Jan Oblak

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh yeah I change my mind. The lad is going to be like Van der sar or Buffon who dominated their box. :rolleyes: Instead he is going to keep jumping around with the same reflexes he always had :lol:
Yeah sure sure, that's all he has, great reflexes, nothing else. Once those are gone he'll barely be able to walk unaided. feck sake. :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Oblak like Dave, is a goal line keeper. I want us to move with the times.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oblak like Dave, is a goal line keeper. I want ua to move w8the the times.
This..

We need to broaden our horizons and go for a keeper that will suit us going forward in the modern game to keep up with the Allison's and Ederson's. We as a fan base seem to suffer from tunnel vision and can't seem to see past anyone that is valued at a world record sum.

I don't thing there's much in this story though which is a good thing for us imo.

dove

Onana is easily better in some departments. Would be a better fit in the modern game too in a team wanting to build play from the back.
Well, we are not playing this type of football and seeing Ole's comments and actions I am sure we will not. Our tactics are built on GK carrying us, so having one who can do that is quite important.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well, we are not playing this type of football and seeing Ole's comments and actions I am sure we will not. Our tactics are built on GK carrying us, so having one who can do that is quite important.
Well if you believe what Duncan Castles has said, then Solkjaer wants a sweeper keeper with ability on the ball to play out from the back. Onana is good at that, and is near enough unbeatable on 'one on ones' according to @Ajaxsuarez

Canagel

We don't need new GK. And not for 100m. Give the number 1 to Romero for one season while we reconstruct the rest of our team and see if we need change or not by next summer.

AaronRedDevil

People talking how we don’t need a new keeper and Romero to be given this season, need a reality check.
Romero made some amazing saves pretty often and very rarely screws up. Hell he helped out a lot during the Europa league. There's too many players that need to be bought this summer and gk is at the bottom of the list. I'm not saying he's the best, but if De Gea goes I'd feel safe with him in goal for a year. You never know, he might end up changing your mind.

Kostov

Romero made some amazing saves pretty often and very rarely screws up. Hell he helped out a lot during the Europa league. There's too many players that need to be bought this summer and gk is at the bottom of the list. I'm not saying he's the best, but if De Gea goes I'd feel safe with him in goal for a year. You never know, he might end up changing your mind.
Romero isn’t good enough and never will be. He made some feck ups along the way but he is clearly an excellent number 2 GK. If De Gea is to leave I’d rather we give Henderson a chance since he might turn out to be good enough in the long term.

Cloud7

Yeah sure sure, that's all he has, great reflexes, nothing else. Once those are gone he'll barely be able to walk unaided. feck sake. :lol:
What are his other top level goalkeeping qualities exactly? His reflexes are top notch, no doubt, probably the best I’ve ever seen, but what else does he have?

He’s not much of a leader or organizes the back line very well. He’s not a sweeper and stays on his line pretty much all the time. He’s not very physically dominant like Schmikes was.

I fail to see what the joke is. When his reflexes go he isn’t going to be a very good keeper, similar to what happened to Casillas.

Hal9000

Romero isn’t good enough and never will be. He made some feck ups along the way but he is clearly an excellent number 2 GK. If De Gea is to leave I’d rather we give Henderson a chance since he might turn out to be good enough in the long term.
Henderson, Alex Fojtíček and Matěj Kovář all have great potential. I'd rather have Romero, with a rotation of Grant, Fojtíček, Kovář as back up next season. Give Henderson a year in the PL with Sheffield United.

Kostov

Henderson, Alex Fojtíček and Matěj Kovář all have great potential. I'd rather have Romero, with a rotation of Grant, Fojtíček, Kovář as back up next season. Give Henderson a year in the PL with Sheffield United.
Nah, that would be ridiculous. If we are to lose De Gea and not bring in a replacement, Henderson should be here.

Mcking

This..

We need to broaden our horizons and go for a keeper that will suit us going forward in the modern game to keep up with the Allison's and Ederson's. We as a fan base seem to suffer from tunnel vision and can't seem to see past anyone that is valued at a world record sum.

I don't thing there's much in this story though which is a good thing for us imo.
Even Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have Leno, Lloris and Kepa, all who are pretty capable with their feet and comfortable off their line. But we will go all out and spend £100m on one to hoof the ball to Rashford and Lingard. I'm not suprised though seeing that we are signing players that struggle to play football, and going all out for defensive fullbacks. We really are being left behind.

izec

Think De Gea will go next season for free and Henderson will be back from his loan spell. Then maybe we will buy another keeper to compete with him or we trust him to be the number one.

I doubt we will go for Oblak this summer, because i think Dave would rather move next summer

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Even Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have Leno, Lloris and Kepa, all who are pretty capable with their feet and comfortable off their line. But we will go all out and spend £100m on one to hoof the ball to Rashford and Lingard. I'm not suprised though seeing that we are signing players that struggle to play football, and going all out for defensive fullbacks. We really are being left behind.
I agree, would be a really bad move to spend over a £100m on a goalkeeper who is one dimensional similar to the one we've currently got.

Duncan Castles reported our interest in Onana and Maignan and I hope he's correct. We need to modernise our game and our transfers need to reflect that.

JMack1234

Oblak is an elite level 'keeper who could come in and replace De Gea right away.

However, I like the idea of bringing in Onana and getting him and Henderson to battle it out for the no. 1 spot. It would show we're serious about going down the young and dynamic route.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What are his other top level goalkeeping qualities exactly? His reflexes are top notch, no doubt, probably the best I’ve ever seen, but what else does he have?

He’s not much of a leader or organizes the back line very well. He’s not a sweeper and stays on his line pretty much all the time. He’s not very physically dominant like Schmikes was.

I fail to see what the joke is. When his reflexes go he isn’t going to be a very good keeper, similar to what happened to Casillas.
His positioning is incredible, his handling is incredible, his recovery is incredible. Up until this season, he was the best keeper in the world. That doesn't happen with nothing more than reflexes. It's bizarre how fickle some fans are.

Wheato

You iz wrong, sucka! Ole's Molde team always played out from the back, utilizing the goalkeeper for distribution on the ground. That was his style of play. The boys on here are right, you have to move with the times and not have a goalie who hoofs the ball to nobody, because the opposition just come straight back at you. Sides like Liverpool and City who can break quickly, they will punish you for needlessly giving the ball away like that. A modern day goalie needs to be able to pick players out. And move the ball quickly.

Cliche Guevara

I couldn’t agree more.

RedDevil@84

Now even Jan Oblak is using us to get whatever he wants at his club where he signed a new contract just few months ago.

Axle17

Part of me is tired of reading about De Gea and his cries for more love.

The other part questions whether the requirement for a new GK is down to De Gea alone, or if things will only improve once our defense has been improved.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't know about 3 months, he was pretty poor most of last season and in the World Cup before that. Added to which he's held a metaphorical gun against the club's metaphorical head for years now. But yes, I appreciate he's been great for us until last season.
While he's held that metaphorical gun to the club's metaphorical head, the literal idiot Woodward has neglected to give him a new deal for a couple of years, whilst he's saved our metaphorical ass from more literal embarrassment.

Patrick08

We don't need new GK. And not for 100m. Give the number 1 to Romero for one season while we reconstruct the rest of our team and see if we need change or not by next summer.
He is 32.long term we do need one.

Flytan

He is 32.long term we do need one.
Our youth goalkeepers are constantly brought up as great players. Henderson I believe had an outstanding season. Romero as a stop gap while we take a chance at using our youth for a year is more than enough. Especially when there are glaring issues elsewhere.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
While he's held that metaphorical gun to the club's metaphorical head, the literal idiot Woodward has neglected to give him a new deal for a couple of years, whilst he's saved our metaphorical ass from more literal embarrassment.
A goalkeeper can't be paid that much. He's not gonna earn that anywhere else.

Cloud7

His positioning is incredible, his handling is incredible, his recovery is incredible. Up until this season, he was the best keeper in the world. That doesn't happen with nothing more than reflexes. It's bizarre how fickle some fans are.
His positioning is not incredible, and neither is is handling. His recovery is great, yes, but that goes hand in hand with his reflexes being extremely sharp.

Cloud7

A new deal has apparently been on the table for about two years now.

RedDevil@84

Not true about De Gea. We were ready to extend him for ages as per popular rumours.

vangagal

Yeah. Buy Oblak and start him in front of Smalling Jones and see him become a joke later on. When we will learn start to improve whats in front of GK first? Even Ter Stegen/Allison would struggle with Smalling Jones Bailly Lindelof or whoever we have.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Yeah. Buy Oblak and start him in front of Smalling Jones and see him become a joke later on. When we will learn start to improve whats in front of GK first? Even Ter Stegen/Allison would struggle with Smalling Jones Bailly Lindelof or whoever we have.
If you start him in front of Smalling and Jones, you're playing him out of position.

fallengt

Even in his prime years. Besides great reflection, good positioning, nothing else in his game surpassed everyone for him to be called best GK in the world.
Average ball distribution, rarely comes out of his goal line to clear the ball etc... I don't ask him to be Ederson but FFS, DDG's a coward compare to City's goal keeper.

Replacing DDG would cost United a lot though.

Last edited: