Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Love if you guys buy him if only so I can actually see the dude play. I've honestly never seen a single match of him. I can't even say with certainty what club he plays for (all these German midtable teams sound the same to me) is it Leverkusen? Gladbach? Werder Bremen? No it's definitely not Werder.

edit: Leverkusen it is.
Blasphemy!

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Antony is not slow either. Not blistering rapid like Rash, but he can move on the counter imo.
Antony can move with decent pace, agree. With the ball, not so much, he’s a terrible ball carrier.

zaafi

Antony can move with decent pace, agree. With the ball, not so much, he’s a terrible ball carrier.
What? He's a good ball carrier, just not when it comes to actually beating his man around the opposition'a box.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
What? He's a good ball carrier, just not when it comes to actually beating his man around the opposition'a box.
No, he loses 50% of his pace when carrying the ball, like say on a counter. Unlike say Giggs where you felt he almost got faster when running with the ball.

zaafi

No, he loses 50% of his pace when carrying the ball, like say on a counter. Unlike say Giggs where you felt he almost got faster when running with the ball.
You can be a good ball carrier and not be particularly quick. Look at Grealish. I do agree he slows down when attacking and especially bad when it comes to counters, though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Out of curiosity, have you ever watched Martinez play?
I've watched him every match, rarely winning any headers and us generally being extremely poor at defending high balls into the box.

I've watched him win less aerial duels than 89% of centre backs and win them at a worse rate than 83% of them.

Have you ever actually watched him play?

Ahh right because being in the bottom 11% for winning aerials means he is actually amazing in the air. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Questions about Martinez aside, it's worth bearing in mind that aerial duels are a particularly flawed stat. I'd be wary of placing too much stock in them alone.

zaafi

Questions about Martinez aside, it's worth bearing in mind that aerial duels are a particularly flawed stat. I'd be wary of placing too much stock in them.
Exactly. Aerial duels say nothing about what happens next either. The ball could literally hit your head and go out for a throw-in and you still get credit for winning it.
You also get credit for winning the duel if you win a foul, even if the fouled didn't actually win the aerial duel. It's just an odd stat. Maguire wins a lot of aerial duels, but it doesn't help when he heads it right into the feet of an attacker to get a shot off.

Kag

I've watched him every match, rarely winning any headers and us generally being extremely poor at defending high balls into the box.

I've watched him win less aerial duels than 89% of centre backs and win them at a worse rate than 83% of them.

Have you ever actually watched him play?

Ahh right because being in the bottom 11% for winning aerials means he is actually amazing in the air. :lol:
I do. Martinez defends balls into the box very well. He’s also very clever in aerial duels and his height isn’t remotely an issue.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

It’s easy to see why we are so interested in him. This guy joining the rush as an inverting winger — with Antony drawing attention wide at RW, would be a real threat. We are so good finding those area passes behind the D line.

Think he would give us a whole new dimension offensively.

croadyman

It’s easy to see why we are so interested in him. This guy joining the rush as an inverting winger — with Antony drawing attention wide at RW, would be a real threat. We are so good finding those area passes behind the D line.

Yeah hope those two get to link up

Chairman Steve

You know that Dalot goal against Forest on the weekend? I can see that happening a lot more regularly with Frimpong on the team.

Dannn411

Would be a great wing back. Don't think he would be good in a back 4 because of his defensive deficiencies. So could be a good signing to provide tactical flexibility when needed. I was hoping we would target a proper right back that can go forward and defend just as well in a back 4 given that is the team's base formation. Someone like Vanderson or KWP for example.

Also don't think he is worth anywhere near €50m. That is a joke valuation.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not as good as AWB or Dalot.
Beware of players that look fast in shit leagues...it isn't real :nono:
Yeah, 36 km/h running speed is just 30 km/h in the EPL. Basic physics folks

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, 36 km/h running speed is just 30 km/h in the EPL. Basic physics folks
Typically players are 33% as effective in the PL than when they were in the Bundesliga so we can actually expect him to run at 11.88 km/h which is not fast enough for a human let alone a PL fullback. Do not want.

marktan

We should be looking at better options for our midfield than some Arsenal reject.

dutchred

If we go for a new right back, Mazaroui would be best. He is unhappy at Bayern, knows Ten Haag and had a great partnership with Antony at Ajax

NoPace

Ten Hag clearly rates Shaw defensively to use him at LCB, so it makes sense to have an attacker on the right:

Rashford---------#9-----------------------------------
--------------------------Bruno--------------Antony
---------------Eriksen-------------------------------------
-----------------Casemiro---------------Frimpong
----Shaw---Lisandro----Varane---------------

is how it might look a lot a lot of the time, and we play mostly on the right and look to switch it left to let Rashford finish off attacks.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Ten Hag clearly rates Shaw defensively to use him at LCB, so it makes sense to have an attacker on the right:

is how it might look a lot a lot of the time, and we play mostly on the right and look to switch it left to let Rashford finish off attacks.
I love how fluid we are under ETH, even more so than Pep's team when it comes to changing roles. The last City game in the PL, it was remarkable how deep their wingers came at times, almost looked like this most of the time with KDB ("AMC") popping up whereever he could find open grass:
------------------------ST----------------------------
--------------LB-----MC------RB-------(AMC)
----------------------DMC-------------------------
LW--------------------------------------------RW
-------------------CB------CB---------------------

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

How about a swap Sancho for Frimpong? :cool:

Andersons Dietician

Noticed ETH seems to have our fullbacks come central a lot recently and where I think Shaw can do that and excell no bother, Bissaka and Dalot aren’t as good on the ball. Both have done alright doing it but they just don’t have that composure under preasure or ability to find a pass like Shaw would.

So given ETH seems to be favouring this, how is Frimpong if he is asked to come inside to midfield with Cas and pop passes about or is he just a speed merchant that has no buisness in central areas?

CM

The attacking side of his game looks good but what's the defensive side like? I'd be a bit concerned about bringing a diminutive player into a backline that is already quite small. It's not just that he's small either, he also looks slight.

I think he'd be great as a Malacia type rotation option for the right but that's not really what we're looking for, and it doesn't sound like that's the type of price range he'll be in either. We need a definitive upgrade on Dalot and Wan-Bissaka if we're shopping for a right back and preferably for a modest price given there are 4 or 5 other positions that take precedence over this one.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Noticed ETH seems to have our fullbacks come central a lot recently and where I think Shaw can do that and excell no bother, Bissaka and Dalot aren’t as good on the ball. Both have done alright doing it but they just don’t have that composure under preasure or ability to find a pass like Shaw would.

So given ETH seems to be favouring this, how is Frimpong if he is asked to come inside to midfield with Cas and pop passes about or is he just a speed merchant that has no buisness in central areas?
He won't be playing like Cancelo or TAA in some sort of CM role but Alonso generally asks his fullbacks to make central runs quite often. On the other flank we have Bakker and Alonso publicly demanded that he makes more runs into the box. Both during counters and in possession in the final third, the fullbacks are often more central than the attackers but it sort of depends on the situation. In general they interchange quite a bit and can be found in central areas often.

The attacking side of his game looks good but what's the defensive side like? I'd be a bit concerned about bringing a diminutive player into a backline that is already quite small. It's not just that he's small either, he also looks slight.

I think he'd be great as a Malacia type rotation option for the right but that's not really what we're looking for, and it doesn't sound like that's the type of price range he'll be in either. We need a definitive upgrade on Dalot and Wan-Bissaka if we're shopping for a right back and preferably for a modest price given there are 4 or 5 other positions that take precedence over this one.
I think it's down to stereotypes that people keep saying he's bad defensively. As in "he's great at attacking but small so he has to be a bad defender". When we lose the ball on the break the right side is sometimes open but that's down to the system, not him. If anything, his pace allows him to track back faster than almost all other FBs. He's obviously not the "shoulder to shoulder" or "I just run through you and get the ball" type of defender. In general he's a RB that's very hard to beat in a 1 on 1 because he's extremely agile, has great recovery speed if a body feint is successful and he stays on his feed all the time.

Don't know if people in here will like his defending style because I've got the feeling that there's style a strong preference of very physical footballers among English fans but I'd say he's a very effective defender.

zaafi

Your love for Sancho is almost frightening. The guy hasnt done anything for the past 2 years and you want to swap our (arguably) best player this season for him.
He had extreme numbers for Dortmund and borderline world class, if not world class. I could see him bonding with Wirtz forming a great partnership. His confidence is ruined and playing in Premier League he's clearly struggling. I think going back to Bundesliga would be good for him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Although we do need a RB this shouldn’t be our priority. I’ll be annoyed if we start spending money on other players that aren’t a ST. We need a ST first. We always get other players and then when it comes to getting a ST we won’t pay because the excuse will be we don’t have enough budget left.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Although we do need a RB this shouldn’t be our priority. I’ll be annoyed if we start spending money on other players that aren’t a ST. We need a ST first. We always get other players and then when it comes to getting a ST we won’t pay because the excuse will be we don’t have enough budget left.
You know we can sign more than one player in a window right?

CM

I think it's down to stereotypes that people keep saying he's bad defensively. As in "he's great at attacking but small so he has to be a bad defender". When we lose the ball on the break the right side is sometimes open but that's down to the system, not him. If anything, his pace allows him to track back faster than almost all other FBs. He's obviously not the "shoulder to shoulder" or "I just run through you and get the ball" type of defender. In general he's a RB that's very hard to beat in a 1 on 1 because he's extremely agile, has great recovery speed if a body feint is successful and he stays on his feed all the time.

Don't know if people in here will like his defending style because I've got the feeling that there's style a strong preference of very physical footballers among English fans but I'd say he's a very effective defender.
I wasn't saying that he can't be a good defender due to being small, but we already have Lisandro Martinez in our defence and he will be a mainstay. When it comes to defending set pieces and crosses you need a bit of height in the team and we're sometimes lacking in that department already.

If we had a robust defence around him I wouldn't be so reticent, but I'm just imagining now how fragile we'd look at the back if we ever had to start Frimpong, Martinez and Malacia together in the same back four. It's such an easy thing for opposition teams to target in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.