Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

We even got Fergie involved but he and his family refused.

The only way we would have gotten Bellingham is by not signing VDB and selling one of Fred or McT, which obviously we would do in hindsight, but would have caused fan riots last summer.
I disagree. I think money would have talked, if we put the money we spent on VDB towards what we were offering Bellingham we could probably have convinced him. I dont think for one second he doesnt have the confidence to take on McTominay and Fred knowing that he'd end up the starting player. Especially if we were offering him plenty of money and making a big deal of signing him. I mean he went to Germany at 16 years old, hes playing for England - this is not someone who lacks confidence

Rojow

If Bellinngham would've came here it would be the same as Diallo. Good move for him going to Dortmund.

TheBreadTruck

We had tracked him for ages, brought him to Carrington in January, rolled out Sir Alex etc. He made his choice because there is more than one football team in the world, which some forget. It’s obvious what Dortmund gives you. The people in this thread wanting to sign the 21 year old Sancho instead of giving the 18 year old Diallo the same program Dortmund gave the same Sancho is an example of why Dortmund will always hold an obvious appeal.
The fact they let him (apparently) wrote playing time into his contract may have been a deciding factor too...

Nick7

We had tracked him for ages, brought him to Carrington in January, rolled out Sir Alex etc. He made his choice because there is more than one football team in the world, which some forget. It’s obvious what Dortmund gives you. The people in this thread wanting to sign the 21 year old Sancho instead of giving the 18 year old Diallo the same program Dortmund gave the same Sancho is an example of why Dortmund will always hold an obvious appeal.
What’s the point in buying any players then? I suppose we should just play our u23s considering a lot of them have potential too.

CM

I disagree. I think money would have talked, if we put the money we spent on VDB towards what we were offering Bellingham we could probably have convinced him. I dont think for one second he doesnt have the confidence to take on McTominay and Fred knowing that he'd end up the starting player. Especially if we were offering him plenty of money and making a big deal of signing him. I mean he went to Germany at 16 years old, hes playing for England - this is not someone who lacks confidence
We tried to bring him here. He didn't want to come, why fixate on it? Move on

Ekeke

We tried to bring him here. He didn't want to come, why fixate on it? Move on
Because someone is disagreeing that it was a mistake when we forked out loads of cash on a different midfielder instead of him. I didnt think he'd play as many games in CM for us as he did for Dortmund and if we had paid a large amount of money for him last summer I would have felt that would be a gamble. I would have been wrong though, hes now playing games for England at 17 and whatever we would have paid for him he would be worth double that in a year or two

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What’s the point in buying any players then? I suppose we should just play our u23s considering a lot of them have potential too.
What are you on about mate? Diallo and Bellingham would have been players we bought. The question is whether these players will play here as much as they can play at Dortmund. The answer is likely ‘no’, which explains why some will choose Dortmund over us.

An established 26 year old is very unlikely to choose Dortmund over is.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'll be honest, I've not seen a single minute of him playing in the bundesliga or the CL for Dortmund. I've only ever seen him for England and even then it's only been meaningless friendlies. So from my limited exposure to him, he doesnt seem anything special. I didn't see him beat a man, dribble (actually he did but he lost the ball) and his passing was nothing great. How is he in the bundesliga?
He's more the Bernardo Silva type of winger than Sadio Mané or Rashford. One twos, changes of direction, lots of short passes and body feints instead of bursting past the defender. Rather drops back to receive the ball and initiate attacks than making runs in behind. Many actions on the ball, likes to let it circulate etc. Leaves providing width to the full back. Very good at opening up small passing lanes and playing through them but rather recycles possession than risks losing the ball through a long shot or early key pass. Good but nothing special in isolated one on ones on the wing but excellent at beating multiple players through close control and feints in tight spaces. Good pace bht also nothing special, maybe an 8/10. Stylewise a typical Barca player if that makes sense. Very close to Neymar overall but less direct I'd say.

Edit: Here's a very god highlight video, IMO:

TheBreadTruck

AWB gets forward and into pretty good positions. Godfrey clearly looks like a CB playing RB
Good point, but I was being partly facetious tbh - I don't actually think Sancho requires an offensive right back/wing back behind him to be super effective.

SinNombre

Exactly, well said.

CM

Because someone is disagreeing that it was a mistake when we forked out loads of cash on a different midfielder instead of him. I didnt think he'd play as many games in CM for us as he did for Dortmund and if we had paid a large amount of money for him last summer I would have felt that would be a gamble. I would have been wrong though, hes now playing games for England at 17 and whatever we would have paid for him he would be worth double that in a year or two
It's hardly a mistake if we were already in for him though. We tried to get Bellingham but he was determined to play for Dortmund. I very much doubt it was a question of money.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes this is my biggest worry. He has class and skill but in our current attacking approach (or the lack of it), we don't excel in putting our attacking players in situations where they can isolate the opposition. We don't create space for attacking transitions and overlaps. Sancho doesn't look like he has the physical ability (elite burst of space/strength) or playing style for 1-on-1 duels against lines of defence.

The contrast in this game between Sancho and Grealish, who basically moved forward and took players on at will is so stark.

Problem is both are not the 'solution' to our right winger issues. Both would be great players to have simply for their talent and long term potential but if I had to choose, I'd opt for a Varane/elite CB and a striker before right wing.
I also think you have brillant talent already in Rashford, Greenwood, Diallo and even Martial. Fixing tge things that would most likely hold back Sancho would also make their lifes much easier. Implementing clear attacking patterns and automatisms will make them look much better and chances are that you don't even need Sancho anymore than. I'd also say the weak spots in terms of quality are CB and CM and the striker position needs a long term solution. Also Bruno and Pogba to me seem to be two players of similar style so you might optimize there as well. Wijnaldum for instance could've been great for you, too.

diarm

I watched a fair bit of Sancho and I like him, but if I hadn't I would be looking at that video and feeling pretty unimpressed.

It's titled "Sancho is a dribbling master" and shows around a hundred clips of him starting dribbles, then cutting away before he loses possession.

Dazzmondo

You’re conveniently ignoring that Sancho clearly isn’t a natural right winger himself.
Except he is a natural right winger. Sancho's played more games for Dortmund on the RW than he has the LW.

Trophy Room

This is a sideways signing I think. I’ve never been that impressed. He’ll do a job on the right but won’t elevate us.

Don Juan Matus

Spot on mate

Dazzmondo

This is spot on. Sancho isn't a natural on the right side. I just hope Solskjaer isn't as naive as some of the posts I've read on here about Sancho.
Yes he is a natural on the right side. He's played far more for Dortmund on the RW than he has on the LW.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
For the status he's got on here and money involved I hope he's a genuine world-beater.

MadMike

Yes he is a natural on the right side. He's played far more for Dortmund on the RW than he has on the LW.
That means precisely feck all. Footballers play where their team needs them to play, not where they are necessarily more comfortable or more natural. Just because Dortmund played him more on the right, doesn't mean he's more natural there.

Dan Micciche the England youth coach said he always looked more comfortable on the left. Which is also what your eyes tell you when you watch him play.

MDFC Manager

He's more the Bernardo Silva type of winger than Sadio Mané or Rashford. One twos, changes of direction, lots of short passes and body feints instead of bursting past the defender. Rather drops back to receive the ball and initiate attacks than making runs in behind. Many actions on the ball, likes to let it circulate etc. Leaves providing width to the full back. Very good at opening up small passing lanes and playing through them but rather recycles possession than risks losing the ball through a long shot or early key pass. Good but nothing special in isolated one on ones on the wing but excellent at beating multiple players through close control and feints in tight spaces. Good pace bht also nothing special, maybe an 8/10. Stylewise a typical Barca player if that makes sense. Very close to Neymar overall but less direct I'd say.

The player you describe is exactly what we need, not another pacy winger. We struggle to beat compact teams, Sancho is what we need.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There was once a man who lived in Germany and people didn't think much of him at 21.

But then he became one of the greatest.

That man's name?

Albert Einstein

Bratt

There was once a man who lived in Germany and people didn't think much of him at 21.

But then he became one of the greatest.

That man's name?

Albert Einstein
Meh, we probably would’ve played him on the left.

MadMike

The player you describe is exactly what we need, not another pacy winger. We struggle to beat compact teams, Sancho is what we need.
We have Mata and Diallo as players with good link up and passing skills as opposed to fast dribblers. The former was barely used this year against packed defences cause Ole never rotates. The latter should be getting his chance next season.

Really we have 3 players that can play on the left (Rashford, Martial, James) and 3 on the right (Greenwood, Mata, Diallo). I'm really not sure where Sancho fits and whether he would make much of a difference for the money he will cost. Greenwood and Rashfords numbers are already very solid. We'll have more depth and we can move Mata on but that's it. It would negatively impact Diallo's development as well, as others have mentioned. What was the point of signing him if we're gonna get Sancho next year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Except he is a natural right winger. Sancho's played more games for Dortmund on the RW than he has the LW.
Where he has played more is irrelevant. I don’t beed a Transfermarkt.com run through - anyone who watches the player can see that RW is not his optimal position. He is a right footed player, who does not have extreme physical gifts, but has great short passing, creativity, dribbling and vision. He is, I’d even say obviously so, better suited to playing from the left and drifting inside.

I think people are burying their hears in the sand with Sancho and forcing themselves to see things due to having committed to the player. And his main position at Dortmund is from the left these days.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The more I watch him the more confused I am why he's rated so highly...in terms of a signing for us anyway.

He would solve precisely none of the problems in our team, and possibly create a new problem of having yet another player milling about in the area of the pitch that is neither in the box or on the wing, and not really doing anything, despite the opposition having everyone sat behind the ball.

He might be a very good player somewhere some day but I'd put money on it not being on the right side of Manchester United's attack.

RUCK4444

He would solve precisely none of the problems in our team, and possibly create a new problem of having yet another player milling about in the area of the pitch that is neither in the box or on the wing, and not really doing anything, despite the opposition having everyone sat behind the ball.
This is my worst fear with us signing him.

It's hardly a mistake if we were already in for him though. We tried to get Bellingham but he was determined to play for Dortmund. I very much doubt it was a question of money.
no clearly not about money.

the lad has made a sensible career decision. He needs games, and it’s obviously easier and with less pressure to do that at Dortmund.

we have to accept we can’t buy every up and coming youngster. Often it’s better for them to go elsewhere, and we look to buy them when they can slot straight into the first team.

Yes it costs more, but that’s just part of being a big club, we cannot afford to give every young player the game time that’s essential for them to become a top player.

MadMike

Where he has played more is irrelevant. I don’t beed a Transfermarkt.com run through - anyone who watches the player can see that RW is not his optimal position. He is a right footed player, who does not have extreme physical gifts, but has great short passing, creativity, dribbling and vision. He is, I’d even say obviously so, better suited to playing from the left and drifting inside.

I think people are burying their hears in the sand with Sancho and forcing themselves to see things due to having committed to the player. And his main position at Dortmund is from the left these days.
This so much. Happens every time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like Sancho, I think he’s quality, but the time for trying to just add quality players with little thought of how they will fit in has surely passed for us.

If Sancho was coming to fill a LW void, or even play as a 10, I’d be all for it. As a RW, give me the two lefties in Greenwood and Amad. I don’t think Sancho is better than Greenwood anyway, and I have doubts as to whether he’s better than a Diallo who gets to play 100 games in a row for Dortmund either. I’m not anti-signings by any stretch. I’d pay the £150m for Haaland right now. I’d pay £100m for Frenkie De Jong. But Sancho solves little other than depth for me. And with limited resources, the players we bring in, especially for big money, need to be the ones that make a big difference to what we currently have.

dinostar77

Christen Falk from BILD has tweeted that there is no offer and no negotiations between Utd and Dortmund foe Sancho. Nothing going on.

What reliable source said we are negotiating for him?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I don't quite understand people to be fair. He has a mediocre game today and now people don't want him, or say that he's not who we need and he won't improve us.

Yet if we fail to get him, and he goes to Liverpool or Chelsea, we'd be a useless club for failing to get our man again and he'll transform whoever he's with because he's absolute quality etc.

Seems like some people are hard to please.

Christen Falk from BILD has tweeted that there is no offer and no negotiations between Utd and Dortmund foe Sancho. Nothing going on.

What reliable source said we are negotiating for him?
Plenty of sources have said we're in discussion, heck i think we even briefed that we're optimistic that a deal will be done. Some have mentioned on here that BILD aren't a good source, but i'm not sure

MadMike

How much of an upgrade is he on Greenwood really?
He isn't, they are different players. One is an attacking midfielder the other is an inside forward, they also have different favourable legs and positions. I doubt he would be able to displace Greenwood on the right, especially as Mason is already maturing so well there. He would provide great depth though and he would cover the left side a lot too.

VivaRonaldo85

Signing a player like Konate and signing Sancho are completely different.
You have to admit our rivals often do their business earlier and more efficiently. Check Chelsea last summer and Liverpool with Jota as recent examples. I can’t have supporters defending our transfer methodology these days. This sancho thing has just rumbled on and on and here we go again for another summer of it most likely.

MadMike

I don't quite understand people to be fair. He has a mediocre game today and now people don't want him, or say that he's not who we need and he won't improve us.

Yet if we fail to get him, and he goes to Liverpool or Chelsea, we'd be a useless club for failing to get our man again and he'll transform whoever he's with because he's absolute quality etc.

Seems like some people are hard to please.
Believe it or not, football fans are not a hive mind who think the same. They are individuals.

Those who will have a moan if he goes elsewhere will likely not be the ones who said that he's not the best fit for us. It will be those who wanted him here.

redshaw

We need more changes to the team and coaching, Sancho isn't going to transform us. I've always said he'll probably look more like his England and CL form and be a bit isolated on the right, he'll be good but not German league numbers. He''s a top quality player that we can use on either side but we also have issues in defence and midfield. It's a shame we can't count on Martial to step in for Rashford while he has surgery.

Incredible individual talent tends to stand out whatever game they play and Grealish is one of those rare players.

Status
Not open for further replies.