Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
This is why I want him playing as a false 9 - one who aims to take the ball from the centre outwide and to provide a pass to either martial or Rashford to finish. It's basically what Lingard does with all his runs at his right place at the right time but Sancho has the ability to do so with the ball at his feet.
Well he’s young enough and bright enough to add extra layers to his game.

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sure lets also re-sign Schneiderlin or Djemba Djemba instead of going to Neves or Saul.... great post.
One good season makes him world class and worth 100m? Or is it cause he’s english you all want to go all in?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I really despise the "Sancho isn't worth anything more that XYZ pounds" posts. You have no idea and are just setting the kid up for the inevitable "We overpaid" posts 1 year into his career (ie. Dembele)

ash_86

Do you realistically see a scenario where Chelsea would sell to us? I think they would rather sell to Bayern for half the price we would pay.
If we bid more they will. We got Matic and Mata from them .

jesperjaap

No, its not cheap and this has been done to death.

At this point it would be an unprecedented deal, at least until Sancho plays as much first team football as MBappe did before his big move. He still has some games to play this season to match that.

Its only cheap in Football Manager
Ermmmmmm....................Mbappe played about 1.5 seasons before his big move didnt he..................????

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I really despise the "Sancho isn't worth anything more that XYZ pounds" posts. You have no idea and are just setting the kid up for the inevitable "We overpaid" posts 1 year into his career (ie. Dembele)
Or playing at being Daniel Levy.
The actual transfer fee is only part of the package and must be accepted as such.

Ekeke

Ermmmmmm....................Mbappe played about 1.5 seasons before his big move didnt he..................????
57 games according to his wiki, 47 so far for Sancho. So needs 10 more games for Dortmund to match the games MBappe played at Monaco and there are 8 games left for them this season

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Amazing young talent. Could be world class. English. Do it.

Keep it simple.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thats why they havent come close to winning the league again, when they're letting players like Lewandowski go to their title rivals for free. No matter how you look at it, turning down a 100m+ offer for an 18 year old is daft business.
One of the biggest possible setbacks for Dortmund building a winning team for next season would be to let Sancho go.

The Nani

Yes I'm serious. He cant match the amount of games MBappe played for Monaco, this season. So if he goes for big money in the summer it'll be something new. He'll be the least proven player to go for a big fee
Don't know that I agree with that. But either way, it's a mug's move to let a player prove himself properly before buying him. And we've always been about buying players on the up and allowing them to fulfill their potential for us. I don't see the problem with paying a big fee for Sancho. He fits the profile of player we're after to a tee in a position we've been lacking in since my username's sake. Never mind the pure pleasure of City fans' bitterness were he to become a world class player for us.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Chelsea will probably be all in for him if Hazard wants Madrid. Liverpool too if Mané or Salah wants Madrid. The kid surely doesn't want to go back to City, Barcelona and PSG probably tied up while Spurs and Arsenal have little chance of spending the money needed. Normally Bayern would have had the boy locked in on some sort of agreement already if he wasn't English. I'd say we are ahead all these clubs at the moment and we need to lay the groundwork now and pull the trigger early.

cathari

Chelsea will probably be all in for him if Hazard wants Madrid. Liverpool too if Mané or Salah wants Madrid. The kid surely doesn't want to go back to City, Barcelona and PSG probably tied up while Spurs and Arsenal have little chance of spending the money needed. Normally Bayern would have had the boy locked in on some sort of agreement already if he wasn't English. I'd say we are ahead all these clubs at the moment and we need to lay the groundwork now and pull the trigger early.
They have Pulisic coming in though?

Anak Portal

Sancho will bring another dimension to our trio young England future and 100M pounds will be a great offer I thought because Sancho will be the future of our club and country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

Don't know that I agree with that. But either way, it's a mug's move to let a player prove himself properly before buying him. And we've always been about buying players on the up and allowing them to fulfill their potential for us. I don't see the problem with paying a big fee for Sancho. He fits the profile of player we're after to a tee in a position we've been lacking in since my username's sake. Never mind the pure pleasure of City fans' bitterness were he to become a world class player for us.
Which players did we buy for £70 million+ that had played less than 50 first team games?

Nobody.

Litch

Great potential but that fee at that age will weigh heavy if he doesn't have the right personality or people around him to deal with it. Let's not forget, this place can be unforgiving also. Look at many of the comments about Marcus on here he's young, he's cost us nothing and he's one of our own.....I can see the vultures circling after Sancho struggles initially.....waste of money, ex city, English tax, money's gone to his head, one season wonder, played in a lesser league. Let's hope he doesn't dyes his hair and dances on social media when we have lost a game.

Adzilla

Which players did we buy for £70 million+ that had played less than 50 first team games?

Nobody.
We haven't but in context, at the time Ronaldo for a record fee for a teenager and Martial for £50M+ where basically the same thing. the fee's have gone up but the risk at the time was the same really, he's an exceptional talent just like them.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
They've only changed that much on Football Manager.

Once again, no player has been signed for the prices we talk about for Sancho having played so few first team games.
Mbappe was signed for 180m for just 57 games! The fee quoted is not even close to that.

I don't understand how you think that we should wait for another summer, thereby welcoming competition. We don't even have a free run for him this summer.

Litch

Once again, no player has been signed for the prices we talk about for Sancho having played so few first team games.
Make you right and those players that have gone for big money even if they only played a few games, their hype started a long time before it. Even Pogba had a few seasons in Juve and showed the potential domestically and internationally to merit this transfer fee. The other thing for me is it sets unhealthy precedents and like the Sanchez signing, can create discourse in the squad when it comes down to wage structure. This fee would probably put him on the highest wages too. All this at 18!! I think Mbappe got away with it because of the circus of PSG and the Neymar deal. Not sure it would have been so easy, if Neymar wasn't there.

Ekeke

Mbappe was signed for 180m for just 57 games! The fee quoted is not even close to that.

I don't understand how you think that we should wait for another summer, thereby welcoming competition. We don't even have a free run for him this summer.
Yes Mbappe played 10 more games than he has. He isnt as good as MBappe

El-Manos

People complain when we sign young players, people complain when we don’t sign anyone. People complain if we sign players that are over 29. Will ye make up your feckin mind? He is one of the most talented teenagers in football at the moment, who gives a feck what we pay. If he is what we need right now, we should sign him.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
One good season makes him world class and worth 100m? Or is it cause he’s english you all want to go all in?
That's the whole point. If this kid was not British nobody would be talking about him in all those glowing terms. Yes the kid has potential, but he is far from PL level. Bring him back here and before the season is over he will be frustrated sitting on the bench. If Man Utd want to really revamp themselves for success in the next season or two, Sancho is not the player to look at. Odoi is closer to PL level than Sancho.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yes Mbappe played 10 more games than he has. He isnt as good as MBappe
Yeah isn't good as Mbappe, that's why the press aren't reporting 180m price but a hundred million less than that. And he will add more games until the end of the season.

What are you expecting to see in those 10 games that you haven't seen in 47(assuming that you have seen them at all)?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

When Dembele was signed for 140 million, no player before him had been signed for such a huge fee while being as raw/unproven as he was. You've spent pages and pages saying the exact same thing. Most people understand that Sancho being signed for 100 million plus would be a unique and overpriced deal, however let's not pretend that A) This would be the first time a transfer was out of the ordinary/set a new precedent. B) The market hasn't changed drastically. Kepa went for 70. Pulisic 60. The market is changing and not just in FM.

amolbhatia50k

80 million. 100 million. 120 million.

Don't care. Based on what I've seen this kid is extremely gifted and would be perfect for us. Get it done, Woody.

redshaw

He's just what we need on the right hand side. We have to offer a real threat on both sides to break stubborn teams down.

Litch

Marcus is also one of the most young talent in football, and many don't rate him on here as he's one of ours and proven it here in this league and internationally. He must be worth 150m then based on the alleged Sancho deal yet many on here would argue he isn't. Never get the logic of how players always look better in someone else shirt than ours? Sancho great potential but not the money being talked about. Yes buy unproven but potential but if that costs 100m, that's a unhealthy precedent that can bite you on the backside for every other transfer that follows it. What are we then paying for 25/26 year old proven talent, 200m? If we were signing Pogba after paying that for Sancho, we would basically priced ourselves out of that transfer....

It's a different argument but I'd sooner give Chong the opportunity next season as we need to be developing our own talent that's here as isn't this the reason Sancho left city and Pogba left us in the first place.....?

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Times have changed. There has been a massive inflation and there are more clubs able to compete for elite players. So lots of clubs are trying hard to sign the next big thing before they are fully established (and out of reach) at a top club, even if it means taking a bit financial risk. See Barca paying ridiculous money for Dembele, see PSG paying silly money for Mbappe, see Real paying €45m each for two kids from Brazil who were basically still in their acedemy stage, see Bayern paying €35m for Sanches, when their record signing was for ~€40m.

Treble

Every big-money transfer involves some risk. A huge-money transfer for a kid with 50 games in his career is a big risk. Mbappe is an exception, not the rule.

The risk might be worth it. Let's not pretend though that there is virtually no risk. That's silly. Only time can tell whether a 100m signing is going to live up to the expectations.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just what we need on the right hand side. We have to offer a real threat on both sides to break stubborn teams down.
Yep, Liverpool splashed big money to get their targets in a GK/CB
Marcus is also one of the most young talent in football, and many don't rate him on here as he's one of ours and proven it here in this league and internationally. He must be worth 150m then based on the alleged Sancho deal yet many on here would argue he isn't. Never get the logic of how players always look better in someone else shirt than ours? Sancho great potential but not the money being talked about. Yes buy unproven but potential but if that costs 100m, that's a unhealthy precedent that can bite you on the backside for every other transfer that follows it. What are we then paying for 25/26 year old proven talent, 200m? If we were signing Pogba after paying that for Sancho, we would basically priced ourselves out of that transfer....

It's a different argument but I'd sooner give Chong the opportunity next season as we need to be developing our own talent that's here as isn't this the reason Sancho left city and Pogba left us in the first place.....?
You'll be the first complaining that we are only good enough for 5th position and not challenging City / Liverpool :confused:

Chong will get his chance, but he's not looked ready yet, he needs more time. Sancho can play the left or right side equally well, we need a wide player If martial gets injured for the left, and he's guaranteed starter on the right. Sanchez/Mata are not good enough.

Yes if Madrid/Barca tried to buy Rashford they'd have to pay similar, but they won't as we won't sell him. That's the difference.

For Dortmund to sell we have to give them an offer they can't refuse, and it's big money. You pay what they want, or you move on.

Ekeke

Yeah isn't good as Mbappe, that's why the press aren't reporting 180m price but a hundred million less than that. And he will add more games until the end of the season.

What are you expecting to see in those 10 games that you haven't seen in 47(assuming that you have seen them at all)?
Thats if the press are right.

And I've already said £80 million is as far as I'd go personally.

But it would still be something new, that hasnt happened yet. Thats all I've stated in response to people suggesting its not a lot of money or that its normal. It isnt. Its a lot for little proof that he's a top player. I'd be fine with the gamble up to £80 million. When people are talking about £100 million+ I think his form will dip next season and so would the price.

amolbhatia50k

Every situation is different. While it is fair to discuss the demerits of overplaying for players, to be honest, we've been doing that for years. 70 million on a Lukaku level player at the time was also exorbitant. Fred for 50. If we genuinely see Sancho as potentially an elite footballer, then I can't see why we'd make an exception to this particular signing.

Also, regarding Chong, it depends on the evaluation of the player. If Chong has the potential to be a good footballer while Sancho is a superstar in the making, should we really refuse to sign the latter due to the former being on our books ? I don't think so. We also have to understand the gap between the two at the present moment. One is trying to get appearances in our first team, while the other is one of the best performers (this season) in one of the best leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.