Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's played winger in the youth (before converting) so it's no problem. We probably wanted to take the pressure off somewhat by putting him on the wing and letting him help us defend the lead. He didn't get much of the ball but he's very capable of being a hybrid winger/forward. I think he can get away more not being as strong on the wing - Adnan (if you believe the reports), worked hard over the summer and is stronger at the minute then Wilson. Against Barcelona Adnan did what hopefully Wilson will be able to in a season or so.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The thing is, people are fairly mitigating that he is only 19 etc, which of course is very true. However, he just doesn't look ready to make a worthwhile impact at first-team level yet. He may be 19, but then so is Andreas Pereira. Players, even young players, must take their opportunities when it presents. Adnan did at 18, Andreas appears to be doing so at 19, just as Paddy did. I'm not a big fan of the caf culture to constantly offer excuses for players not playing well enough. I'm not saying Wilson is done at 19, but the fact is, he is out there for a reason and it is not unreasonable to expect even a young player to play well. He's fit, he is playing with quality footballers. The reality of the business is that he either does it when called upon, or he stops getting called upon. Young or not. He needs to start doing more than he has done if he wants to stay around the first-team here next season.
Anders game mostly is in front of him. Wilsons on the last defender. In some respects it's easier looking forward because you can see what's coming, you can pass it and you're surrounded by more bodies so finding space (like anywhere is important). I don't think we played that many great through balls last season, to anyone. That might change with the midfield we have now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What to do with James? The fact is, counting him as one of our strikers this season is falsely beefing up the numbers in my opinion, he does not look ready to contribute anything significant here by a long way. That said, loan deals are also tricky too, and often do more harm than good. Also, U21 footy is of little use either, other than match-fitness perhaps.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Loan him. He isn't good enough for the first team yet and needs a good amount of games in a competitive league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Keep him and play him.

We need to have faith in youngsters with this type of potential if they are to progress in to top class players.
We did that last season, and IMO that was a mistake, he wasn't ready and he needs to play regularly. Loan him.

khoazany

He's 19 and will progress over the course of the season.If we keep him we should play to his strength, otherwise no point.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The likes of Rooney, Falcao and RVP struggled in our system, I have no idea why Wilson wouldnt. It's best for him to get loaned to a lesser club where he gets opportunities to play football where the strikers get involved and score goals.

Cassidy

He's 19 and will progress over the course of the season.If we keep him we should play to his strength, otherwise no point.
Easy to forget he is still that young

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Keep him and play him.

We need to have faith in youngsters with this type of potential if they are to progress in to top class players.
Little basis for that. I understand what you mean about showing faith in youngsters, but that works both ways. Andreas has earned more games, as did Adnan. Wilson has not.

FromTheBench

We did that last season, and IMO that was a mistake, he wasn't ready and he needs to play regularly. Loan him.
He barely got any significant time last season thanks to Falcao stinking up the place but getting time again and again.

Cassidy

He barely got any significant time last season thanks to Falcao stinking up the place but getting time again and again.
I like Wilson and hes a talent, but in some of the games he got (esp the FA cup) he was very poor, and rightly so didn't get on again.
He did however put in some good perfomances in the league and scored a few goals.
Its a shame Falcao was around as he would have got more time, but IMO at his age he needs to be playing every week and building his confidence at senior level, that is what is best for his development and we should send him on loan.
Even if its in the championship where he can get used to the more physical part of the game (where he seemed to struggle last year)

An example is Patrick Bamford who had a great season last year on loan.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We'll have lot of games in the first half of the season with league cup, fa cup and CL group games so he will have plenty opportunity to get games.

I'd say we should keep him until at least Jan. By then he should have played a few games for us and we'll be in a better position to judge whether he should stay the remainder of the season or whether he should get 5 months regular football elsewhere.

Cassidy

We'll have lot of games in the first half of the season with league cup, fa cup and CL group games so he will have plenty opportunity to get games.

I'd say we should keep him until at least Jan. By then he should have played a few games for us and we'll be in a better position to judge whether he should stay the remainder of the season or whether he should get 5 months regular football elsewhere.
The issue here is that Januzaj looks like he's going to play as a striker...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The issue here is that Januzaj looks like he's going to play as a striker...
So that makes 3, arguably 4.

Unless one comes in we shouldn't be moving any on anyway.

Cassidy

So that makes 3, arguably 4.

Unless one comes in we shouldn't be moving any on anyway.
We have Rooney, Hernandez, Januzaj and then Wilson.
Maybe until Jan that is ok, but for me he needs to be playing games, regularly. That is going to be more benificial to him than playing for the U21 and then sitting on our bench.

Ole90+3

Why do you think it was a mistake? He got himself a few goals.

He should have been playing ahead of Falcao last season.

If he stays he will still have 2 or 3 strikers ahead of him. We will have options and also have the opportunity to give him experience in the cup matches.

Cassidy

Why do you think it was a mistake? He got himself a few goals.

He should have been playing ahead of Falcao last season.

If he stays he will still have 2 or 3 strikers ahead of him. We will have options and also have the opportunity to give him experience in the cup matches.
I'm just of the opinion that playing every week at senior level on loan will be more benificial to him than playing for the U21s and 6/7 cups and league games for us this season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We're not going to loan a 19 year old who's had as many injury problems as Wilson. We'll be keeping a watchful eye on him here and trying to find opportunities for him to play and learn.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure that he is ready for a loan yet. I don't think that there is a single EPL team who would play him regularly, more likely they would put an experienced old donkey upfront than give the chance to a very talented youngster.

I would say to keep him for an another season, give him 20 matches or so and then see how things will go.

starman

Not sure that he is ready for a loan yet. I don't think that there is a single EPL team who would play him regularly, more likely they would put an experienced old donkey upfront than give the chance to a very talented youngster.

I would say to keep him for an another season, give him 20 matches or so and then see how things will go.
Wouldn't expect any PL side to give him regular games, loads of Championship sides would. If another striker is brought in he should definitely be loaned.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Good I want to see him getting games! Loan please. U21 only playing 1 game a month, that is ridiculous!

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
There must be someone else coming in. Surely. Surely.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Wilson definitely isn't ready in fairness. Januzaj and Hernández are concerns but Wilson does genuinely need a loan.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
So rooney is our only striker?

Hahahahaha if this is true its so bad it's actually funny

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wilson definitely isn't ready in fairness. Januzaj and Hernández are concerns but Wilson does genuinely need a loan.
If both those latter players were still here I'd 100% agree... hell, if even one of them was here I would agree.

Ibi Dreams

There must be someone else coming in. Surely. Surely.
You've got to think so. We were already looking thin up front - to let go Wilson, Januzaj and Hernandez and only bring in Martial would be mad

rpitchfo

I said Martial was wilsons replacement in the Martial thread, stand by that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If both those latter players were still here I'd 100% agree... hell, if even one of them was here I would agree.
It's too much pressure to put on his shoulders though. He showed that last season. I know any backup player is better than no backup player but it's likely harmful for his development. He's got a lot of potential and we need to give him games to realise that. He just can't get that here. There's too much pressure on the striker to perform for a striker of his age. It's the same reason Rossi left.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
You've got to think so. We were already looking thin up front - to let go Wilson, Januzaj and Hernandez and only bring in Martial would be mad
I'm genuinely starting to believe Kane's coming. I need to lie down.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great loan move. Clearly not currently up to playing for us yet, and needs football with less pressure.

Of course, in the current soap episode of Manchester United Are Clueless - it will be seen as a joke that we are allowing Messi out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.