James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifted

City, Leeds and Liverpool. It's like the unholy trinity or something.
Almost as bad as Anelka!

Milner's a good player, but he should only ever be a squad player for a team with Champions League aspirations. But, in saying that, I reckon he'll prove a success particularly as he'll add legs in that midfield area which they lacked somewhat last season.

Castia

City will miss him he's a decent player. Good signing for Liverpool.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
He hasn't signed yet. The teams have just agreed a fee. He could still fail his medical or have a disagreement on personal terms.

SoCross

Good addition for them. I like Milner, dull as feck but gets the job done. Bit like our Tony.

prateik

I dont think he is losing money by moving to Liverpool. Probably got a decent signing on fee which would have made up for the difference in wages.

Still.. looks like he has moved to play more which is nice to see. He could easily have stayed at City, get plenty of money and add a few medals to his collection.

I think he is pretty good.. but he isnt getting any younger. Not sure how good a signing he will turn out to be.

vodrake

He hasn't signed yet. The teams have just agreed a fee. He could still fail his medical or have a disagreement on personal terms.
He's leaving on a Free so they don't have to agree a fee with City, and Liverpool's Twitter have announced they're agreed Personal Terms. He does still have to pass the medical, but its pretty much a formality at this point.

Jev

Good signing for Liverpool. He's done well to stay relevant at City. I wouldn't have minded if we had picked him up.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
We lack experience and he brings that, can play in a few positions and works hard for the team.
I think he is a good signing (note I said the same about Lambert and Cole).

Zoo

Not sure if Milner will still be able to cut in in the middle. He showed promise as a box to box midfielder at Villa but then moved and was never going to be given that responsibility at City. I think eventually his versatility will mean he'll be shunted around again at Liverpool but he should be a regular starter.

thelemon

wtf ever happened to Jose Enrique?
The season before last I thought he was excellent, and when Paddy was on the down I genuinely wouldn't have minded picking him up as a cheap, stopgap replacement whilst I waited to see if Shaw was going to progress (he clearly did), but then he got a serious injury and I'm not sure how much he's played this year. I think he's played a little bit but a lot of Liverpool fans don't like him from what I've seen so he clearly hasn't recovered from that injury well. Shame, really.
I hate how the transfer window reminds us exactly how much these people earn. It's just disgusting
Why is it disgusting? Different things are of different values to different people, and clearly football clubs believe that players are worth so much. I think Milner's is a bit high, but who are we to say how much another human being is "worth"?
Which is worse from a United fan's viewpoint - Milner's list of clubs or Anelka's (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Real Madrid) ?
Anelka hasn't played for Leeds so probably Milner's list is worse. Real Madrid aren't "rivals" in the slightest, and Chelsea is only a rivalry based on competing for the title. Right now we aren't doing that and I don't think there is any kind of strong dislike towards them off the pitch in the same way that there is towards City, Pool and Leeds. I don't class Arsenal as rivals anymore either.
Bloody hell, how can he say things as stupid as that? Scousers, eh.

thelemon

He's a solid player that won't do them any harm, but he's so boring. Imagine being linked with Depay and getting Milner instead :lol: It's like being linked with Thiago and Kroos and going for Fellaini. Imagine that...

Shark

@NotShark
He's not exactly young is he? at 29 they'll probably get around three seasons max. Remember Ji Sung Park fading around that age.

Jammydodger7

This is weird! interesting to find out how much Liverpool are paying him! Seems like City were offering more and he was getting enough games but he's given up champions league and title challenge?! Great signing though

Tarrou

I'm surprised City let him go. He's hard working, tactically disciplined and consistent. The perfect guy to come in and do a job against a top 4 side.

bishblaize

I think this is a decent signing for Liverpool. Maybe not the awe-inspiring one that the rawkers are making out, but Milner knows his way around the league and should hit the ground running. When you consider how many 'potentials' they have in the squad, a player who can make a difference right now will really help, even if he is ultimately limited in the scheme of things.

matt23

Decent signing, compared to last years selections anyway. He'll need the right players around him, but I can already see him being their most consistent player next season.

Oo0AahCantona

Good signing for liverpool. I rate him higher than blind whose managed to get ample gametime for us.

El Zoido

He's a decent player but I doubt he'll improve them much. I'm just glad we didn't sign him.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Pissed off he's gone to Liverpool. He started most big games for City and had dislodged Navas in the first team this season. Of all seasons for him to decide he wants to go, this one is the hardest to understand.

Nanook

£30m spend on an average PL player who is 29 with no residual value looks like poor value to me.
Do the big teams need players with resale value any more? I'm not sure they do, players will always look expensive if you add up their wages, if Van Persie sees out the final year of his contract he would have cost United nearly £80m in total. If Milner has 2/3 good seasons for Liverpool and leaves for nothing I think it would be money well spent for them.

Last edited:

Truedevil

I think he will flop. He was decent around players like Agüero, Silva, Toure but when he will have to play with the likes of Henderson, Balotelli, Lallana he will have to step up and be the main man. I don't think he is capable of that.

He is a decent player and for free it's a no brainer for Liverpool. It's not like they can sign better players than him.

Glanville95

Either way this signing can't hurt in anyway. Liverpool are signing a decent, reliable player on a free transfer who had a won every domestic trophy and brings invaluable experience to an otherwise, largely depleted and inexperienced side.

In terms of his contribution on the pitch, I don't think he'll drop to Liverpool's standards. I don't subscribe to the notion above that he only performs due to the calibre of player he plays alongside at City, in spells this season he has actually been their best player at times, plus he'll have a new lease of life playing centrally.

Very good signing for Liverpool it must be said.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think he will flop. He was decent around players like Agüero, Silva, Toure but when he will have to play with the likes of Henderson, Balotelli, Lallana he will have to step up and be the main man. I don't think he is capable of that.

He is a decent player and for free it's a no brainer for Liverpool. It's not like they can sign better players than him.
What would represent flopping? There's a limit to how much somebody like Milner can flop, really. You pretty much know what you're getting.
He looked good for Villa in centre midfield, and he's barely changed as a player since then.

Shark

@NotShark
I think some are going overboard with the 'great signing' comments. He's a decent signing at best. A great signing for them would have been Depay, but he's ours.

Truedevil

What would represent flopping? There's a limit to how much somebody like Milner can flop, really. You pretty much know what you're getting.
He looked good for Villa in centre midfield, and he's barely changed as a player since then.
I pretty much expect him to give Lallana esque performances throughout the season. An odd goal or an assist here and there but nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.