g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

I kind of want to see him and Martial play in a two striker line up for once with Basti and Carrick in a midfield picking them out. Sunderland are shit enough to try out a 4-4-2 for nostalgia sake right?
Rooney will always play so that's a big no.Not the worst idea in paper though.

lysglimt

Scout
I hate to say this but for Wilson's own development he needs to leave United. If he can't even make the bench against Ipswich in the cup when we only have 2 other strikers at the club - it's hard to see him having a future under van Gaal. I would love to be wrong though

Rednotdead

I hate to say this but for Wilson's own development he needs to leave United. If he can't even make the bench against Ipswich in the cup when we only have 2 other strikers at the club - it's hard to see him having a future under van Gaal. I would love to be wrong though
Just what I was about to say. Wilson is in limbo, in the first team squad but never likely to play. Added to that, U-21 matches are few and far between so little chance there to get match time. If I were his agent or parent I'd be advising him to leave as he's at the stage where he needs regular football if he is to develop and be the best he can be. Lingard is beginning to look as though he's in the same position.

ThePlaymaker

Why on earth Wilson cant get a game for us, I have no idea. Especially since his competitions are only Fellaini who is rubbish. Lvg is supposed to be a manager who brings local lads through, yet Wilson cant get a game? Not even on the bench? Dont tell me Wilson isnt good enough. This kid is one of our best young talents since the class of 92 alongside Januzaj and Pereira. This is wrong management. WTF is going on.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't LVG say he was going on loan at a fan even about two weeks ago? We are wasting his time.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Listen, if and when Wilson is good enough for the first team, Van Gaal will put him in - he has no problem playing young players - look at Shaw and Martial this season. Wilson didn't show enough in the opportunities he had last season for me. As for Ipswich - I think LVG has learned from the embarrassment of MK Dons and he doesn't want to risk a repeat.

RedDevil@84

Why on earth Wilson cant get a game for us, I have no idea. Especially since his competitions are only Fellaini who is rubbish. Lvg is supposed to be a manager who brings local lads through, yet Wilson cant get a game? Not even on the bench? Dont tell me Wilson isnt good enough. This kid is who is one of our best young talents since the class of 92 alongside Januzaj and Pereira. This is wrong management. WTF is going on.
Fellaini has more balance :lol::lol:

Rednotdead

Listen, if and when Wilson is good enough for the first team, Van Gaal will put him in - he has no problem playing young players - look at Shaw and Martial this season. Wilson didn't show enough in the opportunities he had last season for me. As for Ipswich - I think LVG has learned from the embarrassment of MK Dons and he doesn't want to risk a repeat.
So why not send him out on loan? Why leave him sitting around doing nothing when he could be at another club developing his game and learning?

It's clear he's way down the pecking order in Van Gaal's mind and he's just wasting Wilson's time.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just what I was about to say. Wilson is in limbo, in the first team squad but never likely to play. Added to that, U-21 matches are few and far between so little chance there to get match time. If I were his agent or parent I'd be advising him to leave as he's at the stage where he needs regular football if he is to develop and be the best he can be. Lingard is beginning to look as though he's in the same position.
As is Johnstone. Although in his case he may want to wait 1 more year before deciding.

JoaquinJoaquin

Why on earth Wilson cant get a game for us, I have no idea. Especially since his competitions are only Fellaini who is rubbish. Lvg is supposed to be a manager who brings local lads through, yet Wilson cant get a game? Not even on the bench? Dont tell me Wilson isnt good enough. This kid is who is one of our best young talents since the class of 92 alongside Januzaj and Pereira. This is wrong management. WTF is going on.
Look i'll be honest I think he is overrated slightly and hasn't really convinced me on his first team chances YET but I find his absence pretty surprising this season with the lack of depth we have. Give him the chances or loan him out, he is too good for under 21's football that is for sure.

settembrini

Two points.

Firstly the issue isn't really that people think Wilson should be a regular or anything. It's just that it doesn't make sense that we have been rejecting chances to send him on loan but won't give him any minutes ourselves, not even in the league cup.

Secondly the Shaw and Martial examples seem a bit disingenuous. They were both big money signings who were already playing regularly at other teams. Van Gaal would look silly if he paid so much for them and then didn't give them chances. It's his use of players from our own academy that is a causing a little bit of concern. Last season Januzaj, Wilson and Pereira got less minutes combined than Falcao. Three hugely promising players being held back by a washed-up loanee isn't the sort of thing United should be doing imo.

Varun

Staff
I won't say he needs to leave but he sure as feck needs to ask our management what exactly the plan is. We didn't send him out on loan though teams wanted him. Yet, he can't get on the bench and now won't even be fielded in the bloody Carling Cup. Bizarre. It isn't good for his development at all.

ThePlaymaker

I really don't like this business of putting players down simply because Lvg doesn't fancy them. Of course he's the manager so makes the decisions. But the idea that Wilson isn't good enough is ludicrous. Wilson isn't good enough, yet Fellaini is?

The kid exudes class the every time he's on the pitch. In the Liverpool game last season he was average and people shot him down because of it. But against QPR away he showed his talent. He has bright football brain, intelligent movements, great energy, enthusiasm, can get past people, got pace, sharp eyes for goals. He's a natural finisher, one that we never have from our own academy for how many years.

When such a talent like Wilson cant get a game yet Fellaini can, I cant think of it other than bad management.

For years we have waited for exceptional talents to come through from our academy, yet when they do appear we waste them? Januzaj's been already kicked out on loan, now Wilson and Pereira cant get a game. This spells disaster for our homegrown talents.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's fairly obvious what's happened here. We couldn't let Wilson go out on loan with Rooney the only striker at the club and the timing of the Martial signing meant it left us little or no time to find the right loan for him. Sending players out on loan always carries a risk that it will feck up their development far worse than staying put, if they end up with the wrong manager/team. I'd far rather he stays put until January then get rushed off somewhere where he'll get no more minutes and train/play with a load of donkeys. It really is fecking tedious the way people will use anything as a means to have a pop at the club/manager these days. Well I say "these days" but this forum has always had people who insist they know more about developing young players than the coaching staff at Manchester United but they do seem a lot more numerous/vocal in the post-Fergie era.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So why not send him out on loan? Why leave him sitting around doing nothing when he could be at another club developing his game and learning?

It's clear he's way down the pecking order in Van Gaal's mind and he's just wasting Wilson's time.
Either LVG doesn't think we currently have a enough depth in the squad in this position or he feels he will develop better at United. I don't think he would get a regular game at any Premier League team bar maybe Norwich so it would be a Championship loan if he went.

m1y2

Both Lingard and Wilson deserved to be at least on the bench.. Lingard would also play as 10 better than Rooney currently, he's a bit like our Mané, had a great game for u21, completely outgrown that level..

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still don't know where to play him, he is too weak to play upfront, I would like to see more of him on the right wing.

khoazany

It's fairly obvious what's happened here. We couldn't let Wilson go out on loan with Rooney the only striker at the club and the timing of the Martial signing meant it left us little or no time to find the right loan for him. Sending players out on loan always carries a risk that it will feck up their development far worse than staying put, if they end up with the wrong manager/team. I'd far rather he stays put until January then get rushed off somewhere where he'll get no more minutes and train/play with a load of donkeys. It really is fecking tedious the way people will use anything as a means to have a pop at the club/manager these days. Well I say "these days" but this forum has always had people who insist they know more about developing young players than the coaching staff at Manchester United but they do seem a lot more numerous/vocal in the post-Fergie era.
So we can question United's transfer business on this forum but we can't question the manager about how he manages youth players?Should just close down the caf for good sake.

Red_Beans

It is so difficult to judge young players from a fans perspective. We see them make the odd cameo off the bench or in pre-season, and a few fans watch them at U21 level, which is miles behind first team football. But most of us have a quite understandable bias to players from our academy, we believe in them because we so badly want them to be great.
I gave Cleverly years of leeway for that reason when I look back at it now.

Point being, we really have to back our managers judgement when it comes to youngsters. I cant trust my own, and LvG has a record of developing youngsters, he wouldn't hinder a players development if that player was ready

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So we can question United's transfer business on this forum but we can't question the manager about how he manages youth players?Should just close down the caf for good sake.
Nothing wrong with sensible criticism but when there's a really obvious explanation for what's going on (the one in my post you quoted) then all the moaning just seems like part of the general background whinging that has ramped up spectacularly since Fergie retired.

Rednotdead

Nothing wrong with sensible criticism but when there's a really obvious explanation for what's going on (the one in my post you quoted) then all the moaning just seems like part of the general background whinging that has ramped up spectacularly since Fergie retired.
Martial, Rooney and Fellaini (as a last resort) are all ahead of Wilson, so I'm not exactly sure your "really obvious explanation" holds up. Is it so much better for him to be sitting in the stand every week twiddling his thumbs than playing, even at a Championship club?

prath92

Two points.

Firstly the issue isn't really that people think Wilson should be a regular or anything. It's just that it doesn't make sense that we have been rejecting chances to send him on loan but won't give him any minutes ourselves, not even in the league cup.

Secondly the Shaw and Martial examples seem a bit disingenuous. They were both big money signings who were already playing regularly at other teams. Van Gaal would look silly if he paid so much for them and then didn't give them chances. It's his use of players from our own academy that is a causing a little bit of concern. Last season Januzaj, Wilson and Pereira got less minutes combined than Falcao. Three hugely promising players being held back by a washed-up loanee isn't the sort of thing United should be doing imo.
We started Wilson ahead of falcao against Liverpool even. I don't think we would have done that if we didn't rate him. We had to give more chances to falcao to see whether he still is good enough so as to buy him permanently. In hindsight, we can say he is washed up but a manager can't take decisions like how you or I can. We gave chances to loads of academy players. McNair was pretty much a mainstay last season. So was Blackett to an extent. Januzaj actually played games. He unfortunately didn't perform well enough to warrant a place in the team. I don't think we have ever put a player in the team if he didn't stake a claim with his performances under Fergie also.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Martial, Rooney and Fellaini (as a last resort) are all ahead of Wilson, so I'm not exactly sure your "really obvious explanation" holds up. Is it so much better for him to be sitting in the stand every week twiddling his thumbs than playing, even at a Championship club?
Feck me. You didn't even read the "really obvious explanation", did you?

Brightonian

I still don't know where to play him, he is too weak to play upfront, I would like to see more of him on the right wing.
He's really not. It's hard to imagine anyone who's watched him play at all seriously wanting to play him anywhere other than #9.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's really not. It's hard to imagine anyone who's watched him play at all seriously wanting to play him anywhere other than #9.
I have seen him play and while I'm convinced that he has all the technical attributes to be a great striker, I'm unsure about his physique. He reminds me Gameiro.

Rednotdead

Feck me. You didn't even read the "really obvious explanation", did you?
Yes, I did, but it doesn't hold up. Do you imagine Ed just woke up and said to himself "I think we'll sign Martial today"? Of course not, negotiations would have been going on long enough for us to have put contingency plans in place for Wilson if and when Martial signed.

I can't see any circumstances in which Van Gaal will play Wilson, even in the unlikely event that Martial and Rooney are injured. How could he start him when he hasn't been on the pitch all season?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes, I did, but it doesn't hold up. Do you imagine Ed just woke up and said to himself "I think we'll sign Martial today"? Of course not, negotiations would have been going on long enough for us to have put contingency plans in place for Wilson if and when Martial signed.
You think the clubs considering getting him on loan were happy leaving a vacancy in their first team squad just waiting there right up to the end of the transfer window, in case we decided we could use it?

I can't see any circumstances in which Van Gaal will play Wilson, even in the unlikely event that Martial and Rooney are injured. How could he start him when he hasn't been on the pitch all season?
Same way he'd start any other player who's needed in an injury crisis. Wilson is getting games for the U21s. Van Gaal has already made it quite clear he sees those games as preparatory work for first team matches.

Rednotdead

You think the clubs considering getting him on loan were happy leaving a vacancy in their first team squad just waiting there right up to the end of the transfer window, in case we decided we could use it?
Not at all, the loan window runs from 9th Sept to the 25th.

Same way he'd start any other player who's needed in an injury crisis. Wilson is getting games for the U21s. Van Gaal has already made it quite clear he sees those games as preparatory work for first team matches.
The u/21s have very few games e.g. they haven't got another game for a month.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's pretty clear that the club wanted him to go out on loan so maybe we are still looking at all the options for him rather than just sending him to any club just for a chance at first team football. I can understand the frustration some people have but I don't see any real reason for the management to have any sort of bias against him while giving other young players a chance.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Van gaal isnt playing him because he isnt a striker anymore and needs work towards playing on the right hand side.

It happened in pre-season where Januzaj scored from the centre & wilson set him up from the wings.

We cant send him out on loan because most teams will probably end up playing him upfront.

Varun

Staff
Van gaal isnt playing him because he isnt a striker anymore and needs work towards playing on the right hand side.

It happened in pre-season where Januzaj scored from the centre & wilson set him up from the wings.

We cant send him out on loan because most teams will probably end up playing him upfront.
That's just bizarre.

RooneyLegend

Amazing how many prem level players we have in our ranks yet we spend lots of monet to fill the squad year upon year. The coaches of the teams that play against our u21's or other big teams are failing their clubs. Lots of unused talent doing the rounds in english football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not at all, the loan window runs from 9th Sept to the 25th.
Yes and loaning a player is like signing a player. Clubs will want it done as early as possible. Once the season starts it immediately becomes harder to find a club with an appropriate vacancy in their squad.

The u/21s have very few games e.g. they haven't got another game for a month.
That won't stop Wilson being promoted if both Rooney and Wilson got injured.

Right now, it obviously does make sense to send him on loan. I'm sure the club are looking into this. It really isn't the end of the world (for him or us) if we need to wait until the next window to find the right one for him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Where did you learn this gem? Or are you just making shit up?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Agree with this. He's quick, has good movement and, being left footed, would cut in effectively from the right. A front three of Memphis, Martial and Wilson could be really exciting.

Brightonian

I have seen him play and while I'm convinced that he has all the technical attributes to be a great striker, I'm unsure about his physique. He reminds me Gameiro.
His physique is pretty good for a 19-year old. He'll get stronger, obviously, but he's certainly not lacking in that department at the moment. He's actually got about the same build as Martial at the moment.

But these preconceptions do tend to hang around youngsters. Obviously he was quite willowy (ho ho) when he was 17. That's why new signings tend to get an easier ride than our own kids with fans.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Where did you learn this gem? Or are you just making shit up?
it is made up but what we lack now is not a second striker is it? We have martial starting with rooney taking the forward spot on occasion.

What we lack is a RW who cuts in an uses his left foot. Up until the moment we buy that player - i solely believe that van gaal wants wilson to take mata's spot eventually when he is ready to do so.

kundalini

On tour Wilson played as a central striker with the exception of one game when he played on the left wing. He was involved in the build-up for Lingard's goal against Barcelona, with the assist coming from Blackett. Jesse Lingard supplied the assist for Januzaj's goal late in the same game. I watched all the matches on tour. At no stage was Wilson used on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.