Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

7 games in a row now. One of the best forward players in the game at the moment.
Playing in his best position, off the left - just something for folk to think about. I think if he were to come in and play on the right ithere would be a sense that we could get more from him.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Net spend is only a common value to use when it suits the person in the argument.

Klopp was fortunate enough to inherit an asset as valuable as Coutinho, but didn't want him in his team, so he flogged him and spent big money in other areas. Teams like Norwich would LOVE to be able to sell Coutinho for £140m and re-invest it all over the pitch, but they aren't fortunate enough.

Therefore Liverpool have spent big to get to where they are and fans that argue they didn't are in denial.
It's the argument that Coutinho's fee doesn't count that is the most baffling part, I've ready it a few times here and on Twitter, it's so strange. You can't pick and choose what fees count and which don't to suit an argument.

And part of the reason his fee was so high was cos of his development under Klopp to become the player he was when he left. The 2 seasons he played for him where without doubt the best and most consistant seasons of his career to date. Sure he inherited the player, but he shaped the Coutinho Liverpool sold.

Anyway, Sancho.... the boy is back on track in a good way, the fee will be large and the teams will be lining up :smirk:

seegoblu

You’ve got that arse about face.

The best clubs attract the best players. The best players demand the highest wages. So the top clubs will always have the highest wages.

But offering higher wages would have zero impact on league position. You can’t just pay players more in order to move up the league. A high wage bill is a bi-product. Obvious correlation but not an indicator.
Spot on. Additionally, net spend is a bit misleading as well. Just because you manage to sell your assets for top dollar doesn't mean that the players acquired (even though in aggregate have been acquired for similar amounts as what has be raised through sales) will form a cohesive and well balanced team. United's spend has resulted in a team with obvious deficiencies, net spend doesn't correlate to a CL positioned team.

Leicester City's recent history has shown that neither a large wage bill nor a large net spend is a necessary predicate for a winning club, smart spending is the key.

RedorDead21

People say this all the time, why would Pogba sign for us over Real back in 2016, why would Sanchez sign for us over City in 2018, why would Maguire sign for us over City in 2019

We'll generally always pay the selling club more than others and we'll generally always pay the player more than others

I just don't see anyone challenging us for Sancho other than Chelsea and if it's between us and them I don't even see UCL tipping things in their favour
Then there the dozens of players who have chosen others over us as well from Thiago to Fabregas to Hazard to VVD. We can’t have them all but in the last 6 years we have invariably let the best go to our rivals whilst we’ve opted for poor options (hindsight helps I guess). Liverpool ended up with 2/3 of them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Playing in his best position, off the left - just something for folk to think about. I think if he were to come in and play on the right ithere would be a sense that we could get more from him.
While that's true he had a similar run on the right hand side for Dortmund also.

I think he's more of a goal threat from the left, but he can do a great job on the right also.

Sterling is also best from the left for City, Mane best on the left for Lpool. Everybody has to compromise somewhere.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Coutinho was their best player. This argument is weird. He sold their most talented player. Other teams would Not get away with that. Imagine Barcelona sold Iniesta in 2015
He simply wasn't, even though his stats at the beginning of the season were insane.

harms

Staff
Then there the dozens of players who have chosen others over us as well ... Liverpool ended up with 2/3 of them.
The only relatively high-profile target that they've signed was VVD and no one competed with them for the price that was quoted. We weren't trying to sign Mane, Salah, Firmino, Fabinho (as more reliant sources stated multiple times), Keita etc. (even though we should've, of course).

Stacks

He simply wasn't, even though his stats at the beginning of the season were insane.
Coutinho awards while at Liverpool. Cleaned up fan awards and team mate awards. who was the best player then? He was even the best player under Klopp for a bit.

PFA Team of the Year: 2014–15 Premier League
UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season: 2015–16
Liverpool Fans Player of the Season Award: 2014–15,[143] 2015–16
Liverpool Players' Player of the Season Award: 2014–15,[145] 2015–16
Liverpool Goal of the Season: 2014–15,[145] 2015–16[144]
Liverpool Performance of the Season: 2014–15,[145] 2015–16[144]
Samba Gold Award (Samba d'Or): 2016[146]
Football Supporters' Federation Player of the Year: 2016[147]
FIFA FIFPro World XI 4th team: 2017, 2018

Stacks

It's the argument that Coutinho's fee doesn't count that is the most baffling part, I've ready it a few times here and on Twitter, it's so strange. You can't pick and choose what fees count and which don't to suit an argument.

And part of the reason his fee was so high was cos of his development under Klopp to become the player he was when he left. The 2 seasons he played for him where without doubt the best and most consistant seasons of his career to date. Sure he inherited the player, but he shaped the Coutinho Liverpool sold.

Anyway, Sancho.... the boy is back on track in a good way, the fee will be large and the teams will be lining up :smirk:
agreed. its so stupid. If Man Utd sell Pogba now for 150 million and reinvest for a negative net spend, we had to sell a prized asset who actually adds something to the team but what ever

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I love him in a free central position allowing him to drift left & right.

harms

Staff
Coutinho awards while at Liverpool. Cleaned up fan awards and team mate awards. who was the best player then? He was even the best player under Klopp for a bit.
Then who was?
At the time of his transfer, already Salah. Coutinho had insane numbers at the beginning of 2017/18 if I remember right, but he was clearly an odd one out and Klopp had already started his rebuild to 4-3-3. Coutinho required for a team play to be built around him as a number 10, and for that team to give him the ball constantly around the box to shoot, and, with Salah present, it was clear that the way forward was to somehow get rid of him.

There were multiple sources that stated that Klopp was more than happy to sell him and was surprised about the fee. Barcelona fecked up incredibly from the start, since (as they've stated) Coutinho was supposed to be an Iniesta's replacements, but his skillset was completely unsuited to the role.
However, a report from the Liverpool Echo claims that Klopp had his reasons for selling the former Inter Milan, the main one being that he felt his side became too predictable with Coutinho in the team

Bebestation

Coutinho was Liverpool's best player but he was an individual player who wasn't playing Klopp's football the best possible way.

Klopp did the best transfer I had seen in a long time--sold him for bands and spread that quality across the squad.

Amazing work. Really is.

I always like Pogba & I want him to stay but he is someone you build a bit around rather than fit in to a system - wouldn't be the worst thing to do a Coutinho but we are no where near a Liverpool trajectory at the moment so it's shooting ourselves in the foot & I don't think we need money like that either.

mav_9me

I think he is fine anywhere in a 3 behind the striker. He is more than a winger. He is not quite a No.10 in the traditional sense but he can play anywhere behind a striker.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
At the time of his transfer, already Salah. Coutinho had insane numbers at the beginning of 2017/18 if I remember right, but he was clearly an odd one out and Klopp had already started his rebuild to 4-3-3. Coutinho required for a team play to be built around him as a number 10, and for that team to give him the ball constantly around the box to shoot, and, with Salah present, it was clear that the way forward was to somehow get rid of him.

There were multiple sources that stated that Klopp was more than happy to sell him and was surprised about the fee. Barcelona fecked up incredibly from the start, since (as they've stated) Coutinho was supposed to be an Iniesta's replacements, but his skillset was completely unsuited to the role.
I followed his transfer closely, and dont remember it that way at all. As I recall, Barcelona made their move late in the summer, catching Liverpool in a situation where they were not prepared to sell. Klopp even gave Coutinho the armband in 1-2 preseason games to show how valuable he was to the club. They did their best to keep him, but he made it clear that he didn't want to stay, and Klopp had no interest in keeping someone around against their will, so they started working on the transfer with Barcelona and making plans to remake the team.

Also, Salah was excellent that fall, but Coutinho was the star of the show who was grabbing the headlines. I agree that coutinho needed the team to be built around him to flourish, and both were playing at a high level, but There was a ton of talk in the media and amongst liverpool fans about how difficult it would be to replace Coutinho.

Klopp obviously had a plan in place, but that doesn't take away from what Coutinho accomplished.

sherrinford

While that's true he had a similar run on the right hand side for Dortmund also.

I think he's more of a goal threat from the left, but he can do a great job on the right also.

Sterling is also best from the left for City, Mane best on the left for Lpool. Everybody has to compromise somewhere.
What’s the compromise? Sterling and Mane are being played from the left and are perhaps the two best players in the league.

I think Sancho looks better on the left. I certainly think he is more capable when stationed on the right than Martial or Rashford, but in that sense I would liken him to James in that I see it as a viable position for him but not his best. Unlike James though, I would be less content with him operating there to accommodate Rashford on the left because I think we would get more from him on his favoured side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Coutinho was Liverpool's best player but he was an individual player who wasn't playing Klopp's football the best possible way.

Klopp did the best transfer I had seen in a long time--sold him for bands and spread that quality across the squad.

Amazing work. Really is.

I always like Pogba & I want him to stay but he is someone you build a bit around rather than fit in to a system - wouldn't be the worst thing to do a Coutinho but we are no where near a Liverpool trajectory at the moment so it's shooting ourselves in the foot & I don't think we need money like that either.
I don’t think Juventus it France ‘built the team around’ Pogba.

sherrinford

Really? Pretty much every time I've seen him he's played from the right and looked absolutely superb there. How fecking good is he on the left? Ronaldo?
I think he can drift out of games a bit more on the right and allow them to pass him by a little at times. He looks more natural down that left side (as the majority of broadly similar players do). I’m sure a player as talented as Hazard would be extremely competent down the right too, but you wouldn’t play him there.

Adam-Utd

The issue with being central is it's easier to mark out good dribblers
What’s the compromise? Sterling and Mane are being played from the left and are perhaps the two best players in the league.

I think Sancho looks better on the left. I certainly think he is more capable when stationed on the right than Martial or Rashford, but in that sense I would liken him to James in that I see it as a viable position for him but not his best. Unlike James though, I would be less content with him operating there to accommodate Rashford on the left because I think we would get more from him on his favoured side.
that if they sign him, they’ll play him on the right too.

sourdough satellite

Spot on. Additionally, net spend is a bit misleading as well. Just because you manage to sell your assets for top dollar doesn't mean that the players acquired (even though in aggregate have been acquired for similar amounts as what has be raised through sales) will form a cohesive and well balanced team. United's spend has resulted in a team with obvious deficiencies, net spend doesn't correlate to a CL positioned team.

Leicester City's recent history has shown that neither a large wage bill nor a large net spend is a necessary predicate for a winning club, smart spending is the key.
Net spend, at least the way fans define it, is meaningless to me because it doesn't include wages, which doesn't reflect how football clubs do their accounting (fees and wages are added up then divided by the length of contract)

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

sherrinford

The issue with being central is it's easier to mark out good dribblers

that if they sign him, they’ll play him on the right too.
Both are better players though so that would make sense. We don’t have a better left sided player - Sancho being deployed on the right for us would be like Mane or Sterling being shifted to the right to accommodate Sancho for their clubs.

Bebestation

I don’t think Juventus it France ‘built the team around’ Pogba.
I really don't want to be stabbing Pogba here because I do like him and I want to keep him - but Juventus & France is a little different to say how Liverpool or City play football now isn't it?

Im just trying to correct my self because I do think your right but ultimately that's why I think selling Pogba for United is a mistake. Being as good Juventus tactically in our league even if the quality isn't there would be a step up but I don't think Pogba could play City football or Liverpool football. To me that says that you kind of have to build a team to accommodate him or his deficiencies much more than have him as a part of a system able to be fluid in the way he plays where he does a bit of everything and generally tends to be good at a bit of everything to a decent level.

harms

Staff
I followed his transfer closely, and dont remember it that way at all. As I recall, Barcelona made their move late in the summer, catching Liverpool in a situation where they were not prepared to sell. Klopp even gave Coutinho the armband in 1-2 preseason games to show how valuable he was to the club. They did their best to keep him, but he made it clear that he didn't want to stay, and Klopp had no interest in keeping someone around against their will, so they started working on the transfer with Barcelona and making plans to remake the team.

Also, Salah was excellent that fall, but Coutinho was the star of the show who was grabbing the headlines. I agree that coutinho needed the team to be built around him to flourish, and both were playing at a high level, but There was a ton of talk in the media and amongst liverpool fans about how difficult it would be to replace Coutinho.

Klopp obviously had a plan in place, but that doesn't take away from what Coutinho accomplished.
There’s one story on the surface and another one of you’ll look closer. When at September they had to play without him, they’ve had their best games so far in the season (it was Arsenal & Hoffenheim). More so, they’ve created 6 clear chances in both games — more than in any other game under Klopp at the time.

It was also evident that Klopp prefers very intensive pressing and Countinho personally & 4-2-3-1 as a formation were not the best choices for a gegenpressing system. Firmino also performed best as a false 9 without an overlapping number 10 occupying same areas.

Adam-Utd

Both are better players though so that would make sense. We don’t have a better left sided player - Sancho being deployed on the right for us would be like Mane or Sterling being shifted to the right to accommodate Sancho for their clubs.
Right not rashford is matching his output from the left. We made the same mistake last time with martial/Sanchez. I’d rather get a star player in CAM or CM. Cover is what we need for the wings, or an upgrade on James on the right.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Then there the dozens of players who have chosen others over us as well from Thiago to Fabregas to Hazard to VVD. We can’t have them all but in the last 6 years we have invariably let the best go to our rivals whilst we’ve opted for poor options (hindsight helps I guess). Liverpool ended up with 2/3 of them.
Since when were we ever interested in VVD?

As for the others Hazard didn't come because Fergie refused to pay the agents fees, Fabregas didn't come because he didn't want to leave Barcelona and Thiago was vetoed by Moyes (lol)

Stacks

Doesn't change the fact he was their best player in previous seasons so a valuable asset. Is the squad better or worse with him in it? He can play LW as well and offers some pizazz!
The fee was extortionate

harms

Staff
Doesn't change the fact he was their best player in previous seasons so a valuable asset. Is the squad better or worse with him in it? He can play LW as well and offers some pizazz!
The fee was extortionate
In the previous years - yeah, probably. At the time of his transfer - not. His best was always in the number 10, he doesn’t provide width, workrate & wing play from the left. He’s basically a free-roaming attacker that starts on the wing and cuts inside, completely unsuited to Klopp’s vision.

croadyman

Amazing work. Really is.

Yeah selling Coutinho for Liverpool really worked because they actually had a board and owners who actually care about what happens on the pitch whereas with us you just feel like our yankee leeches and their Toy Story puppet will pocket the money and we won't replace him properly.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

I'm not buying that. Everything indicated Liverpool wanted to keep him. I think there was less pressure to keep him with Salah hitting the ground running but it seems like Liverpool tried everything to keep him.

MrVolley

Klopp was fortunate enough to inherit an asset as valuable as Coutinho, but didn't want him in his team, so he flogged him and spent big money in other areas.

Teams like Norwich would LOVE to be able to sell Coutinho for £140m and re-invest it all over the pitch, but they aren't fortunate enough.
I see you're following the 5th rule of Caf Club.

The 8 rules of Caf Club

1st RULE:You do not talk about Caf CLUB.

2nd RULE: We at Caf Club know everything. We run the club. We select the team. We are the transfer committee. We know how to arrange the sandwiches ,at matchday corporate luncheons, for maximum hospitality.

3rd RULE: If we lose a match, we will have a post-mortem and demand IMMEDIATE change.

4th RULE: We ALWAYS insist that all transfer targets are mad not to want to join us.

5th RULE: All rival successes are fortunate and our failures are unfortunate. Should we have success, it is always deserved.

6th RULE: We shall moan about how rivals spending money is like cheating, while at the same time moaning that we're not spending the most.

7th RULE: Moans in Caf Club will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at Caf Club, you HAVE to moan about something.

Bondi77

The Chelsea link must be garbage given the wide players they have but if not then a cheeky bid for Hudson Odoi would be a good move in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.