Jarrod Bowen under investigation for racist tweet

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This stuff makes me rage. The only reason the authorities look at things like this is because its so easy. Everyone can pat themselves on the back for fixing racism for the week.

Real solutions are hard, and get forgotten because these things make headlines. It's infuriating.

OL29

Well no, but the point is more what it shouldn't be used as an excuse for. It's clearly inappropriate and embarrassing. But is it reasonable to assume it's an expression of racism?
It’s not racist but defining how people should act based on their ethnicity is harmful. It’s racial stereotyping.

Bojan11

He was a child and clearly stupid at the time, it doesn’t seem right to punish him for this considering he was still at school at the time but he definitely needs to come out and apologise for it and make it clear how much he regrets it.
If you bothered clicking the link, then you would see that he has apologised.

SER19

Pathetic. 15 year old isn't allowed to make a minor mistake without repercussions a decade later.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That’s a big reach :lol:
Of course it is, I'm not being entirely serious! But in the context of his dumb childish joke, he's actually expressing what would be considered a progressive, PC viewpoint.

Nobody could think from what he's said there that he's y'know, an actual racist, but it's now just completely normal for that to not even enter the discussion about whether he should face punishment or have to make some kind of grovelling apology.

Camilo

You would've heard that kind of joke on a crap Dave panel show at 4pm 10 years ago.

Siorac

That was a big one in my school. I got called it once because I came into school wearing a awesome LA Raiders jacket.

I didn't care, that jacket was sweet.
Hey, and it might even be valuable at this point - I'm sure there are collectors who love to get their hands on now defunct teams' merchandise.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bloody hell, is this a bitter Liverpool fan digging out a post of a rival player after losing again :lol:

Bobski

This stuff makes me rage. The only reason the authorities look at things like this is because its so easy. Everyone can pat themselves on the back for fixing racism for the week.

Real solutions are hard, and get forgotten because these things make headlines. It's infuriating.

This, in a nutshell. Real change takes work, this is just dopamine hits from easy targets, and immediate ammunition for "Cancel Culture" rants.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cavani is a man in his mid 30s. Bowen was a kid and posted that a decade ago.

Big difference.
Yes, but one is a man who doesn't speak English, so it's not quite as cut and dried as an age thing.

However, I think this sort of nonsense just gets in the way of stopping actual racism, as surely even the most halfwitted official understands that language is about context and intent.

OL29

Of course it is, I'm not being entirely serious! But in the context of his dumb childish joke, he's actually expressing what would be considered a progressive, PC viewpoint.

Nobody could think from what he's said there that he's y'know, an actual racist, but it's now just completely normal for that to not even enter the discussion about whether he should face punishment or have to make some kind of grovelling apology.
I disagree to be honest, you only need to look at this thread to see that the overwhelming consensus is that he shouldn’t be punished. The FA may still suspend him as they’ve set a ridiculous precedent, but, take a look at any thread on racism here and you’ll find a significant number of people defending pretty much any allegation.

owlo

The hashtag is absolutely racist.
Perhaps considered so now, but as a kid only a few years older, 10 years ago it was common language in more deprived neighbourhoods. Amongst whites, blacks, and mixed groups.

I don't see the term as antagonistic or prejudiced in any way. Same as calling a guy "My N" wouldn't be racist. You don't say either term to upset people, nor to prejudice them. In mixed groups it was used equally towards whites, blacks, jews, asians, whatever. It may not be politically correct, but the reality was it was/is extremely commonplace and meant no offense. Nor was it taken with any.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hey, and it might even be valuable at this point - I'm sure there are collectors who love to get their hands on now defunct teams' merchandise.
I think I was about 12 and my 16 year old sister chose it for me because she liked NWA (who were massive at the time in my school). I've never worn anything before or since that made me feel cooler.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If Twitter was around when I was 15 and people could dredge that shit up now and judge it by what it seemed socially acceptable today, I'd probably be in prison.

15 year old me did like a dead baby gag.
They never get old.

Dumb young kids sending the latest Sikipedia jokes on their Nokias was my generation of 13/14/15. I probably said the word in question loads of time because I thought singing G-Unit songs was cool and I lived in a small Irish town and knew no better. Teens will do dumb shit. It's not malicious.

V.O.

I disagree to be honest, you only need to look at this thread to see that the overwhelming consensus is that he shouldn’t be punished.
I'd say almost all of those posts were on the grounds of age or time passed. Meaning and intent have barely been mentioned at all.

justsomebloke

Yes, but one is a man who doesn't speak English, so it's not quite as cut and dried as an age thing.

However, I think this sort of nonsense just gets in the way of stopping actual racism, as surely even the most halfwitted official understands that language is about context and intent.
Also, they were not using the same word.

OL29

Perhaps considered so now, but as a kid only a few years older, 10 years ago it was common language in more deprived neighbourhoods. Amongst whites, blacks, and mixed groups.

I don't see the term as antagonistic or prejudiced in any way. Same as calling a guy "My N" wouldn't be racist. You don't say either term to upset people, nor to prejudice them. In mixed groups it was used equally towards whites, blacks, jews, asians, whatever. It may not be politically correct, but the reality was it was/is extremely commonplace and meant no offense. Nor was it taken with any.
Are you from the UK? Regardless, non-blacks using that word has always been widely considered racist. Whether or not the intent is to use it as a term of endearment, the word itself is racist.
And the bolded point is extremely naive, I can’t speak for the black community as a whole but I can assure you that the majority of black people will not take kindly to being called that word.

OL29

I'd say almost all of those posts were on the grounds of age or time passed. Meaning and intent have barely been mentioned at all.
I’d say because those are the only reasonable grounds for defence. You think if he tweeted that now, as a professional football players, and a grown man, it would be deemed as acceptable?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The world has genuinely gone mad.
While this case is mad, at least it is a word that was still deemed a racist/risque word back then.

The more worrying thing is the idea that something you say in an age where it's acceptable, can be used against you as being a hate crime decades later.

The way society is going, with "good" being twisted as being bad, and everyone having to tiptoe about every little word potentially being offensive to a certain group, it's inevitable this will continue to stuff we wouldn't give a second thought to now, like saying someone is a "fatty".

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's clearly a joke and wouldn't be unlikely for a comedian to say on stage a decade ago, these days 90% of jokes are off limits, trying to get a guy in trouble for a joke tweet nearly a decade ago is ridiculous.

Picket lines for his wicked rhymes, sick is the mind.
Trevor Noah isn’t the person up for sanction

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'll just say this:

Things like this hurt the cause more than it helps. When then boy cries wolf at every moving shadow, no one is goin to listen in the end. This is a parody of itself.

V.O.

I’d say because those are the only reasonable grounds for defence.
Exactly, that's the issue. The goalposts have been moved to where meaning/intent/actually-being-a-fecking-racist aren't even valid discussion points. Which is absolutely mental.

yamo123x

9 years ago, and its come to light now. The lad must have been early teens...bet Troy Deeney will go onto talksport and say how deeply offended he is and demand action, like he did on Cavani... it worked, the FA took the bait...now this

What is the world coming to, every day there is race related story, a grievance, a scandal, an injustice, offensive tweet, controversial instagram post..... sick to death of it.

owlo

Are you from the UK? Regardless, non-blacks using that word has always been widely considered racist. Whether or not the intent is to use it as a term of endearment, the word itself is racist.
And the bolded point is extremely naive, I can’t speak for the black community as a whole but I can assure you that the majority of black people will not take kindly to being called that word.
Yea, I grew up in the Hulme/Moss side area around 16-19. Perhaps naive, but I'm pretty sure if it had been taken with any offense I'd have been the victim of one or more of the many machetes that were around. Perhaps it was just a localised accepted thing? I dunno. I just know that in my locale, these terms were commonly used by all. (Obviously not by outsiders)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Who could be arsed being famous? I’m sure I said some pretty dumb things at 15.

OL29

Exactly, that's the issue. The goalposts have been moved to where meaning/intent/actually-being-a-fecking-racist aren't even valid discussion points. Which is absolutely mental.
I have to disagree, if the case is more ambiguous, such as Cavani’s suspension(or even in clear cut cases, such as the incident with Rangers last week), arguments will always be put forward to defend the so called perpetrator. With Bowen, it’s difficult to defend him based on intent, because the language used is indefensible.

CM

Mental that stuff like this gets investigated. The FA will waste time on historical posts or the Cavani one which is a clear misunderstanding whilst the real issues with racism in the game go unresolved.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They never get old.

Dumb young kids sending the latest Sikipedia jokes on their Nokias was my generation of 13/14/15. I probably said the word in question loads of time because I thought singing G-Unit songs was cool and I lived in a small Irish town and knew no better. Teens will do dumb shit. It's not malicious.
feck sake. :lol:

OL29

Yea, I grew up in the Hulme/Moss side area around 16-19. Perhaps naive, but I'm pretty sure if it had been taken with any offense I'd have been the victim of one or more of the many machetes that were around. Perhaps it was just a localised accepted thing? I dunno. I just know that in my locale, these terms were commonly used by all. (Obviously not by outsiders)
Yeah I think that’s probably exclusive to particular friendship groups, a non-black person using that type of language in a public domain has never been deemed as acceptable in my life time, at least as far as I’m aware.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pathetic to even dig up something like this and investigate it. At some point in life, specially when young and stupid, everyone said some stupid shit they shouldn't have.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pathetic. 15 year old isn't allowed to make a minor mistake without repercussions a decade later.
The repercussions as you term them will be from his professional body and not a criminal offence. Let’s put it in perspective. A fine, warning or ban who knows but it isn’t going to prevent him from functioning in society

Conor

I think you are kind of ignoring the complete phrase encapsulated in the hashtag, I would agree that using that term is basically a complete no, but the phrase was constantly said as a 'thing' around that time, and earlier(in the 2000s). Not 100% sure of the origin, but I feel like it was from a Martin Lawrence film or something possibly(that brought it to the point of every kid in the world saying it, I mean). Not that it makes it ok, but I think it lessens its intent possibly, i.e. he's not just using the word, but basically parroting a joke of the time. He should just apologise for it, and that should be the end of it, in my opinion.

MU655

The repercussions as you term them will be from his professional body and not a criminal offence. Let’s put it in perspective. A fine, warning or ban who knows but it isn’t going to prevent him from functioning in society
This is what is strange, though. He wasn't even a pro footballer when he did it, so why is any punishment going to be from the professional body?