Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepic

This was my first thought and fear.

Rashford, Martial, Dybala and Sancho at the very least would all expect to start games. Then there’s Greenwood who could well join that group within a year or two. There’s no Origi or Shaqiri amongst them.

We also have the likes of Jesse who I’m not convinced that Ole isn’t too nice to sell.
Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo, Silva, De Bruyne, Mahrez all expect to start too. that's what having a quality squad with depth is all about.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can we assume if we were to get Dybala and maybe even Fernandes as well we can put a nail in this one indefinitely?
Not indefinitely, we still don't have a RW so Sancho would fit us like a glove. We'll go back in for him next season, hopefully with CL football in our pocket.

UnitedObsession99

According to a journalist with ties close with Sanchos camp, he had agreed to the move, prior to our end of season collapse. Everything that came after that put him off, he apparently wants to move to a stable club where he'll be a first team starter, since we didn't get CL and we haven't got our shop in order then he won't move to us until that happens.

I think Chelsea will get him next summer unfortunately, especially if they get top 4.
Chelsea have pretty much no chance of making top 4! They are seriously lacking quality in attack. I don't think their defence is great either. Completely reliant on a very good midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo, Silva, De Bruyne, Mahrez all expect to start too. that's what having a quality squad with depth is all about.
I’m not sure Jesus and Mahrez expect to start there tbh, and Sane has expressed his discontent at being a sub and may well leave as a result. When all are fit, likely all of them will start except Jesus and Mahrez and Sane. I think Sane is the only one unhappy with that set up, and as I said, could leave.

David Silva is also 33 now, and the others know he’ll go soon. The group we are proposing are all under 25. I’d love them all here, but we want all of them to develop to their maximum but I can’t see it being sustainable if they do.

I guess the strongest will survive!

Jacob

1. City are the biggest club in England right now in terms of player attractiveness.
2. Debatable. I'd tend to agree but he wouldn't get CL football at United which he has at Dortmund and that's a bigger test than the PL.
3. Doesn't need that at the moment, he has plenty of time to earn more money and not every player is money motivated.

Dortmund are a better side than United right now.
1 is just plain false. City is the best team with the best manager and the strongest chance of winning titles, closely followed by Pool. However, I don't think you give players' intellect enough credit in deciding where they want to play. Disregarding money, cause United can afford more than City in terms of wages, United is more attractive from project point of view. The history and romance of playing for the biggest brand in world football. Yes, we're shit now but any player should know we have the ambition to get back to winning ways. What player wouldn't want to be a key player in that transition. I don't know, the prospect of joining a team that is at its peak doesn't strike me as attractive. Chances are you will deduct rather than add value to such a team, and all humans want to feel valued.

My subjective and biased order for PL club transfer attractiveness would be:
1) United
2) Liverpool
3) Spurs
4) City
5) Chelsea
6) Arsenal
7) Everton
8) Leicester
9) Wolves

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If Pogba and Fernandes play like they usually do, that team would be absolutely battered. Great FM team though.
Battered by who? Top 6 teams maybe but wouldn't play that team against them.

Would batter the rest of the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This was my first thought and fear.

Rashford, Martial, Dybala and Sancho at the very least would all expect to start games. Then there’s Greenwood who could well join that group within a year or two. There’s no Origi or Shaqiri amongst them.

We also have the likes of Jesse who I’m not convinced that Ole isn’t too nice to sell.
Yeah can't really see Sancho being on next summer if we get Dybala now, but that's fine, Sancho is a dream target but dybala is still a potential world class option and all hope might not be lost anyway. We still have to wait on both Rashford/Martial to step up this year, so if one of the 2 don't do it, I dont think we'd hesitate on signing Sancho next summer. If both step up, then I don't think we'd push for it and there'd be a good chance he goes to Chelsea alongside Hudson Odoi and because he was a Chelsea supporter when he was younger.

Rashford (21), Martial (23), Dybala (25), Lingard (26), James (21), Mata (31), Greenwood (17), Gomes (18), Chong (19) as our front 3 options would be a good blend and it wouldnt block the youngsters as they're all under 20 and none would expect to be regular starters for a bit yet. In 5 years, Greenwood will be 22, Martial 28, Dybala 30. That's the perfect age to take over long term or be rotating in the attack before that until he is ready to be starting every week, so it's not a massive worry. Mata is there now but won't be in a couple of years where I'd assume Gomes straight takes his minutes and role in the squad, so between a front 3 or 4, we'd have ~9 options, but importantly, a good blend in terms of experience, youth, players who expect to start all the time and squad players with some versatility to get minutes all around and not be short in quality or ability to change games. Only thing we'd lack is size... but not a big deal as I don't think we'll need that all that much, and Martial/Rashford can improve in the air to be decent at least, while Greenwood is only 17 and has time to grow physically as well which would make him very complete.

rotherham_red

Yeah can't really see Sancho being on next summer if we get Dybala now, but that's fine, Sancho is a dream target but dybala is still a potential world class option and all hope might not be lost anyway. We still have to wait on both Rashford/Martial to step up this year, so if one of the 2 don't do it, I dont think we'd hesitate on signing Sancho next summer. If both step up, then I don't think we'd push for it and there'd be a good chance he goes to Chelsea alongside Hudson Odoi and because he was a Chelsea supporter when he was younger.

Rashford (21), Martial (23), Dybala (25), Lingard (26), James (21), Mata (31), Greenwood (17), Gomes (18), Chong (19) as our front 3 options would be a good blend and it wouldnt block the youngsters as they're all under 20 and none would expect to be regular starters for a bit yet. In 5 years, Greenwood will be 22, Martial 28, Dybala 30. That's the perfect age to take over long term or be rotating in the attack before that until he is ready to be starting every week, so it's not a massive worry. Mata is there now but won't be in a couple of years where I'd assume Gomes straight takes his minutes and role in the squad, so between a front 3 or 4, we'd have ~9 options, but importantly, a good blend in terms of experience, youth, players who expect to start all the time and squad players with some versatility to get minutes all around and not be short in quality or ability to change games. Only thing we'd lack is size... but not a big deal as I don't think we'll need that all that much, and Martial/Rashford can improve in the air to be decent at least, while Greenwood is only 17 and has time to grow physically as well which would make him very complete.
Personally I think Martial is in last chance saloon this season. If it doesn't work out, we'll likely sell him for c.£50m-£60m IMO, and Sancho would be his replacement.

Mr Smith

He can stay away if that’s the case. Silver spoon and all that without wanting to fight a cause
That's bonkers. He's one of the top 5 players under 21 in Europe with the world at his feet. If I was in his position, I wouldn't have signed for us after our end of season shambles. Much better to stay another year in Germany where he's settled and see if things turn around/other better offers arrive.

That said, I still think we have a great chance of getting him if we play decent football this season and get top 4.

Stacks

1 is just plain false. City is the best team with the best manager and the strongest chance of winning titles, closely followed by Pool. However, I don't think you give players' intellect enough credit in deciding where they want to play. Disregarding money, cause United can afford more than City in terms of wages, United is more attractive from project point of view. The history and romance of playing for the biggest brand in world football. Yes, we're shit now but any player should know we have the ambition to get back to winning ways. What player wouldn't want to be a key player in that transition. I don't know, the prospect of joining a team that is at its peak doesn't strike me as attractive. Chances are you will deduct rather than add value to such a team, and all humans want to feel valued.

My subjective and biased order for PL club transfer attractiveness would be:
1) United
2) Liverpool
3) Spurs
4) City
5) Chelsea
6) Arsenal
7) Everton
8) Leicester
9) Wolves
You underestimate a players purpose in playing football is to win trophies. Look at Pogba and where the romance got him. Desperate to leave. Dybala does not want to come and would prefer to stay at Juve. The brand thing is overstated. We have tried for 6 years to get back up there and are no closer than the Moyes years. Many players would not want to waste their prime years being a key player in this transition.
this is the most bogus list I have seen to date. Did Man City not snatch Kyle Walker from Spurs because he wanted titles? Eriksen wants to leave Spurs. City's never lose their best players, and haven't for years.
Liverpool typically sign players who others are not really chasing. How have you measured this attractiveness?

again, this is one of the worst tier lists I have come across. Put it this way, if Mbappe becomes available at £100m and all those clubs could find the fee and wanted him, who do you think Mbappe would choose?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Hmm, I mean, obviously we can do without Sancho, but I do think he would be an era defining signing. We need to be in for him I think.

reddevilchennai

It will be difficult to sign Sancho next summer. City will be back for him next summer as they would have sold Sane. Liverpool will also move for his signing incase Salah/Mane leaves. Also Pepe moved to Arsenal. No other proper RW available. Next season we in case if Sancho rejects us, we don't have an option#2 to sign.

Wish we had finished in top 4 and signed Sancho this window itself.

pascell

It will be difficult to sign Sancho next summer. City will be back for him next summer as they would have sold Sane. Liverpool will also move for his signing incase Salah/Mane leaves. Also Pepe moved to Arsenal. No other proper RW available. Next season we in case if Sancho rejects us, we don't have an option#2 to sign.

Wish we had finished in top 4 and signed Sancho this window itself.
Chelsea will also be in the mix after the transfer ban and he's a Chelsea fan, it's going to be the hardest transfer Woodward will have had to pull off. We're not gonna end up getting him, wouldn't bother getting your hopes up mate, even if City dont sell Sane, they'll sell Mahrez and that'll be that.

red thru&thru

I'm guessing Chong or one of the other youngsters might have had a breakthrough season by then. In any case, if all those teams are after him, good. If we do get him, it's because he wants to come and he'll give his all...hopefully..

NYAS

I’ve just seen this, bit of a weird discussion on here to be honest.

Why would signing Dybala mean we’re unlikely to be in for Sancho?

We’re playing a 4-2-3-1 going forward. Pogba is most likely here for only one more season and he doesn’t even play as part of the front 4 in that formation. Why wouldn’t we play Martial left, Dybala #10, Sancho right and Rashford up front?

Am I missing something?

ovoxo

I’ve just seen this, bit of a weird discussion on here to be honest.

Why would signing Dybala mean we’re unlikely to be in for Sancho?

We’re playing a 4-2-3-1 going forward. Pogba is most likely here for only one more season and he doesn’t even play as part of the front 4 in that formation. Why wouldn’t we play Martial left, Dybala #10, Sancho right and Rashford up front?

Am I missing something?
I think it was if we signed Bruno and Dybala as Dybala would most probably be on the right if we signed both. I think Pogba could well stay with Dybala coming provided we actually play good football and have a good season.

NYAS

I think it was if we signed Bruno and Dybala as Dybala would most probably be on the right if we signed both. I think Pogba could well stay with Dybala coming provided we actually play good football and have a good season.
Ah, in that case, nevermind. Thanks for clarifying. I don’t think we’ll get both.

R'hllor

How we dealing with transfers, cant wait next summer, this will be a slam dunk, easy game easy life.

R'hllor

It'll be the hardest transfer Ed has ever had to negotiate, Dortmund won't want to sell and there'll be City, Liverpool, Chelsea and possibly Bayern lining up for him.
Piece of cake for Ed, he will beat them all blindfolded.

In Rainbows

Don't think any player changes anything in regards to our pursuit of Sancho. None of them have his ability to go past people. If anything is spells danger for whoever comes in this window as they would have to compete for the same job. I can see the front two positions becoming bloated if anything.

NYAS

It'll be the hardest transfer Ed has ever had to negotiate, Dortmund won't want to sell and there'll be City, Liverpool, Chelsea and possibly Bayern lining up for him.
Bollocks.

Dortmund will probably be realistic and may have some sort of understanding with him that he’ll go, especially if he has a banging Euros and his value is sky-high. It’ll likely be more about coughing up the money than trying to get Dortmund to the negotiating table.

He won’t go to Bayern after already having proven himself in Germany, there’s been a bit of skepticism on both sides when talking about the possibility of going back to City, and Liverpool have their front 3 set. That’s before you even consider that barely any of those clubs (including Chelsea) would be willing or able to come up with the ~£120m he’ll likely cost if he has a similar season this year.

We have enough in the real world to beat up Woody with; no need to use the imagination for more.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
thing with him have been so quiet I have been hoping it would be a "Cantona moment" and arrive out of the blue but sadly I don't live over the rainbow

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I suspect a lot of work has already gone into this. This is the type of player you often pursue for a couple of years.

UncleBob

The biggest issue will be the position we're in, potential lack of Champions League, how things are looking for the future, are we under a new manager yet again

Bwuk

I suspect a lot of work has already gone into this. This is the type of player you often pursue for a couple of years.
Agreed. He’s mates with a good few members of our squad, and will inevitably want to come back to England at some point.

Sancho 2020.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How good is this guy? I really don't watch a lot of football outside the PL anymore, he's looked good the few times I've seen him but is he someone we should be paying £100m+ for?

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
How good is this guy? I really don't watch a lot of football outside the PL anymore, he's looked good the few times I've seen him but is he someone we should be paying £100m+ for?
Yes.

He’d put an end to our RW misery ever since Ronaldo left and bring not only stability to the position but top fecking quality.

...secure CL football this upcoming season and he should be ours next summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes.

100 million sounds and indeed is a bonkers amount for any young footballer but if there's anyone who has the natural talent to back it up, it's Sancho. Mbappe aside, I reckon he's the next most obviously talented young attacker attacker out there. His ball control and dribbling is fanstastic but he also combines with intelligence and creativity.

pascell

Piece of cake for Ed, he will beat them all blindfolded.
:lol:

Bollocks.

Dortmund will probably be realistic and may have some sort of understanding with him that he’ll go, especially if he has a banging Euros and his value is sky-high. It’ll likely be more about coughing up the money than trying to get Dortmund to the negotiating table.

He won’t go to Bayern after already having proven himself in Germany, there’s been a bit of skepticism on both sides when talking about the possibility of going back to City, and Liverpool have their front 3 set. That’s before you even consider that barely any of those clubs (including Chelsea) would be willing or able to come up with the ~£120m he’ll likely cost if he has a similar season this year.

We have enough in the real world to beat up Woody with; no need to use the imagination for more.
So what would change from getting Dortmund talking this summer rather than next?

Why wouldn't he go to Bayern? Guaranteed league titles and a good shot at the CL. Liverpool could always lose one of those front 3, or change their system which could easily include the current 3 plus Sancho RW. Chelsea have a transfer ban so any money made this summer (Hazard money especially) of course they could afford Sancho easily, even without what's left of the Hazard money.

I'm afraid it isn't me who is using their imagination, I'm looking at the wider and more realistic picture of what can happen. You have severely underestimated clubs and their spending power etc in your post.

The biggest issue will be the position we're in, potential lack of Champions League, how things are looking for the future, are we under a new manager yet again
Unfortunately, that's the way I see it and the way he sees it reportedly. We need to get our act together this summer if we're to have a chance next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.