g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jadon Sancho (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrion

Used to watch him for England and wonder what the hype was. Just looker a simple pass back to who he got the ball off merchant

But then withall the talk of being a wonder kid and doing great in Germany I was keen on the move.

What a letdown.
You just know with it being us involved we'll end up writing the whole transfer fee off and success will be not having to contribute to the wages.
Normally we have to write off the whole fee. Its amazing how badly its gone. I read an article in the guardian that said United had "done their homework" on Sancho and then 2 paragraphs later, admitted United were surprised that he preferred to play on the left.

Obviously he was flattered by the level in the Bundesliga but he's better than he's shown with us. Unfortunately he's not bothered to change it so he should be kicked out the door. If ten Hag doesn't make the whole season, I hope his replacement keeps the door shut to Sancho.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The fault absolutely lies with Sancho. No doubt about that. But the underlying mindset was present before you got him. And you should have considered it. I believe players like this can be somewhat guided to success. We saw it with Neymar, for example. Back at Barca he was playing at an unreal level. At Paris he declined rather quickly to the point that I believe some people have forgotten how good he was. Him being so good at Barca is partly down to the leaders the club had at the time. You don't down tools when Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and others are playing in your team. Or Özil at Real. And if you do, you won't be part of the team any longer, no matter who you are. Sancho never had this positive pressure from his teammates at United, I believe. And this would have been necessary in order to compensate for his lack of intrinsic motivation.
I don't think it is always bad or wrong to sign players like this. But you can only afford this type of players in certain situations. Yours just isn't right for someone like him. But I felt you were so desperate for someone like him, young, English and loaded with potential, that once you knew you could actually get him, you just ignored the warning signs.
On the pitch the weaknesses are not similar. Neymar is a brave footballer who thrives in congested spaces, rough treatment and enjoys embarrassing defenders. Sancho is a wimp who doesn’t want to get his feet dirty at all. He’s such a meek football it feels like a huge insult to Neymar - one is the best of his general to draw this comparison. Neymar may not have had Messi / Ronaldo focus and physical endurance but he’s achieved a lot and he wouldn’t if he had Sancho’s on field wimpness.

OleGunnar20

I wonder if we can bag £30m for him even given the current mess. He doesn't strike me as someone open to a trip to Saudi just yet. That'd be too easy for us, not our style.

I'm expecting a loan to the likes of Juve where he'll do okay, then hopefully a fee of some sorts in the summer.

Whether ETH stays or goes I think the vast majority of fans want to see the back of him at this point anyway. What a waste..

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Given that he's created this imaginary world where he's been unjustly treated and is doing no wrong by standing his ground, I wondered if he'd move to another club and try to prove us wrong by committing himself there. But then I remembered why he created that imaginary world in the first place - because he's a lazy git who doesn't have the mental mettle needed to succeed under pressure, and would rather kick up a fuss than step onto the pitch and try.

I would be willing to bet that he's peaked already and that his career will only go downhill from here unless he feels genuine remorse and starts applying himself - something he hasn't done in his career so far.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I think it was pretty clear for awhile before he moved to United that he couldn't thrive in England. The performances for England. I think anyone with the job of scout could easily have seen that the setup in Germany was different to what he'd face in England, and that at United in particular he was going to struggle. It should have been seen more as a calculated risk, not as the sure thing it was touted as being.
That is my problem with manutd scouting system. I mean EVERY SINGLE one of us knew its a farmers league. Any scount worth his salt naturally would take that into account before sending any report right? They make same mistake over and over again. Sancho, antoni, mason. I don't know if its all glazers but Oh my god heads should roll.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That is my problem with manutd scouting system. I mean EVERY SINGLE one of us knew its a farmers league. Any scount worth his salt naturally would take that into account before sending any report right? They make same mistake over and over again. Sancho, antoni, mason. I don't know if its all glazers but Oh my god heads should roll.
But why don't other imported players who play for other clubs in the Premier League do well? Kdb, Haaland, Akanji, Sane, Szobo, Firmino are a few examples.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Basically 2 of the very best player in the world right now are coming from farmers league (Haaland and Bellingham), and then we have another one who is still playing in another farmers league (Mbappe).

Of course we should avoid all of them!

Wing Attack Plan R

Basically 2 of the very best player in the world right now are coming from farmers league (Haaland and Bellingham), and then we have another one who is still playing in another farmers league (Mbappe).

If you scouted Haaland, Bellingham, and Mbappe and thought there was no difference between them and Sancho, then you should probably lose your job as a scout.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Another big money signed we’ve wasted money on and about to lose. We could have literally signed a few decent squad players for the price we payed for him. I’d rather get quality in depth from now on rather then splashing a load on 1 player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If you scouted Haaland, Bellingham, and Mbappe and thought there was no difference between them and Sancho, then you should probably lose your job as a scout.
What makes you think Haaland, Bellingham or even Mbappe would have shined here? The set up at our club is partly to blame for ruining some players careers.

ScholesyTheWise

But why don't other imported players who play for other clubs in the Premier League do well? Kdb, Haaland, Akanji, Sane, Szobo, and Firmino are a few examples.
The most crucial factor seems to be that all the players you mentioned were purchased by Pep and Klopp, the 2 best coaches in the world, whose teams have a rather clear vision as to how they want to play.

This thread got me thinking about the physical aspect of the transition from the Bundesliga to the PL.
You can also see it in some of the goals Kane scored for Bayern- defenders hardly put pressure on him.

The players you mentioned seem to be doing quite well with the physicality of the PL,
while for us,
Kagawa, Mkhitarian (sp?), and Sancho have all been brushed so easily off the ball.
It was and is infuriating. makes you wonder what we do differently in training.

As an aside and obviously not meant directly towards you-
Sancho's mental instability should have been atop of every scouting report we had on him.
We didn't need scouts to tell us he performed well for BVB...
We needed them to tell us how he trains and what his surroundings think of the way he leads his life.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The most crucial factor seems to be that all the players you mentioned were purchased by Pep and Klopp, the 2 best coaches in the world, whose teams have a rather clear vision as to how they want to play.

This thread got me thinking about the physical aspect of the transition from the Bundesliga to the PL.
You can also see it in some of the goals Kane scored for Bayern- defenders hardly put pressure on him.

The players you mentioned seem to be doing quite well with the physicality of the PL,
while for us,
Kagawa, Mkhitarian (sp?), and Sancho have all been brushed so easily off the ball.
It was and is infuriating. makes you wonder what we do differently in training.

As an aside and obviously not meant directly towards you-
Sancho's mental instability should have been atop of every scouting report we had on him.
We didn't need scouts to tell us he performed well for BVB...
We needed them to tell us how he trains and what his surroundings think of the way he leads his life.
Yes these players came to my mind because I mostly watch big teams playing and couldn't think of other players who were signed by smaller clubs. If you think harder, Diaby lately for Villa? Gross for Brighton? Another one from Liverpool is their French CB they signed from Leipzig.

There are some failures too like Werner, Havertz and Naby Keita. But our signings from Buli have been horrendous to say the least.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
A few things:

- Sancho was never judged solely for his performance in the Bundesliga; the CL is seen as the equaliser or the weighted gauge, and he performed well in that.

- The football Sancho thrives in, neither we nor England played.

- It is never considered that the other talent youngsters who left Dortmund all went to better teams playing even better football than they were part of at Dortmund.

- Sancho is considerably less athletic than any of the others. In fact: Dembele, Haaland and Bellimgham are top percentile athletic specimens for their positions. Sancho has no choice but to play a cleaner, more team-centric game than any of them. He's physically incapable of being an island and needs good, progressive football to do his thing. He is the weakest soloist of the lot, but the best connective player.

It honestly seems like United has no idea what they were buying. Personality and character flaws aside, there seems to be no clue of the player he is on the pitch, either. Any player profile of his would surely make clear his strengths, weaknesses and the environments he's succeeded in as well as where he was found to be out of his comfort zone. You simply have to take these things into account and purchase with them in mind, otherwise it's a road to ruin for both parties.

SirMonteyne

What makes you think Haaland, Bellingham or even Mbappe would have shined here? The set up at our club is partly to blame for ruining some players careers.
True, talented players become world-class with the right coach and luck. Unfortunately, Sancho isn't with the right one. He has great technical ability and could be successful under the right coach.

AndySmith1990

True, talented players become world-class with the right coach and luck. Unfortunately, Sancho isn't with the right one. He has great technical ability and could be successful under the right coach.
Blaming other people for someone's failings is common on here and I don't buy it. It speaks of a poor mentality and lack of accountability.

Any player can be successful if they buckle down, work hard, make the necessary sacrifices required of professional athletes, and be the best version of themselves they can be.

Just as a manager can be successful here regardless of the owners. Because ultimately they all have the means to be successful, from financial backing to facilities to resources

ElDiabloRojo

And dogged determination, hard work, desire, dedication.....

Kingslayer18

There are a few really good young English players who’d have been much better and infinitely cheaper signings for us with the benefit of hindsight. Eze, Olise, Gibbs-White to name three. Huge transfers rarely work out. Even more rarely from the BL. Doesn’t mean the BL is a bad source of players, just means I would hardly ever spend big money on a BL player unless they were unequivocally brilliant. Haaland, De Bruyne, Lewandowski level.

Otherwise I’d be capping my spend on that league to 40ishM. Wirtz looks a big talent from there, but I’d want a heavily incentivised deal to sign him. Like 40-50m up front and the rest in bonuses. Only BL player I’d spend big on right now, who looks a sure bet for any league in the world, is Musiala.

TBF there were plenty of warning signs that most of us wanted to ignore. Including me. Was signed to play right wing, because that was our problem position, despite everyone knowing deep down he preferred the left. Never, ever possessed any extraordinary physical gifts, in that he wasn’t rapier quick or strong. Just a moderately quick acceleration. If you looked at a lot of his highlights from the BL, he tallied up great numbers taking advantage of space he wouldn’t be afforded in the PL, especially playing for a top team against low blocks. He also had lots of fitness issues at Dortmund, not so much with injuries, but returning from the off season in poor shape, being overweight etc. He was also admonished a few times for poor discipline and time keeping.

These were all things we chose to ignore, because we’ve been desperate for a revival of our fortunes for so long.

He’s clearly better than what he’s shown, but I don’t think he was ever anywhere near as good as any of us thought. A big reason he rarely, ever stood out for England, even at his peak Dortmund confidence days.

Another shit transfer where the club hasn’t done its homework or used a data driven approach. We can file Antony under that category too. Players who were signed under the “eye test”, by popular demand, or due to manager familiarity. I bet if you look at the underlying data of both, in metrics that would apply to the PL, the data would show them to be shit potential transfers.

Three years ago I think it was the Athletic who used a data driven analysis to analyse the gaps in United’s on field performance and then tried to match them with players whose on field metrics matched the needs of the team. The two names that stood out head and shoulders above the rest, in terms of being transformative in how we’d play were Camavinga and Frimpong. Who were both available at very reasonable fees at the time.

It wasn’t too long after we ignored what the data was telling us, by instead signing Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo; that it fell apart. At that point, another data driven analysis by the hugely unpopular Rangnick, suggested we buy Enzo Fernandez (available for <20m), Nkunku, Gvardiol (would’ve cost about what Casemiro cost at that time), Julian Alvarez (25m) and Luis Diaz. So there is quite literally evidence out there in the public domain that we could’ve had a team with Gvardiol, Frimpong, Camavinga, Enzo, Nkunku, Diaz and Alvarez for about what Sancho, Antony, Mount and Varane cost. We also wouldn’t have had to spend 65m on a 30 year old DM either.

And this is just shit in the public domain. Imagine how bad it is behind the scenes. The players we’ve ignored, the recommendations we’ve brushed aside. We set up a whole DoF style system under a proven DoF in Rangnick and then ditched it because of a bad six months as coach and on the advice of the new manager who wanted full control. Which is the antithesis of the whole purpose of having a DoF. This club just doesn’t have any joined up thinking.

Frankly, if United are interested in a player under the Glazers, I just assume that he is overpriced shit at this point.

Great analysis of the disjointed thinking within our recruitment. However we don't know if the names discussed by RR were data driven or players he had identified as part of video analysis or watching them live. Although all the names would not only have significantly improved us but would have lowered the age profile of the team. Imagine if ETH had walked into the club with those players already in or recruited in his first transfer window. I'm pretty sure we would have a much better system of playing and style, as opposed to what we are seeing now. It did raise a few red flags when the news came out that ETH didn't want to meet RR at all and I got the sense he wanted an opportunity to replicate the system he had at Utrecht where he was both manager and DOR. Fan accounts of his time there showed that he brings in very average players, improves them whilst he is the coach and those same players fail to hit the same heights when he leaves and they play under a different manager.

No matter the change in ownership, the most important thing Ratcliffe can do, is improve our recruitment model. That is 50% of the reason why we have a weirdly built squad and lack of definitive playing style.

SirMonteyne

Blaming other people for someone's failings is common on here and I don't buy it. It speaks of a poor mentality and lack of accountability.

Any player can be successful if they buckle down, work hard, make the necessary sacrifices required of professional athletes, and be the best version of themselves they can be.

Just as a manager can be successful here regardless of the owners. Because ultimately they all have the means to be successful, from financial backing to facilities to resources
I want to clarify that I am not trying to blame or engage in internet bullying towards anyone. The situation, players, and manager's issues at Manchester United are not personal to me. I simply believe that ETH is not the best fit for Sancho to succeed. Every player is different and some require additional factors to thrive.

I do not think that Sancho has a poor mentality since he was able to secure a weekly wage of 350k at one of the biggest football clubs. He was one of the early arrivals at the summer camp, performed excellently during pre-season and contributed very well in the few matches he played after coming from the bench. Therefore, there must be other issues beyond social media posts that are causing problems between them.

I am 100% sure he will be a successful player at the other club, and wish him the best after the transfer window opens.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It would be crazy if both he and Richy went to Saudi. Both are far better than that and it's sad how one wrong move can completely derail a career.

whitbyviking

Problem Sancho has is he shows he folds when the pressure is on and he isn’t getting things his way. It’s hard to see how he rises up from this again without a massive shift in mental attitude and physical application. Coaches in the top leagues would fancy their chances of being able to stop him, no matter which league he is in. Every fast, physical, strong fullback would be licking their lips facing him.

ScholesyTheWise

I want to clarify that I am not trying to blame or engage in internet bullying towards anyone. The situation, players, and manager's issues at Manchester United are not personal to me. I simply believe that ETH is not the best fit for Sancho to succeed. Every player is different and some require additional factors to thrive.
It's an interesting one because if you look at the football ETH had Ajax playing,
and how much emphasis he put on the pass-and-move aspect of the attacking play,

you would have thought that Sancho would find his feet in such football [Contrary to Ole-ball which generally was a mess and relied on individuals doing their thing on their own, rather than a cohesive attacking unit that created ample chances for individuals to indeed do their thing in a more constructive way].

But it turns out ETH's football isn't all that different from Ole's bar a couple of months last year.

So again Sancho plays, when he plays, within a disjointed attack.

As I posted earlier, I think his attitude is the bigger problem.
Man United of the last decade is one of the most demanding environments in European football.
The pressure is immense.

I have very little faith that he's gonna star at his next club, so long as it's a top team in a top league.
Sure he can excel once more in the Bundesliga at some top 4 club with no real pressure whatsoever.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Read my post carefully again. Thanks.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Being booted from a WhatsApp group is the modern day equivalent of being put on the back of a horse and marched out of town.

Mylock

There are a few really good young English players who’d have been much better and infinitely cheaper signings for us with the benefit of hindsight. Eze, Olise, Gibbs-White to name three. Huge transfers rarely work out. Even more rarely from the BL. Doesn’t mean the BL is a bad source of players, just means I would hardly ever spend big money on a BL player unless they were unequivocally brilliant. Haaland, De Bruyne, Lewandowski level.

Otherwise I’d be capping my spend on that league to 40ishM. Wirtz looks a big talent from there, but I’d want a heavily incentivised deal to sign him. Like 40-50m up front and the rest in bonuses. Only BL player I’d spend big on right now, who looks a sure bet for any league in the world, is Musiala.

TBF there were plenty of warning signs that most of us wanted to ignore. Including me. Was signed to play right wing, because that was our problem position, despite everyone knowing deep down he preferred the left. Never, ever possessed any extraordinary physical gifts, in that he wasn’t rapier quick or strong. Just a moderately quick acceleration. If you looked at a lot of his highlights from the BL, he tallied up great numbers taking advantage of space he wouldn’t be afforded in the PL, especially playing for a top team against low blocks. He also had lots of fitness issues at Dortmund, not so much with injuries, but returning from the off season in poor shape, being overweight etc. He was also admonished a few times for poor discipline and time keeping.

These were all things we chose to ignore, because we’ve been desperate for a revival of our fortunes for so long.

He’s clearly better than what he’s shown, but I don’t think he was ever anywhere near as good as any of us thought. A big reason he rarely, ever stood out for England, even at his peak Dortmund confidence days.

Another shit transfer where the club hasn’t done its homework or used a data driven approach. We can file Antony under that category too. Players who were signed under the “eye test”, by popular demand, or due to manager familiarity. I bet if you look at the underlying data of both, in metrics that would apply to the PL, the data would show them to be shit potential transfers.

Three years ago I think it was the Athletic who used a data driven analysis to analyse the gaps in United’s on field performance and then tried to match them with players whose on field metrics matched the needs of the team. The two names that stood out head and shoulders above the rest, in terms of being transformative in how we’d play were Camavinga and Frimpong. Who were both available at very reasonable fees at the time.

It wasn’t too long after we ignored what the data was telling us, by instead signing Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo; that it fell apart. At that point, another data driven analysis by the hugely unpopular Rangnick, suggested we buy Enzo Fernandez (available for <20m), Nkunku, Gvardiol (would’ve cost about what Casemiro cost at that time), Julian Alvarez (25m) and Luis Diaz. So there is quite literally evidence out there in the public domain that we could’ve had a team with Gvardiol, Frimpong, Camavinga, Enzo, Nkunku, Diaz and Alvarez for about what Sancho, Antony, Mount and Varane cost. We also wouldn’t have had to spend 65m on a 30 year old DM either.

And this is just shit in the public domain. Imagine how bad it is behind the scenes. The players we’ve ignored, the recommendations we’ve brushed aside. We set up a whole DoF style system under a proven DoF in Rangnick and then ditched it because of a bad six months as coach and on the advice of the new manager who wanted full control. Which is the antithesis of the whole purpose of having a DoF. This club just doesn’t have any joined up thinking.

Frankly, if United are interested in a player under the Glazers, I just assume that he is overpriced shit at this point.
Great Post, identifying and closing the deals early has been the issue for years at United. We may have identified the right players but can't seem to get the deals over the line at the right price.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A few things:

- Sancho was never judged solely for his performance in the Bundesliga; the CL is seen as the equaliser or the weighted gauge, and he performed well in that.

- It is never considered that the other talent youngsters who left Dortmund all went to better teams playing even better football than they were part of at Dortmund.

- Sancho is considerably less athletic than any of the others. In fact: Dembele, Haaland and Bellimgham are top percentile athletic specimens for their positions. Sancho has no choice but to play a cleaner, more team-centric game than any of them. He's physically incapable of being an island and needs good, progressive football to do his thing. He is the weakest soloist of the lot, but the best connective player.

It honestly seems like United has no idea what they were buying. Personality and character flaws aside, there seems to be no clue of the player he is on the pitch, either. Any player profile of his would surely make clear his strengths, weaknesses and the environments he's succeeded in as well as where he was found to be out of his comfort zone. You simply have to take these things into account and purchase with them in mind, otherwise it's a road to ruin for both parties.
It's also pretty telling that Ten Hag decided to abandon his typically Ajax positional game approach to play a transition style. Sancho would have been ideal for the football Ten Hag wanted to see in the Netherlands but definitely not for whatever he's trying now. Even though he can definitely do a better job than he did.

flameinthesun

A few things:

Very good post and sums up my thoughts as well. The athleticism part is the key. Rather than comparing Sancho to Rashford, Salah, Son type wingers you can just compare him to the likes of the Silvas, they both are more physical, have at least got that initial burst of acceleration to get away and more importantly have that strong core strength to ride challenges. Add in their sublime touch and they are able to thrive in the prem.

Sancho for me:
- Too physically weak to fend off challenges
- Has no acceleration to get past players
- Has a good touch and close control but nowhere close to the likes of the Silvas
- His passing, vision and finishing, as great as it was in bundesliga/cl, just isn't elite enough to make up for the above
- Most importantly he hasn't got the mental fortitude to overcome those weaknesses

To me he's in the same mould as Lingard. Very similar players, very similar strengths and weaknesses. At least with Lingard he had a little bit of pace to help him out.

I also think you can take a look at city and Pep and see how Pep has developed the city team to not just be skillful but also powerful. They are one of the strongest/powerful/ quickest teams in the league. If you have got pace and/or power, then you need to be elite on the ball and Sancho is neither.

I think outside of Saudi Arabie we are going to struggle to get a lot of money for him. It makes no sense for a prem team to buy him, which leaves the Saudis who can give us a decent amount of money or European teams who can't really offer decent money for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sancho for me:
- Too physically weak to fend off challenges
- Has no acceleration to get past players
- Has a good touch and close control but nowhere close to the likes of the Silvas
- His passing, vision and finishing, as great as it was in bundesliga/cl, just isn't elite enough to make up for the above
- Most importantly he hasn't got the mental fortitude to overcome those weaknesses

To me he's in the same mould as Lingard. Very similar players, very similar strengths and weaknesses. At least with Lingard he had a little bit of pace to help him out.
That is so far off, I don't even know where to start

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Feel free to challenge it. All the evidence from his time at United points to me being correct.
Even though his performances for United were much worse than what we were used to, it was obvious that he has great technique, is excellent in small spaces and has brillant linkup play. If you didn't see that, you probably simply don't have an eye for such things.

Anyway, it is a stupid to only judge him based on his performances for United as most players drop several levels when joining this team. This whole line of argument builds on the Bundesliga being so far worse than the EPL that a player who set records in terms of goal contributions both in total as well as per 90 isn't even good enough to cut it at a top 6 team in England. And while it might be fun as a United fan to shit on the Bundesliga, if you use your brain for one second then it is completely obvious that this reasoning is totally illogical. The teams you aspire to be built their success on Bundesliga talent, the reigning triple winner had three former Dortmund players in their starting eleven who all perform better in the EPL than in the BL. So if Sancho was an elite dribbler, an elite passer, an elite finisher in the Bundesliga, he should still do relatively well in the EPL. Maybe not 17/17 in 2500 minutes kind of well, but still much better. And I'm absolutely sure he would confirm his Dortmund form in the EPL as well if he hadn't made such a terrible career decision in joining Manchester United.

I mean, let's be real: Most people just shit on the Bundesliga because it makes them feel better about the depressing state United is in. But if it makes you feel better, just stick with it :)

TempusFugit

He got us good. Salah level wages for a nothing player, and he's happy to sit around getting paid for doing nothing. All in the name of a disagreement with the manager. What about the fans who made it possible for you to earn that much? The club? Your pride as a professional footballer? He doesn't really care about anything other than himself. From wonder kid who had it all to this. Can't even get a spot in the English team anymore.

I wonder if he feels sorry for himself. He'd rather stay at home during a very rough period for the club when he could be playing and contributing even if he wanted to leave. Other players have done it but he thinks he's so special and above us. One of our worst signings ever.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Even though his performances for United were much worse than what we were used to, it was obvious that he has great technique, is excellent in small spaces and has brillant linkup play. If you didn't see that, you probably simply don't have an eye for such things.

Anyway, it is a stupid to only judge him based on his performances for United as most players drop several levels when joining this team. This whole line of argument builds on the Bundesliga being so far worse than the EPL that a player who set records in terms of goal contributions both in total as well as per 90 isn't even good enough to cut it at a top 6 team in England. And while it might be fun as a United fan to shit on the Bundesliga, if you use your brain for one second then it is completely obvious that this reasoning is totally illogical. The teams you aspire to be built their success on Bundesliga talent, the reigning triple winner had three former Dortmund players in their starting eleven who all perform better in the EPL than in the BL. So if Sancho was an elite dribbler, an elite passer, an elite finisher in the Bundesliga, he should still do relatively well in the EPL. Maybe not 17/17 in 2500 minutes kind of well, but still much better. And I'm absolutely sure he would confirm his Dortmund form in the EPL as well if he hadn't made such a terrible career decision in joining Manchester United.

I mean, let's be real: Most people just shit on the Bundesliga because it makes them feel better about the depressing state United is in. But if it makes you feel better, just stick with it :)
I agree. The disdain fans of Premier League teams have for other leagues is irrational, I am pretty sure we would not be a top 4 team in Bundesliga currently.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I could be wrong, but I doubt you are one of those very very very few people out there (probably they don't exist) who are being strongly vocal against the signing of Sancho back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.