Jean-Clair Todibo

croadyman

Yet another article talking about his issue in the air,when you see that it makes me think is there much between him & Pavard on that score. Amazes me that people aren't concerned by that when he is so tall. Surely he should be much more dominant in that attribute

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yet another article talking about his issue in the air,when you see that it makes me think is there much between him & Pavard on that score. Amazes me that people aren't concerned by that when he is so tall. Surely he should be much more dominant in that attribute
Then we should keep Harry Maguire.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It feels weird that we’d be signing an Harry Maguire replacement that’s better than him. So the new CB we sign will be competing with Varane/Martinez for a starting spot.

DJ_21

Why would you want to sign a Maguire replacement who is worse than him?
You wouldn’t. Came out wrong. What I meant was we will have very decent options. Martinez, Varane, lindelof and new CB. Usually you associate back up CBs as not being as good as the first choice CBs but if we bring in one of the names being mentioned then they could easily come in and take martinez or Varanes spot.

Remember the geese

You wouldn’t. Came out wrong. What I meant was we will have very decent options. Martinez, Varane, lindelof and new CB. Usually you associate back up CBs as not being as good as the first choice CBs but if we bring in one of the names being mentioned then they could easily come in and take martinez or Varanes spot.
Ah, I get you. Yeah it is smart to bring in a quality centre back who can hopefully slot in for Varane especially, fairly seamlessly.

massey

How it should be imo it's a long season competition and options off the bench will improve us hopefully.

El Jefe

I've watched bits of the second half and he's been in no man's land in a couple of attacks against the defence. Pressed very high up and found himself way behind the play.

Of course this could be tactical.

Chief123

To be fair we have Lindelof who is dreadful when it comes to heading too. Heading the ball as a centre back has become less important as the game has gone on. Aerial threat is slowly becoming exclusively useful only on set pieces.

Gibb11

I went to st James park last week and by luck managed to see Nice play Villareal with Todibo and Thuram playing... this was hours before Newcastle. v Fiorentina double header (no Amrabat tho) ..... So I dont remember individually Todibo's performance and his particularly skillset, but that Thuram player caught my eye and had to google him as he made a surging run from deep going past a few players with skill and generally looked one of the best footballers on the pitch

Appletonred

Sorry but if Todibo wasn't good enough for Barca then how is he good enough for us, he plays in one of the weakest leagues in Europe for an average side, not being negative, just not feeling it for this guy.

DJ_21

How it should be imo it's a long season competition and options off the bench will improve us hopefully.
100%. At a club like ours we should only have quality options on the pitch and on the bench. City are a good example of quality squad depth which is needed to compete in all competitions.

zaafi

Sorry but if Todibo wasn't good enough for Barca then how is he good enough for us, he plays in one of the weakest leagues in Europe for an average side, not being negative, just not feeling it for this guy.
He was 18 and 19. He is almost 24 now.

Barcelona also had Araujo and Pique.

DJ_21

That’s a silly comparison though. He may not of been what they needed or he wasn’t getting much game time because of there other options. You could say that about dozens of players that have left clubs but joined other clubs. Plus he’s only 23 so can still improve a lot.

OrcaFat

“Back-up” is not a thing for EtH. He wants proper competition for places.

croadyman

That’s a silly comparison though. He may not of been what they needed or he wasn’t getting much game time because of there other options. You could say that about dozens of players that have left clubs but joined other clubs. Plus he’s only 23 so can still improve a lot.
[/QUOTE
He has openly admitted he didn't apply himself properly back then and has learnt a lot

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Because young players tend to develop as they get older and they develop at different rates/under different conditions? Robben/Sneijder were let go by madrid? It’s not always as simple as you’ve put it.

renatosanches85

What, you mean like Onana? Who they also let go. Casemiro was actually also let go Real, but the bought him back after he improved.

jesperjaap

I think its important that we sign a centre back that can compete with Varane over the next season or two as forgetting the niggling injuries his age in itself means mid term we need to be considering replaceing him, this is why Lindelof simply isnt good enough, he hasnt consistently done anything to show he can do that. With a new signing and Shaw, I dont mind him as 5th choice.....maybe harsh but seems about right to me.

However the narrative (may have come out wrong again) and this isnt personally attackign your comment anyway, as it alludes to cb and cm....that "so and so new signing coul deasily take the place of so and so" I find a bit critical and shiny new toy like.

The partnership between Varane and Martinez was excellent when they played last season, these are two world class defenders....the three we are linked with are all good defenders and all look like they could be a big improvement on Lindelf with a couple having a high ceilign ability wise. The same goes for CM as well....see a lot of comments of "Aramabat probably starts over Casemeiro in certain games and could esily replace him"......he may have tailed off at the end of a long hard season with frustration too from the bans....but again, he was world class, consistently putting in world class performances the first 2/3 of the season and people think the shiny new toy replaces that?

Bar the right back spot, I think our best eleven pretty much on paper picks itself now, further signings strengthen the squad in the right way....higher quality back up that have the right attributes for the role and arent such a big drop off from the first choice players and add good mid term competition for the postions where the first choices are at a certain age.

I am very much still on the fence regarding the Moutn signing, obviously as he hasnt played competitively yet, but also intrigue to see how he is used and performs....but for the frist time in a long time, I am actually fairly happy with our first eleven on paper and satisfied with our squad if we do make a coupeo of additions we are beign linked with....not enough for us to challenge yet.....butplayer wise individually, diversity, age ranges, clearing out deadwood, individual suitabiliy to roles, an actual identity.......I see genuine progress this swindow, not all personally choices I would have made....ut same token I am also glad we have avoided (or maybe missed out) on others such as Kane for example

jesperjaap

Didnt see him last season but I mentioned him alongside Caqueret a couple of seasons ago as beign a good signing.....cant se any truth in this though as Liverpool were linked and was seeing £50-60m as the expecged price.......we arent spening that on one player the remainder of this window.....if he goes on to be half the player his dad was though he will be an excellent one

croadyman

Yeah I was gonna say it didn't help that most of the action went down other side,also agree there was a distinct lack of long passing. He also doesn't seem to keep to compete for the ball in the air either which is concerning. Our scout picked the wrong game unfortunately

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I personally hope we sign him rather than Pavard. Pavard would be a long-term depth signing but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter in a EPL team that wants to play the game in the opponent's half in the mid to long-term. I think we should look to sign a CB who has the physical and athletic abilities to go 1v1 in the channel against the quickest players whilst defending opposition fast breaks/transitions. Pressing man to man is a risk without having a CB who is strong at defending the channel. And unless you play for a team that is the most dominant team in the league where dominating the ball is normal, it would be better to target a 1v1 demon like Todibo in a EPL that is extremely challenging due to the higher technical, physical and tactical levels. Todibo also has good ability on the ball which unfortunately isn't seen as much as I would like due to Nice's disfunctionality when it comes to recruitment which has than had a effect on how they setup on the pitch.

My personal preference would be Ousmane Diomande for next season but between Todibo and Pavard it's Todibo for me. We can sign someone like a Vanderson at RB and have him operating high with Todibo defending the channel in 1v1s. Tapsoba would aldo potentially be a good option. Even Dalot would potentially be helped by having Todibo behind him.

The only thing I feel Todibo needs to improve on is his decision making when trying to win the ball. He seems to want to attack the ball at every opportunity and is so focused on winning the duel, when it would at times seem like it would've been better to just control the space because he has the pace and power to control the situation even by being passive. But that balance between being passive/aggressive should come with time imo.

croadyman

I personally hope we sign him rather than Pavard. Pavard would be a long-term depth signing but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter in a EPL team that wants to play the game in the opponent's half in the mid to long-term. I think we should look to sign a CB who has the physical and athletic abilities to go 1v1 in the channel against the quickest players whilst defending opposition fast breaks/transitions. Pressing man to man is a risk without having a CB who is strong at defending the channel. And unless you play for a team that is the most dominant team in the league where dominating the ball is normal, it would be better to target a 1v1 demon like Todibo in a EPL that is extremely challenging due to the higher technical, physical and tactical levels. Todibo also has good ability on the ball which unfortunately isn't seen as much as I would like due to Nice's disfunctionality when it comes to recruitment which has than had a effect on how they setup on the pitch.

My personal preference would be Ousmane Diomande for next season but between Todibo and Pavard it's Todibo for me. We can sign someone like a Vanderson at RB and have him operating high with Todibo defending the channel in 1v1s. Tapsoba would aldo potentially be a good option.

The only thing I feel Todibo needs to improve on is his decision making when trying to win the ball. He seems to want to attack the ball at every opportunity and is so focused on winning the duel, when it would at times seem like it would've been better to just control the space because he has the pace and power to control the situation even by being passive. But that balance between being passive/aggressive should come with time imo.
So if Diomande is your personal choice then are you saying we should wait until next year to bring in a CB. Personally if that's your choice then why not bring in Pavard now who gives us the experience and flexibility.

Believe me if we get Todibo then there is no chance of that Diomande coming in next summer,however if we got Pavard I think it's still a possibility we could get him.

Last edited: