Jean-Clair Todibo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So if Diomande is your personal choice then are you saying we should wait until next year to bring in a CB. Personally if that's your choice then why not bring in Pavard now who gives us the experience and flexibility
I'm saying if we were to wait until next year, Diomande would be my choice because Diomande likely isn't available for transfer right now. But if Maguire is sold to West Ham in the current window, I would prefer to sign Todibo who I feel would suit us more due to the reasons I've already mentioned.

ErikElevenHag

Sorry but if Todibo wasn't good enough for Barca then how is he good enough for us, he plays in one of the weakest leagues in Europe for an average side, not being negative, just not feeling it for this guy.
Absolutely agreed, still can't believe Liverpool and City were dumb enough to sign Salah and De Bruyne after they weren't good enough at Chelsea.

Terrible strategy.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Chief123

Sorry but if Todibo wasn't good enough for Barca then how is he good enough for us, he plays in one of the weakest leagues in Europe for an average side, not being negative, just not feeling it for this guy.
Strange way to look at it. Lots of big clubs let go of young talent who go on to flourish elsewhere.

El-Manos

Alexis sanchez once played for Barcelona. So did Neymar.. list goes on.

Anustart89

Eh I am a bit confused what you mean
Ball with player out wide on the right wing, CB moves past attackers to receive the ball in the pocket he moved into, outside of the boot pass from the centre half to progress play.

The situations just looked very similar to me, apart from the outcome being very different due to one player looking like a competent passer whereas the other isn't.

croadyman

Ball with player out wide on the right wing, CB moves past attackers to receive the ball in the pocket he moved into, outside of the boot pass from the centre half to progress play.

The situations just looked very similar to me, apart from the outcome being very different due to one player looking like a competent passer whereas the other isn't.
Ah so basically Maguire attempted to make the pass but failed dismally on that score

Dominos

A lot of people underestimate the usefulness of pace in a centre back. A lot of balls played into the channels are 50/50 on whether the attacker or centre back reaches the ball first - when you have a centre back who gets to the ball first consistently the attacking phase never gets to develop in the first place, you can end an attack before it even gets started. When you have a player like Maguire who is 2nd to every 50/50 ball played into space, even if he manages to hold up the attacker once he has the ball, he's failed to stop the attack developing, and he's failed to win possession for us. Often you'll see slow centre backs have to dive in or concede a foul in the channels because they didn't have the pace to get to the ball first, which has a knock on effect of conceding possession or conceding a set piece in a dangerous area.

Last edited:

tenhagsimp

Fabregas was deemed not good enough by Barca, Eto'o was deemed crap by Madrid, etc... so your point is invalid here. Many big clubs let go of younger players only for them to shine at other clubs.

A lot of people underestimate the usefulness of pace in a centre back. A lot of these balls played into the channels are 50/50 on whether the attacker or centre back reaches the ball first - when you have a centre back who gets to the ball first consistently the attacking phase never gets to develop in the first place, you can end an attack before it even gets started. When you have a player like Maguire who is 2nd to every 50/50 ball played into space, even if he manages to hold up the attacker once he has the ball, he's failed to stop the attack developing, and he's failed to win possession for us. Often you'll see slow centre backs have to dive in or concede a foul in the channels because they didn't have the pace to get to the ball first, which has a knock on effect of conceding possession or conceding a set piece in a dangerous area.
Pace is extremely important for CB in the way we wanted to play (high line and high press). You can have a slow CB but he must be absolutely insane in everything (ala Vidic) to work in this setup. Also having a slow CB makes them automatically being targeted by opposition with run behinds.

croadyman

A lot of people underestimate the usefulness of pace in a centre back. A lot of these balls played into the channels are 50/50 on whether the attacker or centre back reaches the ball first - when you have a centre back who gets to the ball first consistently the attacking phase never gets to develop in the first place, you can end an attack before it even gets started. When you have a player like Maguire who is 2nd to every 50/50 ball played into space, even if he manages to hold up the attacker once he has the ball, he's failed to stop the attack developing, and he's failed to win possession for us. Often you'll see slow centre backs have to dive in or concede a foul in the channels because they didn't have the pace to get to the ball first, which has a knock on effect of conceding possession or conceding a set piece in a dangerous area.
Yeah I am starting to see the sense in signing him

Ekeke

Think he's decent, can defend and can play a pass. Young enough to progress and make himself a guaranteed starter

Devil You Know

“Back-up” is not a thing for EtH. He wants proper competition for places.
You want proper competition for places. EtH is very much a manager who has a defined first XI, with backups only playing in case of injury.

Ajax fans complained about it when he was manager, and we saw it ourselves last season. He simply never rotated unless he was forced into it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed.

If your CB loses those duels more often than not where the opponent gets to the ball first, then your whole team has to retreat while the opposition push up as a collective unit. Todibo is also capable on the ball.

croadyman

You want proper competition for places. EtH is very much a manager who has a defined first XI, with backups only playing in case of injury.

Ajax fans complained about it when he was manager, and we saw it ourselves last season. He simply never rotated unless he was forced into it.
So who would get more gametime out of this guy and Pavard then in your opinion

the_cliff

I'm warming to the signing of him over Pavard, he seems to be more comfortable on the ball and has the quick decision making a defender in ETHs system needs. He can handle the opposing teams press well, let's go off the ball early and has good accuracy in his passing.

croadyman

I'm warming to the signing of him over Pavard, he seems to be more comfortable on the ball and has the quick decision making a defender in ETHs system needs. He can handle the opposing teams press well, let's go off the ball early and has good accuracy in his passing.
Feeling exactly the same too

Devil You Know

So who would get more gametime out of this guy and Pavard then in your opinion
Varane.

I haven't got a single post in the Pavard thread because I don't feel as though I'm in a position to comment on him when so many think he's the best thing since sliced bread. I've only watched him very occasionally and always thought he was a weak link. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and he's a brilliant player. The amount of positive comments has me second guessing myself.

But If had to choose between a young player with potential and Pavard, I'd lean more towards the young player. Even if I'm going in relatively blind on both of them, the possibility of unearthing a gem is enticing when compared to a player I simply don't rate.

croadyman

Varane.

I haven't got a single post in the Pavard thread because I don't feel as though I'm in a position to comment on him when so many think he's the best thing since sliced bread. I've only watched him very occasionally and always thought he was a weak link. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and he's a brilliant player. The amount of positive comments has me second guessing myself.

But If had to choose between a young player with potential and Pavard, I'd lean more towards the young player. Even if I'm going in relatively blind on both of them, the possibility of unearthing a gem is enticing when compared to a player I simply don't rate.
I don't think I realised how much Pavard wanted to play as a CB, therefore I find myself swinging more towards signing Todibo now

city-puma

I don't think I realised how much Pavard wanted to play as a CB, therefore I find myself swinging more towards signing Todibo now
What’s the common opinion among Arsenal fans about Willian Gallas? For me, he was just OK playing CB.

Dazzmondo

The French league is not one of the weakest leagues in Europe, it's one of the strongest. Out of 100+ leagues, Ligue 1 is in the top 5/6. They also did a study on most successful Premier League transfers by league and Ligue 1 actually had a higher success rate than any other top league, probably due to a similar play style.

There are loads of very talented young players in the French league, pretty obviously when you look at the quality of the French national team. Todibo joined Barcelona when he was 19 and only got to play 4 times. Nice is the only club where he's had a sustained run of games and he's done well.

Also, have you actually watched him play? Because if not, it's a bit weird to say you're not feeling it.

Redstain

The French league is not one of the weakest leagues in Europe, it's one of the strongest. Out of 100+ leagues, Ligue 1 is in the top 5/6. They also did a study on most successful Premier League transfers by league and Ligue 1 actually had a higher success rate than any other top league, probably due to a similar play style.

There are loads of very talented young players in the French league, pretty obviously when you look at the quality of the French national team. Todibo joined Barcelona when he was 19 and only got to play 4 times. Nice is the only club where he's had a sustained run of games and he's done well.

Also, have you actually watched him play? Because if not, it's a bit weird to say you're not feeling it.
I also don't understand this rhetoric there have been countless successful transfers from ligue 1 into English football. Just seen West Ham make a fortune off one and Guimares of Newcastle walks into every midfield in the league without any hesitation.

I have said from the outset that Todibo should be the clear choice over Pavard. To me its not even worthy of consideration younger, can actually defend and is refined to his position. I know Pavard is favoured for his versatility but that's not exactly what United need. If a right back was needed the club wouldn't waste time renewing two of the present first team players in that position one of them would have been omitted and even then before the summer window opened there was talk of interest in Frimpong.

Dazzmondo

I also don't understand this rhetoric there have been countless successful transfers from ligue 1 into English football. Just seen West Ham make a fortune off one and Guimares of Newcastle walks into every midfield in the league without any hesitation.

I have said from the outset that Todibo should be the clear choice over Pavard. To me its not even worthy of consideration younger, can actually defend and is refined to his position. I know Pavard is favoured for his versatility but that's not exactly what United need. If a right back was needed the club wouldn't waste time renewing two of the present first team players in that position one of them would have been omitted and even then before the summer window opened there was talk of interest in Frimpong.
I personally think rb is an issue that needs to be sorted, but considering Frimpong will have only 1 year left on his contract next season, that seems like an obvious transfer for next year, which makes the Pavard option less appealing. Because of that I'd agree with you that I'd prefer Todibo due to his age, or even Tapsoba who I'm also a fan of.

croadyman

I personally think rb is an issue that needs to be sorted, but considering Frimpong will have only 1 year left on his contract next season, that seems like an obvious transfer for next year, which makes the Pavard option less appealing. Because of that I'd agree with you that I'd prefer Todibo due to his age, or even Tapsoba who I'm also a fan of.
Yeah focus on an attacking RB next year

croadyman

Wish I hadn't just watched that Howson video on Pavard as now I am waivering again

Solo Toure

Yep that looks most likely to be honest. We really need to start looking at the age range of our defence, as most are 25+ and are into or getting into their prime. We need up and coming young stars to take the baton either from our academy or transfers.

Redivy

He is a very good player, the only part of his game I would like him to improve if he was to sign is his aerial ability. I don’t think a future duo of Martinez and Tobido would be good enough in the air. He has the size and athleticism to be good in that department though so I’d like to see him really step up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

He had crap back-up both at Ajax and last season at United though: players that are levels below or don't fit his style at all (or both, for a couple of last season's players). This season is probably the first time in his career that he'll have some quality back-up available, and he certainly does talk about 'the squad' a lot, so I'm curious to see if that will change anything to his approach to rotation.

Bojan Djordjic

Yeah, really physically demanding league and there's a host of top centre backs who have made the leap from Ligue 1 to PL fairly seamlessly including Badiashile, Saliba and Wesley Fofana in recent years.