Jan Oblak

In Rainbows

Even in his prime years. Beside great reflection, good positioning and that's it nothing in his game surpasses everyone else for him to be called best GK in the world.
Average ball distribution, rarely comes out of his goal line to clear the ball etc... I don't ask him to be Ederson but FFS, DDG's a coward compare to City's goal keeper.

Replacing DDG would cost United a lot though.
de Gea at his best was limited to 0 or 1 mistakes leading to a goal, a season. All while making world class saves. Other players are better in other areas, but it didn't materialize itself in a better season than de Gea. Neuer for example was better in more areas, but because he made 5-6 mistakes a season it meant he wasn't as good as de Gea.

de Gea was the best keeper in his prime. I don't understand the need to rewrite history.

Kapardin

Even in his prime years. Beside great reflection, good positioning and that's it nothing in his game surpasses everyone else for him to be called best GK in the world.
Average ball distribution, rarely comes out of his goal line to clear the ball etc... I don't ask him to be Ederson but FFS, DDG's a coward compare to City's goal keeper.

Replacing DDG would cost United a lot though.
You are right, though many won't admit it.

But the only possible chink in your argument is the definition of a "world class/best in the world GK" - if such a GK is one whose performances actually earn us points we should have dropped, then yes, De Gea was one. Because for all his weaknesses, his shot-stopping was literally miraculous when he was at his peak and he wouldn't let anything in.

Now that ability has declined, he's being shown up a bit.

Axkiko

If well sell De Gea, I hope Dean Henderson will get a chance to prove himself at United. Give Dean a year to see if he is ready.

Patrick08

Now that ability has declined, he's being shown up a bit.
One can never say that for sure, but it sure is linked to his attitude and contract problem. Also his mate Herrera has left and Mata who will leave soon.

He has a right to feel disappointed with boards attitude towards his contract given his perfoemances and vision of the club and leave, but running down his contract and threatening to leave for free just doesn't sit well with me, its like saying a massive Feck you to man United board and joining those c**ts like psg on massive wages.

Top players running down contracts in favour of other clubs showing Ed Woodward is losing grip on the football club.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
de Gea at his best was limited to 0 or 1 mistakes leading to a goal, a season. All while making world class saves. Other players are better in other areas, but it didn't materialize itself in a better season than de Gea. Neuer for example was better in more areas, but because he made 5-6 mistakes a season it meant he wasn't as good as de Gea.

de Gea was the best keeper in his prime. I don't understand the need to rewrite history.
Neuer at his best was better than DDG at his best. However Neuer had one or two seasons where his form dropped off and DDG overtook him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neuer at his best was better than DDG at his best. However Neuer had one or two seasons where his form dropped off and DDG overtook him.
Neuer at his best was the best keeper I'd ever seen. His command of his box and distribution was worth extra points for both Bayern & Germany culminating in winning many top honours. Neuer did it in the big games for club and country.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Neuer at his best was the best keeper I'd ever seen. His command of his box and distribution was worth extra points for both Bayern & Germany culminating in winning many top honours. Neuer did it in the big games for club and country.
Buffon

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
His positioning is not incredible, and neither is is handling. His recovery is great, yes, but that goes hand in hand with his reflexes being extremely sharp.
It really is. One difficult season seems to have addled people's brains. It's mental.

Nickosaur

Purely hypothetical as this clearly wont happen... but what would be an acceptable deal for both clubs in swapping keepers?

Doubt atletico would accept a straight swap of oblak and ddg. Would atletico take Dave + £30m for oblak?

Aloysius's Back 3

What are his other top level goalkeeping qualities exactly? His reflexes are top notch, no doubt, probably the best I’ve ever seen, but what else does he have?

He’s not much of a leader or organizes the back line very well. He’s not a sweeper and stays on his line pretty much all the time. He’s not very physically dominant like Schmikes was.

I fail to see what the joke is. When his reflexes go he isn’t going to be a very good keeper, similar to what happened to Casillas.
Exactly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A goalkeeper can't be paid that much. He's not gonna earn that anywhere else.
We could have extended his contract before we signed Sanchez.

A new deal has apparently been on the table for about two years now.
Not true about De Gea. We were ready to extend him for ages as per popular rumours.
I believe the Castle narrative on this one which has been pretty consistent over the course of many months. Namely, that de Gea has been wanting a new deal for ages and we've left it late. That's our MO as well.

Links to anything to the contrary?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We could have extended his contract before we signed Sanchez.

I believe the Castle narrative on this one which has been pretty consistent over the course of many months. Namely, that de Gea has been wanting a new deal for ages and we've left it late. That's our MO as well.

Links to anything to the contrary?
Feb 2018,
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-de-gea-to-sign-new-manchester-united-deal-8kwx8wkpk

Hirst reported De Gea is set to sign new contract with ManUtd.

Jan 2018,
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...in-talks-david-de-gea-new-long-term-contract/

James Ducker reported Manutd have started negotiating De Gea's contract.

Mcking

Yeah. Buy Oblak and start him in front of Smalling Jones and see him become a joke later on. When we will learn start to improve whats in front of GK first? Even Ter Stegen/Allison would struggle with Smalling Jones Bailly Lindelof or whoever we have.
Smalling, Jones and Lindelof would likely look better with a goalkeeper like Allison in goal.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Feb 2018,
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-de-gea-to-sign-new-manchester-united-deal-8kwx8wkpk

Hirst reported De Gea is set to sign new contract with ManUtd.

Jan 2018,
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...in-talks-david-de-gea-new-long-term-contract/

James Ducker reported Manutd have started negotiating De Gea's contract.
Cheers. I can't read the Times article, but they're from January and February 2018 both (?) claiming that we're in contract negotiations with de Gea whilst having just wrapped up the Sanchez deal. My guess is the Sanchez deal complicated these talks..

Cloud7

It really is. One difficult season seems to have addled people's brains. It's mental.
Mate at what point are you going to stop saying that I’m remembering this wrong and accept we have a difference of opinion on this?

I have never rated certain aspects of big Dave’s game. He was undeniably top 2 in the world for quite a few years prior to this season, but for me that was mostly on the back of his reflex saves. The other aspects of his game have been found wanting. I’m not saying his positioning and handling are bad, but they’re not exceptional. I would say they’re both average-above average.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It depends very much on where De Gea and the club are in relation to each other. If the player does want out and his form is likely to continue to suffer here we should be looking for a solution, and in those circumstances getting some kind of deal done for Oblak with De Gea to Atleti or PSG would be superb. Money is an issue, both in terms of fees but also in wages, and either way it's disappointing that in a make or break summer we're having to mess around with a bumper deal and/or an expensive replacement for a keeper when De Gea was the one player no United fan would have considered selling 12 months ago.

It's also a shame how quickly some fans seem to have turned on De Gea, even though his 2019 form has been awful. My preference is that he signs a new deal, sorts his head out and gets back to his stunning best for us. Oblak would be nice if not, and longer term I'd love Henderson to work out here, though I doubt he's ready just yet.

Rockets Redglare

Smalling, Jones and Lindelof would likely look better with a goalkeeper like Allison in goal.
Of course they wouldn’t. They’d have to play the ball a lot more and they wouldn’t have a superhuman shot stopper like Dave behind them to mop up when they make their inevitable mistakes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Mate at what point are you going to stop saying that I’m remembering this wrong and accept we have a difference of opinion on this?

I have never rated certain aspects of big Dave’s game. He was undeniably top 2 in the world for quite a few years prior to this season, but for me that was mostly on the back of his reflex saves. The other aspects of his game have been found wanting. I’m not saying his positioning and handling are bad, but they’re not exceptional. I would say they’re both average-above average.
Welcome to a discussion forum, a forum where people discuss things. If you're going to get upset when people disagree with you, this ain't the place for you.

It's completely nonsensical and illogical to say he was undeniably top two in the world in one breath, and then say he had no exceptional abilities bar reflexes in the next. Show me another player, in any position, that was deemed world class off the back one particular attribute. I mean, you only have to go back to the last game against Spurs where pundits and commentators alike were highlighting DDG's brilliant positioning in comparison to Lloris. Or look at his incredible handling statistics in previous seasons, or this ridiculously low amount of unforced errors in his game.

Fosu-Mens

Tifo football podcast mentioned Kevin Trapp as an option. Had a great season for Eint. Fran. on loan from PSG.
Excellent distribution.
Also mentioned Merit (Udinese) and Benitez (Nice).

Mcking

No they wont.
Of course they wouldn’t. They’d have to play the ball a lot more and they wouldn’t have a superhuman shot stopper like Dave behind them to mop up when they make their inevitable mistakes.
They'd likely benefit from having a goalkeeper that does a few things which doesn't involve standing on the goalline and expecting the defenders to do everything.

Le Red

I don't want De Gea to go but if he does then Oblak is the man I'd go for. Beast of a keeper.
For all his flaws this season it's not De Gea's fault that our play from defense is so weak, but reading some posts here you'd think he's the primary cause our attack is so toothless.
I'm not downplaying the importance of a keeper that knows how to play ball but let's have some sense of proportion here please.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tifo football podcast mentioned Kevin Trapp as an option. Had a great season for Eint. Fran. on loan from PSG.
Excellent distribution.
Also mentioned Merit (Udinese) and Benitez (Nice).
Meret? He plays for Napoli.