Jarrod Bowen under investigation for racist tweet

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It wasn’t played back via a recording? The Campanis & Jimmy the Greek shit over here was recorded live, but it was the resultant uproar the following days due to replaying the clip is what rightfully doomed them. No media replayed this after the fact to any degree? That’s astounding.
I was only 12 in 1990 but did watch a load of Italia 90 coverage and until today and looking at this thread, that's the first time I've seen that clip or even heard that phrase.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I was only 12 in 1990 but did watch a load of Italia 90 coverage and until today and looking at this thread, that's the first time I've seen that clip or even heard that phrase.

I distinctly remember Terry Venables analysing the Lineker goal in the semi-final with Germany at HT and calling the German defender a faggot. I'd love to see a clip of it if anyone can find it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wow. That’s bizarre. I was roughly the same age when the Campanis / JtG shit came out, I very much remember the uproar both caused.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah you can keep pretending that's not a statement of fact or name one other race that can? I'll wait....
And with your “they are my brothers and sisters” take, well that's a pretty idealistic take that has no bearing on reality. I have no Western black brothers or sisters, the ones I have are all African and the only thing they share in common is high amounts of melanin, which has absolutely no importance to my choice of association.
You are free to yours and your mindset of course. Cheers
@afrocentricity

big rons sovereign

I remember my step mum kicking off about something Trevor brooking said during the cameroon game. Summat along the lines of "I didn't know they had phones in the jungle" or it may have been trees. I'm not sure.

I was 13 at the time and didn't give a shit what Trevor brooking was saying. I just wanted to see linekar and gazza.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I get your point, but what I'm trying to say is he was a dumb teenager, he doesn't deserved to now get punished for something stupid he said back then. The N word in hiphop was an example I used as a comparison to this. It's like doing that in public. But fair enough if that's a bad example. My point still stands, he said something dumb when he was a teenager. Teenagers do dumb shit. It doesn't make him a racist.

I'm not white by the way.
It wasn’t aimed at you btw;)

Inigo Montoya

Never seen this before. That's astounding really, saying it right in front of Crooks. In 1990 people knew that this was not at all acceptable so god knows why he threw it out there.
It might be worth asking him that:lol:

I know the word in itself is offensive and not some laughing matter but it’s just a cynical laugh at what was deemed acceptable 30 years ago

Inigo Montoya

I remember my step mum kicking off about something Trevor brooking said during the cameroon game. Summat along the lines of "I didn't know they had phones in the jungle" or it may have been trees. I'm not sure.

I was 13 at the time and didn't give a shit what Trevor brooking was saying. I just wanted to see linekar and gazza.
It was Ron Atkinson I think

RedDevil@84

Next, FA will launch investigation into how white players were behaving in their playschools. Were they sharing toys with toddlers of all colors and all that.
So much free time.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Next, FA will launch investigation into how white players were behaving in their playschools. Were they sharing toys with toddlers of all colors and all that.
So much free time.
A diverse group of 8 elderly white men in their 70s.

Here's an idea FA: Get someone who's actually of a different ethnicity in the investigation "group" and have them weigh in on wether or not something actually something.

Inigo Montoya

Was it? Shows how much attention I was paying.
Yes if I recall right he made disparaging remarks about Cameroon calling them macaroons at one
Point and other ‘jungle’ remarks off camera. Think it was only the Guardian that brought it too attention but such was the prevailing climate that no fuss was ever made of it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It was Ron Atkinson I think
Yep.

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa manager Ron Atkinson has been disgraced and ostracised in the United Kingdom following a racist comment directed at ex-Chelsea star Marcel Desailly a few years ago.

In 1990 while commentating on England’s quarter final against Cameroon, Big Ron also uttered some controversial comments - only that time he escaped without punishment.

Atkinson first described a Cameroon player as "absolutely brainless", then added off-air: "I'll only get into trouble if his mother's back home watching the game sitting up a tree."
https://www.goal.com/en/news/2377/top-10/2010/06/10/1544855/top-10-infamous-world-cup-quotes

Big Ron...oh dear.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It might be worth asking him that:lol:

I know the word in itself is offensive and not some laughing matter but it’s just a cynical laugh at what was deemed acceptable 30 years ago

I know it's one of those phrases that people of a certain age used to use, but in 1990 there is absolutely no excuse for saying that word and right in front of a POC to boot. Racism in football was a big issue at that time so Hurst should really have known better. His West Ham connections too as that was a club that had racism problems for a long time.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Racism in football was a big issue at that time so Hurst should really have known better.
The lack of public outrage mentioned earlier is probably down to several factors.

* 1990 was three decades ago - that's a long time relatively speaking. Racism in football had - finally - emerged as an issue, but it was still mainly about recognizing overt, malign racism on the terraces (banana throwing and whatnot).

* Unlike Big Ron, Hurst didn't target anyone in particular with his choice of words. He merely used an outdated idiomatic expression (impossibly outdated by 2021 standards, much less so for 1990 standards). It looks extremely offensive to a contemporary viewer - using that expression whilst sat right next to Crooks - but there you go: it was still in use back then and the reality is that it probably didn't cause much outrage among the people who watched it.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The lack of public outrage mentioned earlier is probably down to several factors.

* 1990 was three decades ago - that's a long time relatively speaking. Racism in football had - finally - emerged as an issue, but it was still mainly about recognizing overt, malign racism on the terraces (banana throwing and whatnot).

* Unlike Big Ron, Hurst didn't target anyone in particular with his choice of words. He merely used an outdated idiomatic expression (impossibly outdated by 2021 standards, much less so for 1990 standards). It looks extremely offensive to a contemporary viewer - using that expression whilst sat right next to Crooks - but there you go: it was still in use back then and the reality is that it probably didn't cause much outrage among the people who watched it.

Naah....you'd have to be really fecking insensitive to say n word in the presence of a POC even if it's part of an old expression. 1980 maybe, but not 1990. I was going to footy matches then and knew you couldn't say stuff like that.

I remember when Arsenal were redeveloping a stand at Highbury and put a temporary mural up showing supporters to make it look nice. Then somebody noticed that none of the painted faces were black and the club got a lot of grief about it. That was in 1992.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Naah....you'd have to be really fecking insensitive to say n word in the presence of a POC even if it's part of an old expression.
Maybe - perhaps Hurst was just a bit of a twat, I dunno.

But the awareness we now have with regard to language (not overt, hostile racist language - but outdated words and phrases that reflect racist views and concepts of a previous era) was surely nowhere near the same in 1990.

As far as I know, the first UK edition of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Ni**ers that did not use the original title wasn't published until after 1980. That would be less than ten years before Hurst made his comment.

All of that seems insane now - but the world moves on at a rapid pace. At least we hope it does.

Also worth mentioning - for what it's worth - that the N-word itself was nowhere near as taboo in Europe (including the UK) as it was in America for a long time. The Agatha Christie novel mentioned was renamed very early in the US.

ETA Sorry, that's wrong: The last UK edition w/ original title was published in 1977.

Still, English language editions were published under the original title in other parts of the world into the 1980s.

And that's without mentioning the various translations - which reflected the original English title - that continued to cause controversy well into the 2000s.

The first German edition, for instance, that wasn't called Zehn Kleine Negerlein (ten little negro kids - or something close - in English) wasn't published until 2003 - when it was given the title Und Dann Gabs Keines Mehr which reflects the modern English title (And Then There Were None).

Last edited:

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe - perhaps Hurst was just a bit of a twat, I dunno.

But the awareness we now have with regard to language (not overt, hostile racist language - but dated words and phrases that reflect racist views and concepts of a previous era) was surely nowhere near the same in 1990.

As far as I know, the first UK edition of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Ni**ers that did not use the original title wasn't published until after 1980. That would be less than ten years before Hurst made his comment.

All of that seems insane now - but the world moves on at a rapid pace. At least we hope it does.

Also worth mentioning - for what it's worth - that the N-word itself was nowhere near as taboo in Europe (including the UK) as it was in America for a long time. The Agatha Christie novel mentioned was renamed very early in the US.
I know what it was like, but n word has always been a highly charged epithet. I actually remember seeing the Dam Busters back in the 80s and being surprised to hear Guy Gibson calling his dog on screen by it's given name ( N word). I'm sure nobody at BBC even knew it was in the movie. It's been cut out now of course.

I don't think Hurst was a racist like burning crosses racist, just old school racist that was tolerated back then. Imagine how Crooks felt being humiliated like that on national TV by a World Cup hero....the Tottenham cnut.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Imagine how Crooks felt being humiliated like that on national TV by a World Cup hero....the Tottenham cnut.
:lol: He's a United cnut too, actually - of sorts. Was on loan to United for a brief spell. Er...under Big Ron.

But yeah, it makes for uncomfortable viewing.

ETA He scored a couple of goals for us too. Two goals in seven appearances - that's decent numbers: should call and ask if he's still available (bit old, but feck it - he's easily on Martial's level this season in terms of contribution).

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Mom's
"mother tongue" and "exposure" in the same sentence looks wrong?
Maybe not the right word, seems ok to me. You know what I mean though, and luckily this is a football forum and not an English exam.

If it were an English exam, that question mark you plonked at the end of your statement wouldn’t be much use.

Inigo Montoya

I know it's one of those phrases that people of a certain age used to use, but in 1990 there is absolutely no excuse for saying that word and right in front of a POC to boot. Racism in football was a big issue at that time so Hurst should really have known better. His West Ham connections too as that was a club that had racism problems for a long time.
Never mind 1990 mate, politicians have used it as recently as 2018(?). A Tory politician was suspended then reinstated I believe.

Inigo Montoya

I know what it was like, but n word has always been a highly charged epithet. I actually remember seeing the Dam Busters back in the 80s and being surprised to hear Guy Gibson calling his dog on screen by it's given name ( N word). I'm sure nobody at BBC even knew it was in the movie. It's been cut out now of course.

I don't think Hurst was a racist like burning crosses racist, just old school racist that was tolerated back then. Imagine how Crooks felt being humiliated like that on national TV by a World Cup hero....the Tottenham cnut.
If you want to see a hilarious deconstruction of the Guy Gibson’s dog story, check out the Office scene where David and Gareth discuss it. :lol:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m surprised this thread has 13 pages. Obviously he’s done wrong, and at 15 he certainly should have known better, but what’s there to talk about? Have there been any major developments?

He was clearly a fecking moron of a teenager that said something he certainly should not have said. It was 10 years ago - what’s left to be done?

I remember when the Guardians of the Galaxy director got fired because his tweets from a decade ago were resurfaced.

Tarrou

I’m surprised this thread has 13 pages. Obviously he’s done wrong, and at 15 he certainly should have known better, but what’s there to talk about? Have there been any major developments?

He was clearly a fecking moron of a teenager that said something he certainly should not have said. It was 10 years ago - what’s left to be done?

I remember when the Guardians of the Galaxy director got fired because his tweets from a decade ago were resurfaced.
There was long e-fight about nothing and another argument about grammar schools for some reason

And someone claiming the N-word wasn’t offensive or something

Pretty standard Caf racism thread really, it always kicks off

Posh Red

N****r
That was his name N****r!
“ you don’t have to say it twice!” :lol:
Funnily enough the religious studies teacher at my secondary school actually had us watch an episode of the office when she was teaching us about subtle racism in society. I was only twelve at the time and had never really watched it. Great show.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

I remember when the Guardians of the Galaxy director got fired because his tweets from a decade ago were resurfaced
Got rehired.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wasn’t that after the cast stated they wouldn’t sign on unless it was him? At least some
Made a stand against the absurdity of digging up historic tweets
The cast voiced support as they naturally would, but I think biggest threat was Batista threatening to walk it Gunns script wasn't used.

Oldyella

Wasn’t that after the cast stated they wouldn’t sign on unless it was him? At least some
Made a stand against the absurdity of digging up historic tweets
He had also already apogised for the tweets a few years before they resurfaced, way back when he was making the first movie. Everyone knew he had apologised but he was in political arguments with some right wing commentators and they were used against him.

Inigo Montoya

He had also already apogised for the tweets a few years before they resurfaced, way back when he was making the first movie. Everyone knew he had apologised but he was in political arguments with some right wing commentators and they were used against him.
Right, cheers. Power some people can wield over others to make and break careers

Stacks

If he made them when he was 14 then he should be charged as a 14 year old
I agree. No PS5 for a week and no cable
Another "How to turn people off from caring about the issue" Masterclass by the old white men at FA.

Curiously, actual racism has a window of 6 months before its too late to pursue it in a criminal court in the UK. I just can't take it seriously when someone accuses a teenager of having said something racist NINE years ago.

Maybe it's time FA looks into textmessages sent by Graeme Souness in 1996 and fine him for something, anything.
thats crazy. But then the FA have shown to punish people outside of the law as seen with the Terry/Ferdinand incident when he was cleared in court but they charged him.
Well it would undermine their campaigns against Racism and Homophobia in football if they ignore it. The FA can’t come out and say racism or homophobia is ok up to a certain age.

And let’s be honest, it’s not like the players are being fired or banned from ever playing football, it’s a small fine, attend a course and an apology. It’s a public show to prove their commitment to stamping out intolerance. I don’t see that they have any option but to do this.
I doubt it. I feel people accept we say/do silly things as children. Its expected as our brains haven't developed and neither has our maturity/character. How would punishing a grown man for things he did as a child stop homophobia? you think teenagers are following this case and saying "well I guess I better stop talkin shit in case I become a premier league footballer someday?"
I agree but, the trouble with that theory is that, once the story is out there, there's no allowance in society or the media for 'context' or 'common sense' to be applied in these allegations.

If they did let the players off because they were young, or, in Cavani's case, it was acknowledged as an unintentional offence based on not speaking the language, then there would be far more of an outcry of them not taking racism or homophobia serious - and setting a terrible example for what's acceptable for teenagers to post, say and think - and far more validity and media coverage given to those complaints.

Whereas, if they act on them, it gets received positively and the only grumbles seen or heard in the media are on social media like this.

We're stuck in a betwixt and between stage at the moment, with a lot of inconsistencies and very little room for context and common sense to be applied, and I agree some of it is getting a bit relentless and ridiculous - such as the digging up of all these old posts. But once they are out there, the authorities simply have to act on them to some degree.
I hear what you are saying but it may be better to wait and test the temperature (see if there is any uproar) before acting. People may not feel strongly about it. They should get them to apologise and admit they were immature and have become a better person or some shite.