Jamie Carragher on Mourinho

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mourinho would make United look desperate - Carragher

Football

Posted at09:31
Appointing Jose Mourinho as manager would be a "desperate" move for Manchester United, says former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher.

With boss Louis van Gaal on the ropes, sacked Chelsea coach Mourinho has been mentioned as a possible replacement at Old Trafford.

But Carragher said on Sky Sports: "Bringing young players through, no, he doesn't tick that box. Exciting football, cut-throat football, going for every game? No, he doesn't tick that box either.

"If that is someone that they go for, they are going to forget some of the principles that have made the club what is has been over the last 50, 60 years and they're that desperate to get back to winning trophies."

BBC Sport

Does he have a point? Notice he doesn't provide a credible alternative

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Mourinho would make United look desperate - Carragher

Football

Posted at09:31
Appointing Jose Mourinho as manager would be a "desperate" move for Manchester United, says former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher.

With boss Louis van Gaal on the ropes, sacked Chelsea coach Mourinho has been mentioned as a possible replacement at Old Trafford.

But Carragher said on Sky Sports: "Bringing young players through, no, he doesn't tick that box. Exciting football, cut-throat football, going for every game? No, he doesn't tick that box either.

"If that is someone that they go for, they are going to forget some of the principles that have made the club what is has been over the last 50, 60 years and they're that desperate to get back to winning trophies."

BBC Sport

Does he have a point? Notice he doesn't provide a credible alternative

I certainly am! So bring in Mourinho or whoever can help achieve that. Isn't what ultimately what football is about?!

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
It's not a great look but I wonder if he'd say the same if Liverpool were linked to him under similar circumstances. One suspects absolutely not.

Von Mistelroum

Mourinho seems to genuinely really want to be our manager and did appear to be hoping for that for a long time, of course, I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that it is and, if so, I suspect that he'd be more than happy to put the passion back into our play and that's the main thing I'm looking for. I reckon we'd see a much happier and more focused Mourinho if he came here, and one who would be looking at the long term too. I'm probably looking at it through United-tinted glasses, but I just have the feeling, and have for a long time, that he's desperate to be our manager and try to replicate what SAF did. Whether he could acheive this, who could say? But opposition fans would hate him like they hated Sir Alex if he could come close.

Thisistheone

He's shitting it. Desperate for us to appoint Giggs instead of a serial winner.

bubbles_

Jamie Carragher trying to get Giggs the job. I wonder why an ex-Liverpool player would do that?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Completely agree and basically said the same thing on here yesterday.

Skills

Snitch
He's an idiot. We're the trophy winning institute of English football, of course we're fecking desperate to get back to winning them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree with some of his thoughts around youth and type of football.

However, I cannot stand to watch such a passionless United side anymore and that's one thing that Mourinho injects.

The other 2 things I'm sure could be worked on

Mister_Stubbs

I don't get all these ex players who say Jose is the best manager around and shouldn't have been sacked by Chelsea but yet we'd look desperate in hiring him. They all know what he'd bring to us should we get him.

The-Natural

I agree with him totally. Disturbed at how obsessed so many united fans seems to be with winning. If you need to know the ending before it even starts go watch a bond movie instead because that is the antithesis of what being a football fan is about.

The post-ferguson era is our chance to show that being a united fan was and is always more than just trophies.

Carragher is bang-on and I couldn't care less if that makes me sound over idealistic and romantic.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Exciting football, cut-throat football, going for every game? No, he doesn't tick that box either.

"If that is someone that they go for, they are going to forget some of the principles that have made the club what is has been over the last 50, 60 years and they're that desperate to get back to winning trophies
How should we be worried about forgetting such things when Mou comes in when we haven't seen such thing for the last 3 seasons?

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I certainly am! So bring in Mourinho or whoever can help achieve that. Isn't what ultimately what football is about?!
Short sighted

Carragher is right

Marry in haste and repent at leisure

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A point well made.
All teams are desperate for success and there is nothing wrong with that.
Winning is the aim of the game. Isn't it?

The problem with LFC is that they have gone from year to year not winning the league and this has become a habit. I don't want MUFC to fall into that (losing) habit. The longer we don't win the league, the more difficult it will become. Success breeds success.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho seems to genuinely really want to be our manager and did appear to be hoping for that for a long time, of course, I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that it is and, if so, I suspect that he'd be more than happy to put the passion back into our play and that's the main thing I'm looking for. I reckon we'd see a much happier and more focused Mourinho if he came here, and one who would be looking at the long term too. I'm probably looking at it through United-tinted glasses, but I just have the feeling, and have for a long time, that he's desperate to be our manager and try to replicate what SAF did. Whether he could acheive this, who could say? But opposition fans would hate him like they hated Sir Alex if he could come close.
He won't change for United. He will talk nice but will continue being the same. You're no different to any club in his eyes and are only there to sooth his ego. If United are okay with that then sign him up.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Were Chelsea overly negative last season?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Never wanted Jose at United but sadly I am now resigned to the fact that this is going to happen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's one thing to want Mourinho but it's another to pretend the negatives he always brings will suddenly disappear once he arrives here.

Lets be clear: Mourinho will behave terribly, Mourinho will play conservative football, Mourinho will park the bus against better teams, Mourinho will largely forget our youth system.

If you're happy to trade that stuff off for a good chance of winning things then fair enough, Mourinho is the guy you want. Hardly surprising that other people are reluctant to bring him into the club though.

If anything Carragher is underplaying the downside to a Mourinho appointment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's right to some extent. And why I feel we should move heaven and earth for Guardiola. However, he'd be one of the first people to be telling us we've done a Liverpool after x number of years of not winning anything.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
What a load of shit. 10,000 posts in the LVG out say that fans prefer winning than playing youth players and 'sticking to principles.'

Again, I'd still like LVG to stay until the end of the season BUT Mourinho is one of two managers in the world that you must make room for.

Zoo

Bringing youngsters through is the biggest concern over Mourinho I think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Gaurdian says the club has the same worries. It's not the negative football I'm worried about because I feel that's exaggerated. It's the fact that he just doesn't use youth players.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I've come to the conclusion the state of football with its win at all costs environment means top managers are reluctant to introduce youth for fear of failure. With so much money in football, managers at top clubs generally just go out and buy at top clubs. The youth players really need to be special or wait until they're good enough for top teams. Same goes for expansive attacking football. Most coaches are taking minimal risks, again for fear of failure.

We need a manager who's coaching is respected by top players. Although not my favourite pick, Mourinho is up there at the very top with the type of CV the players would hardly have reasons to question his methods.

The days when Sir Matt and Alex introduced so many players from our youth system are unfortunately over.

NotQuiteManc

A setup by Mourinho to make Chelsea so bad, that the board sacked him and now he has his chance to manage United, while LvG having a bad run himself? Can't be that perfect of a plan, can it?

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
He's scared. Mourinho is trophy winning machine. He is a serial winner and has won trophies at every club.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What's the point in introducing youth players just for the sake of it? Our focus should be on actually improving their quality as we seem to have slipped behind a few setups lately in that regard. If they are good enough then they should play, but at present, they're not not matter who the manager is.

cyberman

Depends if you believe that he has been desperate for the job or not. If so then he would be more mindful of what the club is about, I mean there must be a reason he has coveted the job for so long in the first place.
Also he wouldn't have to answer to so many yes men at United. There's been too many reports of signings being thrown upon him without any input and ignoring the players he himself recommended. They royally messed up the Stones deal and completely blanked his requests to move for Pogba and Koke.
It's not as if Jose didn't see a lesser season coming and refused some pre-emptive strikes to negate it from happening.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it but having Sir Alex at the club could be a calming influence on Jose, I'd go as far as moving LVG upstairs to oversee the youth system and have both of his closest friends in football at the club if he needs him.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Were Chelsea overly negative last season?
Second half we were. Also, most games against top teams, regardless of their form he would not go out with attacking intent. First half was brilliant though and we played some great football.

His first season was the most boring I have seen Chelsea ever. That includes Avram Grant. His football style has gotten a lot worse and defensive as he has gotten older and has been beaten more.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I agree with him totally. Disturbed at how obsessed so many united fans seems to be with winning. If you need to know the ending before it even starts go watch a bond movie instead because that is the antithesis of what being a football fan is about.

The post-ferguson era is our chance to show that being a united fan was and is always more than just trophies.

Carragher is bang-on and I couldn't care less if that makes me sound over idealistic and romantic.
i am caught between this mentality and being shit scared of becoming Liverpool andd living in the past.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Depends if you believe that he has been desperate for the job or not. If so then he would be more mindful of what the club is about, I mean there must be a reason he has coveted the job for so long in the first place.
Also he wouldn't have to answer to so many yes men at United. There's been too many reports of signings being thrown upon him without any input and ignoring the players he himself recommended. They royally messed up the Stones deal and completely blanked his requests to move for Pogba and Koke.
It's not as if Jose didn't see a lesser season coming and refused some pre-emptive strikes to negate it from happening.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it but having Sir Alex at the club could be a calming influence on Jose, I'd go as far as moving LVG upstairs to oversee the youth system and have both of his closest friends in football at the club if he needs him.
Actually, we did go in for all his reported targets. We agreed a €60m fee with Atletico for Koke but he outright rejected any contract negotiations and wanted to stay at Atletico. There is only so much a club can do there. We were also looking at £50m+ deals for Pogba on the last day which was outright rejected and set us back. Sure, they were desperate attempts but we were never going to afford him. Stones we ended up offering £40m and Everton rejected. We probably could have gotten Stones if we offered 35-40m earlier and didn't piss them off by dragging our heels but that's what happens some times. Griezmann is the only target we could have bought but refused due to the price tag. We fecked up there.

Honestly speaking, Mourinho only had signings forced on him the last two transfer windows and they weren't even major signings. The three before that he had complete control over first team signings.

iKeano

I think he's got a fair point. I'm not sold on Mourinho and other than going all guns blazing, Pep or bust, I'm not sure what the alternative is. I think it would be suicide to go for Giggs at this point without him proving himself elsewhere and taking the learning speed bumps at a lower league club where he will have time to learn and adjust. Utd isn't a place to learn and adjust, it's a place to be and win.

Like Carragher, I can't offer an alternative, but then again I'm not paid top dollar by the club to have an input or opinion - that's the boards job and since Fergie they've made one massive mistake and one unlucky appointment.
Whether it's Mourinho or not, all I know is we can't and aren't moving forward with LVG. It's brakes full on, or backwards from here.

Needham

Managerial stability is overrated. The likelihood of any of the very best managers staying at one club for more than five years is remote. (Guardiola will do no more than three or four years before he takes over Brazil.) So exactly what damage could Mourinho do to Manchester United anyway? Strip the lead from the stand roofs and turn the boardroom into a knocking shop? Carragher talks about fifty years of Utd success as if he wants to see another fifty. He doesn't. If Moyes and Van Gaal were worth a punt, Mourinho is.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Actually agree with that scouse clownbox for once. Made up my mind on Mourinho a long time ago, it's a good measure of the man that he'll blame anyone and everyone for his own failings, UEFA conspiracy, UNICEF:lol:, FA vendetta against him, every referee that gives a decision against Chelsea and ultimately his own staff, physio, players..

Now Fergie knew how to be a d*ck when he had to, putting pressure on refs before big games, or drawing a lot of attention to a big decision that impacted a result negatively, no harm in dragging their name into the media sometimes, might make that official think twice before coming to our patch and acting like that again. However I can never imagine him publicly accusing his team of betraying him in a last bid to keep his job.

Think Mourinho has pretty much burned his bridges in English football after we all witnessed his gradual descent into madness this season. He looked a broken man by the end, he should take some time off, still being paid by Chelsea, maybe take over the Portuguese national side where he'd have less issues weighing him down, prob best for his own health.

R'hllor

Notion that without managers like JM,we wont be able to win things,turning into Liverpool and what not is such a nonsense imo. I believe if you know what you want,you can place a build up through whole structure of the club,make it that all levels are synced and pushing in same direction.Then you just add and build up on that idea,it might not give you trophies in first 3 years but if you do a proper work and make right decisions, after you will get rewards in winning things.