Javier Hernandez | Sevilla player

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What faltering career? He was more than decent for Leverkusen and even did a good job for Madrid in limited appearances.
He had one good season at Leverkusen. His second season was middling. If he had been 'more than decent' in his last season he wouldn't have ended up at West Ham.

Saw a funny comment on The Mirror's article:

I couldn't believ it when we, Manchester United sold Javier Hernandez or "chicarito" as he is also known as. For me he was our new Ole Gunner Solskajar and was on the scoresheet regularly in his short time at Old Trafford. He is a natural goal poacher and I'll bet we could get him for a song.
If the rumours are correct about Zlatan's departure chicarito would be a snip and I can't believe he can't get in that West Ham Utd team but who is the manager......moaning Moyes who reminds me on one of those miserable crows who sit on the branch of a tree waiting for an animal to die. This is a gamble worth taking and not as big a gamble as Lucas Moura.
Think he's thinking of a vulture.

I think the key part of that statement was "at the time". Also, he was also saying that in part to get one over on LvG who I think around the time of the comment was making comments about United's style of play under Mourinho.

Mourinho may well have kept some of the players shipped out (Rafael, Evra, Nani, Evans, Welbeck, Hernandez, etc.) for a bit longer, but it doesn't mean they'd still be here now.
I agree with all of that.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes, people are biased towards players they like. Like lot of fans still think Bale and Shaw are awesome and every time they play ok-ish games here and there, keep saying "He is back and showing the world"
Comparing Hernandez to Shaw and Bale. :lol:

Stop Wumming :nono:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The one that always baffles me is with Nani, I swear a lot of our fans would love to have him here still. Apart from one season he was always a one in ten player.
Nani was normally great when played on the right. Unfortunately he was pushed over to the left for the majority of his time with us, where he was much more inconsistent (although much better than 'one in ten').

ivaldo

I am not comparing their football. Just fans love for the players.
Bale is still banging in goals for the champions league holders and Shaw has returned from a serious injury and is impressing. After being ditched by Bayer Hernandez can’t even get minutes for a relegation battling West Ham. There is no comparison to their situations.

RedDevil@84

Bale is still banging in goals for the champions league holders and Shaw has returned from a serious injury and is impressing. After being ditched by Bayer Hernandez can’t even get minutes for a relegation battling West Ham. There is no comparison to their situations.
Missed my point by a mile. I am not comparing the football form or anything here.

Bale's no of appearances has been on decline for 3 seasons. He is getting injured way too often and it is only getting worse. Yet, there are people who believe that a miracle is going to happen and he is going to have 12 months or 24 months injury free and is going to help Real or any other team he moves to, to win CL.

Same with Hernandez. Some people believe (hope/pray), that coming out of a problematic team like West Ham will help him to regain lost form or become a great backup option. In short, another miracle.

I am just saying both these hope for a miracle comes from love for the player as an individual.

AndyJ1985

He's not very good, and the fact that some people want him proves that certain people base their opinion on sentimentality towards a player instead of what's best for our club.

el3mel

He's a good sub player, a forward you throw in the box in the last 15 minutes when you're pressing the opposition so much in the last 6 yards so that the ball hit him and get in. He wasn't and will never be the main striker, as he lacks so much in his arsenal to be the main man, but he's a good sub option.

Selling him when Rooney was our main striker was a mistake, but now we have Lukaku, with Rashford and Martial. Chicharito has no use here. We should be aiming higher.

crossy1686

career ending
Hernandez is a kind of player that only Fergie could ever get the best out of. His skillset is incredibly narrow but Fergie would make sure that the team highlight the things he's very good at.

Acole9

Outstanding
I called it when West Ham signed him that he wouldn't be that good for them. Such a limited player, he has pace but his off the ball movement is non existent. He's only good for a team as a back up coming off the bench to nick a goal.

ivaldo

Missed my point by a mile. I am not comparing the football form or anything here.

Bale's no of appearances has been on decline for 3 seasons. He is getting injured way too often and it is only getting worse. Yet, there are people who believe that a miracle is going to happen and he is going to have 12 months or 24 months injury free and is going to help Real or any other team he moves to, to win CL.

Same with Hernandez. Some people believe (hope/pray), that coming out of a problematic team like West Ham will help him to regain lost form or become a great backup option. In short, another miracle.

I am just saying both these hope for a miracle comes from love for the player as an individual.
Of course you are drawing a comparison, or are you telling me you're just randomly naming players with no connection to Hernandez' situation whatsoever? You're making a comparable, a 'comparison'.

We are talking about football players, their ability to play football is kind of relevant, don't you think? The reason why investing hope in Bale and Shaw is still happening is because they are both terrific players. Hernandez isn't. He was shunned by Bayer and is being shunned by West Ham. Expecting him to suddenly be good enough for us is nonsensical. Expecting a player to return to their playing ability after an injury is not, particularly when they are already beginning to demonstrate their capabilities. There is absolutely no reason why Shaw can't consolidate the LB for us and play for years to come. As I said. The two situations aren't even remotely comparable.

RedDevil@84

The reason why investing hope in Bale and Shaw is still happening is because they are both terrific players
You see logic in the hope in their situations (especially Bale). I see illogical hope for miracles.

ivaldo

You see logic in the hope in their situations (especially Bale). I see illogical hope for miracles.
He's banging in goals for Madrid still. Exactly the same situation as Hernandez. Flawless comparison. :houllier:

I notice you've gone quiet on the Shaw front...

RedDevil@84

He's banging in goals for Madrid still.
5 goals in 8 matches is it?? Too early to call it banging in. Lets see how his rest of season goes.

As for Shaw, I don't have any high hopes, nor I think his performance has been something extraordinary. He was rock bottom, unable to get a start. So him starting matches is itself a positive.

But then the discussion has gone beyond Hernandez, because you are hell bent on comparing Bale's football prowess with Chicha, despite repeatedly telling that I was talking about why people still cling on hopes for certain players.

So whatever floats your boat. I am done.

ivaldo

5 goals in 8 matches is it?? Too early to call it banging in. Lets see how his rest of season goes.

As for Shaw, I don't have any high hopes, nor I think his performance has been something extraordinary. He was rock bottom, unable to get a start. So him starting matches is itself a positive.

But then the discussion has gone beyond Hernandez, because you are hell bent on comparing Bale's football prowess with Chicha, despite repeatedly telling that I was talking about why people still cling on hopes for certain players.

So whatever floats your boat. I am done.
I wasn't the one to bring Bale and Shaw into the conversation to draw comparisons :lol:

acnumber9

he has pace but his off the ball movement is non existent.
You can’t have watched him play then. Hernandez never stopped moving. It was his biggest quality and why he’s scored so many goals.

Acole9

Outstanding
You can’t have watched him play then. Hernandez never stopped moving. It was his biggest quality and why he’s scored so many goals.
In the box sure, but outside of it? I think you'll find it's you who can't have watched him play.

Acole9

Outstanding
He’s constantly making runs. You definitely haven’t been watching.
:lol: Ok if you think I haven't been watching, I haven't been watching. If that's what makes you happy. I've been a United supporter for 30 years but yes I definitely haven't watched him....

Acole9

Outstanding
He was offside for much of that movement though....
Exactly, it was very frustrating to watch (For the benefit of @acnumber9 I didn't watch him) For West Ham this season he just doesn't appear to have that same instinct like he had for us, could be a confidence thing possibly.

NoPace

A loan would make sense if we don't sign Sanchez, since it seeems Mourinho feels we need a bench 9 who can start if Lukaku is out.

Loan swaps never happen but Hernandez here for 5 months and us paying Cheech's way too big salary for those 5 months makes sense. We could give them Tuanzebe on loan even, since they've been reduced to playing Collins and have had defensive injury issues in general, and Zabaleta looks quite old at RB.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Jeez I liked him as a United player in his time but fecked if I want him back. And Tuanzebe would not get enough games for West Ham unless they have an injury crisis.

acnumber9

:lol: Ok if you think I haven't been watching, I haven't been watching. If that's what makes you happy. I've been a United supporter for 30 years but yes I definitely haven't watched him....
I was being generous because I didn’t think it was possible to watch somebody and be that wrong. If you insist though you’re clearly just terribly wrong.

Acole9

Outstanding
I was being generous because I didn’t think it was possible to watch somebody and be that wrong. If you insist though you’re clearly just terribly wrong.
You didn't read the comment above then? Much of that movement he's offside so it's a bit of a non event really isn't it?

acnumber9

You didn't read the comment above then? Much of that movement he's offside so it's a bit of a non event really isn't it?
I read it and decided to ignore it as it was all it was worthy of. Plenty of great strikers, with great movement get offside. It pretty much ridicules your idea that he doesn’t move if anything.

Acole9

Outstanding
I read it and decided to ignore it as it was all it was worthy of. Plenty of great strikers, with great movement get offside. It pretty much ridicules your idea that he doesn’t move if anything.
Well he obviously doesn't because he's scored barely any goals at West Ham nor Leverkusen last season!

Sparky Rhiwabon

A loan would make sense if we don't sign Sanchez, since it seeems Mourinho feels we need a bench 9 who can start if Lukaku is out.

Loan swaps never happen but Hernandez here for 5 months and us paying Cheech's way too big salary for those 5 months makes sense. We could give them Tuanzebe on loan even, since they've been reduced to playing Collins and have had defensive injury issues in general, and Zabaleta looks quite old at RB.
Hernandez is struggling to keep his place at Hammers! Sanchez is world class. Not sure how they are linked.

Acole9

Outstanding
That doesn't mean not scoring = no movement. That's a pretty basic logic fail.
No and I get that but if he's running/moving around but not scoring and just being offside the whole time then it's a non event really.

I really liked him when he was at United and I hoped we'd never sell him but after his first season or two he never really improved his all round game which is what I was getting at in my original post. I think that's why he didn't do so well at Leverkusen, once all the defences sussed him out they realised he's actually a rather limited player.

manutddjw

It seems pretty clear it's either Martial or Rashford starting on the left, so with that in mind I don't see the huge urgency for a back up striker like Hernandez. If Lukaku is injured, play one of them in their natural position instead. If we have to get somebody, I can't really complain about Hernandez. For the most part we seem hell bent on putting crosses in and Hernandez has proven more than capable to get on the end of something.

SerenityValley

People often ignore things that go against their ingrained viewpoints.

Yes, great strikers with great movement do get caught offside.

Hernandez, being an average player, with average movement, was caught offside several times a game, rarely making an impact with his runs.

He was at his best when in the 6 yard box. Not when trying to receive a pass from 40 yards out, as he’d invariably be offside for the latter.

acnumber9

People often ignore things that go against their ingrained viewpoints.

Yes, great strikers with great movement do get caught offside.

Hernandez, being an average player, with average movement, was caught offside several times a game, rarely making an impact with his runs.

He was at his best when in the 6 yard box. Not when trying to receive a pass from 40 yards out, as he’d invariably be offside for the latter.
People often make stuff up to better suit their ingrained opinions too. He’s scored a lot of goals for one so average with such average movement.