Jean-Clair Todibo

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We obviously can't do anything until we make a decision with Varane. We've just brought Kambwala into the squad, so there's no space until we sell someone.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am calling it: we are 100% not signing Todibo this January, no matter what happens with Varane or any other player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We would be dumb to let him slip given the obvious advantage we have now dealing with Nice. Get rid of Maguire and Varane, bring in Todibo and at least sort out CB

NewGlory

A bold call; what will you be sacrificing should you be wrong?
Good question. I will sacrifice my right to make any calls on transfers for the next 4 months :cool:

Last edited:

NewGlory

Priority should be a striker. There's also no way Nice let Todibo go before summer as Nice are challenging for top 4 in France.
Yeap, what you said + we have no money and the new management doesn't have time to do any analysis before the window is over. They don't want to spend any money until they are fully confirmed by FA and had a chance to come up with long-term plan.

There are only a handful of players we can make money selling so we can actually do some moves in the Summer. Varane is one of them, and if he is sold - whenever that is, money made will be saved for Summer deals, not now.

All we are going to see in January are cost-cutting departures (Varane unless he agrees to lower wages, same for Casemiro) and maybe some cheap loan. I don't expect ANY deal above 20mil

Mwooyo

Priority should be a striker. There's also no way Nice let Todibo go before summer as Nice are challenging for top 4 in France.
Agreed, we always forget our priorities and go gang-ho before realizing we bought wrong. To me order is ST(maybe Ivan Toney, gift orban is a cheaper riskier option), RW(maybe Olise), CB (Todibo)

Last edited:

RedUnited86

Imagine running the club into the ground to the extent you can't even afford to buy Todibo for £30 million.

Sell Rashford to PSG in the summer. That'll ease FFP a fair bit.

Litch

No point bringing anyone in at the moment unless Sir Jim comes out stating EtH is staying irrespective of the results for the rest of the season.

cyberman

Media have been so far wrong about our ffp this year that it’s staggering anyone here is still listening to them

Dan_F

How on earth can Chelsea still make transfers and United are completely stuck with FFP?
We gave them £50 million for an academy product, which gives them a huge amount of leeway this year. Todibo at £50 million on a five year contract would only cost £10 million this season in FFP terms.

It will catch up with them, but not while they can keep shifting academy products.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We can't afford to buy anyone in our current FFP position. Don't know why this is a surprise to anyone.

croadyman

Imagine running the club into the ground to the extent you can't even afford to buy Todibo for £30 million.

Sell Rashford to PSG in the summer. That'll ease FFP a fair bit.
Would happily see Rashford go to PSG

marktan

Hmm I've just realised we now have a feeder affiliate club in Nice like a lot of other PL teams do. Didn't like it for other teams don't really like it for us either, an unfair advantage.

Also CB would be down the list of my priorities. We need a good wide forward, two if we're being honest. A ball playing CM.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why are Chelsea trying to buy yet another defender? Didn’t they buy about 5 in the summer :lol:

Zed is not dead

People here are really building Todibo up and will be disappointed if they think he’s a defender we need to get to sort out our defence or that he’ll be a sure thing.

While he is good, he is not THAT good. Or at least not yet.

AFC NimbleThumb

How on earth can Chelsea still make transfers and United are completely stuck with FFP?
United signing academy product Mason Mount for £55mil which can be banked as pure profit doesn’t help.

Largest issue we have with FFP is totally how we absolutely torpedo player values & can’t sell them for much.

ShR could help slightly up to £90mil I believe in this area.

Redivy

People here are really building Todibo up and will be disappointed if they think he’s a defender we need to get to sort out our defence or that he’ll be a sure thing.

I agree, albeit I do want us to sign Todibo.

I just think he lost some developmental time in his late teens/early twenties as he wasnt a regular for Barca, and didnt really play for Schalke or Benfica. He has the same strengths as Martinez with his passing and his anticipation which can help him make crucial stops, but I've seen him look physically weak on quite few occasions. It would be very similar to Ajax 2021-22 when they played with two proactive defenders in Martinez and Timber, whether this could be successful in the PL is another question though.

Personally I would want us to sign him, as long as we could get in another defender with a different profile too.

We should be signing one of the below defenders:

Todibo
Tapsoba
Scalvini

And then one of the below here:
Silva
Diomonde
Pavlovic

Red_Orchestra

So how is this transfer going to work? Ineos are in charge of Nice, so they would be essentially negotiating with themselves?

So we can potentially buy Todibo and Thuram for £80m? Are there any laws against this?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

You are right that he is not that good. On top of that, his heading ability is mediocre, i.e. with me being generous. We cannot pair him with either Martinez or Lindelof with his heading skills. Like the them, he would need someone with Varane's or Maguire ability in the air.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This FFP thing seems to be a great excuse not to spend considering what Chelsea and City are doing

Bondi77

We signed a youngster not that long ago from France with a big reputation as a teenager and he recently made his debut and looked good in the process so I am looking forward to him staking a place as a regular first team spot...bizarre though that may seem??

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This FFP thing seems to be a great excuse not to spend considering what Chelsea and City are doing
Well, no. Because they are selling players with book value zero. When Chelsea sell a player like Mount for £55 mill that is a pure profit of £55 mill. When they buy a player like Enzo for £120 mill and depreciate him over 10 years, that is a cost of £12 mill. So, not including wages, in this years financial account they can buy four, almost five Enzos, for one Mount.

And Chelsea have sold alot of players with low book value. We dont.

aeh1991

Well, no. Because they are selling players with book value zero. When Chelsea sell a player like Mount for £55 mill that is a pure profit of £55 mill. When they buy a player like Enzo for £120 mill and depreciate him over 10 years, that is a cost of £12 mill. So, not including wages, in this years financial account they can buy four, almost five Enzos, for one Mount.

And Chelsea have sold alot of players with low book value. We dont.
Yeah. We basically helped them fund their 100m transfers by spending 55m on Mount whose contract was about to expire next summer...

Ekeke

True 1 player sorting out 2 CB spots would be hard. But Maguire has been good too so if he came back playing well then yes they could sort out our defence. Or the ideal being Lisandro comes back and plays like last season or better - as I think we got some glimpses of his full ability but think he could be even better

userman

They churn out academy players and sell them for decent sums
I would actually claim that also we are getting increasingly better in doing this, the sales of Elanga (17.5m eur), Henderson (17.5m eur), Garner (10m eur) and Pereira (10m eur) the previous two summer windows are key enablers for our spending I would argue. A shame that the money hasn't been spent better though..
McTominay, Mejbri and Fernandez might be next up in terms of "academy-sales".

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I believe those 8 years long contract they have been giving out to everyone, plus they’ve made a deal with Saudi buying all their deadwood’s last summer, done the tricks.

El Jefe

Once a potential signing builds steam on here, there’s nothing you can do to stop the train, posters will view the player and signing as a must going off very little. We saw this in the summer with Amrabat, you would have thought he was Makelele 2.0 the way United fans on here and all over social media were clamouring for his signing.

I get it with players like Kane who play in the PL or even players in foreign leagues but with a lot of exposure like Sancho, De Jong, etc but with players with a lesser known profile it’s never made sense to me.

I’ve watched him a bit and from what I’ve seen he doesn’t merit the fanfare that seems to be building. Not saying he isn’t a good defender but that’s all he is to me a good defender I don’t see an outstanding player there.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Was he identified by ten hag or our scouting team? If the former, then we absolutely must not get him.

Rojofiam

I'd definitely take Todibo, as we are in dire need of a new RCB, and I believe he would be our 2nd best ball-player CB behind Martínez...however, long-term, I'd still want someone that's faster, a bigger physical presence, and a better athlete at the back, so someone who has the strengths of van Dijk and Saliba..but Todibo can of course become a quality RCB even if I'm right and he doesn't have all-timer potential. And we'll need depth.

Apokalips

Once a potential signing builds steam on here, there’s nothing you can do to stop the train, posters will view the player and signing as a must going off very little. We saw this in the summer with Amrabat, you would have thought he was Makelele 2.0 the way United fans on here and all over social media were clamouring for his signing.

I get it with players like Kane who play in the PL or even players in foreign leagues but with a lot of exposure like Sancho, De Jong, etc but with players with a lesser known profile it’s never made sense to me.

I’ve watched him a bit and from what I’ve seen he doesn’t merit the fanfare that seems to be building. Not saying he isn’t a good defender but that’s all he is to me a good defender I don’t see an outstanding player there.
Happens across every fanbase, hence the "announce xyz" memes. It is really fascinating and weird.

I remember Arsenal fans acting like Mustafi was prime Maldini and getting irate that he hadn't been signed up yet, only for them to see he was trash. I really did not understand the hype with Amrabat in the summer, it happens with pretty much all signings except ones that fans actually know a bit more about like Mason Mount.