James Maddison | Spurs

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Were you a fan of his before he went to Leicester?
Fan is too strong a word but I still follow the championship and he's a player I liked before we signed him yes
Maddison gets plenty of attention. Foden has the potential to be one of the best in the world, he's a once in a generation kind of talent.
oh please people were saying it was too early for Maddison last squad yet wanted Foden in whose played about 14 seconds of premier league football

Last edited:

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Fan is too string a word but I still follow the championship and he's a player I liked before we signed him yes

oh please people were saying it was too early for Maddison last squad yet wanted Foden in whose played about 14 seconds of premier league football
Can you find anyone actually saying its too early for Maddison but Foden should be in?

What is it with football fans and the need for a persecution complex?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Can you find anyone actually saying its too early for Maddison but Foden should be in?

What is it with football fans and the need for a persecution complex?
its not a persecution complex there were supposed experts during the last international window saying both it was too early for Maddison after just a few games yet also calling for Phil Foden to be included

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hadn't seen any of Maddison in the championship but I saw him in the England U21 and he looked class.

Since he's been at Leicester I've been very impressed. He's got everything in a number 10 you'd ask for, having Vardy ahead of him must be dream.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I read somewhere that he's a massive prick. Apparently bragged that he was on 7k a week at Norwich and got pissed off when people didn't know who he was :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I read somewhere that he's a massive prick. Apparently bragged that he was on 7k a week at Norwich and got pissed off when people didn't know who he was :lol:
I read that too, it was on Reddit.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Tidy player but has Delle Alli's level of a punchable face.

Ekeke

He's the English player I'd most like us to sign, can take over from Mata. Sancho has the hype and the fee to go with it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Having watched Leicester's last few games, and hearing all the hype, I've found him a tad underwhelming, but still good.

As far as his style goes, I really like him as a player. I also don't think he's been bad or anything - just not as good as I've heard. I thought he was a lot stronger on the ball than he is, but he still isn't Mata/Mkhitarayan levels of weak. He has that ability to turn in an instant so, if he gets stronger which he probably will, I can see him having that D.Silva ability of keeping the ball under pressure more often than not.

It's clear that the potential is there, though. I also think in the last game against Brighton it showed he was capable at adapting, too. Before said game - in the previous ones I watched - he'd always look to shoot and was pretty bad at it. Yesterday, though, he looked for the passes more often and I think his general performance looked better for it.

Ekeke

Having watched Leicester's last few games, and hearing all the hype, I've found him a tad underwhelming, but still good.

As far as his style goes, I really like him as a player. I also don't think he's been bad or anything - just not as good as I've heard. I thought he was a lot stronger on the ball than he is, but he still isn't Mata/Mkhitarayan levels of weak. He has that ability to turn in an instant so, if he gets stronger which he probably will, I can see him having that D.Silva ability of keeping the ball under pressure more often than not.

It's clear that the potential is there, though. I also think in the last game against Brighton it showed he was capable at adapting, too. Before said game - in the previous ones I watched - he'd always look to shoot and was pretty bad at it. Yesterday, though, he looked for the passes more often and I think his general performance looked better for it.

Red_Aaron

He's brilliant.
Don't watch a lot of the championship so the first time I saw him was at the start of the season against us and he was the best player on the pitch that night I thought. Have since followed him all season and there's no question he's a Champs League level player for me, he'll still have to improve of course but the talent is definitely there, it's a caf cliche but he could do with bulking up a little bit.
Be interesting to see if any of the big boys go after him in the summer, think he's a united fan too

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Where were having a discussion of how mid table PL sides do not do their best with their budgets and it seems Bournemouth and Leicester are the only mid table PL clubs that really sign top young talent in the Championship and lower.

Classical Mechanic

His start to the season was very encouraging but hasn't been that great more recently. Perhaps that was to do with the cloud Puel had started to cast over the club. It will be interesting to see his development under a more attacking coach in Rodgers.

Robbie Boy

He's been utter shite since a good run of form early on. Also, he thinks he's far better than he actually is.

Litch

Another one of those players that look good in a mid table team with the other pressure is to not get relegated.

kundalini

All those that hate expected goals, please stop reading this post.

Maddison either takes a lot of responsibility: penalties (when Vardy not on the pitch), corners, free-kicks, long distance shots, or is incredibly greedy, depending on your line of thinking; possibly a bit of both.

Of his 5 goals this season in the PL, one was a penalty (he also had a pen saved) and one was a direct free-kick (out of 12 attempts, total expected goals value 0.77). His total expected goals value is 5.40.

Of his 75 key passes, 39 are his corners and indirect freekicks. His total expected assists is currently 5.67, of which 2.87 is corners and indirect freekicks. 2 of his 5 assists come from his set-pieces.

https://understat.com/player/6818

I think a team hoping to make the top 4 would need to factor in whether Maddison would actually take penalties, free-kicks, corners etc for them, before deciding upon his value.

United already have Pogba effectively playing as a no 10. Lingard/Mata and Maddison have almost nothing in common.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Blimey Yaga on a Leicester city binge watch currently, is that what Luiz Alberto being benched by Lazio does?;)

What's your precis on Demerai Gray out of interest? He's one young player there who does need to step up soon as feels like he's still in that promising but raw category.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Blimey Yaga on a Leicester city binge watch currently, is that what Luiz Alberto being benched by Lazio does?;)

What's your precis on Demerai Gray out of interest? He's one young player there who does need to step up soon as feels like he's still in that promising but raw category.
Ha, I needed to find my drug somewhere! Though, thankfully, Alberto seems to be back in stock with his substitute appearance against Milan. Anyway, I hope you're well.

I think Gray's played well in every game I've seen of him. He works hard for the team, keeps the ball well, has smart movement. I think he needs to improve his 1v1 dribbling and, from what I see, he's a bit like Lingard in that he'll play the safe pass more often than not, and relies on his movement and link up play to get into good positions rather than his dribbling, which isn't bad; just he hasn't relied on it as much in the games I've watched. That may have been a tactical instruction, him lacking confidence due to their recent struggles of defenders figuring him out having adjusted to his style. I'm not sure, honestly.

I may be wrong about him because I've only seen their last few games, and I don't have a concrete opinion on him yet, but that's the impression I've got so far. Despite scoring in two of the games, his general play has been underwhelming - whilst not bad - and has been outshone by a lot of their other players from my perspective.

And he made the comparison between them
I guess I did but I wasn't really comparing their seasons and impacts on said team, really. I just meant that I could see Maddison becoming a similar type of player as Silva if/when he gets a bit stronger. His dribbling, ball retention under pressure, and La Pelopina skill just remind me of him is all.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
His face offends me, I prefer Barnes and Gray.
I see Barnes, as the attitude is definitely head an shoulders above both of them, but Gray?! He is probably the most inconsistent player I have ever seen in my life. Proper brainless at times.

Ekeke

I guess I did but I wasn't really comparing their seasons and impacts on said team, really. I just meant that I could see Maddison becoming a similar type of player as Silva if/when he gets a bit stronger. His dribbling, ball retention under pressure, and La Pelopina skill just remind me of him is all.
And theres nothing wrong with that. In attack he's arguably been better than Silva, but Silva gets on the ball more and makes more passes. I just showed where he was strong compared to Silva this season, in terms of key passes, getting shots at goal, more dribbles and winning more freekicks.

Maddison's key passes also tend to come from crosses, corners and freekicks where hes one of the best in the league. Silva doesnt create much from those. Maddison is still good at finding a pass in behind the defense for his striker, he has more of those than Silva too. But Silva has a lot of general key passes to players in good positions that get a shot away. Thats where he makes up the numbers even though Maddison still has more this season overall

OhGee

He's the English player I'd most like us to sign, can take over from Mata. Sancho has the hype and the fee to go with it.
Yeah he can follow in Mata’s, Mhikitaryan’s and Kagawa’s footsteps and be our next right winger...

Walters_19_MuFc

Another assist today which takes him to 7 goals and 7 assists. Impressive given this is his first season in the premier league.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
even better when you consider he had about a 10 game spell where he struggled in the middle of the season

Red_Aaron

Been motm today, still hit and miss but that's mainly down to him always looking forward and trying to create things. Lovely ball for the goal and typified by one of his standout qualities for me which is he's great at finding that 1/2 yard of space which allows him to pick his pass.

Wouldn't look for him to move on from Leicester yet but he's got big potential I reckon. Certainly good enough for European competition

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Most naturally talented English 10 I've seen in a while. He doesn't play like a typical English player. Superb dribbling and balance. Very good passing and crossing.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Most naturally talented English 10 I've seen in a while. He doesn't play like a typical English player. Superb dribbling and balance. Very good passing and crossing.
he's not playing as a 10 now we are playing him in a 3 man midfield