4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

So am I correct in thinking he didn't go on loan in the end?

If our striking options weren't so thin West Brom could've been a good move for him. But with Hernandez' exit and Januzaj's loan clearly leaving game-time begging up front, there's definitely an opportunity for him here.

Sir A1ex

His development was a bit weird to me past year. He stagnated a lot and he had decent number of chances to prove himself. He failed to do that, always looked like he can last only 40mins or so... big problem is also his holdup play being below average, his aerial abilities are poor too.
Easy to forget how young he still is. That was his U21 debut he scored on!

We're not really going to have much option but to have him on the bench a lot this season, and probably starting a few matches too, given the striker exodus. So LVG must be seeing something pretty decent in training to have that faith.

Drainy

Not strong enough to handle the premier league every week from the start, but he's a good option from the bench when we are chasing a goal.

He's going to be a very good striker in a few years, I'm glad we've kept hold of him. There was talk that he might want away permanently this summer due to a lack of game time.

Both him and Martial seem like 9 and a halves, both comfortable up top/ dropping deeper and moving to wide positions. It will be interesting to see if they can play together!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
he is strong enough he just doesnt know how to use his body, when and if he learns that we will have a top striker in our hands.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not strong enough to handle the premier league every week from the start, but he's a good option from the bench when we are chasing a goal.

He's going to be a very good striker in a few years, I'm glad we've kept hold of him. There was talk that he might want away permanently this summer due to a lack of game time.

Both him and Martial seem like 9 and a halves, both comfortable up top/ dropping deeper and moving to wide positions. It will be interesting to see if they can play together!
I think he's even more useful when guarding a lead. A good out-ball and pacey for the counter attacks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Article by Norcroft that the Caf retweeted cites van Gaal as 'unconvinced by James Wilson'. Well...

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He'd be good on the left of a front three though. Could be our own version of Thierry Henry. He did most of his best work from the left.
Henry was right footed and enjoyed cutting in from the left and finishing with his right foot.

Also, Henry always performed the best while starting from a central position - and drifting wide left as he pleased and as the space opened up for him.

The equivalent for Wilson would be playing on the right, surely? I can't imagine he'd excel while tasked with getting past his man and whipping it into the box...

Nickosaur

Wilson has impressed me at reserve level more than Welbeck and even Will Keane. I'm convinced he can make it here, and I can't see how reports of LvG not rating him are true. True, he needs to bulk up a bit, but at the same time he had such speed, agility and balance, and a hell of a left foot. Wilson should have been getting the game time Falcao was gifted last season.

mav_9me

At the end of the day a squad position has opened up. Who knows if it will go to Perreira or Wilson or who will grab their chance.

ZDwyr

Wilson has impressed me at reserve level more than Welbeck and even Will Keane. I'm convinced he can make it here, and I can't see how reports of LvG not rating him are true. True, he needs to bulk up a bit, but at the same time he had such speed, agility and balance, and a hell of a left foot. Wilson should have been getting the game time Falcao was gifted last season.
He started him against Liverpool at home last year I think. Would be a strange thing to do if he didn't rate him. Though he has definitely fallen away a bit this season it seems, who who really knows.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He started him against Liverpool at home last year I think. Would be a strange thing to do if he didn't rate him. Though he has definitely fallen away a bit this season it seems, who who really knows.
Exactly, also came on and finished the game off at QPR, which we were lacking all season. Usually we'd sit at 1-0 and shit our pants for the next half an hour. I'm pretty sure he does rate him.

JoaquinJoaquin

At the end of the day a squad position has opened up. Who knows if it will go to Perreira or Wilson or who will grab their chance.
The only thing I'm really taking from the fact we moved Januzaj etc is that hopefully that will open the door for Pereira in some capacity. Wilson will get chances this year now to, although I'm still not sure about him at the top level just yet.

Trizy

I wouldn't be surprised if he got less game time now more than ever with the new formation, with that being 1 striking spot my guess is he is last in the pecking order.

We should loan him out next season if we get in a new striker, he's potential is frightening.

Decotron

His development was a bit weird to me past year. He stagnated a lot and he had decent number of chances to prove himself. He failed to do that, always looked like he can last only 40mins or so... big problem is also his holdup play being below average, his aerial abilities are poor too. So yeah maybe use him as a wide forward
Disagree completely. I was disappointed that he didn't manage to show his true colours in the first team but he's had a really tough 12months with injuries. Hopefully when he stops growing we'll see a lot of the niggily injuries that have plagued him disappear.

His hold up play and aerial ability are both fine imo as well.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
When does the emergency loan window close? , it would be just madness to loan him to a Championship club but we seem to like a bit of madness. Just checked and it actually opens tomorrow and will close in November, really hope we don't send him out on loan or there will be a lot of Fellaini upfront this season.

Last edited:

m1y2

Disagree completely. I was disappointed that he didn't manage to show his true colours in the first team but he's had a really tough 12months with injuries. Hopefully when he stops growing we'll see a lot of the niggily injuries that have plagued him disappear.

His hold up play and aerial ability are both fine imo as well.
He was fine with injuries last year but needs to grow up from it, you're right.. I'm personally worried about his ankles.

And his hold up play and aerial ability are defo his biggest weaknesses, he himself stated it in an interview but you can really tell from watching him play it's just hardly enough for top tier football, for his holdup play it's crucial to cover the ball better but it will come with time, he' very easy pushed from the ball. I'd say that for example Januzaj's hold up play is better than Wilson's and he's not striker.. as for the aerial ability, never seen a striker mistiming so many jumps but he's learning..

DWelbz19

When does the emergency loan window close? , it would be just madness to loan him to a Championship club but we seem to like a bit of madness. Just checked and it actually opens tomorrow and will close in November, really hope we don't send him out on loan or there will be a lot of Fellaini upfront this season.
He's also got Martial as competition now too. I sure hope he doesn't go out on loan to the Championship.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
fecking brilliant, let's send all our young players on loan and sell all the old strikers.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Leaves us with Rooney and Martial for the #9 and that's it? Is he taking the piss or what the feck?

At least it somewhat confirms that Martial will play #9.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think it makes sense. I think he'll develop far more with regular games. That is, provided we don't send him somewhere he won't play.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am all for getting good loans for the kids but then we should have kept Chicharito as backup. We have one striker right now who hasn't played well at the start of the season and he has zero competition in the squad for his place. Martial is also a kid who has never played in this league and has completed 90 minutes in only 9 games in his career. The recall option only provides security in case of long term absence but if Rooney gets injured in training on Thursday Friday then we have nothing. All this sadly points to the fact that he will have Fellaini as a striker and we will just lump it to him at the end of games.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
When was he really going to play if everybody is fit? He'd perhaps make the squad every once in a while and get a couple of cup games. Perhaps it is better to give him regular playing time at this point. If a spot opens up for him (due to injury) he'll be recalled.

Zoo

Wilson needs regular senior football now and we have the recall option. Rooney, Fellaini, Memphis and Martial would all be ahead of him currently in the eyes of Van Gaal for the striker position.

Nickosaur

If he's not going there to start every fecking game it's a waste of time.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Wilson is a proper goal scorer and I was hoping to see him on the bench as an option to change games. I get that there is a need to move on from Saf but having grown up in an era where the best plan when we trailed was to throw all the strikers on to now those last 20 minutes at Swansea(with Fellaini and Carrick coming on) makes me feel pathetic

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He definitely needs game time so Derby or Hull would be fine as long as he plays.

DWelbz19

Wasn't there solid interest from PL teams just a couple days before deadline day? Derby hardly seems like a solid, stable club to loan to.

Asger

Wasn't there solid interest from PL teams just a couple days before deadline day? Derby hardly seems like a solid, stable club to loan to.
Yeah but you can't recall them anytime like when you loan players to Championship. I guess Wilson will only be loaned for 1-2 months.. Hopefully he will bang in goals and then be back sooner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.