Jason Wilcox - New technical director

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What will his responsibilities include? Is he also going to cover our head of recruitment remit I assume?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Can someone tell me what should i feel about this?
Southampton doesn't look like a well run club.

Is he one of the best candidates for this position?
I don't know! He had a different job title at Southampton than the one he's supposedly getting with us. More to do with the players there, whereas as here it looks like non-playing staff.

Guessing his priority there would have been to help negotiate player sales/cut the wage bill following relegation and they did raise a lot of cash (£187m in player sales) so object achieved? but here we'd be looking to build I'd presume with his job focused on improving the non-playing departments.

His work at City seems to be well regarded in yet another different role. If Liverpool want him too then maybe that's a good thing?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He's right, but if Man United come calling.....
Then he should have went to Southampton and said, I’ll stay for the rest of the season if you let me go in the summer if United pay up my notice period. Would potentially have saved a lot of issues.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Why are we taking the one story from a random journo about Liverpool above the 5+ from all the reliable ones, exactly?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What will his responsibilities include? Is he also going to cover our head of recruitment remit I assume?
Possibly if one isn't hired in time for the summer but from what I've gathered long term we want a head of recruitment, technical director and a performance director.

diarm

Lots of pissing and blustering online about this approach being made during their game and the poor timing of it all.

Far more likely that any approach was made earlier, and there being a load of journos at the ground for the game, someone has said something and they’ve rushed to break the story.

McFred

I think it’s a good sign that another well run club is in for him

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Lots of pissing and blustering online about this approach being made during their game and the poor timing of it all.

Far more likely that any approach was made earlier, and there being a load of journos at the ground for the game, someone has said something and they’ve rushed to break the story.
We have been linked to him ever since the sale went through really. At least since Ashworth was confirmed.

AndySmith1990

We offered one year of his salary and it was rejected, but Liverpool offer one year salary and it is agreed? Yeah alright

Chairman Steve

From what I’ve read previously, he will be what is essentially the main player development person at United, in that the guy who will aim to develop the players from the academy to be good enough for the first team and save us millions in transfers.

He probably will have a say in where those players go on loan too, and probably a conduit in the INEOS multi-club model (something a lot more enticing probably, when you’re pitched to have a say in more than one club’s affairs, and probably paid much more for it than being the main man at Soton)

And I just about remember him and Le Saux causing us problems down our right side for Blackburn back in the 90s.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

Hopefully we retracted our offer after the final whistle.

mikeyt

I find this idea of putting him on 12 months gardening leave instead of accepting an offer just plain strange. He's going to leave whether they like it or not so rather than let him leave now for a reasonable amount of money, they'd rather get nothing more from him. He's not going to work there, they will stay pay him and they'll need to pay his replacement. It's the same with Newcastle and Ashworth, they aren't saving face, just looking more daft!

Ekeke

Sounds like Liverpool and Southampton had agreed, but he wants United so he resigned. Echo others thoughts that its a very good sign other big clubs want him

Rojofiam

Not really arsed about Pool's reported interest

Not only do United have a bigger pull generally, especially with Ineos suddenly looking like a serious co-owner after the Glazer years, but this guy is from Bolton, has lived in Manchester before when he worked at City, and knows Berrada as well. I doubt he wants to miss out on this project for life at post-Klopp Liverpool, with the lesser resources as well, compared to us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I genuinely thought he was still at Man. City in their youth set up, explains why Southampton have signed so many from Man. City in recent years. :lol:

So this basically rules out Dan Ashworth now unless Technical director and Director of Football are two different job specs now?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I genuinely thought he was still at Man. City in their youth set up, explains why Southampton have signed so many from Man. City in recent years. :lol:

So this basically rules out Dan Ashworth now unless Technical director and Director of Football are two different job specs now?
Think they’re different things.

How will a director going derail what’s happening on the pitch in the last month of the season?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

No it doesn’t. Ashworth still on the cards.

Brophs

The One and Only
This makes little ense at me. What impact could he really have on the season run-in?
They’ll be down at least one heartfelt text message to the manager per game which you can’t put a price on.