Jarrod Bowen under investigation for racist tweet

WakeAndBeek

So he would’ve been 15, definitely old enough to know better but I think punishing people for stuff they said as an adolescent is a step too far.

Siorac

Under investigation for poor grammar too, I’d imagine
That 'their' is more offensive than the tweet itself.

Nine years ago though. Surely there has to be some sort of limitation on this. I'm not sure about English law but in Hungary, if it turned out that, for example, I stole a car nine years ago, I couldn't be punished for it at this point unless the car's value was above €1m.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't think anything should be made of this, he was 15.

Ace Krampus

Is it any wonder why trust and respect for journalists is at an all-time nadir? I know very few people who've ever cared about the dredging up of a teenager's tweets but these stories keep materializing, so I guess someone is eating this crap up.

OL29

Tweeted from a Blackberry :lol: what’s next, digging up MySpace posts? A line has to be drawn somewhere.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was 9 years ago, he was a child and what he said wasn't really that bad.

If he gets any sort of punishment for this it will be a joke.

"I was an idiot when I was a kid, I was trying to be funny, I'm embarrassed I did it and sorry" should be the end of this.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Is it any wonder why trust and respect for journalists is at an all-time nadir? I know very few people who've ever cared about the dredging up of a teenager's tweets but these stories keep materializing, so I guess someone is eating this crap up.
Journalists would sell out their own mother for a story. And in todays world, everyone is a journalist.

Bojan11

I doubt journalists found the tweets. It’s those dumb football Twitter accounts.

izec

Someone is going through every footballer's/celebrity's social media to find something embarrassing/wrong they did or wrote in the past. Who cares what Bowen tweeted in 2012 as a teenage boy.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Stinks it really does, then exposing it is even worse.
all the people getting on their high horses about it will most likely work in a much less ethnically and racially diverse field. I’m sure Bowen has many more friends from different backgrounds than your average person who starts making something out of this. He was a teenager chatting shit to a friend when nobody gave a feck about his Twitter. Big deal.

Last edited:

UncleBob

It was 9 years ago, he was a child and what he said wasn't really that bad.

If he gets any sort of punishment for this it will be a joke.

"I was an idiot when I was a kid, I was trying to be funny, I'm embarrassed I did it and sorry" should be the end of this.
Considering Cavanis punishment, they sure as feck should punish Bowen.

RORY65

Does the blocked out hashtag begin with a W or an N?
N apparently. It's obviously a shitty thing to type and by 15 you're old enough to know better but as others have said he was technically a child and he wasn't a professional footballer then.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
At 15, you know its wrong but still..you're 15 and you say dumb shit on the regular. Punishing people for what they said as kids is baffling.

Red_toad

Don't think anything should be made of this, he was 15.
I honestly can’t believe people have time to search out that shite. I did loads of stuff that offended people when I was a youth, thankfully no twatter/ Facebook etc around then.
Makes you wonder how pure these do-gooders who are out in force currently Have been for their entire existence. Must be great to have never done anything wrong ever and to go around highlighting others faults.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Cavani is a man in his mid 30s. Bowen was a kid and posted that a decade ago.

Big difference.
Whatever your feelings about that, historical tweets are not exempt from punishment whether they’re social media justice or from professional bodies.
If pundits are weighing in with their opinion and the fallout over the ex FA chairman Greg Clarke still raw, I can’t see anything other than a ban and fine.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Whatever your feelings about that, historical tweets are not exempt from punishment whether they’re social media justice or from professional bodies.
If pundits are weighing in with their opinion and the fallout over the ex FA chairman Greg Clarke still raw, I can’t see anything other than a ban and fine.
He won't get a ban or a fine. He was a child.