James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I can't say i agree with him and lets be fair here its not an identical situation to an Irish player choosing Ireland over NI.

He seems more frustrated that Rice represented Ireland at every level from u16 to senior and only switch to England once he knew there was a chance he could play for them.

But if that is the case then McClean is being hypocritical there as if i remember correctly he did play for NI at some level.

arnie_ni

:lol: Just a tongue-in-cheek dig at how most Unionists/Loyalists have terribly outdated world views. Not all, obviously but progressive, forward thinking, open minded, accepting, Unionists are very thin on the ground.
Not to sure theres to many in SF either

villain

Hates Beyoncé
All discrimination is wrong. Regardless of ethnicity.
Is McClean being discriminated against because he's white?

I've seen the movie, not the show. I didn't like it much but the movie is very different from the description of @Majima - in fact it is close to the opposite. Same for the show?
Yep same for the show, much more nuanced than the movie actually and discusses social issues in depth from various perspectives.

IrishRick

Thanks for the excellent explanation mate.
No problem. I actually get slightly annoyed when it's reported as him, or Matic who too has an excellent reason, disrespecting those who were lost in WW1. The media simplify it to convey the message that they want. Very few would have noticed had McClean chose not to wear it but each year the papers note that he doesn't and the abuse is amplifed for weeks after.

The Matic one is interesting as an Irishman though. McClean is vilified for it yet Matic, who lets not forget is a vastly superior player and more visible given the clubs he's played for, is basically not reprimanded at all. It does have a hint of double standards within the English media

arnie_ni

No problem. I actually get slightly annoyed when it's reported as him, or Matic who too has an excellent reason, disrespecting those who were lost in WW1. The media simplify it to convey the message that they want. Very few would have noticed had McClean chose not to wear it but each year the papers note that he doesn't and the abuse is amplifed for weeks after.

The Matic one is interesting as an Irishman though. McClean is vilified for it yet Matic, who lets not forget is a vastly superior player and more visible given the clubs he's played for, is basically not reprimanded at all. It does have a hint of double standards within the English media
Matic doesn't wear it, keeps his head down and goes about his business though.

Is mclean more vocal about hence the abuse and the media wrangling. Or is it the media wrangling and the abuse the makes him more vocal.

Either way it keeps going round and round for him

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I did and I understand why. Peoole like @westmeath who grew up in proximity should know better but dont. He must have missed his history classes in school.
I support his choice not to wear the poppy and I understand his reasons.

His vocal support for SF is a separate matter and I think it is a big reason why he gets abuse (unwarranted) and other Irish players don’t.

Classical Mechanic

Mcclean draws attention to himself. He's tweeted in the past about his favourite song about an IRA fighter and turning his back on the UK national anthem during a pre-season tour in America. These types of actions are always going to draw attention, which in my personal opinion is what he wants.

I think this interview is inflammatory as well with his moaning about Sterling and weird burka analogy.

That said, I agree with him on his two fundamental points on the matter, in that he shouldn't have to wear a poppy and that the FA should act on sectarian abuse and chants at football grounds.

From a personal viewpoint as an England fan I'd like to see the FA being more proactive in stopping all the awful chants that our head banger hooligan fans sing.

stevoc

Arguably yes, the people abusing him every week and threatening him are not doing so because he's white.

But the authorities and the media who are not giving him the same protection from abuse as other players receive possibly are treating him differently because he's white.

JohnnyKills

I support his choice not to wear the poppy and I understand his reasons.

His vocal support for SF is a separate matter and I think it is a big reason why he gets abuse (unwarranted) and other Irish players don’t.
Yep. Agree

JohnnyKills

Mcclean draws attention to himself. He's tweeted in the past about his favourite song about an IRA fighter and turning his back on the UK national anthem during a pre-season tour in America. These types of actions are always going to draw attention, which in my personal opinion is what he wants.

I think this interview is inflammatory as well with his moaning about Sterling and weird burka analogy.

That said, I agree with him on his two fundamental points on the matter, in that he shouldn't have to wear a poppy and that the FA should act on sectarian abuse and chants at football grounds.

From a personal viewpoint as an England fan I'd like to see the FA being more proactive in stopping all the awful chants that our head banger hooligan fans sing.
Completely.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Arguably yes, the people abusing him every week and threatening him are not doing so because he's white.

But the authorities and the media who are not giving him the same protection from abuse as other players receive possibly are treating him differently because he's white.
That's a slippery slope though surely, does his abuse not receive the same treatment because he's white or because of the specific issue at hand?
Otherwise if that were the case surely they wouldn't treat other white players who report incidents to them favourably either?

arnie_ni

This is what i was getting at. He adds fuels to the flames seemingly every time he talks.

His overall standing in that he shouldnt have to wear a poppy if he doesn't want to, i agree with, him and matic alike.

Classical Mechanic

Is McClean being discriminated against because he's white?.
In a sense his ethnicity is a part of it. The Irish are Celtic 'the first Britons' whereas the Anglo-Saxon English are Germanic and migrated from mainland Europe later. That divide latterly became drawn along sectarian lines with the Irish being Catholic and the English protestant.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You can make the argument for that yes. Why hasn't it got highlighted more often in the media? Where is his protection from the football authorities? He said it's been going on for 7/8 years.

It's a double standard and a complete joke.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
In a sense his ethnicity is a part of it. The Irish are Celtic 'the first Britons' whereas the Anglo-Saxon English are Germanic and migrated from mainland Europe later. That divide latterly became drawn along sectarian lines with the Irish being Catholic and the English protestant.
So what you're suggesting is that the FA aren't giving the issue the same treatment because of where he's from?
Surely that same discrimination would pour over into other incidents of misconduct reported by players of the same background?

You can make the argument for that yes. Why hasn't it got highlighted more often in the media. It's been going on for 7/8 years.

Where is his protection from the football authorities? It's a double standard and a complete joke.
It gets highlighted every year, it's not a secret. He should get more protection from the FA for the abuse he receives as a result, but where is the evidence that the FA discriminate against issues raised by white players?

Moriarty

No wonder it went all HAL on you, mate.
'I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid....'

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Not to sure theres to many in SF either
SF aren't perfect, far from it. I wouldn't vote for them but if you want to talk about which of the two is more progressive and forward thinking and more inclusive (SF/DUP), then it's SF all day long. Not even close.

The DUP are the most abhorrent mainstream political party in western civilisation. In fact, they are closer to Sharia Law, than modern politics.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

I feel he's genuinely a very big hearted guy. Just not too bright.
Why should he have to move abroad? This attitude of “if he doesn’t like it, he can feck off” is ridiculous, and would be rightly considered racist if directed at a black player who had complained of abuse. The fact you’re not extending him the same compassion sort of proves his point.

Champagne Football

Are you for fecking real. Would you say the same if Pogba/Lukaku etc where getting called niggers?
Look if Pogba refused to stand for the UK anthem, then he is guaranteed to be called a number of hideous names from a small percentage of scumbags in the crowd, who are begging for any excuse to dump their hate on someone.

I find it a little ironic that McClean is so against the Union Jack yet is happy to be paid astronomical amounts of money by the Union Jack Country.

Pogba and Lukaku will always be called those names by one or two neanderthals. It's next to impossible to stamp it out of the game 100% as we can't have a microphone and camera facing every single fan in the stadium.

Classical Mechanic

So what you're suggesting is that the FA aren't giving the issue the same treatment because of where he's from?
Surely that same discrimination would pour over into other incidents of misconduct reported by players of the same background?
I'm not arguing against you as such, just pointing out that there is a history there. I'd say the FA are not taking action (if they haven't) because the occurrence is rare and that the vast majority of Irish people are not discriminated against in this way as much any more. They were in the not so recent past though.

For Mcclean, the abuse is more about the individual and what he openly represents politically. That said, he shouldn't be abused at games.

arnie_ni

SF aren't perfect, far from it. I wouldn't vote for them but if you want to talk about which of the two is more progressive and forward thinking and more inclusive (SF/DUP), then it's SF all day long. Not even close.

The DUP are the most abhorrent mainstream political party in western civilisation. In fact, they are closer to Sharia Law, than modern politics.
Will i dont vote for dup either, saying thermy are worse than sf is probably a stretch.

I mean if it wasn't for the GFA, quite a few of SF would still be in jail, Martina anderson included who just got the most votes in the recent European elections.

Id personally cull the two parties and start with uup sdlp and alliance

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm not arguing against you as such, just pointing out that there is a history there. I'd say the FA are not taking action (if they haven't) because the occurrence is rare and that the vast majority of Irish people are not discriminated against in this way as much any more. They were in the not so recent past though.

For Mcclean, the abuse is more about the individual and what he openly represents politically. That said, he shouldn't be abused at games.
I'd agree with that, I just think it's incorrect to say he's being discriminated against because he's white, or even his issue gets lack of coverage because he's white, when (correct me if i'm wrong) most of his abusers are likely to be white; given the racial breakdown of this country, and most of the people in the FA are also white.

He's being discriminated against, and he's white - but the two aren't influenced by each other, imo. The history of the Celtics v Anglo Saxons makes more sense and I agree he shouldn't be getting abuse at any games. Plus he's right to say something about the FA's lack of action too.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

It gets highlighted every year, it's not a secret. He should get more protection from the FA for the abuse he receives as a result, but where is the evidence that the FA discriminate against issues raised by white players?
McClean added: “The FA has never contacted me for starters. Do you watch Sky Sports News? Have you ever seen a story about me being discriminated against?

“There wasn't a peep about the birthday card.

“After we contacted them first, Kick it Out, I got a measly statement because there was a lot of pressure on them, which meant nothing to be honest.

“The same thing happened this year, with the Middlesbrough game, where I clearly got abused.

“People were trying to come on the pitch and I called them ‘uneducated cavemen’, which they were. I got a warning from the FA.

The Derryman claims some of his fellow players have supported him privately, but not publicly.

“People want an easy life, don't they? Fair play, it's not nice getting the abuse. If they want to avoid that, I've got no issue with it.”
The FA have been aware of the situation for years. He contacted 'Kick it Out' who weren't interested, his fellow players aren't comfortable coming out supporting him as they know they won't be protected by the authorities.

Everyone's up in arms to protect Sterling but not McClean who's left to just deal with it?

What is 'Kick it Out' meant to stand for? Taking a stand against those who treat people unfavorably or in hostile ways solely because of their race, which is what fair minded people think racism is. So McClean is as much a victim of racism as Sterling.

Is that not discrimination?

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

He’s right. The fa are cowards and cretins.... but talking of cretins, this lad takes some beating. If you’re going to be a gobshite, you’re going to cop some back.

The Don

Will i dont vote for dup either, saying thermy are worse than sf is probably a stretch.

I mean if it wasn't for the GFA, quite a few of SF would still be in jail, Martina anderson included who just got the most votes in the recent European elections.

Id personally cull the two parties and start with uup sdlp and alliance
You, see, I'm not talking about individuals. I could point out innumerable links between the DUP members and The UVF, but I don't need to, it's irrelevant because I'm talking about the policies, not the people.

If somebody who knows absolutely nothing about NI, looked at the policies of SF compared to DUP, just the policies, then SF would stand out as far more progessive.

However, one thing we definitely agree on, is bin the bloody both of them. I wouldn't have a party that solely representns one community over the other. I'd rather have the divide they have on the mainland, compared to that. Elites vs Working class.

2 man midfield

I'd agree with that, I just think it's incorrect to say he's being discriminated against because he's white, or even his issue gets lack of coverage because he's white, when (correct me if i'm wrong) most of his abusers are likely to be white; given the racial breakdown of this country, and most of the people in the FA are also white.

He's being discriminated against, and he's white - but the two aren't influenced by each other, imo. The history of the Celtics v Anglo Saxons makes more sense and I agree he shouldn't be getting abuse at any games. Plus he's right to say something about the FA's lack of action too.
I don’t think McClean is being discriminated against because he’s white, but his case is being treated differently because of it. I think that was more his point.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The FA have been aware of the situation for years. He contacted 'Kick it Out' who weren't interested, his fellow players aren't comfortable coming out supporting him as they know they won't be protected by the authorities.

But everyone's up in arms to protect Sterling but not McClean who's left to just deal with it?

Is that not discrimination?
How is that proof that it's done because he's white? That's proof that he's being ignored, but it's not proof that he's being ignored because of the colour of his skin.
There are plenty of white players who report incidents to The FA and they don't seem to have a problem with it - hell Harry Kane was awarded a goal last year when he didn't even touch the ball.

Also Sterling has been getting abuse for years too and made to be the scapegoat for England's International failures - it wasn't like he's always been supported, in fact he had to call out the media before the tide really turned for him - so maybe McClean doing something similar will help him too.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don’t think McClean is being discriminated against because he’s white, but his case is being treated differently because of it. I think that was more his point.
By that logic the discrimination would affect other white players too, right?

arnie_ni

You, see, I'm not talking about individuals. I could point out innumerable links between the DUP members and The UVF, but I don't need to, it's irrelevant because I'm talking about the policies, not the people.

If somebody who knows absolutely nothing about NI, looked at the policies of SF compared to DUP, just the policies, then SF would stand out as far more progessive.

However, one thing we definitely agree on, is bin the bloody both of them. I wouldn't have a party that solely representns one community over the other. I'd rather have the divide they have on the mainland, compared to that. Elites vs Working class.
There's obviously the 2 policies in the dup that stand out, abortion and LGBTQ rights, so i can see where your coming from in a sense.

But yes both should go. A party made up of head uup and SDLP members would probably do well. Its what alliance is trying to do

2 man midfield

By that logic the discrimination would affect other white players too, right?
If they were ever to be on the receiving end of discrimination, yeah. The difference is they rarely are. But that isn’t McClean’s fault, and I don’t think he should be treated any differently.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Celts aren't exclusively Irish/Scottish. In fact, Celts originated in mainland Europe. I don't see how any European can claim a purity of ethnicity.

IrishRick

Matic doesn't wear it, keeps his head down and goes about his business though.

Is mclean more vocal about hence the abuse and the media wrangling. Or is it the media wrangling and the abuse the makes him more vocal.

Either way it keeps going round and round for him

Indeed ye are right. However these incidents occurred after the initial uproar about him not wearing the poppy. Which led to some awful fan abuse as one of ye point out should be eradicated. The thing is once his believes are being questioned and the abuse thrown at him then why should he be quiet? He has every right to turn his back or give what is an intentionally inflammatory interview.

His critics gave him a platform that neither his intellect or talent merited. He has decided, bravely or stupidly perhaps both, to get his view across. He has taken a massive negative and turned it into a massive personal and political positive. It's not a bad way of turning the abuse back on those ignorant fans

The Don

There's obviously the 2 policies in the dup that stand out, abortion and LGBTQ rights, so i can see where your coming from in a sense.

But yes both should go. A party made up of head uup and SDLP members would probably do well. Its what alliance is trying to do
It would be great to see somebody other than the big 2. We need a secular party. Religion has no place dictating policy.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
How is that proof that it's done because he's white? That's proof that he's being ignored, but it's not proof that he's being ignored because of the colour of his skin.
There are plenty of white players who report incidents to The FA and they don't seem to have a problem with it - hell Harry Kane was awarded a goal last year when he didn't even touch the ball.

Also Sterling has been getting abuse for years too and made to be the scapegoat for England's International failures - it wasn't like he's always been supported, in fact he had to call out the media before the tide really turned for him - so maybe McClean doing something similar will help him too.
You definitely can make the case it's being ignored because of the colour of his skin. What is 'Kick it Out' meant to stand for? Taking a stand against those who treat people unfavorably or in hostile ways solely because of their race, which is what fair minded people think racism is. By definition, that makes McClean as much a victim of racism as Sterling was/is. One is ignored though. How is that fair?

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes unfortunately, but i would also say English people are indoctrinated to just 'get on with it' in general. McClean case is rare in that he has the bottle to speak out about his injustice. Not everyone would do that.

I hope it does force them to finally do something about it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If they were ever to be on the receiving end of discrimination, yeah. The difference is they rarely are. But that isn’t McClean’s fault, and I don’t think he should be treated any differently.
Of course he shouldn't be treated differently. The discrimination here isn't that he's being treated differently because of race, but rather the FA are not giving the treatment that he gets, any attention, because he's white.
In order for that to be the case there would have to be other instances where the FA continually ignore other white players who report incidents of misconduct that they receive.

Conor

Not that I necessarily agree, but the point he is making is that the FA are discriminating against him by not doing anything about the abuse he receives(in his opinion, due to the fact that he is white). I don't see how the ethnicity of his abusers or the FA members conflicts with that statement, he's simply saying that he feels the lack of recognition of the abuse from the FA wouldn't happen if he was a black player being abused.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You definitely can make the case it's being ignored because of the colour of his skin. What is 'Kick it Out' meant to stand for? Taking a stand against those who treat people unfavorably or in hostile ways solely because of their race, which is what fair minded people think racism is. By definition, that makes McClean as much a victim of racism as Sterling was/is.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes unfortunately, but i would also say English people are indoctrinated to just 'get on with it' in general. McClean is rare in that he has the bottle to speak out about his injustice. Not everyone would do that.

I hope it does force them to finally do something about it.
Kick It Out don't do much to help black players who receive abuse either, so they're not exactly where the bar is.

Not that I necessarily agree, but the point he is making is that the FA are discriminating against him by not doing anything about the abuse he receives(in his opinion, due to the fact that he is white). I don't see how the ethnicity of his abusers or the FA members conflicts with that statement, he's simply saying that he feels the lack of recognition of the abuse from the FA wouldn't happen if he was a black player being abused.
See my above posts. And the FA have a long history of inaction - hell Sterling & a few other players got monkey chants aimed at them and the FA issued a fine against the opposing team.

The FA themselves are unfit and inept regardless of who they serve.

2 man midfield

Of course he shouldn't be treated differently. The discrimination here isn't that he's being treated differently because of race, but rather the FA are not giving the treatment that he gets, any attention, because he's white.
In order for that to be the case there would have to be other instances where the FA continually ignore other white players who report incidents of misconduct that they receive.
White players aren’t discriminated against often, or hardly ever really. But I do think he has a point - Irish discrimination is alive and well and the fact that people who have no problem telling him to ‘put up with it’ or ‘feck off if he doesn’t like it’ aren’t chastised is evidence that it isn’t taken quite as seriously. Maybe because it’s so rare? That’s probably true, but it’s unfortunate if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.