Jamie Carragher: "Manchester United remind me of Liverpool over the past 30 years"

AFC NimbleThumb

We’re living in their heads rent free & this team has a number of levels to improve yet. Victory will be sweet when it comes.

Liverpool need to concentrate on themselves; they’ve won 2 trophies in 2 seasons [the big ones of course] but dominant teams win trophies in multiples, we’re just potential currently.

Stretender

It must be painfully frustrating for him and supporters of other teams. In a season when Liverpool have won the league after more than 30 years and United are fifth, the media is more interested in young Mason Greenwood, Bruno and Manchester United. Carragher is not enjoying Liverpool's title triumph because he knows it will be shortlived. To be fair to him from what I observe, Manchester United seems to live rent free in the heads of other teams supporters. I work and sit next to a Man City fan and even when City were winning, all he talks about is Manchester United.

EwanI Ted

At one level there's some truth in his article - the last step is the hardest. As optimistic as I am for next season, there's still a lot of work to do to actually win it. However if Carragher thinks that Liverpool's squads under Houllier and Benitez were comparable to United's of those eras, then he is seriously deluded.

When Houllier finished 2nd in 01-02, his squad was big and well balanced, but very few of those players were as good as either United or Arsenal's first teams of that era and most were far behind. When Benitez finished 2nd in 08-09 he had a really strong spine - Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard & Torres - but he had to fill out the first team and squad with mediocre players like Benayoun, Riera, Arbeloa, Aurelio and so on. Liverpool fans might argue that Torres was the best striker in the league back then, but no-one would argue that Torres, Robbie Keane, Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel were even close to Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov.

When SAF started a season with a level playing field in terms of personnel - as he did vs Arsenal, then later Chelsea, then later City - the seasons were actually very close. SAF usually edged them, but those other teams won titles too during their periods. But at no point did Liverpool go into a season back then with the best squad, whatever hyperbole Liverpool fans might have spouted at the time.

superdry

touched by a genius
He's a foul mouthed terribly bad mannered Liverpool chav. I despise him to the point of refusal to even read his opinion.

E-mal

I actually refused to read the article yesterday as I believed Jamie just wants to be a party pooper. After reading it this morning my opinion hasnt changed. We are not even talking about the title yet, lets be a constant top4 team and then take it from there. We have a lot of good players coming through and adding Sancho anda player like Upemacano will ensure we have a crop of very quality players at a good age.

My only doubt is in the ability of Ole to inspire us to a title tactically.

Maticmaker

Carragher lining up his ducks, to have a pop at Gary, maybe, or perhaps 'carpe diem' etc. Liverpool back on their perch and chirping loudly. Its up to us to rattle their cage again.

Ole needs to pin Carragher's article up on the dressing room door.

adamwest

not even thinking about a title yet, just happy im watching a team who are allowed to attack and believe they can now win matches without a smash and grab. And maybe start looking like a respectable champions league team again instead of the weak confused shell of what we used to be.
Agreed with on this one

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's amazing how he still gets paid for his shitty opinions after spitting at a 14 y.o girl.

rotherham_red

It's a pointless and redundant article tbh. Any sane utd fan is targeting the season after next, for a proper title push. By that point, Pogba, Maguire, Martial and Bruno will be in their primes. Rashford on the cusp of it, hopefully Sancho as well and of course, Greenwood.

What I'm looking for next season is continued growth. Be in the title conversation until March/April, maybe pick up the cups (at the very least semis), if we get to the CL then ideally we get to the QF stage, but above all, I want us to build on and continue our style of play that we have right now.

Shark

@NotShark
Carragher is a moron and deluded. This Liverpool side doesn't come even remotely close to the greatest United sides that were winning back to back titles and truly dominated. They were comparing shithouses like Babel to Ronaldo back then. They always had the best team in the league la.

You look at our starting eleven and Liverpool's and not only United fans but rival fans around the country will tell you we aren’t far off them. We're clearly not a team reliant on just two individuals either as they were with Torres and Gerrard.

GiddyUp

Same bullshit spewing like the scummy supporters of that scummy club. The title is what it is but that doesn't satisfy them. They want to go around "owning" other supporters. It's why some of their fans thought it would be just cool to drive around shouting at thin air outside empty stadiums.
Read any article or comment that criticizes them, highlights their hypocrisy or actually uses context and the comment sections are awash with these, people, shouting and screaming because they didn't get their little balls rubbed by the football supporting public who in the grand scheme don't think they are all that.
Caragher has some fecking cheek and a very short fecking memory. With other clubs getting their shit together these cnuts will be in for a rude awakening, especially if they don't pad up their squad.

clarkydaz

It must be painfully frustrating for him and supporters of other teams. In a season when Liverpool have won the league after more than 30 years and United are fifth, the media is more interested in young Mason Greenwood, Bruno and Manchester United. Carragher is not enjoying Liverpool's title triumph because he knows it will be shortlived. To be fair to him from what I observe, Manchester United seems to live rent free in the heads of other teams supporters. I work and sit next to a Man City fan and even when City were winning, all he talks about is Manchester United.
Good point. I looked at rawk day after the game and there was 4 pages of debate after a comfy win at Villa. They wanted this moment to be unbearable but its passed everyone by with a whimper

NoneBmStore

The only ones postulating that United can win the league next year are liverpool fans saying there United fans saying we can win , so they can call us 'the new them'
Leave them alone, dont say stupid shit and enjoy the ride

Witchking

This is true. Every post I read more are hyping the team to unrealistic levels.

The team is far from challenging for the title or go deep in the champions League if we get there.

This team right now needs settling down. A fixed 11 and decent backup.

United will not be ready for the next couple of years at the very least as City and Liverpool have set the bar very high.

We are not there yet but will get there if we get decent backup and offload players we do not want and players like martial and greenwood grow more and more.

We do look like how Liverpool used to. The forum is also behaving similarly getting giddy about next year is our year attitude except this forum is much more open for discussions target than a one way street.

Strelok

We do look like how Liverpool used to. The forum is also behaving similarly getting giddy about next year is our year attitude except this forum is much more open for discussions target than a one way street.
Nah we don't. And getting giddy about next year after the recent performances and how our attack look currently is very different with thinking we can win the title next season. We're not that deluded.

mav_9me

This is true. Every post I read more are hyping the team to unrealistic levels.

The team is far from challenging for the title or go deep in the champions League if we get there.

This team right now needs settling down. A fixed 11 and decent backup.

United will not be ready for the next couple of years at the very least as City and Liverpool have set the bar very high.

We are not there yet but will get there if we get decent backup and offload players we do not want and players like martial and greenwood grow more and more.

On this forum? I haven't read a single post like that. Maybe there are a couple. Can you show me where they are saying we will win title next year? Thanks.

Pav1878

not even thinking about a title yet, just happy im watching a team who are allowed to attack and believe they can now win matches without a smash and grab. And maybe start looking like a respectable champions league team again instead of the weak confused shell of what we used to be.
Exactly my thoughts. Let's just enjoy watching our team again and aim to be a solid top four/CL club again and see where it goes from there.

I fear the more we hype the team or put pressure on the situation, the less chance we have of winning the league again. That is what that lot did for 30 years. They were just too desperate to win it and put too much pressure on it.

van Persie

Why is he even relevant on here? Guy is a bonafied loser and failed in his role, both for England and Liverpool. Overrated just like he is for a pundit.

I'm sure he's feeling great that he failed to win that title for the scousers

Jaxa

I never understand why people create these threads about an article that is behind a pay wall when the majority of us can't read it :houllier:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Really, some Liverpool fans are pathetic. They win the league after an eternity in football terms and all they can think of is trying to rub it in.

Meanwhile, we're nowhere near a league title and still come out having the moral high ground here somewhat. Only Liverpool fans can banter themselves in a season where they've preposterously dominant.

As for Carragher seeing as 'new' Liverpool - we've got 23 years till that point and they need about 10 league titles in that period for a valid comparison.

SAFMUTD

I didnt read it, but feck Carragher and whatever the feck he says.

Shiva87

Carragher lining up his ducks, to have a pop at Gary, maybe, or perhaps 'carpe diem' etc. Liverpool back on their perch and chirping loudly. Its up to us to rattle their cage again.

Ole needs to pin Carragher's article up on the dressing room door.
With his level of dislike for Liverpool, I will be surprised if he hasn't saved this article to paste on the door at the right time!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some months ago and even before that Carragher said it's not as worse as it looks. One good player will change the entire atmosphere at the club like Liverpool had with Suarez and then Salah. Neville went on a rant on how we have to change almost entire team. So Carragher was sort of correct, we looked completely different team with one awesome signing (Bruno). Obviously we aren't not at the level where we want to be, but the general mood at the club has changed completely.

I have no idea what Carragher wrote in his article btw, wouldn't waste much time reading this thoughts.

DarkChild™

Jamie Carragher can do one! No time for scousers opinions on United. They and the scouse heavy media been attacking our best players and poisoning our fan base for years since sir Alex retired imo.

yan man utd

Jamie Carragher can get fecked. This United team, whilst not being near one of our best, would spank 99% of the Liverpool teams of the past 30 years.

Shame he never won the title himself and they don't give trophies for spitting in children's faces Jamie.
classic!

I can’t remember our ex players talking about Liverpool when we won the league again after 26 years.
I actually generally respect what he says but he has shown his true cards which is disappointing- then again Gary sells us down the river sometimes too.
It’s annoying that 2 ex players can hold such sway on us. We need to remember that despite being ex players are pundits who’s careers depend on opinion and I take it all with a pinch of salt.

It’s 2020. Liverpool with a workman like bunch of marathon runners have outrun the rest of an unusually underperforming set of competitors. Liverpool simply wanted it more... how wouldn’t they? I find it amazing how they get applauded when they have a midfield that you would expect from a club in Sheffield..
Let’s face it - would you buy any of that midfield- klopp turns tu*ds into something else.
Have no idea how he does it but let us not be deluded.

it’s a honeymoon for Liverpool
And from the start of next season- I promise you it’s over

RUCK4444

classic!

I can’t remember our ex players talking about Liverpool when we won the league again after 26 years.
I actually generally respect what he says but he has shown his true cards which is disappointing- then again Gary sells us down the river sometimes too.
It’s annoying that 2 ex players can hold such sway on us. We need to remember that despite being ex players are pundits who’s careers depend on opinion and I take it all with a pinch of salt.

It’s 2020. Liverpool with a workman like bunch of marathon runners have outrun the rest of an unusually underperforming set of competitors. Liverpool simply wanted it more... how wouldn’t they? I find it amazing how they get applauded when they have a midfield that you would expect from a club in Sheffield..
Let’s face it - would you buy any of that midfield- klopp turns tu*ds into something else.
Have no idea how he does it but let us not be deluded.

it’s a honeymoon for Liverpool
And from the start of next season- I promise you it’s over
Yeah totally agree, I don’t place much interest in what Jamie or Gary say. They are decent pundits for the most part and then go and embarrass themselves at times. Just found this one cheeky from Jamie but then it’s totally what I expected prior to them winning.

No class and still obsessed with us. Meanwhile we have been by far the most classy club throughout COVID-19 and imo he’s just looking for a reaction from us.

Regarding Klopp, totally agree. I’ve said for years that he must have been a professional turd polisher in a past life.
Without him turning the likes of Henderson into league winners they would be nowhere. I still don’t know how he’s done it in fairness to him.

Superunknown

I can't read the entire article because it's stuck behind a paywall, but there is sense to what he is saying, although nothing that we didn't know already.

Is the worst behind us? Potentially, yes. But only if we keep playing well, keep adding quality to the squad and keep our important players. Plus, you always need to be lucky with injuries. We haven't had to worry too much about suspensions, but that's another thing, too.

The tagline about us being "not far away, but not good enough yet" is pretty much the gist of things. The only reason this article might annoy people is because it's about a Liverpool ex-pro-turned-pundit, and that the underlying message is that we have swapped places for Liverpool, if only for a short while. Not sure I fully agree with that, but there are elements of truth there. Fergie's United team dominated for such a long time and saw off various challenges along the way. This Liverpool team has a long way to go before they emulate that. Even though we've not been winning leagues, we have still been competing for trophies and are still there. I do agree that we aren't that far away, but in terms of emulating the success that we had in the past and being able to do it repeatedly over a number of seasons as we have done, I think we are quite some way off that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What's the gist of it lads? Apart from what little I read on page 1.
The gist is Carragher is saying we're where Liverpool were in their barren period - as a negative.

But i think we're actually where they were a couple of years ago - the attack now looks quality and we just need to piece in a couple of game changing transfers to turn the team into "very" good.