Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I want to see a front 3 of Memphis Martial Wilson. Might be just the alcohol in me though.
Memphis so far in the EPL has been shite, Martial has played a few minutes in the EPL and Wilson apart from a couple of games has the look of a lad who is not ready for it.
Conclusion= You are pissed.

El Zoido

They'll get there. With young players it just takes a spark. I'm confident about Memphis and Martial if they're our future we could do a hell of a lot worse.

Devil may care

Nev seemed baffled by what is going on with Wilson, the fact he can't even make a bench that doesn't have a single striker option on it.

Devil may care

LVG thinks fellaini is a striker now.

btw hope to see him starting in midweek.
I would have thought the notion of Fellaini as a striker died in the Liverpool game. Maybe Wilson is not applying himself well enough in training or something, but it seems odd that we cancelled his loan if we don't intend to get him involved.

Me too, Wilson and Pereira will hopefully be starting on Wednesday.

FromTheBench

Agreed. He played the full 90 today so doesn't seem he would be starting vs fecking Ipswich either.

rotherham_red

It's a long season ahead of us and even if the Fellaini experiment continues, I can see Wilson getting his opportunities eventually, simply because Martial is still a kid and will need to be rested. If I was to hazard a guess, it'll be around the Xmas period when we see Wilson in the first team, with all those games coming in thick and fast.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

It's a long season ahead of us and even if the Fellaini experiment continues, I can see Wilson getting his opportunities eventually, simply because Martial is still a kid and will need to be rested. If I was to hazard a guess, it'll be around the Xmas period when we see Wilson in the first team, with all those games coming in thick and fast.
He doesn't need a game here and there, he needs to play regular football in a more competitive league than the U21's.

At the moment he is not even on the bench.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People overestimate the concept of loans, it's something that usually sounds great but practically it is very rare for a young player who went out from a top club to make it at the club. I have nothing against sending Wilson out on loan but look at the example of Bamford who had a pretty successful Championship loan last season and has played 16 minutes on loan at Palace this season. The premier league clubs have far too much money and so obviously they aren't bothered about youth products of other clubs while you have to consider a lot of factors for Championship clubs. Maybe the people at United feel that rather than playing in the championship he would be better off building himself up at United

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Martial could be the best thing that ever happened to Wilson because they're not too dissimilar. I thought he might be subbed for the cup game but the under 21's haven't played that many games so it might not matter. I think he'll be on the bench against Ipswich.

United again!

People overestimate the concept of loans, it's something that usually sounds great but practically it is very rare for a young player who went out from a top club to make it at the club. I have nothing against sending Wilson out on loan but look at the example of Bamford who had a pretty successful Championship loan last season and has played 16 minutes on loan at Palace this season. The premier league clubs have far too much money and so obviously they aren't bothered about youth products of other clubs while you have to consider a lot of factors for Championship clubs. Maybe the people at United feel that rather than playing in the championship he would be better off building himself up at United
If you have absolutely no chance of making it into the first team at your parent club. You're to far out to get regular appearances (also factor in the bizarro world subs Van Gaal likes to utilize) off the bench then a loan move is important if you get a chance to fight for their first team and make regular appearances. Sometimes just to get out on loan and experience first team football in the young lads case.

I think Van Gaal has said in the past that they simply don't play enough youth games to make the system viable for developing talent.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Martial could be the best thing that ever happened to Wilson because they're not too dissimilar. I thought he might be subbed for the cup game but the under 21's haven't played that many games so it might not matter. I think he'll be on the bench against Ipswich.
Peireira to replace Memphis and wilson on the right IMO.

Trizy

We have some players on our hands in Martial and Wilson. I rate Wilson higher than any youth that has come out of our academy since the class of 92, we NEED to hold onto him. In practice football has kinda moved away from two strikers but imagine a simple 442 with Memphis and Januzaj on the wings supplying Wilson and Martial. :drool:

rotherham_red

We have some players on our hands in Martial and Wilson. I rate Wilson higher than any youth that has come out of our academy since the class of 92, we NEED to hold onto him. In practice football has kinda moved away from two strikers but imagine a simple 442 with Memphis and Januzaj on the wings supplying Wilson and Martial. :drool:
The good thing about Wilson, Pereira, Martial, Januzaj and Memphis is that none of them (with the possible exception of Wilson and Martial) are competing with each other in their positions. Pereira will be moulded into an 8/10 hybrid a la Herrera, Wilson is a striker, though can do just as good as job as a wide forward, ditto Martial and Januzaj (if we don't bring anyone in) will be on the right, along with Memphis on the left. Pretty much a perfect symmetry to their positional play too, and hopefully they will get game time together to build up a rapport. A pretty tantalising prospect if it works out :drool:

Trizy

The good thing about Wilson, Pereira, Martial, Januzaj and Memphis is that none of them (with the possible exception of Wilson and Martial) are competing with each other in their positions. Pereira will be moulded into an 8/10 hybrid a la Herrera, Wilson is a striker, though can do just as good as job as a wide forward, ditto Martial and Januzaj (if we don't bring anyone in) will be on the right, along with Memphis on the left. Pretty much a perfect symmetry to their positional play too, and hopefully they will get game time together to build up a rapport. A pretty tantalising prospect if it works out :drool:
Indeed and lets not forget Shaw! Surely with the exception of Shaw at least two of Martial, Januzaj, Wilson, Memphis and Pereira will go on and become world class players (or very close to it). Exciting future ahead.

wiz4231

Pereira..........Goss
Memphis
Wilson........................Martial
Januzaj​

Roboc7

He has to make an impression this season I think, it's concerning he can't even get in the bench when the only competition is martial and an out of form Rooney, even fellaini seems to be ahead of him. Doesn't look like he will play tomorrow which is a bit of a shame I think.

settembrini

Very disappointed that he won't be given a chance tomorrow. Why refuse to loan him if he can't make the squad for a cup game against lower league opposition.

settembrini

Shimo

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...r-Manchester-United-against-Ipswich-Town.aspx

Meanwhile, young duo James Wilson and Jesse Lingard won’t be required to face Ipswich after they both scored in 90-minute displays for the Under-21s against Everton on Monday.

The manager added: "I don’t need them so they can have a day off and then Thursday they will be fresh and can train."
Ouch that's a bit disheartening for both of them, to not even get a chance on the bench.

FromTheBench

So why hasn't he gone out on loan yet, again ?

Doesn't make sense. What the feck are we doing with him ?

LVG seems to rate U21 football much higher than it is.

Trizy

So why hasn't he gone out on loan yet, again ?

Doesn't make sense. What the feck are we doing with him ?

LVG seems to rate U21 football much higher than it is.
Probably Rooney getting injured put a halt to it.

Sylar

Wouldnt blame them if they wanted to leave.

Im still under the impression (same talent wise) if we had bought Wilson he would be playing (and obviously on more money).

dirkey

Im still under the impression (same talent wise) if we had bought Wilson he would be playing (and obviously on more money).
We wouldn't have bought Wilson as he hasn't yet shown anything to warrant a purchase by a top club.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Lingard is 3 full years older than Wilson. Him wanting to go to play full time first team football is fully understandable. Wilson leaving for that reason would be crazy, his chance will come. Even if that means sticking around until LVG leaves, he'll be 21 and still have time on his side.

Brightonian

No doubt. I mean, we basically did buy him, except French and expensive.

Sylar

We wouldn't have bought Wilson as he hasn't yet shown anything to warrant a purchase by a top club.
Like we didnt buy Bebe, Bellion, Martial...

You can buy on potential and youre more inclined to give them a chance than youth from your own setup.

Ole'sbodyguard

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...r-Manchester-United-against-Ipswich-Town.aspx

Meanwhile, young duo James Wilson and Jesse Lingard won’t be required to face Ipswich after they both scored in 90-minute displays for the Under-21s against Everton on Monday.

The manager added: "I don’t need them so they can have a day off and then Thursday they will be fresh and can train."
Anyone else find this a bit odd?

We are not exactly blessed with big squad depth in terms of strikers and wingers and the Carling Cup is the perfect time to rest the likes of Mata and Depay who have started every competitive fixture this season. I'd have though Rooney and Martial would also be rested from this match. I could see Fellaini and Young starting tomorrow but would have thought two from Pereira, Lingard and Wilson would have been starting this match, especially with United being back in the Champions League and the fact that we have not loaned Wilson out.

LVG's mention of a day off sounds like Lingard and Wilson are not even going to be including in the subs.

Last edited:

Ole'sbodyguard

Loans have played a large part in the development of a number of young players. It's better for a young footballer to being playing regularly if he has outgrown reserve and youth football.

Loans helped Welbeck, Cleverley, Wilshire all develop as players just by simply playing regularly. Plenty of other examples as well. They don't always work out but there comes a point when they only way to develop is to play regularly.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not sure about this. It could be argued that the reason it's rare for a young player at a big club to make it after a loan is because said player wasn't good enough. Usually if a player is going to be the real deal, they won't need a loan. They will force their way into the team right at the beginning.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It is very strange and disappointing. If you can't give him a chance against Ipswich then he's not going to get one at all.

khoazany

I wonder if he's not impressing LvG in training.
I think it's just a case of lacking "match rhythm".The U21s game last Monday is the first time Wilson and Lingard has ever played at any level this season (if we don't count BCD friendlies which I think both of them only had featured once).Considering how long did it takes until LVG started to put Rojo on the bench (he had to play a friendly vs. Ajax B before that) it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

It's a waste to play Wilson at U21s level though definitely.He scored 1 assisted 1 vs. Ajax B and did the same vs. Everton U21s despite not looking like he put 100% onto it.His issue has always been matching his game with the tactical side of senior football.On U21s football he'll just get the ball and start to run at defenders, which he wouldn't have the same luxury on the first team due to various reasons so even if he scores 50+ goals with the U21s it wouldn't help his chance with the first team.

Last edited:

kundalini

Looking at Transfermarkt's stats, LVG seemed to lose interest in Wilson around the time he changed our formation to a single striker system 4-3-3. Wilson went from getting a few mins most games to nothing from mid Feb until the last game of the season. A bit weird given Wilson's goals were scored in Jan (QPR) and early Feb (Cambridge). He spent March and April playing in the U21s.

I have to say that the contrast between LVG's patience towards older players who are woefully out of form (Rooney, RVP, Falcao, Fletcher etc) and his treatment of younger players doesn't impress me in the slightest.

The younger out-field players (McNair, Pereira, Lingard and Wilson) should all get 10+ starts (mostly League Cup and FA cup), otherwise they should be out on loan.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I think it's just a case of lacking "match rhythm".The U21s game last Monday is the first time Wilson and Lingard has ever played at any level this season (if we don't count BCD friendlies which I think both of them only had featured once).Considering how long did it takes until LVG started to put Rojo on the bench (he had to play a friendly vs. Ajax B before that) it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

It's a waste to play Wilson at U21s level though definitely.He scored 1 assisted 1 vs. Ajax B and did the same vs. Everton U21s despite not looking like he put 100% onto it.His issue has always been matching his game with the tactical side of senior football.On U21s football he'll just get the ball and start to run at defenders, which he wouldn't have the same luxury on the first team due to various reasons so even if he scores 50+ goals with the U21s it wouldn't help his chance with the first team.
I hope that's right but you mention not giving a 100% in the U21 game yesterday, I wonder if frustration is getting to him and affecting things a bit, it must be difficult to see a striker the same age as you bought and get starts immediately. The only way to get him up to speed playing-wise is to involve him, even if it's just 20 minutes here and there at first, as the U21's just don't play often enough for him to build up any of LvG's "match rythym" that way.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I kind of want to see him and Martial play in a two striker line up for once with Basti and Carrick in a midfield picking them out. Sunderland are shit enough to try out a 4-4-2 for nostalgia sake right?

Status
Not open for further replies.