4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

Him, Martial and Mata is our best bet as a front three this season. Rooney and Depay don't seem like they're going to be giving us anything.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
#FreeWilson

Seriously though, with Rooney and Memphis stinking it up for weeks now, it's ridiculous that he haven't gotten some game time before today. Hopefully that trend is turning now.

Ixion

He was decent when he came on, I really don't think he'd offer us less than Rooney at this point so why not give him a go.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
im usually very critical of him as i rate him very highly but think he had a good cameo today and hopefully LVG will start using him more often.

Ludens the Red

I'd really like to see him get a go. I know he's a bit weak and raw but he has pace and he moves, instantly making him a far superior player to Rooney.
A front three of Memphis, Martial and Wilson could cause some havoc then again Memphis has been more or less completely shit since he signed.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'd really like to see him get a go. I know he's a bit weak and raw but he has pace and he moves, instantly making him a far superior player to Rooney.
A front three of Memphis, Martial and Wilson could cause some havoc then again Memphis has been more or less completely shit since he signed.
That's a bit harsh on Memphis imo, I do like your idea of that front three though, put Mata, Schneiderlin, and Herrera/Schweinstegier in behind and we could be getting somewhere.

Sadly Rooney muddies the waters with this idea.

Trizy

Needs more game time, this guy is so talented. He looked like he linked up well with Martial too.

Kopral Jono

I'd like to see him be given the chance to operate from the left in place of Memphis. He can't possibly do worse and he actually has pace for a start.

Devil may care

I'd like to see him get some games as a wide forward, I think he has the skill set to excel there.

ZDwyr

This phrasing is weird as it seems to suggest that Memphis is slow.
Well I wouldn't suggest that Memphis is overly quick? From what I have seen Wilson looks to have a lot more pace than Memphis.

SoCross

I'm not sure what he did to impress against Arsenal in the 10 minutes he was on? But yes, want to see more of him, hopefully he'll start making some appearances off the bench, both him and Pereira

settembrini

Adam Marshall just posted this on manutd.com

OPINION: TIME FOR WILSON TO PUSH HIS CLAIMS
The positives were far from plentiful when Manchester United last played, eight long days ago at Arsenal, but there was at least a bright spot in James Wilson making his first senior appearance of the season.

The 19-year-old striker came off the bench for the closing stages of a difficult afternoon at the Emirates Stadium and understandably, given the circumstances, he was restricted in having any major impact. The brief cameo was more cautious than explosive, which has sometimes been the case when he is introduced into games - it certainly was at the same stadium last year when the Reds held out for victory. Yet there persists the feeling an unleashed Wilson can wreak havoc on even the best of defences with his movement and direct approach. This could be his time to shine.

Maintaining the form of a two-goal debut under Ryan Giggs's temporary stewardship in May 2014 was an almost impossible challenge but he gained more experience during Louis van Gaal's first campaign in charge and showed glimpses of what all seasoned watchers of the younger United teams know he can produce.

Blessed with incredible pace and a dead-eyed instinct for goals, there is no doubting Wilson is a real talent. United showed faith in him with a new long-term contract last month and by thus far resisting loan approaches from the string of clubs desperate to obtain his services.

Van Gaal has suggested Wilson is the natural deputy for Anthony Martial at present but voiced concerns at a lack of action for the Englishman. "He has to play but I have doubts about letting him go," explained the boss recently. "Maybe he shall receive minutes off me because I have to rotate, as I did against Ipswich Town, and it can also be done in the other matches. So, I have talked with him and I think that we wait until December."

The manager thinks he will have a clearer picture closer to Christmas as to whether he can release Wilson on loan but in the short term, the striker needs to show he can force himself into the side and make a real impact. Scoring, as he often does, in United Under-21s' win over Everton did his cause no harm and he will look to hit the net again when representing his country on Tuesday evening.

Wilson scored on his England Under-21 debut against USA Under-23s and will be on the goal trail again when Kazakhstan provide the opposition for Gareth Southgate's team at Coventry's Ricoh Arena. One point to note is Southgate made a reference after the centre-forward's satisfying bow last month to the fact there is more physical development to come.

On this front, there was an encouraging sign from Wilson's only Under-21 outing for the Reds this term. During the 3-1 victory over Everton, when he also contributed a nice assist for James Weir, the striker was involved in a crunching challenge with Matthew Pennington. Unfortunately, the Toffees' bruising centre-back was unable to continue but Wilson got to his feet and showed no ill effects.

Last season, when watching Willo, there was sometimes the fear he would be left hobbling due to the physical treatment he received from opponents, probably due to his burgeoning reputation and his habit of making life awkward for defenders. So it was reassuring to see evidence that he is perhaps becoming more durable and capable of riding such strong tackles.

The talent is there and another goal for England Under-21s on Tuesday would relay the message that he is ready for more involvement at United. Maybe even with another game against Everton on Saturday, but this time for the first team at Goodison Park in the Reds' next Barclays Premier League assignment.
Interesting because you don't often see the official site put up articles like this where the writer is essentially asking for a specific player to be given time in the team.

Jev

Interesting to hear LVG's thoughts on a loan. I hope we can bring in another forward in January and loan him out. He's not good enough to really play a part for us right now and needs to get some consistent senior football. Maybe a top Championship side.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Adam Marshall just posted this on manutd.com
Interesting because you don't often see the official site put up articles like this where the writer is essentially asking for a specific player to be given time in the team.
As the article states 'The views expressed in this article are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United.'
These kinds of articles have been published before, nothing new.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Interesting to hear LVG's thoughts on a loan. I hope we can bring in another forward in January and loan him out. He's not good enough to really play a part for us right now and needs to get some consistent senior football. Maybe a top Championship side.
To be fair he is definitely the third best striker at the club and given Rooney's form he might even be second by the end of season. Then again Cameron Jerome would be the second best striker at United now.

wiz4231

We should play him as a forward wide player, kinda like how Martial being playing for France, It would be interesting to see. I'd like to see Depay given a shot upfront, I don't know why but I think it could work.

FromTheBench

limping about after a stupid foul on his part. Silly boy.
What foul ?

He'll be fine, i think. Usually looks to be limping mid game many times.

Anyway, he's held his own physically better than i expected. Though he doesn't fit in with the philosophy.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What foul ?

He'll be fine, i think. Usually looks to be limping mid game many times.

Anyway, he's held his own physically better than i expected. Though he doesn't fit in with the philosophy.
Where he had about 5 first touches going towards our own goal then eventually put it out for a throw in (my mistake) but not before having a hack at his defender.

FromTheBench

Where he had about 5 first touches going towards our own goal then eventually put it out for a throw in (my mistake) but not before having a hack at his defender.
Ah, don't think a foul was given there but a throw in.

I saw him limping after the sandwich between the 2 defenders and GK though.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The foul the linesman gave was a joke. To be honest. This game don't suit Wilson. He's an off the shoulder striker and there's very little space. I hope we bring on Martial, play him as the focal point and put Wilson on the wing for Depay. Let Martial give us some composure in the final third and get Wilson's touches in and around the box. He can link play but I don't think it's a strength. Give him room to run at players and hopefully he'll grab himself a goal

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Feel for Wilson. Desperately needs to be playing football, especially as the U21s have barely played this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.