Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Union leaders now meeting, apparently.

Drifter

American
Momentum seems to be doing just that. Had to postpone meeting due to overwhelming demand.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think the unions are going to drop their support for Corbyn soon. Then we can hopefully all get on with what we should be doing as a party.

Kaos

Corbyn should offer to step down after Chilcot is released. Would be interesting to gauge some of the responses in the PLP.

Ubik

I think the unions are going to drop their support for Corbyn soon. Then we can hopefully all get on with what we should be doing as a party.
You'd hope. I have zero faith in McCluskey to put the future of the party above his own re-election hopes, though.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
No chance that going to happen either way. If Corbyn doesn't run then people will just leave the party and maybe more importantly he's the guy the Unions are backing, so they can't afford a loss, well they can but this would be a big one. And then after this mess the PLP(Most those on the right) will try their best to get the weakest left candidate possible.

Although that's my guess anyway.
If he stands down now then there is still a chance of getting a candidate to run that the membership (and maybe even Corbyn himself) will support. The unions will go along with that. Not that I have any idea who that candidate may be.

The alternative is as I said Corbyn vs the "Unity" candidate, which will be so polarising and will tear the party apart. We don't know what will happen with the infrastructure of the party if there is a split and who will keep what but I'd imagine that the establishment will be able to play it better than Corbyn.

I won't forgive what has happened over the past few days but frankly it's clear to me now that they've won the battle and we have to accept that and adapt.

Shamwow

I heard an interview from her, she was backing Corbyn the other day saying that she hadn't looked at the evidence. The interviewer said "perhaps you should ask him how he voted", she replied "perhaps I will".

Now she's resigned...
That won't be the reason, not buying into silly speculation like that. She was already struggling to cope with the pressure, said yesterday that she wouldn't be running in the GE and that she's been receiving death threats because of the EU referendum. Add all this craziness to that and I wouldn't blame her for wanting to pack it all in.

I just think the gravity of the situation has forced her hand. I feel for her.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ed Miliband has called for him to quit.
The Blairite conspiracy has already been debunked.
He has to go.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This time last election cycle, wasnt miliband laying out an alternative proposal to every conservative idea.

I'm not sure I could name a single labour proposal right now
Renationalisation of railway franchises as they come up for renewal.
Removal of benefit cap and an end to the bedroom tax.
The construction of more council houses.
Supported Merkel's approach to the migrant crisis. More recently, called for the UK to host child refugees.
Unmanaged immigration.
Increases to the minimum wage in excess of current proposals.

Those are several which immediately spring to mind. At least i think those have been stated as policies, and not merely the view of Corbyn himself.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I wouldn't bet on it. Corbyn is their candidate, they'll be happy to give him a new mandate (and he will win, undoubtedly).

Spectator said:
After a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn passed at 172 votes to 40, a Labour leadership election looks on the cards. With Corbyn vowing to stand again, his opponents hope that — post-Brexit — a high enough proportion of the membership will choose to oust him.

Yet in a sign that a lot of the grassroots support remains for Corbyn, the trade unions are preparing to stand by their man. After the vote results were announced on Tuesday, Len McCluskey told MPs that if they wish to contest a Labour leadership, it must be done ‘democratically through an election, not through resignations and pointless posturing’. He warned that ‘Jeremy Corbyn’s supporters throughout the movement will be ready for it’.

Ubik

Didn't they just come out in support of him a few days ago?
Before the no confidence motion, before it was clear that Corbyn can't actually fill a shadow cabinet let alone front bench, before council leaders came out saying he should resign, before previous leaders called on him to resign, and before it became clear that Corbyn is quite willing to take the party down with him.

And given that Tom Watson and Angela Eagle actually have closer ties to the unions than Corbyn does, it's hard to believe they're actually keen for him to stay on.

But as I mentioned earlier, some of them have elections coming up themselves.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Considering that Gisela Stuart is likely to play some part in future EU negotiations (and came out of the EURef campaign fairly well i thought), it will be interesting to see if any of eventual candidates seek her support.

Dobba

Corbyn should offer to step down after Chilcot is released. Would be interesting to gauge some of the responses in the PLP.
Oh my. As much as I'd love him to stay as leader, that would be sublime.

I don't think Gisela Stuart is Tory-lite enough. Yes she was pro-Iraq and against an investigation into it but her voting record on welfare in recent years does include her trying to do something to help so they'll be concerned about that.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

If he stands down now then there is still a chance of getting a candidate to run that the membership (and maybe even Corbyn himself) will support. The unions will go along with that. Not that I have any idea who that candidate may be.

The alternative is as I said Corbyn vs the "Unity" candidate, which will be so polarising and will tear the party apart. We don't know what will happen with the infrastructure of the party if there is a split and who will keep what but I'd imagine that the establishment will be able to play it better than Corbyn.

I won't forgive what has happened over the past few days but frankly it's clear to me now that they've won the battle and we have to accept that and adapt.
I think Owen Jones mentioned something similar recently and I guess it could work although isn't there the chance it will just be Corbyn 2.0, in that the center and the right of the party will go along with whoever the candidate is for a period of time but at the first sign of ''failure'' they will just repeat the same acts we are seeing now. Ok maybe not to the same extremes but they will certainly try to undermine the candidate again and again and again.

As for the potential spilt I agree with you , if Corbyn stay it's almost inevitable. And as you've said the chances are the establishment will be able to play it better than Corbyn(Even as someone who voted for Corbyn and will do again in the leadership race should it happen, he's really shite at ''playing the game''). But at the same time the Labour Party is now so wide in it's political spectrum that's this was almost bound to happen at some stage. The only reason I can think of as to why The Labour Party has such a wide spectrum is because of our voting system, really there's no reason why people like Hilary Benn and Corbyn should ever be in the same political party.

Still this may all be pointless if the Unions stop backing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sorry if this is a naive question but: why are some MPs (seemingly) afraid of what the Chilcot Report might contain?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Sorry if this is a naive question but: why are some MPs (seemingly) afraid of what the Chilcot Report might contain?
Some of them will have been part of the government at the time. Those who held positions at the Treasury, the MoD and FCO, could well be linked with (although not accused directly) serious errors or wrongdoing.

Shamwow

Many of them also voted against the inquiry so will be accused of attempting a cover up if it comes out with anything particularly damning.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Before the no confidence motion, before it was clear that Corbyn can't actually fill a shadow cabinet let alone front bench, before council leaders came out saying he should resign, before previous leaders called on him to resign, and before it became clear that Corbyn is quite willing to take the party down with him.

And given that Tom Watson and Angela Eagle actually have closer ties to the unions than Corbyn does, it's hard to believe they're actually keen for him to stay on.

But as I mentioned earlier, some of them have elections coming up themselves.
"It is reported by Robert Peston from ITV News that 13,000 people have joined Labour in a week and 60 per cent of them giving the reason for signing up as "supporting Corbyn"."

I think he enjoys a good support from grassroot populace, youth and Unions. Labour should avoid a situation where their leadership is out of sync with the supporters too. But imo he should go. With failure to deliver on Remain, a new leadership will benefit the party overall more. It should be voluntary and not a coup.

Classical Mechanic

"It is reported by Robert Peston from ITV News that 13,000 people have joined Labour in a week and 60 per cent of them giving the reason for signing up as "supporting Corbyn"."

I think he enjoys a good support from grassroot populace, youth and Unions. Labour should avoid a situation where their leadership is out of sync with the supporters too. But imo he should go. With failure to deliver on Remain, a new leadership will benefit the party overall more. It should be voluntary and not a coup.
The other 40% 'get rid of Corbyn'?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Oh my. As much as I'd love him to stay as leader, that would be sublime.

I don't think Gisela Stuart is Tory-lite enough. Yes she was pro-Iraq and against an investigation into it but her voting record on welfare in recent years does include her trying to do something to help so they'll be concerned about that.
Why exactly do you want him to stay? Labour are pretty much a non-entity with him at the helm.