Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

Was hoping that there'd be some positive news, but every single thing points to Dortmund not being open to selling him at this stage, and it's too late for Sancho to complain his way out anyway.

Becks00

Looking at this in hindsight and with the assumption that this is truly off now: it does seem reasonable to assume that at the latest DvB's transfer marked the end of United's attempts to sign Sancho this summer? Because unless the club spends really big in the remaining days of the window you have to assume that those €40m came out of the sum that would have been earmarked for Jadon?
I will keep asking you this what team do you support?

Giggsy13

He was willing to join us last summer but we didn't want to pay the money, but go off babe if that's what you think.
Not true, if we finished in the champions league spot instead of 6th he would’ve joined. If the argument from OP is that we only spend when we’re out of top 4 then wouldn’t our 6th place finish and desire to back Ole trigger a serious bid? It didn’t happen because of our failure to make it into the top 4.

Don’t worry babe, I’m sure there will be a post window therapy group to help you get over the pain that the Sancho move didn’t happen.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Goldbridge cant decide it is "your" club or he's a fan.. i stopped listening after watching maybe a few episodes.. in terms of Sancho info.. he'll say "ive been saying it for month check it out". but he discussed both sides...
I prefer them to the Stefford Paddock guys. The latter just love going out of point and Howson probably love Ole more then Ole loves himself

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This has been off since August. Ed and a few positive posters/attention seeking journos seem like the only ones who believed it would still be done because we are bigger than Dortmund and they have to sell to us etc etc. If we think corona is going to ruin clubs finanaces then why is every other club in the league spending more than us? Our genius CEO/owners know something they don’t? Dortmund/Leicester etc have shown that a well run but smaller club can run absolute rings around us. Showed us up on Bellingham, Haaland and now sancho. We really come across as an amateur outfit post Fergie. Laughable drama, endless business shit talk and ultimately piss poor performances on the pitch and it comes from the top down. Watch this space.

K_Ash

It isn't that early really. By 22 players meant for a big club tend to show potential at the very very least. James doesn't seem to have the ability.

Fletcher was extremely highly rated a young player. Tough comprison for James to match
but then ended up just being a SERVICEABLE player like DJ can become. A roster needs those kind of players too.

youmeletsfly

but then ended up just being a SERVICEABLE player like DJ can become. A roster needs those kind of players too.
Even the serviceable kind of players need to have something special. James has nothing other than speed and that's a very overrated trait these days.

MrSingh2002

Should've thrown the kitchen sink at him when he left City instead. Same as Bellingham.

When will Ed learn?

spiriticon

Things to be positive about.

1. There's still three more days!
2. History has shown that Ed sometimes offers the full amount in the end anyway.
3. There's still three more days!
4. There'll be at least 50 more vaguely hopeful Tweets between now and then to keep up our thinly-attached dreams together.
5. There's still three more days!

MrSingh2002

Pretty sure we tried to sign him, we've been after him for years.
But we didn't blow Dortmund out of the water. If we're a club with money it would probably be an idea to overspend at that point and not when they're worth £100m.

MrSingh2002

Pretty sure it was a simple case of City not wanting him to come to us, no matter how much we offered.
I see. If he still had a contract that's different but doesn't mean we couldn't have tapped him up to see his contract out with them too.

When it comes to saving/spending 100m its worth pulling out all the stops.

jasT1981

Sky reporting Sancho didn't show up for training today and won't be a part of tomorrows game.

Showed up on his own to train last night after rest of squad went home but went home pretty soon after feeling unwell.

edcunited1878

it doesn’t look like he’s going to. Ole must be fit to kill him at this stage.He dropped the ball on Haaland, Bellingham and Sancho. 3 players who we would be building the next team around.
Those players didn't want to come to United or any other PL team at their departures. And for their own development, it was the right choice. Placing the blame on the United manager or even Woodward isn't correct in those instances.

Haaland wasn't guaranteed playing time as United are developing Martial and Haaland is not going to come off the bench, he needs to continue to develop and play most weeks. Dortmund was the correct move and all the other clubs in the PL or around Europe also "missed out" on Haaland. Same with Bellingham, who was aggressively pursued by United but chose to go to Dortmund...again, probably the best move for him at this time. Sancho, best move for him at the time from moving away from City was Dortmund. He developed and matured, but he still has another level to go and is ready to make that step whether it's in England or wherever that may be.

Ali Dia

But we didn't blow Dortmund out of the water. If we're a club with money it would probably be an idea to overspend at that point and not when they're worth £100m.
we definitely didn’t match Dortmund’s wage offer for Bellingham.
We didn’t back Ole enough on Haaland.
We took away the offer of an apartment and flights for Upamecano at the last minute.
We keep making these fundamental mistakes that end up costing us massively down the road.
Way too many more to get into it.

MrSingh2002

we definitely didn’t match Dortmund’s wage offer for Bellingham.
We didn’t back Ole enough on Haaland.
We took away the offer of an apartment and flights for Upamecano at the last minute.
We keep making these fundamental mistakes that end up costing us massively down the road.
Way too many more to get into it.
Yeh I've heard about all of those cases. Shortsighted manoeuvres have hampered us.

Rolaholic

Really don't understand how the club can reconcile the willingness to overspend for a player like Maguire (most expensive defender of all time ffs) and not Sancho

DSG

In the interest in saving the utter desperation of this thread for internet posterity, I implore the mods to create some sort of top ranked Sancho muppet list — purely based on the number of posts and content of said posts.

Maybe a take on the match day thread where we have a starting 11 muppets and a muppet of the thread selection? I mean, it has to be done, right?

@Raoul @Carolina Red

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

What an epic failure on Ed's part if, apart from VDB who was handed to us by Van Der Sar, he’s spent all lockdown and all window on this to the exclusion on anything else and still fails to land him. He will surely have to stand down.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I did hear sometime ago, and I wish I could remember where, that United were only going to target two positions this window.
A creative MF and a RW, which would have been Grealish & Sancho.
United expected the price of Grealish to be around £40, and expected the price of Sancho at around £60m....who knows?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Apparently has not trained today...
Stay strong muppets :devil:

Ali Dia

I’m out of any market chat till Monday. I hope for Oles sake the team can pick it up. We’ve hard games coming up but at least they are at home. We should be able to get up to full fitness over the international break.VDB looks like he will add freshness in the middle.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In all of this you've got a 20-year old kid whose head must be frazzled that we've dicked him about and left him in a veritable no mans land.

People point out that he's not kicked up a fuss, but @Jim Beam made the excellent point that Sancho has a whole lot to be grateful to Dortmund for. They gave him the platform via playing time to be this hot talent who is second only to Mbappe as most coveted in that age range. He likes playing for the club and has a great time out there in an attacking team with team mates he clearly has a rapport with. Sancho, by not featuring "ill" has done about as much as would be deemed fair in terms of come and get me pleas - for all he knows, we aren't even going to make good on that and have left him in the lurch.

If the information hasn't already been relayed back to him that it's over for this window, he's still sat there twiddling thumbs hoping we're going to fulfill our end of the bargain and put in the adequate bid.

The notion he doesn't care and can just get on with things as if this window never happened will be played out through his performance level over the upcoming months - if he can do that, it shows he's got a far stronger constitution as 20-year old than many others. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him tank for a bit, I think.

The amount of tapping up and behind the scenes hyperbole only for it to end with us not appearing to value him as we would have said we did, players choose other clubs when the time comes for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.