g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This idea of a "white person" needs to be fixed because people misuse the term. When people talk about "white people" it should be people of priviledge instead. In my unpopular opinion this includes non white people too. There is a privileged class in every society.

Are polish people white? Becuase they sure as hell can complain about racism towards them.

Also ginger people. I dont get how its accepted to make fun of gingers.
Do you think white people can be discriminated again? Or do you think because they are the "Lucky ones", the "Privileged", that they cannot be?

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Id agree, I dont vote any more TBH, there is such a gap right now that a progressive unionist party would do amazing well in NI anyway. The DUP are biggoted thieves who are in compitent and the UUP are just non exsistant.
Yep, to be fair, I know a lot of people like yourself. A lot of people I work with, you have no voice anymore. It's sad. Then again, voting for anyone else would be seen as treason!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

I feel he's genuinely a very big hearted guy. Just not too bright.
feck off is that the "custom or tradition" in England to force people to wear a poppy who don't want to. I'm English and haven't worn a red poppy in years because I dislike the oppressive nationalism that has become attached. It's meant to mean "never again", not "the English are better than you".

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Do you think white people can be discriminated again? Or do you think because they are the "Lucky ones", the "Privileged", that they cannot be?
I'm saying "white people" like eastern Europeans can certainly be discriminated against. Even within eastern Europe so many ethnicities discriminate the other.

Here in the states too, people make a lot of fun of white trash who live in trailers.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yep, to be fair, I know a lot of people like yourself. A lot of people I work with, you have no voice anymore. It's sad. Then again, voting for anyone else would be seen as treason!
Pretty much I voted green for a while but its just a waste of time.

acnumber9

I like how a thread about James McLean complaining about discrimination is now an excuse for others to do the same to another group of people.

Eire Red United

James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

I feel he's genuinely a very big hearted guy. Just not too bright.
Are you for fecking real. Would you say the same if Pogba/Lukaku etc where getting called niggers?

SER19

He's absolutely correct. The casual xenophobia in Britain towards Irish people is pretty staggering given the uneasy history between the two.

That we have almost all learned to move on and live largely in peace is a testament to both places. That we have a shared sense of humor that sometimes pushes the limits is a positive thing. But even with all of this said, as an Irish person who lived in the UK for over a decade, the ignorance and xenophobia I saw at times was incredible. There are parts of Ireland where an anti English rhetoric still manifests though thankfully not many. But some self awareness from many of our neighbors would be good.

SER19

Are you for fecking real. Would you say the same if Pogba/Lukaku etc where getting called niggers?
Just leave it, he's actively proving the point.

It will spare us many posts if you just let him keep going

IrishRick

What is the actual issue with the poppy for Irish republicans though? Not trying to start a squabble, just generally interested.

Surely this is an a-political thing, commemorating the lives of thousands of people who died pointlessly over 100 years ago. It's not like Help for Heroes, which celebrates modern British militarism (and, to me, should have no place in football). If anything, the narrative against the poppy and WW1 is anti-nationalist, not pro.

All the above is my personal opinion and, as I say, I'm not looking for a fight on what is clearly a very divisive issue. Just want to find out why the poppy is such a big deal for some people.
It's because the poppy commemorates all conflicts where the British Army lost people. Not just World War 1, though obviously its Flanders and so on where the poppy is taken from. So to wear one in Ireland is to support what was once an occupying force in the Republic and is indeed still one in Northern Ireland. McClean is obviously a nationalist, identifies as Irish and not British, as the law allows him to do. He feels that to wear the poppy is less to do with WW1 and more to do with supporting those who killed people in his hometown in the not so distant past such as Bloody Sunday. The poppy is a very controversial symbol within Ireland and, while it is sold on Remembrance Day, it does not sell overly well. We actually do have a version of the poppy here that commemorates Irish Soldiers who fought on the Allied side and died in doing so.

So to sum up we would be thrilled, no doubt, to wear the poppy were it exclusive towards those who served in the World Wars. But, as its all inclusive of where the British Army died (and killed) it does raise too many issues here.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
He's absolutely correct. The casual xenophobia in Britain towards Irish people is pretty staggering given the uneasy history between the two.

That we have almost all learned to move on and live largely in peace is a testament to both places. That we have a shared sense of humor that sometimes pushes the limits is a positive thing. But even with all of this said, as an Irish person who lived in the UK for over a decade, the ignorance and xenophobia I saw at times was incredible. There are parts of Ireland where an anti English rhetoric still manifests though thankfully not many. But some self awareness from many of our neighbors would be good.
It's an inherently dormant gene, in British patriots.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Ok I worded it badly. I meant it in that, racism against white people is glossed over and rarely highlighted in the news/society. Be it anti-Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English/Whites. It isn't really seen as a thing. You're just told to stop whining and get over it etc.

Perfect example is the Netflix show called 'Dear White People'. If you were to inverse the roles: white people criticising, discriminating, insulting and putting down black people and their culture... Would that be allowed in our current society? So i fail to see the difference.

I'm not surprised by it, but I think you should be able to call out these things.
So you've never seen the show then.
Also, you don't need a tv show to do all those things, society does it to black and other ethnic minorities anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm saying "white people" like eastern Europeans can certainly be discriminated against. Even within eastern Europe so many ethnicities discriminate the other.

Here in the states too, people make a lot of fun of white trash who live in trailers.
Yep, the fact "white trash" is even used in an acceptable fashion says it all.
Noone would dare use a black equivalent phrase

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What is the actual issue with the poppy for Irish republicans though? Not trying to start a squabble, just generally interested.

Surely this is an a-political thing, commemorating the lives of thousands of people who died pointlessly over 100 years ago. It's not like Help for Heroes, which celebrates modern British militarism (and, to me, should have no place in football). If anything, the narrative against the poppy and WW1 is anti-nationalist, not pro.

All the above is my personal opinion and, as I say, I'm not looking for a fight on what is clearly a very divisive issue. Just want to find out why the poppy is such a big deal for some people.
Even leaving aside the actual symbolism of the poppy (which isn't apolitical in the eyes of many), it shouldn't be that hard to understand why some people from Ireland would take issue with financially aiding former British soldiers, which the poppy appeal does.

I mean even now in 2019 we have an ongoing inquest into the Ballymurphy massacre, where a ex-corporal is describing fellow soldiers as psychopaths who revelled in killing innocent people while knowing that they would be protected by their organisation. Expecting Irish people to have zero issue with giving money to a charity that exclusively helps former members of that organisation would be ludicrous, let alone Irishmen like McClean who come from an area with a heavy history.

JohnnyKills

It's because the poppy commemorates all conflicts where the British Army lost people. Not just World War 1, though obviously its Flanders and so on where the poppy is taken from. So to wear one in Ireland is to support what was once an occupying force in the Republic and is indeed still one in Northern Ireland. McClean is obviously a nationalist, identifies as Irish and not British, as the law allows him to do. He feels that to wear the poppy is less to do with WW1 and more to do with supporting those who killed people in his hometown in the not so distant past such as Bloody Sunday. The poppy is a very controversial symbol within Ireland and, while it is sold on Remembrance Day, it does not sell overly well. We actually do have a version of the poppy here that commemorates Irish Soldiers who fought on the Allied side and died in doing so.

So to sum up we would be thrilled, no doubt, to wear the poppy were it exclusive towards those who served in the World Wars. But, as its all inclusive of where the British Army died (and killed) it does raise too many issues here.
Thanks for the excellent explanation mate.

Classical Mechanic

Anti Irish "racism" ? Irish is a race now ?
For the purposes of UK law, a racist hate crime covers:

A racial group means a group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origin. This includes:

• Gypsies and Travellers
  • refugees and asylum seekers
  • Jews and Sikhs
A religious group means a group of people who share the same religious belief such as Muslims, Hindus and Christians. It also includes people with no religious belief at all.

JohnnyKills

Even leaving aside the actual symbolism of the poppy (which isn't apolitical in the eyes of many), it shouldn't be that hard to understand why some people from Ireland would take issue with financially aiding former British soldiers, which the poppy appeal does.

I mean even now in 2019 we have an ongoing inquest into the Ballymurphy massacre, where a ex-corporal is describing fellow soldiers as psychopaths who revelled in killing innocent people while knowing that they would be protected by their organisation. Expecting Irish people to have zero issue with giving money to a charity that exclusively helps former members of that organisation would be ludicrous, let alone Irishmen like McClean who come from an area with a heavy history.
OK, I'm obviously thick as pigshit then.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Also, you don't need a tv show to do all those things, society does it to black and other ethnic minorities anyway.
All discrimination is wrong. Regardless of ethnicity.
Yep, the fact "white trash" is even used in an acceptable fashion says it all.
Noone would dare use a black equivalent phrase
Which is precisely my argument.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I've seen the movie, not the show. I didn't like it much but the movie is very different from the description of @Majima - in fact it is close to the opposite. Same for the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.