g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's too much pressure to put on his shoulders though. He showed that last season. I know any backup player is better than no backup player but it's likely harmful for his development. He's got a lot of potential and we need to give him games to realise that. He just can't get that here. There's too much pressure on the striker to perform for a striker of his age. It's the same reason Rossi left.
I agree, but then the issue is that all we have is Wayne Rooney and lad who is the same age as Wilson, but with the added pressure of having a £37m price tag on his head.

It'll be a great move for him, but it just leaves us incredible bare. Can only think someone else must be coming in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
what the heck is it with us and West Brom?

Fletcher, Evans, Lindegard and now Wilson?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
There must be someone else coming in. Surely. Surely.
People need to stop saying this. By now I'm convinced the higher ups are locked up in some drug madness getting rid of players just because they can.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Haha thanks, I almost had a heartattack, I thought they took Jessie too!
because of that 20min display he got v Swansea on the opening day last season?
He's faded into oblivion hasn't he?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
because of that 20min display he got v Swansea on the opening day last season?
He's faded into oblivion hasn't he?
No I like him, hes a decent player. Would like him to get a PL loan. You know some of us do watch are young players in the reserves, whilst they are on loan or when the play for england u21s

Bugzy

Pleased for the lad. Did he seem delighted or careless and have chewing gum in his mouth like against Arsenal.

FromTheBench

Made one great through pass too after coming on. Should have had a assist too probably.

FromTheBench

Southgate said in the post match interview he was a work in progress. Needs filling out more and deal with the physical stuff better but he is a real goalscorer.

Bwuk

Yeah he doesn't look physically ready at times. Some pass that though.

Marcus

Excellent. Well done, Wilson! The pass was wonderfully well-weighted.

NoPace

Wilson will be our RW the season after this.
Memphis-------Martial----Wilson/Januzaj
------------Pereira/Januzaj----------------
----------Herrera---------------------------
--------------------Schneiderlin------------
Shaw-------------------------------Darmian
-----------LCB-------Smalling--------------
-----------------GK-------------------------

We have pretty damn good options everywhere for players under 26, except at LCB and GK (assuming De Gea leaves).

FromTheBench

Memphis-------Martial----Wilson/Januzaj
------------Pereira/Januzaj----------------
----------Herrera---------------------------
--------------------Schneiderlin------------
Shaw-------------------------------Darmian
-----------LCB-------Smalling--------------
-----------------GK-------------------------

We have pretty damn good options everywhere for players under 26, except at LCB and GK (assuming De Gea leaves).
Wilson would be a waste at RW.

Anyway, he might not be LVG left footed LCB but Jones at CB alongside smalling is pretty good.

Guess, could put Johnstone at GK if not De Gea.

Red_toad

Lad needs to go out on loan this season, he needs to gain more experience than the odd game here & there (probably not in preferred position) at United. I think a Championship loan would toughen him up, ready for a Premiership loan next season, then he'd be ready to compete for a starting role, with whoever is here 17/18 season. Would hate to see him sold as he's just not getting enough game time.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If he keeps scoring at u21 levels, sooner or later he will get a good run of games in senior team for club. He has to get some games somewhere anyway this season as we don't have enough players to rotate in 4 competitions. Just hoping he takes those chances to impress LvG and maybe push for starts in PL too. I think he is kind of player LvG would like. It is just about LvG having enough confidence about Wilson leading line when stakes are high.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The championship is a tough, tough division. Its very physical and wouldn't play to Wilsons strengths at all. I think he's better to stay with us and gradually learn through reserve games while he still beefs up. When he gets to Januzajs age (who has arguably bulked up alot) he will be more suited to a loan then i feel. It's either that or league 1 in my opinion but that would be a big drop down for a player of his caliber. Reputation wise i think he's more established then that but coming up against championship style defending could ruin his confidence i think. He's not built like Bamford who was able to hold his own physically as an example. Id rather he get carling cup minutes and the odd appearance off the bench whilst benefiting from training with the first team.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I doubt we'll loan him out. He can play as a wide forward. It's better for him to get used to playing with the United players and he'll be fine once he finds his feet. He's back scoring goals which is good and that'll give him confidence. We've a very young team potentially so i'm sure they'll be a great team spirit.

m1y2

His development was a bit weird to me past year. He stagnated a lot and he had decent number of chances to prove himself. He failed to do that, always looked like he can last only 40mins or so... big problem is also his holdup play being below average, his aerial abilities are poor too. So yeah maybe use him as a wide forward

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Memphis-Wilson-Martial

The lineup is inexperienced but oozes pace and fluid movement we need badly. I hope LvG will try that in the Cups at least.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes he could play either side of an attacking three though I don't think that is optimal personally.

NoPace

If Martial is going to drift left a lot, then Wilson at RWF in the sort of role Cavani plays for PSG makes sense:

--------Martial---------------
--------------------Wilson---
Memphis--------------------

with Memphis looking to come infield, Martial looking to drift left and Wilson looking to just go straight vertically toward goal.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd rather him stay here than go on loan to a Championship club. I think he would've got games at say Bournemouth for example, Wilson and Wilson up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.