Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A little bit much theory on salary here.
He's still getting paid at Dortmund, so it's not like he's getting nothing if we "save" a month.
Plus our high-end contracts usually involve bonuses depending on factors such as availability/if they play that week, score goals or other things. I'm sure there are factors for off-season to still allow them to trigger some bonus, but he'd still need to be at the club for that to happen. Plus even if it's the yearly salary they agree on (per season?) it's not like he'll be paid more for his time that year if he joins in January for 4.5 years than the August before for 5 years. It would (likely) be X is the yearly salary, which amounts to Y in weekly payments, but there is only Z left of the year so the player would only get paid (X ÷ Z) * Y = salary this year

See now I'm theorizing as well.
TLDR: I do believe the club technically saves some money if the target joins later, but it's rarely a factor since you want the player settled and comfortable as soon as possible when he can join the team. (Which in this case Jadon kinda can't until we finish the EL.)
True, you could argue the optimal time to sign him is when our europa campaign ends, as he will have time to bond with the lads.

Alexit

We need Sancho and so much more. When you think about teams like Bayern, Real Madrid, and Liverpool it's clear that we're still quite a ways off. But Sancho would be a massive step in the right direction. As someone said already, he can play RW but provides cover for other areas as well.

We're still 1-2 injuries away from a nightmare season. I shudder to think of what we'd look like if two of of our first XI are out for a couple of months (or more).

HowYouDoin

We need Sancho and so much more. When you think about teams like Bayern, Real Madrid, and Liverpool it's clear that we're still quite a ways off. But Sancho would be a massive step in the right direction. As someone said already, he can play RW but provides cover for other areas as well.

We're still 1-2 injuries away from a nightmare season. I shudder to think of what we'd look like if two of of our first XI are out for a couple of months (or more).

Thats so true. Feel we are about 20 % worse just cuz Luke Shaw got injured.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
Do ye think that quite from Ole is him starting to panic a little bit with the total lack of progress or even serious links to players yet?
I don’t think it’s him panicking, I think it’s him telling the board to get on with it in his own way, it’s the kind of thing Sir Alex would have said but he’d have said it a bit stronger

deleon

If the concern is really the initial fee's impact on the club's finances due to Covid then fair enough. Fiscal responsibility is important. But on the other hand, there is no way that Dortmund would simply agree to a lower down payment without any quid pro quo - we really don't hold the cards here. Unless we are willing to make it worth their while, and go above the supposedly agreed total fee by increasing future instalments/bonuses, we might as well move on and hope he's still available next summer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think you guys make valid points.

I‘d been thinking in my head how the coming couple years may seriously impact our spending on transfers due to the spending departments like wages etc. The pandemic has essentially abolished ways to be able to calculate what our aggregate revenues could look like on a year to year basis and hence plan ahead. Pessimists like me wouldn’t even be surprised if spending on Sancho causes our transfer spending to not even go beyond 50m next two windows or something like that.

Our wage bill will most likely remain the same or a tad bit higher with Sancho & Pogbas new contract. Sure getting rid of wages from players like Lingard, Rojo, Smalling etc may reduce it but there will be other replacements brought in as well.

The club obviously plans a couple years in advance and they must surely know they need to keep substantial reserves on hand just to guarantee the coverage of essential expenses for at least the next 5 years.

When clubs like Arsenal are letting go of staff, it’s a very alarming situation in regards to how much they’ve cut down on their annual expense budget. Makes me wonder where is our club taking into account the impact of COVID and offsetting any resulting losses that we’ve incurred.

Moreover, until fans are allowed back in, and I’m not talking socially distanced audiences, I’d imagine full stadium audience revenues is what would allow us to maybe dip in our reserves again more comfortably. And until that happens I’d assume our transfer budgets may even be redirected towards other expenses instead of utilizing reserves if need be.

But at the same time I think being back in the CL along with avoiding a deduction in our Adidas income as a result of our return to the competition will also go a long way.

I also think our academy is truly helping us A LOT at the moment. We’ve had players like Rashford, McT, Greenwood and Williams save us critical outlays and the emergence of players like Mengi, Laird, Mejbri etc may also allow us to limit our outlays next few years.

On a side note - keeping all this in mind, what are your opinions on bringing in players this summer. It’s clear our squad needs reinforcements but I think Sancho being a generational talent does justify having to spend an impractical amount despite the current pandemics’ effect. As well as despite the fact that it’ll be at a cost of foregoing other acquisitions. Sacrifices will have to be made somewhere. Should it be quality over quantity or vice versa?
We’d also again have to rely on our academy to provide reinforcements but not sure if the players I mentioned are ready to come into the fold right away. If they can be then that’s basically avoiding buying new players and redirecting those funds towards other obligations.
For instance Greenwood & Williams have literally helped avoid a sum equivalent to what a player of their caliber would’ve cost us in today’s market while also taking into consideration an ongoing pandemic. Mind-boggling! But a blessing no doubt.

One of the best posts I have read. People blaming woodward for this needs to get their head checked. The one thing he does best is financial planning. If he thinks, its too risky then there is a risk. How many clubs actually has spent 120m now ? Chelsea spent their reserve cash.

There are lot of other options. We can sign Thiago or VDB for 30-35m. Sign a left back for 20m. Loan one of Coutinho,Dembele or even Bale.

Point is , we need quality players to retain our position in top 4

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Sancho dropped from starting lineup in Dortmund's test. This is so on!!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dortmund are cringe cnuts, hope they get relegated.

When did they last produce a youngster? They just turn players heads with high wage offers and fcuk over the clubs that have developed them then demand a fortune for the player when he inevitably wants a move as they're a stepping stone club who rarely win anything.

It's all well and good when they are poaching but god for forbid Manchester United dare to bid 90 million quid for the player you poached for next to nothing.

Cnuts!
Yeah feck em. Kagawa and Mhiki were shit as well. Thnx for that you knobheads!

Utdstar01

So they say he doesn't train with the group because of a knock but now he's available for selection?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

So they say he doesn't train with the group because of a knock but now he's available for selection?
It's a small time power play. First showing Sancho he won't start a single game anymore if he doesn't make a public declaration of loyalty, then putting him in the shopping window, because they are so desperate to sell.

Matriac

Think they said it was for fitness? Either/or he can still play 45mins of a friendly even with a knock. Maguire plays 90 all the time.

Utdstar01

Think they said it was for fitness? Either/or he can still play 45mins of a friendly even with a knock. Maguire plays 90 all the time.
Pretty sure they said he was carrying a knock. Sounds sensible to play somebody with a knock for a completely meaningless friendly.

Matriac

Pretty sure they said he was carrying a knock. Sounds sensible to play somebody with a knock for a completely meaningless friendly.
I'm sure their medical team knows what they are doing. A knock could be anything, it could have been better the next day after training.
If he feels fit to play he will play.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They even made him join the training session today, if you can believe it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's a small time power play. First showing Sancho he won't start a single game anymore if he doesn't make a public declaration of loyalty, then putting him in the shopping window, because they are so desperate to sell.
How have they done this?

Tiber

Ole pressuring the board to spend? it's so on
He already lost out on the striker he hand picked and a young CM he clearly rated - both to the same team. Hard to blame him for being pissed off

FizzyWomack

Sancho dropped from starting lineup in Dortmund's test. This is so on!!

Hmm,is this our muppet food for the day?!

Don't mind if I do!

I think we'd be more than clutching at straws if we thought this was on just because of this though, theres a couple of big names missing from the starting line up :wenger:

Only time will tell!

Revan

Assumptionman
Glazers have taken over a billion out of the club in the last decade. That is 5 Mbappes. It is their money and they have the right to do what they want with it, I am not denying that. But what we have been spending since they arrived is not in line with a club of our finances.
During Ferguson's years they were very frugal. They have opened a bit since then but only through necessity. They will tighten the purse strings soon again once we are decent.
How much money in taxes we would have paid if we didn’t have the debt? I have no idea but I remember one year we paid next to nothing while Arsenal paid 60m. Laws change often so I don’t have a clear picture (and it is a pity why no one made a study to really show how much they had taken out of the club, including how much in taxes we would have paid if we did not have the debt) but the sum is far less than 1 billion.

And yes, it is absolutely their money.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Sancho will probably come on for the second half now, if people want to examine his body language for insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.