James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think the problem McLean has is that he is identified as a Republican, not just white Irish, and has done things that has upset Unionists/loyalists in NI and GB. The 2 main things are being born in the UK but opting to play for the ROI and obviously the whole not wearing the poppy etc. I am not condoning it, just giving my opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m not sure you would. I’m not saying the abuse is right but both McClean and Lennon don’t come across very well as people so they get targeted with ‘easy’ abuse about their background.
In reality the primary driver for McClean being prominent enough to recieve extra abuse is the poppy debate that surrounds him every year. Another instance where his opinion (that he should in no way have to wear one) is entirely correct and reflects his background.

There are many things to criticise McClean for and ways to do so fairly, yet an overwhelming number of those criticising him do so on issues and in ways that leave him with the moral high ground.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

I feel he's genuinely a very big hearted guy. Just not too bright.
Yes although to be fair this particular custom and tradition is a remarkably modern invention. The poppy traces to the First World War and poppies have been around since not long after it ended. So why has football only just decided over the last 10 years that paying tribute to the poppy in this way is such an important custom and tradition that must be upheld?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

God Save The Queen is also the national anthem of NI though. So the "if he doesn't like it he should move elsewhere" argument would ultimately involve him being unable to live and work where he was actually born too. Which in many ways highlights a key part of McClean's issue with the anthem and the poppy.

It's an argument that only works if you don't understand how NI relates to the rest of the UK.

Stacks

The Race Relations Act 1965 broadens to discrimination on the grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins.

This is the definition of racism that the police work from.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/l...n/hate-crime/racist-and-religious-hate-crime/
Ok that's fair. It's discrimination against your natural state I guess. Although my issue is that attacks on nationality is commonly construed as football banter and often harmless between non heated rivals e.g. home countries, Germany/England etc

Moriarty

Yes although to be fair this particular custom and tradition is a remarkably modern invention. The poppy traces to the First World War and poppies have been around since not long after it ended. So why has football only just decided over the last 10 years that paying tribute to the poppy in this way is such an important custom and tradition that must be upheld?
Must be money in it.

BootsyCollins

I dont know much about the irish people and racism towards them so for all i know he might be spot on.

I do know enough about racism towards black people to know that its not right to call the attacks on Sterling ”one match” or similar. Its all around, all the time. So stupid to even bring the Sterling case in to this IMO.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Must be money in it.
There's some money in it for the RBL I guess, although I don't begrudge that too much.

It's a societal/cultural shift though, not just in football. What used to be dignified and respectful now seems fetishised and showy. I just don't really understand why.

Moriarty

There's some money in it for the RBL I guess, although I don't begrudge that too much.

It's a societal/cultural shift though, not just in football. What used to be dignified and respectful now seems fetishised and showy. I just don't really understand why.
You're quite right about the cultural shift. If you ask me, the whole bloody country went to pot when Diana was killed.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Haven't you just proven McCleans point for him?
No player should have to move country due to discrimination, it's not right.
The FA are right to support Sterling, but are wrong not to give McClean support.
Calling a player not bright for being brave enough to speak out about the unfair abuse he recieves is shocking.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I've just been watching ReMastered: The Miami Showband Massacre.

I don't see how anyone can think this sort of 'banter' isn't a problem.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Thought this was an interesting article. The abuse he gets every November is bad enough, but every week must be horrendous.

https://www.balls.ie/football/james-mcclean-abuse-cowards-411461
Sorry but he chose to take a stand on a completely a-political issue. The poppy has nothing to do with British imperialism or Irish nationalism.

I'm no nationalist, I hate the Ingerland bullshit as much as anyone. But McLean's brought this on himself. He doesn't deserve abuse or death threats - no-one does - but he can't complain about the controversy.

predator

Youth NITK
He gets my vote. He actually has the balls to stand up for his beliefs and also calls out the appropriate institutions. Without delving in too much I mimic his beliefs and that is coming from someone who is English, despite having Irish family.

McLean deserves more support. I admire him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
McCleans problem isn’t anything to do with race, nationality or anything else, certainly not first and foremost. McCleans problem is that he’s an antagonistic tosser, both as a person and as a player. If he had the persona of Juan Mata we would never have heard of this issue

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’m probably asking for trouble but here goes....

McClean has a point. He gets ridiculous abuse. However, other Irish players don’t get near as much of it, if any at all.

The reason: McClean openly supports Sinn Fein, an unrepentant terrorist mob who, over the years, killed pubs full of innocent people in both Birmingham and Guildford and several other innocent British people including two children in Warrington.

During the peak of the troubles they had support of about 5% of Irish people. Now, 20 years later, they have 15% support at best.

As a proud Irish person myself I despise these people and this movement and what they have done (supposedly in my name)

So, while I don’t condone the abuse, I can in some way understand it.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think the problem McLean has is that he is identified as a Republican, not just white Irish, and has done things that has upset Unionists/loyalists in NI and GB. The 2 main things are being born in the UK but opting to play for the ROI and obviously the whole not wearing the poppy etc. I am not condoning it, just giving my opinion.
There had to be one.

You are condoning it just passive aggressively

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You're quite right about the cultural shift. If you ask me, the whole bloody country went to pot when Diana was killed.
It suited the establishment & its media supporters to portray people who mourned Diana as 'weird'.

Ramshock

I’m probably asking for trouble but here goes....

McClean has a point. He gets ridiculous abuse. However, other Irish players don’t get near as much of it, if any at all.

The reason: McClean openly supports Sinn Fein, an unrepentant terrorist mob who, over the years, killed pubs full of innocent people in both Birmingham and Guildford and several other innocent British people including two children in Warrington.

During the peak of the troubles they had support of about 5% of Irish people. Now, 20 years later, they have 15% support at best.

As a proud Irish person myself I despise these people and this movement and what they have done (supposedly in my name)

So, while I don’t condone the abuse, I can in some way understand it.
"unrepentant terrorist mob" I can smell the FF/FG from here

Righteous Steps

I dont know much about the irish people and racism towards them so for all i know he might be spot on.

I do know enough about racism towards black people to know that its not right to call the attacks on Sterling ”one match” or similar. Its all around, all the time. So stupid to even bring the Sterling case in to this IMO.
Exactly that comment made him look like a twat in my opinion, the person who said he's not very bright is completely right.

Moriarty

It suited the establishment & its media supporters to portray people who mourned Diana as 'weird'.
Maybe so, and I do believe that Blair and his acolytes milked her death for all it was worth. But Diana's death does seem to have been the catalyst for change in how we mourn the dead. What used to be a private matter is now far more public.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Maybe so, and I do believe that Blair and his acolytes milked her death for all it was worth. But Diana's death does seem to have been the catalyst for change in how we mourn the dead. What used to be a private matter is now far more public.
I agree that it could've been a turning point. We're further along that self-absorbed road now, in the time when people believe it's more important to show others that they're at an event than it is to actually enjoy the event.

Morpheus 7

Horrible post, it's that kind of narrow mindedness that's made a big deal out of this. He should be free from ridicule, it's his personal choice and unless you grew up in Northern Ireland when he did, you don't know what your on about.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Horrible post, it's that kind of narrow mindedness that's made a big deal out of this. He should be free from ridicule, it's his personal choice and unless you grew up in Northern Ireland when he did, you don't know what your on about.
WTF, did you actually read my post? Im giving the reasons, IMO, I dont agree with the reasons.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Any time you upset a unionist/loyalist, you're doing something right.

Ramshock

I did and I understand why. Peoole like @westmeath who grew up in proximity should know better but dont. He must have missed his history classes in school.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are trying to rationalize it by his choice of country he represents. Whats that got to do with it?
Im saying that being born in Northern Ireland but picking the ROI, is showing what his political views are to some, and in our country you know some narrow minded people will go with that. I really do not see what I have said to be any way inflamatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.