4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are somewhat thick. Leaving ourselves with one senior striker who has been awfully out of form for a while and a new signing as the only two options for striker position is absurd. Why don't we send Martial and Herrera on loan while we are at it, so we have no options whatsoever for front 4 aside from first choice players?

Bwuk

Chris Martin is crap so he'll be ahead of him.

Good move if true. People will say it's mad that we are leaving ourselves short, but LvG would probably play Fellaini as a #9 rather than start Wilson if he had too.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
if we can recall him anytime ts a great deal....

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We are somewhat thick. Leaving ourselves with one senior striker who has been awfully out of form for a while and a new signing as the only two options for striker position is absurd. Why don't we send Martial and Herrera on loan while we are at it, so we have no options whatsoever for front 4 aside from first choice players?
What would be REALLY stupid is ruining a young promising player's chances of making it by keeping them around to play a few minutes here or there.

The under 21s are a waste of time. Players like Wilson, Januzaj and McNair need to play regularly or they will never develop.

FromTheBench

Chris Martin is crap so he'll be ahead of him.

Good move if true. People will say it's mad that we are leaving ourselves short, but LvG would probably play Fellaini as a #9 rather than start Wilson if he had too.
They have Weimann and Bent too tbf.

Probably prefer adding other areas.

mav_9me

What would be REALLY stupid is ruining a young promising player's chances of making it by keeping them around to play a few minutes here or there.

The under 21s are a waste of time. Players like Wilson, Januzaj and McNair need to play regularly or they will never develop.
But with chicharito gone surely Wilson could have gotten good game time as the 3rd choice striker or out wide behind Mata, no?

sincher

I don't see him getting much game time (not enough to develop as a player, anyway) unless we get a serious injury - and it sounds like if we do, we can recall him.

I think we should be looking for a similar arrangement for McNair.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He is one of the two strikers at the club who has actually been here for more than two weeks. Even if he goes behind Martial (and he likely could) he would still be third choice with both of his competitors bound to be used in different positions (Rooney is basically our second/third #10 and Martial is one of 4 wide players). We will be playing in 4 competitions this season and hopefully have 50+ games to play - if we cannot find games for him or Januzaj we may as well give up.

I'm not sure going out on loan to Championship will bring him that many benefits. He needs top level football.

sincher

Finding a few games here and there is not (remotely) enough, that's the point. If we need him, we can recall him. The idea that you need three players for a position is just silly.

Not so sure Derby is a great move, though (nor Dortmund for Januzaj). All depends on their time on the pitch. Both clubs at a decent level, at least.

dave2528

Did this loan actually go through?

If so, he needs recalled asap and given a chance. Fellaini shouldn't be considered for striker anymore, and we can't rely on just Marcial and Rooney up top.

Brightonian

Agreed, Rooney's injury and the total failure of the 'start Fellaini up front' experiment makes it pretty clear that we should keep him around. To be honest regardless of price tag I rate him as equal to Martial in terms of promise and experience at the moment. Keep them both around. Hell, start them both. Imagine the pace of that attack!

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He needs a loan, Rooney's injury wasn't that bad so he will soon be back, Wilson would be third choice, he needs game time.

prath92

I think Wilson would have finished that mignolet error that led to a chance for fellaini. He is accurate when he gets a shot.

Devil may care

Agreed, Rooney's injury and the total failure of the 'start Fellaini up front' experiment makes it pretty clear that we should keep him around. To be honest regardless of price tag I rate him as equal to Martial in terms of promise and experience at the moment. Keep them both around. Hell, start them both. Imagine the pace of that attack!
Experience? Martial has played nearly 50 games for Monaco including big CL ties with Arsenal and Juve. Talent-wise is subjective obviously but Martial has performed well in big games as a starter already, Wilson has had a handful of sub appearances and a couple of starts at senior level.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If Rooney is going to be back soon then he should go on loan. He is incredibly raw and struggles against physical defenders who sit deep. He isn't going to get better in these areas just training. He has all the abilities to deal with it and just needs the experience now to get used to senior football.

Brightonian

Experience? Martial has played nearly 50 games for Monaco including big CL ties with Arsenal and Juve. Talent-wise is subjective obviously but Martial has performed well in big games as a starter already, Wilson has had a handful of sub appearances and a couple of starts at senior level.
So Martial's had about a season's worth more games. But Wilson's been training with United's first team for more than a season already and has played games in the Premier League, so his familiarity with the team and the football probably comes pretty close to balancing that out. I'm not saying they're identical, just that we can basically treat them as being in about the same place in their careers and development, regardless of the fact that Wilson came from our academy for free and Martial came for a massively inflated fee.

Jev

What is it that makes a lot of United fans believe this kid has a bright future here? I don't follow the youth team and I'm sure he's looked very promising there but so have a shitload of other players before him who turned to nothing. Besides being quick, he's shown absolutely nothing at senior level so far. Looks extremely ordinary for me and people who say he's on the same level as Martial in terms of potential - I sure hope not because then those 36 million look even more crazy.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see what has gotten people so excited.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What is it that makes a lot of United fans believe this kid has a bright future here? I don't follow the youth team and I'm sure he's looked very promising there but so have a shitload of other players before him who turned to nothing. Besides being quick, he's shown absolutely nothing at senior level so far. Looks extremely ordinary for me and people who say he's on the same level as Martial in terms of potential - I sure hope not because then those 36 million look even more crazy.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see what has gotten people so excited.
A goal every 155 minutes is absolutely nothing?

Devil may care

So Martial's had about a season's worth more games. But Wilson's been training with United's first team for more than a season already and has played games in the Premier League, so his familiarity with the team and the football probably comes pretty close to balancing that out. I'm not saying they're identical, just that we can basically treat them as being in about the same place in their careers and development, regardless of the fact that Wilson came from our academy for free and Martial came for a massively inflated fee.
A season full of regular top flight senior football and 2 CL ties against huge clubs like Arsenal and Juve I would say puts him comfortably ahead in terms of experience in important games where you are playing as the main forward, he's shown he can cope with that both mentally and physically. Bar the Hull debut Wilson has barely started and has made very little impact in his sub appearances, I'd say he's got a lot still to learn which is why he'll go on loan and Martial will likely start on Tuesday as he's much closer to being ready to be a main player at United at this point in time.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

He's very skillful and has great balance on the ball, he's quick and he's a very good finisher.

Absolutely no idea what level he'll make it at as it's just potential, but I'd rather him than Fellaini up front even if he isn't good enough. Fellaini has no attributes to make him useful as a striker so playing him there ahead of anyone in our squad who is a striker is incredibly stupid. It's saying to Wilson that he isn't going to get on the pitch no matter what.

dave2528

He's scored a shed load of goals at the reserve level and he's hardly been offered a chance in the first team. Then there is this:

Even considering the fact that he's young and inexperienced, he's a natural as a striker, something Fellaini is not. Plus, he's about the only other option we have on the books at the moment.

Jev

He's very skillful and has great balance on the ball, he's quick and he's a very good finisher.

Absolutely no idea what level he'll make it at as it's just potential, but I'd rather him than Fellaini up front even if he isn't good enough. Fellaini has no attributes to make him useful as a striker so playing him there ahead of anyone in our squad who is a striker is incredibly stupid. It's saying to Wilson that he isn't going to get on the pitch no matter what.
It's not that I'd rather we play Fellaini than Wilson. None of them are near good enough to be second-choice striker at United in my opinion. I can't believe we've allowed that to happen. I'd take Adebayor on a free at this point.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's not that I'd rather we play Fellaini than Wilson. None of them are near good enough to be second-choice striker at United in my opinion. I can't believe we've allowed that to happen. I'd take Adebayor on a free at this point.
Wilson should be playing football somewhere. If Van Gaal rates him as below Fellaini in the striker pecking order, he should send him on loan. What's the point in him being in the squad if Van Gaal is going to play random completely unsuited players in his position ahead of him?

I'm not sure how WIlson would have made himself more useless than Fellaini anyway...in fact Wilson played against Liverpool last year and was better despite the fact he didn't do anything other than make runs.

I agree neither should be second choice. Regardless of how good he is or isn't, Wilson isn't experienced enough for that. Fellaini shouldn't be used as a striker anymore than he should be used as a goalkeeper.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Won't be here in a few years I'm certain. He's very overrated by a fair few on here

jb8521

He's the best striker I've seen come through the academy in the past 20 years. He's at the stage of development which can be the hardest for the club and player to manage where he's too good for under 21s football but not quite ready to be a first team regular.The main thing he needs to work on is finding space and getting more involved in the game against senior players because he definitely has the ability. Aside from being just quick he's a very good dribbler, has a very powerful and accurate shot from anywhere around the box and is 1 of the coolest 1 on 1 finishers I've seen in such a young player. Obviously he has to transfer it to senior football as with all young players but he has a huge amount of talent. There's a video here which shows all of his goals from the 2013/14 season which shows what an array of different types of goals he's capable of http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...nchester-United-201314-goals-compilation.aspx

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Won't be here in a few years I'm certain. He's very overrated by a fair few on here
I think that's premature, but I do agree that he has it all to prove that he has a future at the top level. Right now, he's just another player who has looked very good at reserve level. At first team level he's looked no United player. Nothing wrong with that, as he's only young - but the fact is, he still has to look a United player and until then, who knows.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Bit early to write of a 19 year old kid isn't it?

I think he is a gem, but really in need of a loan, the U21's is way too easy for him.
@Rozay

I just think he's destined to become a midtable striker much like cleverly (yes he's a midfielder but same principle) he will do a decent job at Everton or a team similar to them but United is too big for him.

LR7

Those who believe in him are the ones who frequent the youth forum and are more likely to have watched him a fair bit. I'm in the same boat. Knew it wouldn't happen but I wanted him to start yesterday with Fellaini behind.

I feel like he's got bags of potential and I'd love him to be given chances this season but it looks unlikely that he will here, in which case, for the sake of his development he'd be best going out on loan.

Jaxa

What a lot of shit, you clearly haven't seen him enough, he looks a class above when playing for the U21's, also to @Jev he's hardly had any opportunity at Senior level so how we can judge him there is ridiculous, I believe he will turn good if given a chance, I hate how some people on here just write young players off before they even get a run of games, were all crying out for pace and hunger in the players but were never playing those young hungry players, we desperately need to put trust in Wilson,Periera,Lingard,Januzaj etc and stop playing an out of form Rooney or bloody Fellaini as a #9, jaysus

Sam

I still think he's going to be an absolute star. Just needs to bulk up, and get some playing time.

mav_9me

He's the best striker I've seen come through the academy in the past 20 years. He's at the stage of development which can be the hardest for the club and player to manage where he's too good for under 21s football but not quite ready to be a first team regular.The main thing he needs to work on is finding space and getting more involved in the game against senior players because he definitely has the ability. Aside from being just quick he's a very good dribbler, has a very powerful and accurate shot from anywhere around the box and is 1 of the coolest 1 on 1 finishers I've seen in such a young player. Obviously he has to transfer it to senior football as with all young players but he has a huge amount of talent. There's a video here which shows all of his goals from the 2013/14 season which shows what an array of different types of goals he's capable of http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...nchester-United-201314-goals-compilation.aspx
Slightly surprised by that. You rate him higher than Rossi when he was in our academy and reserves? Rossi is the best youngster I have seen

The other thing is that we hadn't really been producing any strikers till Welbeck. ( maybe Rossi before that).

noodlehair

"It's like..."
His main problem in PL games from what I've seen is he's too lightweight. He's a front man so if centrebacks can just brush him away from the ball he's always going to struggle to impact on games. So I don't think you'll really see whether he can make it as a PL striker until he fills out and is in his early twenties.

I take it the people willing to write him off have just never watched him aside from in the first team? I'm not saying he'll make it at United as you have to be pretty near the top bracket to do that, but he has plenty of ability to be worth giving some time. He's a 19 year old who's barely started a game and has 4 goals for Manchester United, that's not exactly write off material. That sort of decision doesn't have to be made for another two or three years.

dave2528

I don't know if there would be a better time to give him a look. Fellaini is completely out of his comfort level and being played in direct opposition to his strengths when put in as striker. At no point in that role did he look comfortable or even remotely effective yesterday. Playing him there is a waste. So that leaves us with just Marcial able to effectively play in the 9 role when Rooney isn't fit?

We're still in all competitions at this point and our main striker is a 13 year veteran of the league, and prone to occasional bouts on the treatment table. We have a converted midfielder with no genuine striker ability and a 19 year old who's played 25 minutes in the league as backup. Wilson should at least be getting a sniff under these circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.