Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I think you guys make valid points.

I‘d been thinking in my head how the coming couple years may seriously impact our spending on transfers due to the spending departments like wages etc. The pandemic has essentially abolished ways to be able to calculate what our aggregate revenues could look like on a year to year basis and hence plan ahead. Pessimists like me wouldn’t even be surprised if spending on Sancho causes our transfer spending to not even go beyond 50m next two windows or something like that.

Our wage bill will most likely remain the same or a tad bit higher with Sancho & Pogbas new contract. Sure getting rid of wages from players like Lingard, Rojo, Smalling etc may reduce it but there will be other replacements brought in as well.

The club obviously plans a couple years in advance and they must surely know they need to keep substantial reserves on hand just to guarantee the coverage of essential expenses for at least the next 5 years.

When clubs like Arsenal are letting go of staff, it’s a very alarming situation in regards to how much they’ve cut down on their annual expense budget. Makes me wonder where is our club taking into account the impact of COVID and offsetting any resulting losses that we’ve incurred.

Moreover, until fans are allowed back in, and I’m not talking socially distanced audiences, I’d imagine full stadium audience revenues is what would allow us to maybe dip in our reserves again more comfortably. And until that happens I’d assume our transfer budgets may even be redirected towards other expenses instead of utilizing reserves if need be.

But at the same time I think being back in the CL along with avoiding a deduction in our Adidas income as a result of our return to the competition will also go a long way.

I also think our academy is truly helping us A LOT at the moment. We’ve had players like Rashford, McT, Greenwood and Williams save us critical outlays and the emergence of players like Mengi, Laird, Mejbri etc may also allow us to limit our outlays next few years.

On a side note - keeping all this in mind, what are your opinions on bringing in players this summer. It’s clear our squad needs reinforcements but I think Sancho being a generational talent does justify having to spend an impractical amount despite the current pandemics’ effect. As well as despite the fact that it’ll be at a cost of foregoing other acquisitions. Sacrifices will have to be made somewhere. Should it be quality over quantity or vice versa?
We’d also again have to rely on our academy to provide reinforcements but not sure if the players I mentioned are ready to come into the fold right away. If they can be then that’s basically avoiding buying new players and redirecting those funds towards other obligations.
For instance Greenwood & Williams have literally helped avoid a sum equivalent to what a player of their caliber would’ve cost us in today’s market while also taking into consideration an ongoing pandemic. Mind-boggling! But a blessing no doubt.
Good post! I agree with all of that.

Buying Sancho in this window is a huge risk even if he's a generational talent. We're in urgent need of immediate back up to Bruno and Shaw if we're going to compete in both the PL and CL. Bruno and McT instead of Matic is also a huge step down i quality.
Next seasons schedule is brutal. We maybe need to find players on loan. Coutinho isn't all that bad from my perspective. In fact whatever it takes to piss off Arsenal is good enough reason for me.

I also have big hopes regarding a couple of our youngsters. Teden Mengi is one in particular I looking forward to see develop.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Good post! I agree with all of that.

Buying Sancho in this window is a huge risk even if he's a generational talent. We're in urgent need of immediate back up to Bruno and Shaw if we're going to compete in both the PL and CL. Bruno and McT instead of Matic is also a huge step down i quality.
Next seasons schedule is brutal. We maybe need to find players on loan. Coutinho isn't all that bad from my perspective. In fact whatever it takes to piss off Arsenal is good enough reason for me.

I also have big hopes regarding a couple of our youngsters. Teden Mengi is one in particular I looking forward to see develop.
Thanks for the kind words mate!

As far as coutinho is concerned I just don’t see him wanting to be backup anymore. He might as well stay at Bayern then.

VdB is a good backup and squad option to acquire in my opinion, but with every single passing day im seriously starting to doubt if we’ll spend much this summer. Players like him may not be affordable for us if we buy Sancho.

As for Sancho, I think he’s totally worth it because he can play in any of the front 3 positions and that is a huge benefit! Specially when we need to make smart acquisitions. Same reason I love VdB.

But yes, I do agree we need to focus on loan signings for now. Give us breathing room until next summer. By that time a couple more of our youth players may be ready to be brought into the fold and we may not need to make the loans permanent or bring in new acquisitions essentially. Or at least not have to spend insane amounts.

red thru&thru

I think you guys make valid points.

I‘d been thinking in my head how the coming couple years may seriously impact our spending on transfers due to the spending departments like wages etc. The pandemic has essentially abolished ways to be able to calculate what our aggregate revenues could look like on a year to year basis and hence plan ahead. Pessimists like me wouldn’t even be surprised if spending on Sancho causes our transfer spending to not even go beyond 50m next two windows or something like that.

Our wage bill will most likely remain the same or a tad bit higher with Sancho & Pogbas new contract. Sure getting rid of wages from players like Lingard, Rojo, Smalling etc may reduce it but there will be other replacements brought in as well.

The club obviously plans a couple years in advance and they must surely know they need to keep substantial reserves on hand just to guarantee the coverage of essential expenses for at least the next 5 years.

When clubs like Arsenal are letting go of staff, it’s a very alarming situation in regards to how much they’ve cut down on their annual expense budget. Makes me wonder where is our club taking into account the impact of COVID and offsetting any resulting losses that we’ve incurred.

Moreover, until fans are allowed back in, and I’m not talking socially distanced audiences, I’d imagine full stadium audience revenues is what would allow us to maybe dip in our reserves again more comfortably. And until that happens I’d assume our transfer budgets may even be redirected towards other expenses instead of utilizing reserves if need be.

But at the same time I think being back in the CL along with avoiding a deduction in our Adidas income as a result of our return to the competition will also go a long way.

I also think our academy is truly helping us A LOT at the moment. We’ve had players like Rashford, McT, Greenwood and Williams save us critical outlays and the emergence of players like Mengi, Laird, Mejbri etc may also allow us to limit our outlays next few years.

On a side note - keeping all this in mind, what are your opinions on bringing in players this summer. It’s clear our squad needs reinforcements but I think Sancho being a generational talent does justify having to spend an impractical amount despite the current pandemics’ effect. As well as despite the fact that it’ll be at a cost of foregoing other acquisitions. Sacrifices will have to be made somewhere. Should it be quality over quantity or vice versa?
We’d also again have to rely on our academy to provide reinforcements but not sure if the players I mentioned are ready to come into the fold right away. If they can be then that’s basically avoiding buying new players and redirecting those funds towards other obligations.
For instance Greenwood & Williams have literally helped avoid a sum equivalent to what a player of their caliber would’ve cost us in today’s market while also taking into consideration an ongoing pandemic. Mind-boggling! But a blessing no doubt.
Nice post.

Like you say, you have to have a balanced view. Irrespective of what people say about the Glazers, the pandemic has dismissed this notion of Glazers penny pinching and United being a cash cow. They have kept the business at the forefront of of world football business and has allowed us to be able to spend this year, unlike clubs such as Real and Barca. But not wanting to derail this thread...

Our academy will be a massive part of our plans. It will be another source of income for us, whilst potentially saving us big money every so often. What I mean is, I believe we are going down the Chelsea route of buying top young talent, giving them loan spell, with maybe a few first team games and then sell for profit. Then hopefully a few Mason's, Rashford's, Williams etc come through.

But going back to Sancho, he is that kind of player where we spend big and should be fine for about 3-5 years.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d much rather we spent our entire summer budget on Sancho than on Grealish and Gabriel. Both will Undoubtably improve the squad, but not the first 11 like Sancho would.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Nice post.

Like you say, you have to have a balanced view. Irrespective of what people say about the Glazers, the pandemic has dismissed this notion of Glazers penny pinching and United being a cash cow. They have kept the business at the forefront of of world football business and has allowed us to be able to spend this year, unlike clubs such as Real and Barca. But not wanting to derail this thread...

Our academy will be a massive part of our plans. It will be another source of income for us, whilst potentially saving us big money every so often. What I mean is, I believe we are going down the Chelsea route of buying top young talent, giving them loan spell, with maybe a few first team games and then sell for profit. Then hopefully a few Mason's, Rashford's, Williams etc come through.

But going back to Sancho, he is that kind of player where we spend big and should be fine for about 3-5 years.
Thanks mate!

Actually longer than 3-5 years in my opinion.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I was just being you...pessimistic about 3-5 years! ;)

But yea, if successful and not then wanting to agitate for a move, he would be here for longer.
Ahahaha fair enough :lol:

And yes to be fair, 3-5 years itself is a decent enough time to not have to worry for. This pandemic should be well past us by that point and that’ll solve many problems on its own. At least we don’t have to worry in the short term.

Loon

:lol:
Reminds me of when Fergie pinpointed Van Persie as exactly what we needed. Solskjaer and his staff think Sancho is critical. Hope we can swing it.

Garethw

Reminds me of when Fergie pinpointed Van Persie as exactly what we needed. Solskjaer and his staff think Sancho is critical. Hope we can swing it.
I remember a lot of fans saying that it was crazy to spend almost our entire summer budget on Rooney when we had Smith and Saha to support RVN.

Look how that turned out. Rooney became integral to United for over a decade and became our all time greatest goalscorers.

Sancho has the potential to elevate this team like Rooney. Just get the fecking deal done. If it means we don’t sign an average CB like Gabriel then so be it.

Garethw

Impressed Ole is putting some pressure on the board. About feckin time.
I have my issues with Ole not being good enough Or the right man, but this is fecking great and about time in truth.

With every week that passes without the team being strengthened, I want to see more comments like this from Solskjær.

The board must not assume that top four is a given with this squad next season. An injury to Pog, Bruno Or Martial and we could be in massive trouble.

Sancho can play on the right left and through the middle, so he covers a lot of positions. He’s creative and he scores goals. He is the perfect signing for the club and if we don’t sign him then fans need to turn their anger towards the board.

Rolaholic

Why do some people think today is the day? I'm assuming I've missed something when skimming through the thread.
Groundhog Sancho day :lol:

Still not expecting much movement on this until our season is officially over with

peridigm

Think about it this way; if we’re £10m apart in the negotiations, Woody/Judge will save 10% of that in 4 weeks of delaying by not paying his wages.

A few weeks of Alexis being off the books on top of that and we’re there.
Not sure it works that way. Players negotiate on their annual salary. The per week rate is something the fans and media dwell on because players might get paid weekly. So if we negotiate an annual wage of £11m. Sancho will get that regardless if he’s signed today or next month.

crossy1686

career ending
Sancho has to hand in a transfer request if this deal is to happen now.

It would support the media narrative for both sides.

Dortmund - Well he wanted to leave
United - he wants to play for us because he forced the move

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not sure it works that way. Players negotiate on their annual salary. The per week rate is something the fans and media dwell on because players might get paid weekly. So if we negotiate an annual wage of £11m. Sancho will get that regardless if he’s signed today or next month.
Any deal he (or any player) signs will be up to 30 June 202X, if we signed him 2 weeks ago verses 2 weeks in the future then overall we’d pay him 4 weeks less in wages.

nainaisson

Woodward better delivers. Pool is running away now with Thiago in their ranks as well
Seems like an unbelievably weird fit for me. I'd guess Thiago's agent is trying to smoke out a buyer or get an improved contract from Bayern. But maybe there's a lot I don't know about due to not caring and his transfer to Liverpool is obviously happening.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing that people need to keep in mind is that UEFA money in terms of prize money and broadcasting rights haven't been distributed yet, the big pay generally happens in late June. So many clubs are waiting for that influx of cash that should come in September. For example the Memphis case will only be fixed in a month, there is no way that Lyon wants to keep him, so he will either be sold allegedly to Dortmund or he will extend one year but Aulas will start his PR campaign when the CL is over.

passing-wind

I mean that the lack of links is a symptom of the fact that we aren’t actually close to signing anyone and Ole is telling them to get a move on
I don't think that's necessarily true, silence is usually good news as it's indicative of negotiations. There was hardly any noise when we signed Lukaku despite all the surrounding news on Moratta. Bruno was relatively left field. The lack of media from our briefs and more recently Dortmund's is positive.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don't think that's necessarily true, silence is usually good news as it's indicative of negotiations. There was hardly any noise when we signed Lukaku despite all the surrounding news on Moratta. Bruno was relatively left field. The lack of media from our briefs and more recently Dortmund's is positive.
No it wasn't?! It went on for ages. I’ll absolutely give you lukaku though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Any deal he (or any player) signs will be up to 30 June 202X, if we signed him 2 weeks ago verses 2 weeks in the future then overall we’d pay him 4 weeks less in wages.
But if he really cares about it, he can negotiate a total package that would compensate for the difference in wage during these 4 weeks, I'm not sure if the sum is that important but it can be done, of course the club could refuse but the sum is negligeable for both sides. People focus a little bit too much on the weekly wages and tabloid figures.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
But if he really cares about it, he can negotiate a total package that would compensate for the difference in wage during these 4 weeks, I'm not sure if the sum is that important but it can be done, of course the club could refuse but the sum is negligeable for both sides. People focus a little bit too much on the weekly wages and tabloid figures.
To be fair my initial post on this subject was entirely facetious but I very much doubt either party would get bogged down in that level of detail on the timing. It’ll be a headline weekly figure with a load of bonus clauses, they’re not going to get into pro-rating for him joining “late”, and neither will Ed be putting things off to save a few weeks wages.

United Junkie

I won't say he is a Glazer patsy. But he definitely is their choice of manager.
For Glazers a manager who keeps the fans content while doing the minimum possible is the ideal scenario. In this case if Ole gets comfortable top 4 next year with no title challenge, most fans will be happy and want Ole to continue. If they had gotten the likes of Pochettino, Tuchel or Nagelsmann nothing short of a title challenge would have done for the fans.
Glazers don't care what the manager says about them, they just want fans tuning in and spending whilst they spend the minimum possible of their money. Ole is perfect for them.
Wait a minute! Are you saying we are like Arsenal?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah that was a confusing post by peridigm. Of course it matters when the contract is concluded, even if it is an annual “salary”. Pro rate/accrual, all that.

Giggsy13

If the owners fail to back a club legend in Ole after he delivered champions league football then Ed and the Glazers can truly get fecked along with the apologists on here, “tHeY sPenD mOnEy!” I’m glad Ole is putting his position out there intelligently rather than the mess Jose had become. I’m sure Ole is frustrated seeing our rivals getting their business done early especially when he’s probably let Ed know of his desired targets months before the season ended. The Sancho deal is complicated but there’s no reason why we can’t focus on other signings but unfortunately the investment banker who leads our negotiations doesn’t think from a footballing perspective.

Matriac

A little bit much theory on salary here.
He's still getting paid at Dortmund, so it's not like he's getting nothing if we "save" a month.
Plus our high-end contracts usually involve bonuses depending on factors such as availability/if they play that week, score goals or other things. I'm sure there are factors for off-season to still allow them to trigger some bonus, but he'd still need to be at the club for that to happen. Plus even if it's the yearly salary they agree on (per season?) it's not like he'll be paid more for his time that year if he joins in January for 4.5 years than the August before for 5 years. It would (likely) be X is the yearly salary, which amounts to Y in weekly payments, but there is only Z left of the year so the player would only get paid (X ÷ Z) * Y = salary this year

See now I'm theorizing as well.
TLDR: I do believe the club technically saves some money if the target joins later, but it's rarely a factor since you want the player settled and comfortable as soon as possible when he can join the team. (Which in this case Jadon kinda can't until we finish the EL.)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Ole pressuring the board to spend? it's so on
Well done Boss. Always thought that critics about him being some kind of puppet are ridiculous. The man cleared half of our dressing room when he could have taken an easier route.

One thing is what he says to the press most of the times not complaining much and it is obvious that another is what he is actually doing. Also, he knows this is the year that will make or break his plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.