Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
I hope I'm wrong but I have a worrying feeling we're focusing too much of our time on the Sancho deal and we're either going to miss out on other targets and run out of time to get more bodies in. It would be great to land Sancho but there doesn't seem to be a lot of other transfer talk around us regarding other players at the moment, and Sancho won't fix all our issues.

crossy1686

career ending
While the Sancho deal looks like it doesn't hinge in CL the rest of our summer will as we stand to lose a shit load of money. He'll if we don't make CL we might opt not to go for Sancho as there are multiple areas that need strengthening.

CL is very important to us building for next season.
I tried to express this in the aftermath of the FA cup defeat and I was told I lacked ambition and my expectations as a United fan had been water down. I don't think people realise how we're currently lucky to be in with a shout of top 4 this season with this squad (not first 11, full squad). Could do with a big summer so we can compete in a big way next year.

pacifictheme

What's amazing about Sancho is that as well as being a goalscorer, he's also a creator - that'll take a lot of pressure off of Bruno and help us whenever he's missing (remember how uncreative we looked before his signing?).

Having Bruno and Sancho feeding Martial, Rashford and Greenwood :drool:
Pogba too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How much does Sancho leave for next summer with just a year left? Sane just gone for 45m with a year left and I'd say the talent, position and age of the two players is very similar.

GetCL in the bag this week and then offer them £85m take it or leave it. That's a £35-40m hit they would be looking at if the refuse. Nobody is going to pay much more than 45m next summer surely. Not with only a year left on his deal.

110m in this climate is utter madness.

theklr

I hope I'm wrong but I have a worrying feeling we're focusing too much of our time on the Sancho deal and we're either going to miss out on other targets and run out of time to get more bodies in. It would be great to land Sancho but there doesn't seem to be a lot of other transfer talk around us regarding other players at the moment, and Sancho won't fix all our issues.
Have you missed the Graelish/VdB thing?
Upemecano/Torres/Rodon thing? Jude Bellingham?

In Rainbows

I don't think the point of Sancho is to fix everything in 1 window.

Think of it this way

2020 summer: Sancho
2021 summer: CB, midfielder

Alternate reality 2020 summer: cb, winger depth
Alternate reality 2021 summer: midfielder, defender

Conclusion from the above 2 scenarios: Better team for 2020/21 season, but not good enough to win titles.

The 2nd scenario doesn't guarantee your team for the 2021/22+ season(s) is better than the 1st scenario's 2021/22 team. So although filling in more holes for the 2020/21 season looks like it could create a better team, it's only thinking about the immediate future (2020 season). United think that getting Sancho now, gives us a stronger team over the short(2021/22) and long (2022-2026) term because they really believe Sancho is the type of talent you acquire at all cost.

None of the CB talents have proven themselves at the same level of say de Ligt, or the CB equivalent of Sancho.

hungrywing

I bet they're going to enter the plane-tracking stage soon. That's when the real madness starts.
They actually did. It's in the comments. (nothing came of it don't bother)

Apparently:

1. Sancho posted to Instagram from a 'coastal area' yesterday.
2. The charter plane that brought Bruno here flew to Ibiza and then started north (OMG OMG Manchester)

They put two and two together and started tracking. The plane went to Paris.

crossy1686

career ending
Have you missed the Graelish/VdB thing?
Upemecano/Torres/Rodon thing? Jude Bellingham?
Grealish was only an option if Pogba was leaving, VDB was Van Der Sar chucking our name in the mix to try and get Madrid to fork up the cash, both non starters.
Not heard much on the others and Bellingham to Dortmund was done weeks ago.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ed: One step at a time

RkkMan

Grealish was only an option if Pogba was leaving, VDB was Van Der Sar chucking our name in the mix to try and get Madrid to fork up the cash, both non starters.
We will definitely add a CB at the very least it won`t be Sancho alone and with Lingard likely leaving we only have Mata/Pereira as back ups to Bruno. If Grealish/VDB are available for under 40-45m dont rule it out.

hungrywing

What do all the acronyms mean on there?

ITK 1
G5
ITK 4
KFC 2 (is that a zinger tower meal?)
They're individual posters. The 'ITK's remaining after the moderator banned all the others who turned out to be liars after the De Ligt saga. AKA apparently these are the ones who were proven right with varying degrees of accuracy.

IIRC anyone with a KFC handle is unproven.

Hawks2008

As we saw last Summer Ed and his cronies only can work on one deal at a time.

Personally though if we can only sign one player it should be Sancho, but i can see another signing in midfield happening on top of that.

seegoblu

Is CL qualification really such an economic benefit that it would allow additional money to be budgeted for transfers? If the entire wage bill would increase by 25% as a result of CL qualification, that's an additional £40m or so added onto the bill (without taking account of any sales, e.g., Sanchez to Inter (please, please, please)).

So how much does CL qualification actually add to the transfer kitty?

Infestissumam

Is CL qualification really such an economic benefit that it would allow additional money to be budgeted for transfers? If the entire wage bill would increase by 25% as a result of CL qualification, that's an additional £40m or so added onto the bill (without taking account of any sales, e.g., Sanchez to Inter (please, please, please)).

So how much does CL qualification actually add to the transfer kitty?
there's a clause in the Adidas contract that would cost us 25m if we miss the CL. Then there's the prize money (there's a thread about that HERE) ... even making the CL group stage is almost the same as winning the EL. Then there's matchday revenues, TV money, and it surely has an effect on other sponsorships as well.

difficult to put it into numbers, but the financial impact of making or missing the CL can't be underestimated ... especially missing it twice in a row.

theklr

No, Grealish or VdB if deffo coming, as our attacking midfield depth is non-existent.

Yes, it was done , but we did work on it for months and months.

And we're getting a CB if we move Smalling and/or Rojo out.

manutdrphenomenal

Seems there is way too much smoke. Fire incoming :devil:

I really think getting CL this season might not be as important as it is made out to be. Surely Sancho wouldn't turn us down because of that (won't hurt getting CL obviously). He is 20 (i think) not like he needs to win the thing now or it will be gone forever. He`d (and his reps) would rather care about the plan set in place to achieve success.
i think the CL related delay is more from our side. It benefits us more if we get CL then negotiate. If we had huge doubts over getting CL then maybe we’d have benefited from completing the transfer earlier but right now it benefits us to wait a bit.

United58

Pogba too.
Problem with Pogba is he struggles as the fulcrum of a team, he much better with France or our current iteration when he can sit back and dictate the tempo behind world class attacking players (our forwards are world class on current form at least), occasionally roaming forward and raking his incredible long passes

crossy1686

career ending
No, Grealish or VdB if deffo coming, as our attacking midfield depth is non-existent.

And what are you basing this on? The fact you want it to happen? Anyone who's connected to the club and knows anything about our transfer activity has said otherwise.

The Athletic have stated multiple times that Grealish was only ever dependant on Pogba's situation and United have dialed back any interest they had. The same for VDB, United have had no contact with Ajax for him. Real Madrid pulled the plug on the deal due to COVID and stadium costs, Van Der Sar came out and said United were circling to get them to pay up the €50m they were due to pay, that deal was done months ago, we haven't gone anywhere near VDB and if we had we'd have signed him by now.

theklr

And what are you basing this on? The fact you want it to happen? Anyone who's connected to the club and knows anything about our transfer activity has said otherwise.

The Athletic have stated multiple times that Grealish was only ever dependant on Pogba's situation and United have dialed back any interest they had. The same for VDB, United have had no contact with Ajax for him. Real Madrid pulled the plug on the deal due to COVID and stadium costs, Van Der Sar came out and said United were circling to get them to pay up the €50m they were due to pay, that deal was done months ago, we haven't gone anywhere near VDB and if we had we'd have signed him by now.
Guess we'll just wait and see, there has been alot of sources saying Grealish and VdB are beiing monitored by United still. The Athletic isnt the only semi-reliable source in town.

The reason nothing is happening is simply because A)the price for Graelish will go down if they relegates, B) we are waiting until season is over and Sancho deal is concluded.

I am just quite confident that Ole knows any injury to Bruno will set us back massively, and they are trying to sell Lingard..

laughtersassassin

I tried to express this in the aftermath of the FA cup defeat and I was told I lacked ambition and my expectations as a United fan had been water down. I don't think people realise how we're currently lucky to be in with a shout of top 4 this season with this squad (not first 11, full squad). Could do with a big summer so we can compete in a big way next year.
Accepting top 4 as a good enough stopping point is watering down expectations.

But stating that it is very important to our ability to build for next season and the future is just a factual statement.

My expectation of this season is Top 4 and win Europa.

Anything less is a failure but technically just Europa will do.

Although I expect we would bottle Europa if we finish 5th. While if we finish 4th Europa has very little pressure on it in comparison so I'd expect us to win it.

Long story short of we don't make CL it will greatly effect our attempt to catch up.

kirk buttercup

I think the problem we have full stop is the over Reliance on the current starting 11 and we cant make changes here and there because of squad depth and the fringe players just arent good enough . Our starting 11 have started to look tired and people question are they really that good . If you add Sancho and VdB and Let's say Upemacano we look a very different beast . Martial, Rashford ,Greenwood ,Sancho all rotating . Pogba , Bruno , VdB and even Sancho coming in to play in a 10 role gives us so many more options . I saw Bruno being called all kind of things after the start he has made for us I think that is ridiculous he is quality but we cant just rely on him to pull the strings week after week . We need to add loads of quality like him and then be able to rest players change line ups and keep teams and our own players on their toes . I hate the argument where do we fit them all , the Game now is a squad game and you can never have enough quality players . If we are to compete we need to add these players .starting with Sancho .

pacifictheme

Problem with Pogba is he struggles as the fulcrum of a team, he much better with France or our current iteration when he can sit back and dictate the tempo behind world class attacking players (our forwards are world class on current form at least), occasionally roaming forward and raking his incredible long passes
Absolutely. Both him and fernandes have benefited from both being in the team as there is less pressure on them and opposition teams have more to worry about. We looked far better v spurs when pogba came on, because they didn't just have to focus on fernandes then.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Didn't Ducker (tier 1) say that Grealish was only if Pogba was leaving

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
What concerns me about Sancho and happy to be proved wrong but he is predominantly a left sided attacker, that's where his better stats have come from correct? Rashford gets the LW for England meaning they currently rate him higher. I've seen so many say it would be nice to have Rashford "Off the bench...", I don't see it, Rashford is our LW and Martial is our CF, we need a RW.

At Right Wing is he the best option or would someone like Feran Torres or another be a better option?

theklr

Didn't Ducker (tier 1) say that Grealish was only if Pogba was leaving
He did, though it doesnt make much sense because Grealish isnt playing in the same role as Pogba, at least not in Ole's system.
VdB would be a more prudent Pogba replacement.

I think that was more of a ploy to see if Villa would reduce their price.

Mr Smith

Think I'm finally ready to say that I am convinced this will happen. Have been holding off as I've been hurt before, but really can't see it falling apart at this stage.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He did, though it doesnt make much sense because Grealish isnt playing in the same role as Pogba, at least not in Ole's system.
VdB would be a more prudent Pogba replacement.

I think that was more of a ploy to see if Villa would reduce their price.
Hopefully because we need cover for Bruno

Adamsk7

What concerns me about Sancho and happy to be proved wrong but he is predominantly a left sided attacker, that's where his better stats have come from correct? Rashford gets the LW for England meaning they currently rate him higher. I've seen so many say it would be nice to have Rashford "Off the bench...", I don't see it, Rashford is our LW and Martial is our CF, we need a RW.

At Right Wing is he the best option or would someone like Feran Torres or another be a better option?
He can play equally well on either flank and no.10. That’s what makes him such a special player, IMO. I’ve seen him have amazing performance on the right and that’s where he has played for England too.

Infestissumam

these last games have shown that we absolutely need both Sancho and Grealish anyway. The drop-off between the starters and backups is just way too big.

Mr Smith

This is an absolute myth that has been irresponsibly peddled throughout this thread. It's not true. He has played on the right and the left and has been excellent at both, but has played far more games on the right and has racked up in particular excellent assist stats.

croadyman

Very confident that Sancho will be sorted by early August and then links to other players will start to pick up. Both in terms of incomings and outgoings.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

No

croadyman

How much does Sancho leave for next summer with just a year left? Sane just gone for 45m with a year left and I'd say the talent, position and age of the two players is very similar.

GetCL in the bag this week and then offer them £85m take it or leave it. That's a £35-40m hit they would be looking at if the refuse. Nobody is going to pay much more than 45m next summer surely. Not with only a year left on his deal.

110m in this climate is utter madness.
Won't be that figure straight up,expect to see something in the region of £85m plus addons

Matriac

You do realize that we still have a season to finish and that the transfer window isn't even open yet? We'll have until October to sign players.

Status
Not open for further replies.