g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Does this mean we just cant sign top talent any more? We didnt get Haaland, Dortmund did, we cant get Sancho, Koulibaly who was a target last year is looking likely to join City.

I get that there are extraneous circumstances around at the moment, and we had reasons not to sign Haaland, but still its becoming a bit of a trend.
We've literally just signed Van de Beek, Bruno Fernandes and Maguire? All of which were targets for other top clubs.

The issue here is the club is mistakenly trying to take a moral high ground and demand the price be lower because of the global pandemic which is ultimately just a cheap strategy to try and save money.

ShinjiNinja26

because if "we do " it will be for what Dortmund want and we will show other clubs if they hold out we will eventually Just pay.
The simple fact is though unless we pay exactly what they want this deal isn’t happening. the situation hasn’t changed at all, it was the case the day the window opened and will be the same the day it shuts. It’s always came down to are we willing to pay that sort of money for Sancho and by the looks of it we obviously aren’t.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I also don’t buy the clubs angle that we are damned if we do. No one is going to criticise us for this deal. Everyone knows this would be an amazing deal for the club and it would show how serious we are. You can’t always negotiate a price down, especially for a player as special as Sancho.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Ultimately, despite Dortmund’s posturing, Sancho is still for sale
How can Luckhurst make such a claim with a straight face at this point in time? Seems like these journos got so invested in their constant "Sancho will be a Utd player, 100%"-narrative that they are unable to dig themselvs out of that rabbithole.

Sambob

We've literally just signed Van de Beek, Bruno Fernandes and Maguire? All of which were targets for other top clubs.

The issue here is the club is mistakenly trying to take a moral high ground and demand the price be lower because of the global pandemic which is ultimately just a cheap strategy to try and save money.
Van de Beek was an odd choice there seeing as he has repeatedly said he wanted a move to Real that didnt materialise, I love Bruno, and I think Maguire is an improvement on what we had but neither of them, at the time of purchase, were TOP TIER talent in the same way Haaland and Sancho are either.

Kapil Srivastav

Agree.. also I believe that with this current squad, we might have fight for fourth position again... Failing which none of the top talents would want to come here next year... So next year even if the owners profess to have money, the desired targets, would have moved to the other clubs.

rollingstoned1

Van de Beek was an odd choice there seeing as he has repeatedly said he wanted a move to Real that didnt materialise, I love Bruno, and I think Maguire is an improvement on what we had but neither of them, at the time of purchase, were TOP TIER talent in the same way Haaland and Sancho are either.
if those 3 aren't 'top tier' then there's no way haaland and sancho are either. we are not exactly talking established world class players here with the 2 of them to feed the doom mongering people want to believe in that not signing Sancho means we are possibly not a big draw anymore. The problem was always the fee, sancho hasn't said he won't move.

Coops73

As things stand.. we would have more chance of signing Callum Hudson-Odoi.. 'The Sanch Saga' must be more demoralising for Ole above anyone else. :annoyed:
Is Callum Hudson-Odoi someone we could seriously consider? Would Chelsea sell?

He seemed quite the talent a year or so ago, got an England debut, Bayern were sniffing around him too but I heard he was unhappy with the amount of game time that he was getting on the back end of last season, still only 19-20 I think.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
That's it. Pretty obvious though we never wanted to send much money this window so this Sancho excuse was pretty handy
Agreed. Dortmund get some stick on this forum, and I dislike them with their "You love to see it" stuff - but at the end of the day, we're the arrogant ones to disregard Dortmund's stance of what they value him at and us thinking we can just delay until they "succumb to our whim" and accept a weaker deal. They have no reason to sell. They have an exciting, young team that will have another good run at Bundesliga and have a crack at going far into the Champions League. They'll get even more for Sancho next season.

We knew how much they wanted - it's not an obscenely out-there price for a player of his quality and potential. It's not as if they've placed a "£700million" price tag on him.

If we weren't happy to pay close to what they wanted - then we should have walked away months ago and got a suitable replacement.

Adamsk7

I wouldn’t mind Hudson Odoi as a backup option. IMO his talent level isn’t miles below Sancho, he just needs to move away from Chelsea and get a fresh start.
no way they sell to us though and even if they did it’d be for a fee that’s way more than what his current performances merit.

Thought Sancho was the one though so I am a bit gutted but hopefully we can still add a few good players and build on last season. I’m certainly not gonna let him not coming wreck my optimism - we’ve got plenty of good players I’m excited to see develop further.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I wouldn’t mind Hudson Odoi as a backup option. IMO his talent level isn’t miles below Sancho, he just needs to move away from Chelsea and get a fresh start.
no way they sell to us though and even if they did it’d be for a fee that’s way more than what his current performances merit.

Thought Sancho was the one though so I am a bit gutted but hopefully we can still add a few good players and build on last season. I’m certainly not gonna let him not coming wreck my optimism - we’ve got plenty of good players I’m excited to see develop further.
The trouble with CHO is that Chelsea would want £70 million + for him. At that figure you may as well just pay the extra and get the far superior Sancho.

We've boxed ourselves into a corner and will end up overpaying on whoever we sign now as clubs will know our desperation after the collapse of the Sancho deal.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sancho is worth 120m so I'm unsure why people think it's an unfair price

Garethw

Agreed. Dortmund get some stick on this forum, and I dislike them with their "You love to see it" stuff - but at the end of the day, we're the arrogant ones to disregard Dortmund's stance of what they value him at and us thinking we can just delay until they "succumb to our whim" and accept a weaker deal. They have no reason to sell. They have an exciting, young team that will have another good run at Bundesliga and have a crack at going far into the Champions League. They'll get even more for Sancho next season.

We knew how much they wanted - it's not an obscenely out-there price for a player of his quality and potential. It's not as if they've placed a "£700million" price tag on him.

If we weren't happy to pay close to what they wanted - then we should have walked away months ago and got a suitable replacement.
Fair play to them. He’s their player and they dictate his value. I don’t have an issue with that.

Personally I can’t stand the cnuts after their pathetic tweets after We signed Mkhitaryan. The whole “enjoy the Europa league” shit was classless.

Baxter

Spurs leading Bale chase according to Ogden, Grealish has signed a new deal.

Hope Woody knows what he’s doing.

Last edited:

Garethw

In a market where Neymar is worth £200 million, i’m utterly surprised that Sancho is not being Valued at £150 million.

Arsenal signed Pepe for nearly £80 million last summer. It makes Sancho at £108 million look like a bargain!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How can Luckhurst make such a claim with a straight face at this point in time? Seems like these journos got so invested in their constant "Sancho will be a Utd player, 100%"-narrative that they are unable to dig themselvs out of that rabbithole.
Why wouldn't he be for sale? If we had the kind of funds we had a few seasons ago and could bid let's say 140 million, Dortmund would refuse? Maybe it's you who is too invested in a pro Bundesliga angle.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In a market where Neymar is worth £200 million, i’m utterly surprised that Sancho is not being Valued at £150 million.

Arsenal signed Pepe for nearly £80 million last summer. It makes Sancho at £108 million look like a bargain!
To be fair Covid does or should lower prices a bit. But 108 is definitely fair imo. Were a bunch of wankers for not seeing him as that figure.

cyberman

Its not that market anymore. Hell that market didnt last long in itself. We are picking up Bruno and VDB, and maybe Regulion for 108m combined these days.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its not that market anymore. Hell that market didnt last long in itself. We are picking up Bruno and VDB, and maybe Regulion for 108m combined these days.
That market never existed, Neymar bought his contract, he was never sold and has therefore nothing to do with the market. Mbappé to PSG could be an example though.

Godfather

Yeah nail on the head. Very frustrating. Thank God we got Greenwood. But relying on such a young lad to carry our attack on the right side for the entire season is probably too much.

Chief123

I've honestly felt 120m Euro is a very fair price for Sancho and quite possibly a bargain in years to come. In the current market prices for the last couple of years, Sancho is absolutely worth 120m. But because he had 2 quiet games against Iceland and Denmark like the rest of the England team, he's not worth it anymore.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I like calling out journalists on their lies and fluff pieces. Sorry if that offends you, Samuel.
Love how when a genuine logical response to another article instead of hysteria is met with calling the poster the author of the article.

Interesting how you state 'lies' too.

So what's the truth then? When are we getting Sancho? Are we getting Sancho?

Come on! We're all waiting Mr Oracle!

Why are you so sure? Or is it all conjecture? Do YOU know what's happening? Why aren't YOU telling us the TRUTH if you are so sure that Luckhurst is telling porkies?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Why wouldn't he be for sale? If we had the kind of funds we had a few seasons ago and could bid let's say 140 million, Dortmund would refuse? Maybe it's you who is too invested in a pro Bundesliga angle.
Because the season is already running, and he is their best player. You don't just let loose on 40+ G+A without replacement signings. Right now, there's nothing tu suggest that BD are willing to sell him. Of course, any player can be had for an immoral
enough sum, but that's not the same as "being for sale".

Status
Not open for further replies.