Javier Hernandez | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Obviously Dortmund compared to United in those days play different formations. But Kagawa plays more deep than you may think. Dortmund play the high pressure game like Barca, but if they did have to drop back Kagawa would often drop back in to CM. The point is that both Kagawa and a young Scholes are similar.
I've seen Kagawa many times, so know he can play wide as well etc. But honestly I can't agree with you that he's completely like Scholes, because Scholes could play CM.

Kagawa has never been an out and out centre mid, whereas Scholes could do it. He did do it and would play plenty of games as a central midfielder, whereas Kagawa never has.

If Kagawa comes and plays large periods next to Carrick and does well etc, then they will be the same/very similar, as they can both play as a No 10, and both play as a CM. At the moment though, Scholes could play both, whereas Kagawa has only played one.

Maybe you have seen something I haven't though, dunno where you're from/if you support Dortmund etc. Have you seen him in central midfield with just one other partner?

johnmufc

I'm very scared for Chicharito. He has a wonderful attitude, but I'm worried he simply isn't good enough technically. Welbeck will also be threatened by the arrival of van Persie, but he has the versatility and technique to adapt. Chicharito, though, will be lucky to start 10 League games this season.

An Irish Red

Chicharito, though, will be lucky to start 10 League games this season.
Even if it was only ten starts he got, and that's completely hypothetical, he would still be first choice off the bench when we are chasing a game as well as playing a lot in the cups/group stages. He'd get plenty of games, same as Welbeck.

Fergies probably the best in the business when it comes to rotating a squad, no worries there at all.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Even if it was only ten starts he got, and that's completely hypothetical, he would still be first choice off the bench when we are chasing a game as well as playing a lot in the cups/group stages. He'd get plenty of games, same as Welbeck.

Fergies probably the best in the business when it comes to rotating a squad, no worries there at all.
You can't believe that? So if we started with Kagawa behind Rooney for example and were 1-0 down with Van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez on the bench, you think Hernandez would be first choice to come on?

An Irish Red

You can't believe that? So if we started with Kagawa behind Rooney for example and were 1-0 down with Van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez on the bench, you think Hernandez would be first choice to come on?
Obviously not in that situation. It was a hypothetical post based on my interpretation of our first eleven. Something like this I would say;

Carrick Kagawa
Valencia Rooney Nani
Van Persie​

I know a lot of people disagree but I can really see Kagawa spending the lions share of the season as a central midfielder. I think it's obvious that Rooney and Rvp will be first choice and after that I'd rate Hernandez higher than Welbeck as an impact sub (most would I would imagine).

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Ohh right, yeah I can see what you mean.

Yeah he would be a better impact sub than Welbeck in my opinion as well, if you need a goal he's always worth sticking on.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I know Kagawa played one game in central midfield but it doesn't make him a central midfielder.

White text lolz - this guy cant count to five
It's like you acknowledged the joke and still didn't get it.

American, I'm guessing?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's like you acknowledged the joke and still didn't get it.

American, I'm guessing?
The joke is that you can't count?

So the joke is you?

No, I got that mate. :)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can hardly wait for The Sun's 'Roman wants a Pea' headline.

Cina

didn't chelsea also ask about rafael earlier in june?
I'm pretty sure Abramovich just has a tub filled with balls containing the names of every player in the world that he randomly picks a name from every day to bid for. Must've been fuming when Moses came out.

Widnes

Not sure why he would want to go he would still only be a squad playe there, Also heard Arsenal was interested but with how much they demanded for RVP at 29 with one year left they could expect to pay a lot for a 23 year old with 3-4 years left. Can't see the lad leaving I just don't see a top club where he could guarentee been first choice at the moment.

MiamiSpartan

Same as Scholes in 98, he moved to the middle instead of partnering Cantona.
He didn't have to move positions to not partner with Cantona in 98. In fact, he would have had to move in order TO partner with him....move to France, that is. The only place that Scholes could have partnered with Cantona in 98 would be on a beach or in a movie. I'm really not sure what Scholes in 1998 and Cantona have to do with each other at all.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Hernandez is going to be our pinch hitter, bring him on when the opposition starts getting leggy.

Gazza

Fergie saw Scholes as the heir to Cantona's role in the team right up to the end of the 1996/97 season at least. He said Scholes would become a regular after Eric left. It could be that Roy Keane getting injured for the whole of the next season played a big part in Scholes playing more of a midfield role thereafter.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He didn't have to move positions to not partner with Cantona in 98. In fact, he would have had to move in order TO partner with him....move to France, that is. The only place that Scholes could have partnered with Cantona in 98 would be on a beach or in a movie. I'm really not sure what Scholes in 1998 and Cantona have to do with each other at all.
Lol you've clearly read the thread so I'm sure you know what I meant. When he broke through he partnered Cantona, but later abandoned that role fully in 98 when Keane got injured and moved to centre mid.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It is. Scholes was playing off Ruud, Seba as LCM with Keano to the right.
I think Rams is saying that wasn't the first time he played off the forward, not that it didn't happen when Veron came.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Lol you've clearly read the thread so I'm sure you know what I meant. When he broke through he partnered Cantona, but later abandoned that role fully in 98 when Keane got injured and moved to centre mid.
What is the overall argument?

The similarity between Scholes and Kagawa is that they started off as second strikers/attacking midfielders and long-term that's where people saw them playing. Then Keane got injured and Van Persie was bought and that opened up a spot in midfield, so they dropped a little deeper to play a different role due to their versatility and all-round skill and unexpectedly became excellent centre mids. It all fits in nicely.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
One way of looking at it!

Overall argument is Scholes could play both roles, No 10 and CM. Whereas Kagawa has just proven he can play one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
fecking hell. Why are you so stubborn?

Yes, Scholes adapted. We know that now, with hindsight. Before he made the switch, when he was the age Kagawa is now, he had only ever played as a number 10.

All that everyone is trying to point out to you is that it's not exactly a stretch to suggest that Kagawa might be capable of doing the same.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Yes, Scholes adapted. We know that now, with hindsight. Before he made the switch, when he was the age Kagawa is now, he had only ever played as a number 10.

All that everyone is trying to point out to you is that it's not exactly a stretch to suggest that Kagawa might be capable of doing the same.
You're calling me stubborn... Right.

When the feck did I say he might not be capable of doing the same? Again you're twisting what's been said. I'm saying he might be able to, but he might not. Scholes is hardly the rule is he? You ask any AM like Silva, Mata, Ozil etc to play centre mid and odds are they wouldn't be able to.

But because Scholes could, Kagawa will too? Adds up.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Hear hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.