January Transfer Window

buckooo1978

the fact that Moyes has been around Europe certainly suggests that we are inquiring about the availability of targets and their suitability

If it takes until the summer to get the right players then so be it

we can manage our club with short term thinking if we ever get taken over by oil rich arabs or whatever but whilst we are not run like a rich mans play thing we need to build squads with long term thinking

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Rafael's form last season had him as the third best player in a team that won the League comfortably. Unless Everton qualify for 4th with Coleman being one of Everton's best performers, then he will struggle to get near to Rafael's form last season.

I don't think any United fan would swap him for any other full back in the World. Along with Zabaleta he was the best RB in the League last season, with Zabaleta getting more recognition because he was by far City's best player all season, whereas United had Carrick, De Gea and RVP (hence winning the League so comfortably).

In my opinion he is already one of the best (top 5). All he needs is a couple of seasons without injury to prove it to people who don't watch him every week (the kind of opposition fans that are only just starting to believe that De Gea isn't an error prone flop).

Lahm, Marcelo, Alaba, Shaw, etc. are all better and will be better for another few years. I'm someone who rates Rafael as well, I think he's a very good player. I think he could be the best in the world in his position, but yeah, I agree with B20, it'd be because of a shortage of talent in the position. I don't see too many top right backs coming through at the moment. Carvajal looked quality last year, but he's apparently not progressed as thought since returning to Madrid.

To be honest, I have never seen too much of him but heard very good things. From memory, I think he may have been on the books at City for a while. I don't know what happened though.

Couldn't handle living in a foreign country and was homesick apparently.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I don't think it's crazy at all. After the WC the lad is probably the England left back for the next 10 years.
Brings him to 28.. probably 15 years knowing how much we rely on players for as long as possible.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Still, crazy bid for a left back if true.

No it's not. It's the same kind of philosophy behind signing the likes of Carrick for 17m. Or at the more extreme end, 30m for Ferdinand. Looks like crazy money at the time, in reality it's a great investment to have a position sewn up for a decade.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Who I reckoned Moyes was looking at in Paris

Manchester United chase Paris Saint Germain star Lucas Moura

DAVID MOYES is plotting a £30m swoop for Brazil and Paris Saint Germain midfielder Lucas Moura.
The Manchester United boss travelled to Paris to watch Moura in action against Bordeaux earlier this week.
Moyes has been scouring Europe looking at potential targets and believes playmaker Moura would be a huge success at Old Trafford.
But it remains to be seen if PSG are willing to sell Moura and if United’s valuation of the 21-year-old matches theirs.
Moura, who has won 31 Brazil caps and is expected to be part of their squad for this summer’s World Cup, was a target for Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer of 2012.

But he snubbed a move to United in favour of joining PSG from São Paulo for £37m.
United were not prepared to get into a bidding war and missing out on Moura left Fergie stunned.
He said: “I find it quite amazing that a club can pay 45m Euros for a 19-year-old boy. When somebody’s paying €45 million for a 19-year-old boy you have to say the game’s gone mad.”
But he has struggled to make a big impact in France.
He has found it difficult to hold down a regular starting place in the side and PSG are thought to be willing to listen to offers.
Moyes can guarantee him a first team place at Old Trafford, while United bosses are willing to match his current wages of £120,000-a-week.
Moyes was also running the rule over PSG midfielder Javier Pastore, but it is understood he favours Moura over the Argentine international.
Moyes has been told he has an unlimited budget to spend on new players between now and the start of next season and has made strengthening his flagging midfield a priority.
But Moyes has been dealt a blow after it emerged Brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio da Silva could both leave United at the end of this season.
Their agent, Cassiano Pereira, reckons the brothers are odds-on to quit.
He said: “At the moment I can say that they will remain in Manchester until the end of the season, but in the summer it is very likely that they can go.”
United have confirmed three clubs, including Italians Fiorentina, are chasing unwanted midfielder Anderson although no-one has enquired about Portuguese winger Nani, despite reported interest from Valencia.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Just a note re Shaw before people get excited, he's a big Chelsea fan

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
If Chelsea get Shaw I'll cry myself to sleep for the next month.

I'd give my left testicle for their transfer window if this happens.

Sarni

I think Shaw is likely to move in this transfer window which doesn't leave us enough time to conduct extensive scouting which we'd need to do to know if he's good enough.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If Chelsea get Shaw, but we sign Coentrao in the summer on a pre-contract agreement now, that would be brilliant, I don't think we need a LB in January, in the summer we definitely will. For me, we still need that one player in midfield as an urgent, possibly even a winger depending on Nani's situation, but the way I see it we have a spine of a good team, we just need to make a few adjustments

GK - DDG will keep this safe while he's with us, so not an issue, so LOW priority.

RB - If Rafael stays, we will need a back up, not a big issue, so LOW.

CB - Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Smalling, Jones. Unless we loose both Ferdinand and Vidic in the summer, I don't think a replacement's needed, a few more games at CB would be lovely for Jones and we would be left with one of Ferd/Vidic & Evans for experience with Jones and smalling, so not much of an issue, so LOW.

LB - Evra currently is a weak link in our team but at the same time, I've seen plenty of performances from wingers this season that suggest it's an equally measured worry. He's here until the summer at least, I think this is the first position that has a need, I would still refer to it as MEDIUM.

Wingers - Valencia, Young, Nani, Janujaz - Only one top player and he's young, I don't buy the "don't burn him out", players peak at different ages, his time is now and Nani if played for a good run I believe will cement his place, so with two average PL wingers in Valencia/Young we have adequate backups, but the fact a lot of our attacking play goes through the wings, there is a need to improve. MEDIUM again.

Centre Mid - Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Fellaini - Other than Carrick, we lack a true quality midfielder, Fletcher is a welcome timely return but he's essentially very similar to Carrick, and both are fairly static, which in today's game, there isn't place for 2 of these CM's in a 2 man midfield. Cleverley will never be more than a squad player, and Fellaini is a wild card. HIGH priority IMO.

Attacking Mid - Kagawa, Rooney - Possibly some of the best AM's on the planet when on form, I can't see how people say we need more creativity, what we need is a base from which the creative players can gain confidence in their team mates again and start to attempt more creative plays, for me this is a LOW prioirty.

Strikers - RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck - This is quite clearly a low priorty, no explanation needed, no other club in football can match our 4 strikers in my opinion, unless anyone leaves, LOW priority.

On that basis, I'd rank it Centre Mid, follow by Wingers and LB, so when we are linked to players like Lucas Moura etc I do worry..

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
A manager contacting a player without consent from his club. Isn't that tapping up? Now I know why players are unavailable, they're all going to Chelsea before we even make a bid for them.

Ringo 07

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...-his-move-for-Southampton-youngster-Luke-Shaw

If that bid is true and they end up getting Shaw and Matic in a January transfer window, god I hate Abramovich. Still, crazy bid for a left back if true.

These are 2 players we should have gone for over the summer......both would have been very buyable over the summer but Moyes had an obsession for continuously going for players that he had no chance of getting even after they rejected him

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I think it's fairly obvious we won't be signing anyone in January....it seems Moyes is doing all his scouting now in readiness for a squad overhaul in the summer.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
These are 2 players we should have gone for over the summer......both would have been very buyable over the summer but Moyes had an obsession for continuously going for players that he had no chance of getting even after they rejected him
You don't know that at all, how do you know Matic didn't always want to go to Chelsea? Or that there wasn't agent fee's paid? Also, Shaw hasn't moved yet, and it's clear we, alike Chelsea have an interest.

finneh

These points are weird. Would you discredit Bales quality due to Spurs not finishing top 4?

EDIT: As in, Bale (Spurs best player) couldn't be comparable to RVP (Uniteds best player) as United finished 17 points ahead of Spurs and were comfortably first.
It's slightly different when you have one player who is significantly better than anyone else in the team, ala Suarez. I certainly wouldn't put Coleman (or Rafael) into that category.

Lahm, Marcelo, Alaba, Shaw, etc. are all better and will be better for another few years. I'm someone who rates Rafael as well, I think he's a very good player. I think he could be the best in the world in his position, but yeah, I agree with B20, it'd be because of a shortage of talent in the position. I don't see too many top right backs coming through at the moment. Carvajal looked quality last year, but he's apparently not progressed as thought since returning to Madrid.

Couldn't handle living in a foreign country and was homesick apparently.
I've seen Shaw numerous times and believe Rafael is miles ahead of him. I would put Rafael on a par with Marcelo currently.

Of course he is a level below Lahm, who is the best full back in the World and is the finished article at 30. However I'd say Rafael has the potential to be as good as him if he stays injury free for the next 2 seasons - he really does have everything.

Sarni

Chelsea's activity makes you wonder what moyes and woodie are doing.

They have only been here for 6 months. Firstly, it's not enough time to conduct extensive scouting for Moyes, I wouldn't blame him for that. I wouldn't blame Woodward either - it's not that much time to prepare multiple bids. If we became interested in Zouma now after a short 6 month period of watching him you cannot possibly expect us to prepare a bid by the end of the window.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I wasn't referring to zouma. I meant transfer activity in general. Mourinho has also been at Chelsea the same amount if time as moyes has at united. Let's not use excuses like that.

Can excuse of Jose having about 100 times more money to spend than Moyes be used then? We've overpaid for Fellaini and look how much shit Moyes is getting, Jose could buy a chair for 28 mln pounds and nobody would give a feck because it's a pocket money.

Stretch

They have only been here for 6 months. Firstly, it's not enough time to conduct extensive scouting for Moyes, I wouldn't blame him for that. I wouldn't blame Woodward either - it's not that much time to prepare multiple bids. If we became interested in Zouma now after a short 6 month period of watching him you cannot possibly expect us to prepare a bid by the end of the window.

I don't buy that. Why are other managers capable of getting their scouting done well within 6 months but we/Moyes can't?

Stretch

Can excuse of Jose having about 100 times more money to spend than Moyes be used then? We've overpaid for Fellaini and look how much shit Moyes is getting, Jose could buy a chair for 28 mln pounds and nobody would give a feck because it's a pocket money.

It's obviously not just money is it? They have not signed anyone for a ridiculous fee since he's joined.