Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The merits? The merits are that we lose an average player and gain an absolutely world class one? What the feck does this conversation look like in person?

Ole - "If we sell James can we use that money for Sancho?"
Ed - "I'm not convinced. What does Sancho have that James doesn't?"
There's no doubt Sancho is a much better player than James (although I actually like James), but I'm still not sure where this world class tag comes from. I've watched Sancho plenty and I think he'd struggle to make it into our team. He's interchangeable with Martial, Greenwood or Rashford maybe but he isn't streets ahead of any of them, and all three are already proven in the PL while Sancho isn't.

I wouldn't be unhappy to sign him, but I would be questioning why we need him so desperately we're willing to spend above our entire transfer budget and actually have to sell someone who's part of our squad.

Particularly when in our current squad our fourth best attacking player is at a significantly higher level than our best defender.

Brokenbeard

We get him or we don't. Either way this thread shall remain and continued to remind us how bad this club is handeling transfers. Its absolutly outrageous. This his how you divide not unite a fanbase.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Like a 22-year old player cannot improve. Not all signings should mean "oh next Giggs or Bust". He could be a very serviceable-player ala Fletcher. It is just too early.
No I didn't say he won't improve. But there is a chance is to get a generational talent. You don't pass that opportunity for a player who is nowhere near the quality required to become first team regular.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Thing is Goldbridge has said all along it’s about opinion. He thinks he’s been told something by someone but he’s not saying it’s 100 percent.

If this transfer doesn’t happen I’ll be slating the people that run this club not Goldbridge.
That's cool, banter or not Flex will definitely destroy Goldbridge on air.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like a 22-year old player cannot improve. Not all signings should mean "oh next Giggs or Bust". He could be a very serviceable-player ala Fletcher. It is just too early.
It isn't that early really. By 22 players meant for a big club tend to show potential at the very very least. James doesn't seem to have the ability.

Fletcher was extremely highly rated a young player. Tough comprison for James to match

Adamsk7

No I didn't say he won't improve. But there is a chance is to get a generational talent. You don't pass that opportunity for a player who is nowhere near the quality required to become first team regular.
This. There aren't many players I wouldn't sell to get Sancho in. James is on the list of "in a heartbeat" players, which is the next step above the likes of Jones or Rojo who we can't even consider to bring in any money. I don't even think James is as good or will ever be as good as Jesse Lingard!

Woodenlung

But feeling is once we miss out this window we won't go for him again. I could see City signing him if Guardiola leaves next summer actually.

red4ever 79

I could imagine a deal with may be 15m up front with the potential to rise to 25m if he hits a number of milestones. Would not sell for less than we paid for him at this point as we are not overloaded with wide players and he can be used to rotate or in the case of injury problems. If we are signing a true RW then of course that changes things.
If the milestones are set up like thus
Pass ball to opposition
Don't look up
Hit the defender with the cross

Darlington Padgett

There's no doubt Sancho is a much better player than James (although I actually like James), but I'm still not sure where this world class tag comes from. I've watched Sancho plenty and I think he'd struggle to make it into our team. He's interchangeable with Martial, Greenwood or Rashford maybe but he isn't streets ahead of any of them, and all three are already proven in the PL while Sancho isn't.

I wouldn't be unhappy to sign him, but I would be questioning why we need him so desperately we're willing to spend above our entire transfer budget and actually have to sell someone who's part of our squad.

Particularly when in our current squad our fourth best attacking player is at a significantly higher level than our best defender.
He would've been our joint top scorer in the league last season while also having more assists than our front 3 combined.

Castia

I wonder if a lack of sales has really fecked us over. I think the board was expecting Smalling (15m), Rojo (7m), Lingard (18m), Romero (10m) to leave which could have raised around £50m and took a lot off the wage bill.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Definitely not typing this to troll but how the feck can anyone think this deal still has any sort of possibility? Dortmund have just said publicly their stance is not changing over the next 3 days. Their stance being that he is staying this season. It was dead as soon as 3-4 members of the clubs board made public statements that the player was staying. The August 10 deadline clearly wasnt a bluff.
There is still a strong likelihood here that both sides are still playing games. My position on this has for some time been that Dortmund need this transfer to happen in order to balance the books and they are simply playing their hand the best way that they know how.

I dont buy half of the bollocks that we see tweeted from the randoms, but i do believe that every part of this deal is agreed apart from the transfer fee, so Dortmunds 'hand' that they are playing looks a lot like:

Valuable player that wants out
Player has already agreed terms
Massively uncertain next financial year ahead of them
Unlikely that any club will be able to get close to 100m for him next summer

Fair play to them if they are adamant that they won't sell, but I'm not yet convinced.

Artimities

For a club as big as Manchester united, I cant for the life of me see how we are not doing more business in the transfer market. Arguably we are the biggest club in the Premier League. One of the biggest in the world. Money should be pouring in from all over the world. Hell, I see Manchester United jersey's everywhere. Lego paid them for the rights to Old Trafford. Chevy pays them good, and the next sponser will pay even better. 20 million is chump change to this club. If Everton can make moves then there is no excuse. Get it done!

We need a winger to compete... our attack is so one sided now.... we do nothing down the right at all. Everything comes from the left of the middle. Teams no this and are getting tactical with the way they play us.

James is a reserve or sub. He should come in at the end of games to run the defense ragged.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Flex is the adult at the United stand. Then there is the fast talker, dumb (Goldbridge) and dumber (Sajid)
Yup. United Stand & United Central are all entertainment sites lately. Saeed got a funny guy on his podcast - Nuradin. Both talking sense in some parts, while ranting in the same time.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wonder if a lack of sales has really fecked us over. I think the board was expecting Smalling (15m), Rojo (7m), Lingard (18m), Romero (10m) to leave which could have raised around £50m and took a lot of wages off the bill.
I dont think that there is any doubt about that, and its why the majority of our business was always likely to be last minute. It still wouldn't surprise me to see 3 leave and 2 come in before the end

Member 101269

Flex is the adult at the United stand. Then there is the fast talker, dumb (Goldbridge) and dumber (Sajid)
Goldbridge cant decide it is "your" club or he's a fan.. i stopped listening after watching maybe a few episodes.. in terms of Sancho info.. he'll say "ive been saying it for month check it out". but he discussed both sides...

relx

Frnkie Sys
Thought I saw 'Medical' on the thread title at the forums tab but it turned out to be 'Michael' instead :(:lol:

Amerifan

I wonder if a lack of sales has really fecked us over. I think the board was expecting Smalling (15m), Rojo (7m), Lingard (18m), Romero (10m) to leave which could have raised around £50m and took a lot off the wage bill.
This.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Definitely :lol:

Lets all just hope that come Monday its Goldbridge who’s bantering Flex and all the doubters though.

Let’s really really hope that’s the case!
Flex was interviewing some guy who knows Sancho personally, can't remember the nickname, but he was saying 'he's ours' so this can go a lot of ways.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Looking at this in hindsight and with the assumption that this is truly off now: it does seem reasonable to assume that at the latest DvB's transfer marked the end of United's attempts to sign Sancho this summer? Because unless the club spends really big in the remaining days of the window you have to assume that those €40m came out of the sum that would have been earmarked for Jadon?

Tiber

United need to save money to funnel to the glazers and their debts. This isn't happening, time to accept it.

It isnt even Woodwards fault, he does what his bosses tell him.

Tiber

I lost hope before, then I got sucked back in, but now it feels like this might really be dead
The price has been set all summer, we are too cheap to even get close to it. This deal has never been alive.

L1nk

This forum is OBSESSED with briefings :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, it's because the club/woodward puts them out constantly? If all the journo's are saying the exact same thing, with a few words re-arranged around, at pretty much the exact same time, which happens far too often. Guess what, it's a brief.

Castia

United need to save money to funnel to the glazers and their debts. This isn't happening, time to accept it.

Id accept that no problem but we’ve publicly flirted with the deal all summer, even now according to multiple journalists he’s still our number 1 target.

Chelsea got it right, they were interested at the start of summer, realised Dortmund wanted 120m so they took their money elsewhere and built a new team, if we weren’t willing to spend that cash we should have gone elsewhere weeks ago.

we have a bloated squad. not being able to sell any centre backs has without doubt meant we can’t buy a new one.

for other positions, whilst there are clear gaps, the overall numbers of players need to decrease in order to buy.

realistically we are very unlikely to get a fee for Rojo. If we can get away without paying a %!of his wages we will be doing well. I don’t think we will get a fee for Romero either. Doesn’t seem anyone is interested in him as a first choice keeper, so no one will pay a fee for a no 2 who is on big wages.

the only one I have hope in selling is Smalling, and that just seems to be contingent on getting a half decent fee for him.

Hoof the ball

Things to be positive about.

1. There's still three more days!
2. History has shown that Ed sometimes offers the full amount in the end anyway.
3. There's still three more days!
4. There'll be at least 50 more vaguely hopeful Tweets between now and then to keep up our thinly-attached dreams together.
5. There's still three more days!

GoldanoGraham

Last quarter numbers must be bad then....

Judas

Open to offers
Things to be positive about.

1. There's still three more days!
2. History has shown that Ed sometimes offers the full amount in the end anyway.
3. There's still three more days!
4. There'll be at least 50 more vaguely hopeful Tweets between now and then to keep up our thinly-attached dreams.
5. There's still three more days!
Desperately need some today I think, it has been so very very dry. Shockingly dry, people aren't even making up positive stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.