Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Yep, noticed by others:

I don't think I've ever seen a protest that they didn't turn up to though, and there were plenty of Labour supporters there too.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did Corbyn not want to leave for ages? Labour seriously need to sort themselves out, otherwise your options in the next election are: right wing conservatives, unreasonably right wing UKIP, pointless green and lib dems and a Labour Party that don't really seem to know what their followers want or what they want.
That said if Boris takes over we might all be dead well before the next election.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Fair points. My issue with having a go at him for the EU campaign is this:

Boris' crew had the advantage of selling a dream, and having an "incumbent" to criticise.

My issue with Corbyn being criticised for not being 100% happy with the EU is - who would it convince? Anyone who already thinks that is going to be voting Remain anyway.

Then you have the people who've seen years (decades?) of headlines criticising the EU. Politicians blaming it for their own failures when it suits (i.e. Tory immigration promises).

So Corbyn comes out and says "The EU is GREAT! I'd give it 10/10". Who is that going to convert? It didn't work for Cameron.

Besides that, Boris crew didn't need a party leader to deliver a win so these Labour MPs having a go at Corbyn should probably have a look at themselves too. Hodge's own constituency couldn't deliver a Remain vote. She should hold a lot of the blame for that, she's their MP.
Yes you're right, it's always more attractive to be selling something new (especially when you don't have to give any detailed description of how it would work). I like your way of thinking about it.

We all know that many Labour MPs have been waiting for something to hang their discontent upon - this gives them the opportunity. This extraordinary (and quite vitriolic) isolation of Corbyn is about more than the referendum result. Trouble is, grassroots support alone won't enable him to do his job on a day-to-day basis - he needs his MPs behind him for that.

Xeno

And if Corbyn is booted out I'm done with the party, so one of us is going to be pissed off :lol:
Not seen your previous posts so apologies if you've answered. Do you think Corbyn could win next GE? What about if there is a snap GE before A50 button pressed? I think neither.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Will have to wait for papers tonight to see the evidence, but if true the guy should not be allowed on the ballot paper.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Out of interest, how come?
Several reasons, but unlike @Penna I actually feel his presentational and oratorical skills are sorely lacking. I don't want Blair Mark II, but he borders on the soporific. It shouldn't matter, but it does, especially as when I have gone door to door, people cannot name his policies. This is in part to do with what comes across as a lack of message discipline, and actually getting his message across to members and voters. Second, he (and his team) sorely lack strategy. Why fight the party on Trident immediately? People do not care day to day about this. They care about their economic wellbeing. Now of course there is a connection, but much better to get the economic message clear first, make ground there and then fight an internal battle on Trident. Not only would it be much harder to oppose then, the connection between the saved money and the economic policies would be much better to make. Third, he hasn't yet shown that he can win the support of voters beyond a core rump support. The Council Elections were on the whole positive, but with some worrying trends and indicators. Now I was (and am) willing to give him more time, especially as the next GE is in 2020, but the thought of a snap election concerns me greatly and brings to the fore my worries that he never will be able to win these voters around, and that the worrying trends from the Council elections will be accentuated. That's some of them, and I appreciate the alternative pro-Corbyn arguments too.

And if Corbyn is booted out I'm done with the party, so one of us is going to be pissed off :lol:
I don't think that he will be, to be honest, and I won't leave if he stays either. I don't like the idea of abandoning a movement I actually believe in (not least because I am a trade unionist too).

Madthinker

Don't know how much truth is in this
but if it true than this idea that Corbyn failed on the Eu Referendum is well shite. Although should state I don't how true it is.
The numbers are legit, but overlooks the point that Labour voters were expected to be far more averse to leaving than population as a whole.

Frosty

Do you think Corbyn runs his own social media accounts?
Of course not, but I would have given his team some credit here. If he voted Leave, then how on earth have the papers got evidence of this in a secret ballot? Someone must have talked. Either Corbyn, or one of his SPADs. It just would beggar belief. I could not foresee them taking the risk of stating that he voted Remain if it wasd obvious (and there was evidence) that he did the opposite...

Boycott

How on earth can you prove that allegation when it's an anonymous ballot??

Shamwow

How on earth can you prove that allegation when it's an anonymous ballot??
I doubt they can but if you keep bombarding someone with allegations then people start thinking that there can't be any smoke without fire. Cynical tactics are at play.

Frosty

http://www.politico.eu/article/insi...my-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-resignations-brexit/

Ian Murray, Edinburgh South

“It’s not about you Jeremy. You’re not just letting the party down, but the whole country.”

Bridget Phillipson, Houghton and Sunderland South

“You’re not fit to be prime minister and you’ve got to resign.”

Alan Johnson, West Hull and Hessle and leader of the Labour In campaign

“I fought the [EU referendum] campaign and I take my responsibility, but you’ve got to take yours. Your office did not even turn up for the weekly meetings.”

Helen Goodman, Bishop Auckland

“You just don’t get it on immigration. You’ve got John McDonnell there in the background like Marc Antony.”

Clive Efford, Eltham

“I gave you the benefit of the doubt. It’s not about yourself Jeremy but you’re not a prime minister and you’re not electable.”

Chris Matheson, Chester

“You’ve got to step down.”

Chris Bryant, Rhonda

“You’re not uniting the party. You’ve got no vision. The only person who can break this logjam is you by resigning.”

Ivan Lewis, Bury South

“It’s time to be honest with yourself. You’re not a leader. You need to go for the sake of the party.”

Margaret Hodge, Barking & Dagenham

“At this moment of grave danger, we simply cannot allow the party to flounder, become utterly irrelevant to the political debate and disintegrate into a second-rate pressure group. Make no mistake — unless we listen to our voters, our party faces political oblivion.”

Shamwow

Margaret Hodge, Barking & Dagenham

“At this moment of grave danger, we simply cannot allow the party to flounder, become utterly irrelevant to the political debate and disintegrate into a second-rate pressure group. Make no mistake — unless we listen to our voters, our party faces political oblivion.
They've failed miserably at listening to their voters and membership every time we've given them the slightest of opportunity in recent years.

She personally is even more of a failure. She nominated Corbyn, because she wanted to "widen the debate" without actually nominating a lefty who had a chance of winning. She can't even listen to her own fecking members.

What gives her the right to lecture Corbyn about that?

Classical Mechanic

Of course not, but I would have given his team some credit here. If he voted Leave, then how on earth have the papers got evidence of this in a secret ballot? Someone must have talked. Either Corbyn, or one of his SPADs. It just would beggar belief. I could not foresee them taking the risk of stating that he voted Remain if it wasd obvious (and there was evidence) that he did the opposite...
Technically his twitter only implies that he voted Remain, it could be his big red bus, you know.

Sigma

Don't know how much truth is in this
but if it true than this idea that Corbyn failed on the Eu Referendum is well shite. Although should state I don't how true it is.
The weird thing about that, 4% of UKIP voted to remain. 4% of the United Kingdom Independence Party voted to remain. :lol:

Shamwow

When will Corbyn accept that his performance for England tonight simply wasn't good enough and he has to go?

montpelier

I can only believe that Corbyn is trying to wreck the Labour Party to the point where they have to start again. If he can win this leadership battle. Even then though, I can't see how he / they do that. Huge amount of de-selections to existing MPs?

If he resigns (eventually) does Jeremy go away from Labour as it then is, and see who he can take with him, how many of them.

No opposition to the Tories going forward, really don't think the Conservatives will fragment whatever happens. Maybe Labour need to.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Who gets the party machine and name, though?
Not sure I admit. Last time round the centrists did, and managed to boot out militant tendency and the like, but the attraction of millions of ordinary centrist votes means they just wait their chance and come back again.
I'd be happy to see a new centre-left party, it wouldn't win power overnight but it would give voters an honest choice.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I think his policies are the correct answers but he can't sell them to the wider public ss he hasn't the personality.

Those who are attacking Corbyn want a harder line on immigration even though they know it's not immigration that is making those out voters in the north angry. We can't pander to their bigotry

I think he needs to go, but I hope it doesn't empower the latter group of feckwits

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think his policies are the correct answers but he can't sell them to the wider public ss he hasn't the personality.

Those who are attacking Corbyn want a harder line on immigration even though they know it's not immigration that is making those out voters in the north angry. We can't pander to their bigotry

I think he needs to go, but I hope it doesn't empower the latter group of feckwits
It kind of is, though. I'm sure some are just anti-establishment and are tired of Labour, but I'd imagine a considerable number of those who went UKIP in 2015 and voted Out have some fears regarding immigration. Telling them that they don't is unlikely to sway them.

I'm not sure that those who want Corbyn out want a much harsher stance on immigration, though, which is why I think attempts to replace him largely on the basis of the Northern vote are quite misguided.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
It kind of is, though. I'm sure some are just anti-establishment and are tired of Labour, but I'd imagine a considerable number of those who went UKIP in 2015 and voted Out have some fears regarding immigration. Telling them that they don't is unlikely to sway them.

I'm not sure that those who want Corbyn out want a much harsher stance on immigration, though, which is why I think attempts to replace him largely on the basis of the Northern vote are quite misguided.
They list problems in their lives, infrequent work, poor public services, shitty welfare and then instead of blaming Westminster they blame migrants. I recognise they have fears on migration, but it is irrational, I don't think going hard on migration will solve their problems

I saw on newsnight a labour MP says Corbyn doesn't get it on migration, I.e. he's got the wrong policy on them. I heard a snippet of John Mann on the radio saying something similar

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They list problems in their lives, infrequent work, poor public services, shitty welfare and then instead of blaming Westminster they blame migrants. I recognise they have fears on migration, but it is irrational, I don't think going hard on migration will solve their problems

I saw on newsnight a labour MP says Corbyn doesn't get it on migration, I.e. he's got the wrong policy on them. I heard a snippet of John Mann on the radio saying something similar
This is true, the trouble is that you can't fix any of this unless you're in government, and it's going to get even harder for Labour to win support, particularly in the north with UKIP sprouting roots and fanning flames, by merely explaining to voters that they're wrong about immigration.

I also think it would be disastrous for Labour to adopt tough rhetoric on it, given that the EEA is looking like our main hope of keeping the economy from going under, and the party shouldn't be engaging in the kind of bait and switch that Vote Leave pulled. There'd be genuine danger of the north going the way of Scotland, but this time with nationalists from the right sweeping up the rewards.

I still think the fears on immigration can be trumped - at least temporarily - if the leader is a believable PM, is trusted on the economy and defence, and looks like they understand the issues faced. Jarvis ticks all those boxes but I'm not sure he's the right candidate to unite the party at the moment.

Shamwow

Will have to wait for papers tonight to see the evidence, but if true the guy should not be allowed on the ballot paper.
:lol: The evidence turned out to be some completely random bloke who said Corbyn told him in a restaurant. What a twat George Eaton is.