Jamie Carragher on Mourinho

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea have had no more good youth players than Ferguson let go during his time (e.g. Rossi, Pique).

It's such a bullshit argument and has no basis in the reality of top clubs. Even fecking Liverpool stick to tried and tested players 99% of the time (and we've all heard for years how 'great' their youth players have been).

Bar the class of 92', Ferguson brought through feck all quality and in many ways it hindered United in his later years having to play shite like Tom Cleverly instead of buying some genuine talent.
Brown, Oshea, Evans and Fletcher didn't contribute to our success over the last decade?

Also it's about giving young players in general a chance. Mourinho of the last decade wouldn't have had patience with young Ronaldo and Rooney through their inconsistencies.

ravi2

Mourinho loves to be loved. If he came to United, he'd promote youth a lot more than he has done anywhere else. He'd do it just for the adulation.

My worry would be his 3 year best before date. Has he learned from his past mistakes or is he doomed to repeat them?

I'd rather have Giggs, but if Mourinho can avoid rubbing people up the wrong way, I wouldn't mind him coming in. My fear is that he might leave us in a terrible state afterwards like he did with Inter. His short term thinking got them a treble, but his sudden departure left them with a squad that went into sharp decline as soon as he left. If that cycle gets repeated, we'd have 3 years of success, followed by another 3 or 4 years of rebuilding. I don't personally want that. It's why a steady presence is always my preference.
Please not Giggs.

Devil may care

It's one thing to want Mourinho but it's another to pretend the negatives he always brings will suddenly disappear once he arrives here.

Lets be clear: Mourinho will behave terribly, Mourinho will play conservative football, Mourinho will park the bus against better teams, Mourinho will largely forget our youth system.

If you're happy to trade that stuff off for a good chance of winning things then fair enough, Mourinho is the guy you want. Hardly surprising that other people are reluctant to bring him into the club though.

If anything Carragher is underplaying the downside to a Mourinho appointment.
I would hope he could change some of those negatives here but I agree that it's not a thrilling prospect in terms of the concerns. The thing is our current manager only ticks one box on Carraghers list and that's playing kids, his football is dreadful and he's not winning, in fact his record over the last 15 years is nothing special when it comes to trophies.

I have been vehemently against getting Jose in but the cold reality is that we have missed 2 of the 3 remaining candidates for sure and will likely miss out on Pep as well and our currenr manager is sucking the life out of the team with each passing game, so where do we go? Giggs? Martinez? Pochettino? Some random choice from Europe? It's pretty bleak in terms of suitable options.

Dante

Average bang
Please not Giggs.
Yeah. We need someone who can win the Dutch league with a team like AZ Alkmaar, right?

Giggs knows all of LvG's tricks now. He'll keep the best of what he's learned (defensive organisation) but add his own ideas as well. He's too young to be stubborn about it, which seems to be the reason van Gaal lost the dressing room.

predator

Youth NITK
Desperation? The same desperation Madrid had to sign Ronaldo in 2009? Desperation is what makes football so entertaining. It's not a social network.

Dante

Average bang
It's interesting that the two best managers in the game right now are Mourinho and Guardiola... both of whom credit their management styles to LvG. It's even more interesting that all of them seem to implode within three years of taking over at a club. If Giggs can sprinkle a bit of Fergie fairy dust over the club to stop that from happening, we'll be golden.

Sam

Desperate to have a top manager again, and win trophies again?...Thats not desperation, its called ambition.

The longer we go on without a trophy, the harder things will get. We need our first post Fergie trophy asap, and the best man to deliver that is Jose. Even if its only short term, thats what football is these days. People need to accept it, and get used to it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I bet there were plenty of scousers saying United were right to sack the Doc too...

Carragher was one of the biggest backers of Moyes at United, that tells you all you need to know. If you critique Jose's football how can you back Moyes'? Makes no sense if the motive is anything other than hurting United.

Jose is a winner, who has done it in England. The last thing 'Carra' is going to want is Mou at United. Forget what Carragher says. Jose is a must get now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's correct about Mourinho, but the truth is that we are desperate, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

ravi2

Yeah. We need someone who can win the Dutch league with a team like AZ Alkmaar, right?

Giggs knows all of LvG's tricks now. He'll keep the best of what he's learned (defensive organisation) but add his own ideas as well. He's too young to be stubborn about it, which seems to be the reason van Gaal lost the dressing room.
It's interesting that the two best managers in the game right now are Mourinho and Guardiola... both of whom credit their management styles to LvG. It's even more interesting that all of them seem to implode within three years of taking over at a club. If Giggs can sprinkle a bit of Fergie fairy dust over the club to stop that from happening, we'll be golden.
Yes "if" giggs can do it, and that is a big if.
Id rather bring in Jose for a few years and let giggs learn under him.

I believe LVG to be as good as gone and the club made a mistake not hiring Jose after Moyes and I hope the club doesn't make a mistake like that again.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of Jose taking over nowadays, not least because I believe the man would be better off taking a break from the game. That said, Jose Mourinho at United has a certain inevitable feel to it, so with nearly unlimited fund I don't think the quality of football will be an issue. The style will be closer to Fergie's later years than 09-11 Barcelona, that's for sure. As for youth, you can't polish turds into gold. Jose can be patient if needed. He gave Balotelli his chances at Inter for a season before giving up on him, and none can blame him for that. We won't see the amount of youth players being blooded like LvG is doing now but you know what? I'd rather have us not having to resort to Nick Powell and Borthwick-Jackson to save our CL chances again.

Stretford End Phil

The problem is we will not have the pick of the top managers in the summer. van Gaal is too old in the tooth to change things around. He is not going to say he was wrong all this time and say he will have the team play attacking football and more importantly winning matches. He has simply not got it anymore.

Morinho is 52 and currently the best manager out there. I am willing to overlook his personality issues.
I know you're argument well by now and it's convincing. However, Jose hasn't convinced this season and Klopp lost my confidence last season. I think footy has changed since the last World Cup and it's all about player power. The top managers as was have not changed, whereas Ranieri has suddenly turned up. I think there is a significant change in progress and we need time to identify the best options to suit us. We can't go 3 managers expecting number 4 or 5 post-Fergie. The next manager has to be the right man.

I'm 100% sure that something happened behind the scene, the problems were visible for a long time and it was way before the Evagate, also at the exception of Gus Hiddink and Benitez all the managers had problems at Chelsea, there is something wrong within the board and the locker room.
The Chelski board is about a one man oligarch. I really don't see a legacy for all his expenditure and prominent player purchases after he has gone. They have institutionalised player power and it's become a disease this season. Their fans deserve better and English Football needs to restore some common sense before it becomes a joke.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I know you're argument well by now and it's convincing. However, Jose hasn't convinced this season and Klopp lost my confidence last season. I think footy has changed since the last World Cup and it's all about player power. The top managers as was have not changed, whereas Ranieri has suddenly turned up. I think there is a significant change in progress and we need time to identify the best options to suit us. We can't go 3 managers expecting number 4 or 5 post-Fergie. The next manager has to be the right man.

The Chelski board is about a one man oligarch. I really don't see a legacy for all his expenditure and prominent player purchases after he has gone. They have institutionalised player power and it's become a disease this season. Their fans deserve better and English Football needs to restore some common sense before it becomes a joke.
No. The Chelsea board is a group of people and majority vote wins.

Stretford End Phil

I bet there were plenty of scousers saying United were right to sack the Doc too...

Carragher was one of the biggest backers of Moyes at United, that tells you all you need to know. If you critique Jose's football how can you back Moyes'? Makes no sense if the motive is anything other than hurting United.

Jose is a winner, who has done it in England. The last thing 'Carra' is going to want is Mou at United. Forget what Carragher says. Jose is a must get now.
The old rule was always 'never trust a Scouse' hence why Hansen got ridiculed with his silly comments back in the day. The last Scouse who actually said anything honest about us was Shankly when he said how nice it was looking down on United. As a tribe they have no say thanks to Fergie - they don't have a perch to stand on!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would hope he could change some of those negatives here but I agree that it's not a thrilling prospect in terms of the concerns. The thing is our current manager only ticks one box on Carraghers list and that's playing kids, his football is dreadful and he's not winning, in fact his record over the last 15 years is nothing special when it comes to trophies.

I have been vehemently against getting Jose in but the cold reality is that we have missed 2 of the 3 remaining candidates for sure and will likely miss out on Pep as well and our currenr manager is sucking the life out of the team with each passing game, so where do we go? Giggs? Martinez? Pochettino? Some random choice from Europe? It's pretty bleak in terms of suitable options.
Aye, I think Mourinho might end up being the least worst option. Shame as I'd have taken any of Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti ahead of him without any hesitation.

The only other option I could think of is Simeone but he's hardly a perfect fit either. Beyond that and we're deep into B or C list managers...

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Phil.

There are 3 trophies available still to be won. Yet many are only hoping we get to 4th place in spite of what we are playing against. City/Arsenal/Lecister. None of them has me shaking in my boots.

How many do you realistically think van Gaal can win? imo None.

With Mourinho I am convinced we will win at least one. Maybe two. If all goes perfect all 3.

He will target the League, which is well within his capability.

The other two we have good chances in.

Unless there is a rough diamond of a football manager out there, we have to go with Jose. Honestly we are not going to see a Busby or Ferguson type long staying manager anymore in modern football. That is in our past.

Devil may care

Aye, I think Mourinho might end up being the least worst option. Shame as I'd have taken any of Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti ahead of him without any hesitation.

The only other option I could think of is Simeone but he's hardly a perfect fit either. Beyond that and we're deep into B or C list managers...
Definitely, those 3 were comfortably ahead of him, truth is he's a somewhat unexpected option due to the bizarre collapse at Chelsea, could turn out to be a perfect storm for him and us or we could both continue plummeting together.

I love Simeone's fire and the way his players play for him, but if the board are worried about style of football and antics then he carries the same concerns as Jose.

Red Dreams

the Doc leaving had nothing to do with football.

agree with the rest.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm 100% sure that something happened behind the scene, the problems were visible for a long time and it was way before the Evagate, also at the exception of Gus Hiddink and Benitez all the managers had problems at Chelsea, there is something wrong within the board and the locker room.
I agree about Chelsea being a problem club. However, there were a few articles last year about the administration having a policy which deliberately curbed the power of a manager - in short, to stop anyone becoming 'bigger than the club' in future. And even now, the public message from the Chelsea establishment is "It's not the players' fault". Abramovich has never been slow to scold the players about their assumption of power, so why is it different this time? Because it all points to problems caused by Mourinho's methods...

When those methods work, everyone's a winner; if they don't work, then all hell breaks loose as he desperately tries to salvage his reputation. I genuinely believe that he cares relatively little even about the clubs he's been highly successful with - in spite of the lip service he pays to his 'love' for Porto, Inter and Chelsea - as they're just staging posts on his road to being considered the best manager in history. My evidence?: everything from sprinting along touchlines (thus advertising his availablity to other, bigger clubs than Porto) to running players into the ground then leaving after success has been achieved to throwing medals to the crowd to the deliberate, public attempts to turn fans against players and hierarchy (as seen at Chelsea recently). In success, his message is "I'm responsible for for it"; in failure, "I'm responsible for none of it" - this is not a manager who cares about his clubs, and that sad conclusion should be self-evident no matter how keen some United fans are to gloss-over his poor, self-absorbed behaviour just because we're in a bad way.

There are so few sequels in Mourinho's career because he rarely waits around for failure to embarrass him, and because he hardly cares about the state of the clubs he leaves whether in triumph or chaos.

Red Dreams

Definitely, those 3 were comfortably ahead of him, truth is he's a somewhat unexpected option due to the bizarre collapse at Chelsea, could turn out to be a perfect storm for him and us or we could both continue plummeting together.

I love Simeone's fire and the way his players play for him, but if the board are worried about style of football and antics then he carries the same concerns as Jose.
I like Simeone too. But Mourinho's football is more aggressive. His football reminds me more of what the German national team play. like a machine. They get the job done. Not what we may be used to watching United...well under Fergie anyways.

Dante

Average bang
Yes "if" giggs can do it, and that is a big if.
Id rather bring in Jose for a few years and let giggs learn under him.

I believe LVG to be as good as gone and the club made a mistake not hiring Jose after Moyes and I hope the club doesn't make a mistake like that again.
He's already learned under LvG and Fergie.

I can't think of many other prospective managers who have ever been groomed for two and a half seasons. Least of all a living legend who can command instant respect before he even opens his mouth (cf. Moyes). He's ready.

SalfordRed1960

He's correct about Mourinho, but the truth is that we are desperate, and I don't see that as a bad thing.
If the board had concerns about Van Gaal earlier on, there were 2 excellent managers, who do not come with baggage, that were available. They are going to Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Everything that caftards seem to hate about Van Gaal, is the also applicable to Jose. I just do not get the love in for the guy. He is good at taking an established team to the next level, he is obviously not good at handling teams in a poor state, as no previous in building teams, he is also not the person who will bring entertaining football to United. Almost out of the frying pan into the fire.

I think it would be piss poor to get rid of LVG, sure the football is not entertaining yet, but are they really going to sack a manager who has yet to be proven incapable of meeting the goals he was set.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd have hated so much of Fergie's antics if I supported anyone else, he was hardly an angel, pretty much the exact opposite really, the stuff he'd say and get away with was amazing.

Djemba-Djemba

We are in a desperate position though that's the thing.

We've won one trophy in getting on for 5 seasons now, that isn't good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To be fair I was an avid KRAP fan (keep Rafa at pool)

Oneunited26

There is the saying, beggars cannot be choosers, and at the minute we have a lost hand in VG who is clueless in every way. And you know what winners do? they leave the table while they are up, and if the winning hand is Jose Mourinho, just take it I say. If Pep is not available, snap Mourinho before it is too late, because VG is a lost cause

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The problem with fans beeing desperate is that they will accept anything. But after a bit of progress and a few results, the desperation goes and the demands come, and they will not accept anything but the best and want the manager sacked. If the club comes in this cycle of desperation and demanding and keeps sacking managers, 7th will turn out to be a very good reflection of the state the club was in.

If the board had concerns about Van Gaal earlier on, there were 2 excellent managers, who do not come with baggage, that were available. They are going to Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Everything that caftards seem to hate about Van Gaal, is the also applicable to Jose.
And a lot they hated about Van Gaal, is also applicable to Pep, and even more.

I just do not get the love in for the guy. He is good at taking an established team to the next level, he is obviously not good at handling teams in a poor state, as no previous in building teams, he is also not the person who will bring entertaining football to United. Almost out of the frying pan into the fire.
And, he's probably over and done with. The magic has gone. This was a man who brought players a feeling of invincability, just trust him and he'll make you a winner. This, together with his mind games and putting pressure on referees and things like that, were a essential for his succes.

Now he has become his own charicature, and he has failed at two clubs and underperformed with excellent players. He will be looked at very differently by players when he's their new manager.

I think it would be piss poor to get rid of LVG, sure the football is not entertaining yet, but are they really going to sack a manager who has yet to be proven incapable of meeting the goals he was set.
I agree, but the issue is bigger than Van Gaal or not Van Gaal. The issue is that the club and therefore the fans, who are a big influence, should recognize the state the club was in and is in, and it's much worse than buying a couple of the best players the fans could think of and challinging for the CL again while taking the title for granted.

The fans behave like an ill patient who is getting out of bed to have a drink and celebrate he's cured because he's feeling a bit better. But with a condition as serious as it was, it will only make it worse. If Van Gaal isn't the right manager and another one is, he also will have to rebuild and have poor runs. With the fans acting like United is still among the best and demanding results and entertainment and the board listening to them, he will most likely fail to.

Last edited:

Gopher Brown

We would kiss goodbye to giving chances to youth if mourinho comes.
That may be preferable to throwing unprepared and unready youngsters in at the deep end. Does anyone think any of our 'youth' will go on to achieve greatness here except for Januzaj and Wilson?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yep. And although it's to be expected the lack of a shit people give about it as well has surprised me.
Why? have you seen this place over the summer? muppet overload, spend, spend, spend, youngsters be damned.

Edit and Carragher is right over Mourinho, its just the fact its coming from a Liverpool player than riles people, if it were coming from an ex-united player like Solskjaer or Schmeichel or whomever the same people would say they make a good point... me thinks.

Last edited:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
That may be preferable to throwing unprepared and unready youngsters in at the deep end. Does anyone think any of our 'youth' will go on to achieve greatness here except for Januzaj and Wilson?
Greatness? Or being a part of a succesfull squad? Wes Brown won a champions league medal and played the most minutes that season compared to everyone else but is he considered to have reached a level of greatness? Not for me. Players like McNair, Varela and Borthwick-Jackson might never become world class players but being thrown at the deep end isn't always a bad thing i don't think.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Greatness? Or being a part of a succesfull squad? Wes Brown won a champions league medal and played the most minutes that season compared to everyone else but is he considered to have reached a level of greatness? Not for me. Players like McNair, Varela and Borthwick-Jackson might never become world class players but being thrown at the deep end isn't always a bad thing i don't think.
Actually the former two are championship level

Gopher Brown

Wes Brown played 362 games over 14 years for us, winning 7 leagues and 2 European Cups. His achievements were great. He achieved greatness.

It's a fair point though. Paddy McNair might be the next JOS.

I don't see him nutmegging Figo any time soon though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mourinhos football is way more exciting then Van Gaals. Its way better then Moyes. Hell, under Fergie we played a similar style to Mourinho in Fergies latter years. Not quite as defensive in the big games, but other then that, not too much different.