Jadon Sancho | First player in Bundesliga history to score 25 goals before his 20th birthday

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
More English players should going to other European leagues!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They should, but as always the national team will do a horrible job giving them a chance if they're not playing in the almighty EPL first.
I don't know what is the problem if they play on Bundesliga, Ligue 1 or Serie A and La Liga. Majority of top NTS have their players playing around Europe.

Classical Mechanic

Got 22 minutes today and bagged 2 assists. Came on when Dortmund were 1-2, the game finished 4-2 with Dortmund top of the Bundesliga.

Second one was a break right at the with the keeper in no man's land but this was a great counter with Reus for the equaliser. Him and Reus seem to have a great understanding.

That's his 5th assist this season having started 0 games and only playing 125 minutes, it puts him at the top of the assists charts for all of Europe's top leagues and is averaging a goal or assist for every 21 minutes on the pitch.

Problem is that Reus has been talking him up as their 'weapon' i.e. a supersub, at his age its good enough but he'd want to be starting. I think he can get marked out of the game when he starts which he needs to work on.

AKDevil

This kid is ridiculous. His next move is Madrid or Barca for £100m. Maybe not for a couple of seasons. Will want to establish himself as a starter at Dortmund so he goes to Spain as established First teamer

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He is really special to watch, I can't wait to see what he does in a few years. He really needs more playing time, because the kid has all you want from a young player, especially intelligence on the ball which is rare for a young player who hasn't had much experience at the professional level.

PoTMS

This kid is the real deal. If we're not in for him, I give up. Fergie would've moved heaven and earth to sign him up.

Irrational.

Why did we not fight tooth and nail for this guy before he went to Dortmund? :(

City must be gutted. But then again they splashed out on Mahrez so he would never have got a chance.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why did we not fight tooth and nail for this guy before he went to Dortmund? :(

City must be gutted. But then again they splashed out on Mahrez so he would never have got a chance.
Who says we didn't? Why would he come here? We have two massive talents the same age group who are nowhere near being first team members. It'd be the same shit he was leaving City because of.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Who says we didn't? Why would he come here? We have two massive talents the same age group who are nowhere near being first team members. It'd be the same shit he was leaving City because of.
You talking Chong and Gomes? Because neither are ready to be first team players.

ivaldo

Yea just like Sancho wasn't ready to be a first team player at City. He wouldn't get a game here.
You can't seriously think they were on the same level as Sancho? Gomes wasn't even a guaranteed starter for England youth in the summer.

R'hllor

Yea those kids arent ready, thank God we have plenty ready ones in our first team, they play like it too.

ivaldo

When he was coming off an injury?
Last summer*

Regardless, he's simply not at the same level as Sancho at the moment. I'm confident he'll get there though.

Im all for giving our youth a change, but to imply that Chong and Gomes should be getting regular football for the first team now is rubbish.

Devil may care

Just saw the Leverkusen/Dortmund game tonight, he made a great impact off the bench, superb for Dortmund's equalizer on the counter, but the commentator said City have first refusal on him, I hadn't heard about that until tonight, we can forget about him.

In Rainbows

You can't seriously think they were on the same level as Sancho? Gomes wasn't even a guaranteed starter for England youth in the summer.
Gomes used to be on the same level as Sancho. Gomes was actually ahead of Foden up until it got close to the Euros. He's struggled with injury and even in non-injury matches he's not had the same impact as those players, which in my view comes from lack of aggression. Since then those 2 have kicked on while Gomes has stagnated in a way relative to his teammates Foden, Hudson Odoi, and Sancho.

worldinmotion66

I watched Sancho for an England youth team maybe four years ago and it was clear that he would become a top player even then - he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the pitch, I was really surprised that city allowed him to leave.

The depressing thing is that these kind of talents won't get their chance in England and they really should. The money and pressure on managers is ruining the game and destroying any hope of our national team improving.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Last summer*

Regardless, he's simply not at the same level as Sancho at the moment. I'm confident he'll get there though.

Im all for giving our youth a change, but to imply that Chong and Gomes should be getting regular football for the first team now is rubbish.
Sancho only got to that level by getting game time at Dortmund though, they gave him a chance to show what he's capable of and he delivered. They shouldn't be getting regular football just yet but in a team painfully devoid of creativity a few minutes in the first team wouldn't hurt anyone, they aren't as far away as some think IMO.

izec

I watched Sancho for an England youth team maybe four years ago and it was clear that he would become a top player even then - he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the pitch, I was really surprised that city allowed him to leave.

The depressing thing is that these kind of talents won't get their chance in England and they really should. The money and pressure on managers is ruining the game and destroying any hope of our national team improving.
If they move abtoad and play, England will be fine. They will be back in the PL at some point, unless they like life outside of England more. I dont see the issue, plenty of young players are moving abroad now, which is good. They used to stay in England and not play regularly. I think going abroad will be excellent for their future, on a personal and professional level

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
But at the same time you can't seriously think Sancho would have given more of a chance at United under Mourinho than he is getting at Dortmund. It would have been a very weird move.

ivaldo

But at the same time you can't seriously think Sancho would have given more of a chance at United under Mourinho than he is getting at Dortmund. It would have been a very weird move.
In our current situation? No. Nor do I think he would under any manager in our current plight.

ivaldo

Sancho only got to that level by getting game time at Dortmund though, they gave him a chance to show what he's capable of and he delivered. They shouldn't be getting regular football just yet but in a team painfully devoid of creativity a few minutes in the first team wouldn't hurt anyone, they aren't as far away as some think IMO.
He's only started half a dozen times for Dortmund in over a season. I very much doubt that's the reason why he is at his current level.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
City wouldn’t talk to English clubs.
I actually doubt that they would have had much of a choice in that matter. Sancho was in the middle of talks to extend his expiring youth contract, which were put on hold the moment Guardiola did not call him up for their pre season tour. This was when we approached Sancho and offered him a contract.

Our lawyers and officials were actually confident that Sancho was a free agent at this point. Given the fact that signing minors can be tricky and there was chatter that City might even drag the case to sports court, which they would have most likely lost but would have delayed Sancho´s playing permit, we invited them to talks and offered a couple of millions (somewhere between 8-10 Mil. €) for them to terminate all legal connections they had to Sancho from their side. This all went fairly swiftly because we have a good working relationship with them since their signing of Gündogan.

Regarding Sancho´s performances in this season: He is doing really well and is at a very good place in his development. It has to be said, though, that he currently profits a lot from our play style, which invites the opponent to tire themselves out against our defense. The moment the opponent runs out of gas, he is brought on and extremely effective against the tired opposition with his pace and trickery. This makes him very valuable to us and gives him a lot of room and opportunities to shine. His sole starting performance was not nearly as convincing, though, which is completely understandable for a boy at that age. He is not supposed to carry our offensive game right now but to bring needed impulses into it. I expect him to get more starts against smaller opposition as the season goes on and the regular starters need breaks.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Really should be in the next squad.

He's playing a decent amount for Dortmund and they play at higher level than half the players who will be called up.
Would be shocking if he didnt get on the squad just based on the assists he is getting!

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the premier league next season either - probably for a huge fee

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Would be shocking if he didnt get on the squad just based on the assists he is getting!

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the premier league next season either - probably for a huge fee
Doubt it'll be next season. He'll stay there for at least two, probably three, years I reckon. Then if things go as expected he'll have most of the top English clubs after him and he'll be able to choose as he wishes (unfortunately he'll likely do a Pogba and go back to where he started).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Doubt it'll be next season. He'll stay there for at least two, probably three, years I reckon. Then if things go as expected he'll have most of the top English clubs after him and he'll be able to choose as he wishes (unfortunately he'll likely do a Pogba and go back to where he started).
Not sure Watford will be able to afford him.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I dunno - under contract till 2020 (with a 2 year option)
I doubt dortmund would want to leave it 3 years to sell as that would put him in the last year of a contract and able to sign a bosman (presumably post brexit etc) and his value therefore a lot less
I could see this summer or next summer if they got a big offer that they might be tempted ... I also understand he took lower wages than were on offer at city as he wanted to play - but given what he has proved so far if a spurs or Chelsea (afterall his family is from London) came in and lets say gave him 10X the wages and a guarantee of game time and Dortmund got a huge profit then I wouldnt be surprised at all

charlie9882

City will re-buy him.
ITK on Bluemoon has stated that City allegedly have a first option on him and 25% sell on clause, so there is a chance. It's dependant on how long he stays at Dortmund for, though. Sterling and Sane are 23 and 22 respectively, Mahrez still has a number of years ahead of him at 27 and Bernardo, though now much more a central option, is 24.

I could see Sane maybe leaving in the next 2-3 years, which may pave the way for a return for Sancho, I would be surprised though.

Think Sancho needs more starts though before people get too excited. He's coming on at the 70 minute mark against tired legs - obviously with great impact, but he cannot be utilised as a super sub his entire career.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I don't think so. Going to Dortmund was a remarkable move that said a lot about his priorities. It is an unusual destination for an English talent in his situation since they usually prefer staying in the EPL. This suggests that his development is his primary concern so I doubt he'll leave Dortmund after one or even two seasons. Especially since things are turning out that well for him. He's found the perfect environment for his development and it would be dumb to risk that although he has all the time in the world. And since his career decisions were very intelligent I can't imagine he's abandoning his priorities anytime soon.