4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Exactly, pogba is clearly the best back up for bruno and in fact that position probably suits him better than either of the ones we normally play him in.

Jesse did well for west ham in a similar position to bruno but they played a very counter attacking style that just isn't an option for united most of the time. I also suspect he would struggle to replicate that form over the course of a season, particularly thinking back to his goal/assist stats for the his last few seasons at united
He struggled to replicate his early form even over the course of his loan at West Ham. For all his attributes Jesse has always been wildly inconsistent.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My comments are precisely because I am a united fan...not a Lingard fan...I would want to see any player who has either come through the academy or joined the club given a fair shot to prove they are proper Utd players. However, if they don’t prove it I would rather see the next in line get their proper shot instead of having their paths blocked by persisting with other players based on sentiment. Remember the way Ferguson shipped out players regardless of stature or sentiment...the class of 92 displaced some formidable names...it was time to move on and Ferguson knew it. Ole needs to be more ruthless if the benefits of our huge recent investment in youth is to be maximised.
Ever think for a second that the youth is not quite ready?

Sting

I don’t understand why some of you would get wound up because Lingard scored a couple of goals for England. He’s our player for the next 6 months at least, the fact that he’s in good form and ready to step in when called up on is a positive from a United perspective.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t understand why some of you would get wound up because Lingard scored a couple of goals for England. He’s our player for the next 6 months at least, the fact that he’s in good form and ready to step in when called up on is a positive from a United perspective.
Exactly

United in sin

He struggled to replicate hos early form even over the course of his loan at West Ham. For all his attributes Jesse has always been wildly inconsistent.
He was the in-form player in Europe during his run at West Ham. He only played for them 16 times in the league, or 15.84 full games minutes wise and scored 9 goals and provided 4 assists.

That was an incredible run in the business end that made West Ham genuine top four contenders. They lost rhythm in their final few games but it's disengenous to say Lingard didn't replicate that form throughout, that would be a lot to ask for any player. He did more than enough there to earn a chance to redeem himself at united

stevoc

He was the in-form player in Europe during his run at West Ham. He only played for them 16 times in the league, or 15.84 full games minutes wise and scored 9 goals and provided 4 assists.

That was an incredible run in the business end that made West Ham genuine top four contenders. They lost rhythm in their final few games but it's disengenous to say Lingard didn't replicate that form throughout, that would be a lot to ask for any player.
Perhaps but saying that his form tailed off towards the end of his loan isn't an inaccurate statement to make. And certainly not disingenuous in the context of Lingards inconsistent career.

He did more than enough there to earn a chance to redeem himself at united
Well over the next month or two we'll see if the Manchester United manager feels the same.

United in sin

Perhaps but saying that his form tailed off towards the end of his loan isn't an inaccurate statement to make. And certainly not disingenuous in the context of Lingards inconsistent career.

Well over the next month or two we'll see if the Manchester United manager feels the same.
He made 13 goal contributions in just under 16 full matchday appearances, you surely can't bring him up his inconsistent past into this unless you're forcing this narrative and maintaining some unfounded confirmation bias. We shall see indeed how the season pans out.

Dve

Indeed but where have Pogba and Martial got to in this scenario where Lingard is starting on the left?

Lingard doesn't have to start you're right and building off his 2 starts before Xmas last year he'd do well to match or improve upon that now we've added Ronaldo and Sancho to the squad. I could be wrong and it would be welcome if Jesse was in great form and warranted games but much like last year I just don't think he's in Solskjaer's plans.
We´ll see. Lingard might be climbing the ranks, and at the moment, he´s possibly before Martial as an alternative on the left.

stevoc

He made 13 goal contributions in just under 16 full matchday appearances, you surely can't bring him up his inconsistent past into this unless you're forcing this narrative and maintaining some unfounded confirmation bias. We shall see indeed how the season pans out.
Yeah 12 of those 13 goal contributions came in his first 10 games. Only 1 assist and 0 goals in the last 6 games of his loan. As I said inconsistent.

Forcing a narrative? Stating facts?

Whatever floats your boat mate.

stevoc

We´ll see. Lingard might be climbing the ranks, and at the moment, he´s possibly before Martial as an alternative on the left.
Yep we'll see mate he might be possibly 3rd choice on the left only time will tell.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We've been running him into the ground and making him play through injuries. I'm not making excuses for him, just think we are really underrating him and not separating the player from the circumstances.

Let's see how it goes post-op and with more scope for rotation. I think we will be pleasantly surprised.
I do think (hope) that Rashford's pressing and workrate will improve a bit after having a proper rest, but his significant decline in those aspects started before the injuries started piling up. It was noticeable pretty much from the very first game of the 19/20 season. It just got even worse after the back injury.

I do wonder if some of it was deliberate from the coaching team so he can focus more on attacking, but even if so he surely went overboard with it.

Dve

That´s worth a like.

devips

My comments are precisely because I am a united fan...not a Lingard fan...I would want to see any player who has either come through the academy or joined the club given a fair shot to prove they are proper Utd players. However, if they don’t prove it I would rather see the next in line get their proper shot instead of having their paths blocked by persisting with other players based on sentiment. Remember the way Ferguson shipped out players regardless of stature or sentiment...the class of 92 displaced some formidable names...it was time to move on and Ferguson knew it. Ole needs to be more ruthless if the benefits of our huge recent investment in youth is to be maximised.
When people in a fan forum cannot rejoice in the simple fact of a player who plays for their team and emerged from their youth academy doing well for his country and deride him at the slightest opportunity, that's when I doubt their attachment to the club as well.

They cannot be United supporters, they are simply morons.

I'd rather see Elanga or Hannibal given time, rather than Lingard who's had a decade to prove if he's good enough.

Just as Rio said Phil Jones' presence is taking a place a youngster could have.

United in sin

Yeah 12 of those 13 goal contributions came in his first 10 games. Only 1 assist and 0 goals in the last 6 games of his loan. As I said inconsistent.

Forcing a narrative? Stating facts?

Whatever floats your boat mate.
It's really what floats yours. His loan spell was very positive. We can agree to disagree
He isnt even close. Pogba, Sancho, VdB, Mata, all better options to slot in to cover Bruno than captain cringe.
This right here IMO encapsulates why many on here want him nowhere near the team. When Lingard was contributing in big games in seasons past the complaints were about his on field celebrations and social media activity/Jlingz brand

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's simply disliked on a personal level and this disdain drives a lot of arguments against him, his poor form just gave people who would've never given him credit for a good performance the license to go full pelt on him

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's really what floats yours. His loan spell was very positive. We can agree to disagree

This right here IMO encapsulates why many on here want him nowhere near the team. When Lingard was contributing in big games in seasons past the complaints were about his celebrations and social media activity. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's simply disliked on a personal level and this disdain drives a lot of arguments against him, his poor form just gave people who would've never given him credit for a good performance the license to go full pelt on him
Horse shit. I never liked Rooney but praised his many outstanding performances for us, and celebrated every goal he scored, and every trophy win he was a part of, Id do the same for Lingard, despite the fact I cant stand him. But after about three years of playing like a liability, a 6 month purple patch three years ago, two goals against the international equivalent of a pub side and 1/4 of a season playing well for a different club isnt enough. All of a sudden we have people claiming he should start against Newcastle :lol: He has been here long enough and had enough chances to nail down a place and has not taken them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'd rather see Elanga or Hannibal given time, rather than Lingard who's had a decade to prove if he's good enough.

It's nothing like Phil Jones.

Oddly, being a permacrock makes him less of a hindrance as he doesn't eat into anyone's playing time.

You all act like we are this team that has it all sorted out and can give playing time to teenagers. We are actually a work in progress and need to balance development and tangible results. E.g. against Wolves we weren't firing on all cylinders, Sancho understandably looked lost and out of sync. Elanga or Hannibal would have been much the same. Martial, for all his shortcomings, could come into the game out left and know what others were playing at, and viceversa.

For a squad player most likely to be used as a sub that's a relevant quality. Lingard is far more likely to walk into a game in any attacking role and hit the ground running with Rashford, Pogba or even Bruno/Greenwood. I'd rather keep Lingard offering that option across the frontline than have Martial, James and Mata hanging around to occasionally do the same.

In fact, I'd argue that would result in more playing time for prospects, not less.

Dve

It must be better to go out on loan than to stay as fifth choice centre back.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Horse shit. I never liked Rooney but praised his many outstanding performances for us, and celebrated every goal he scored, and every trophy win he was a part of, Id do the same for Lingard, despite the fact I cant stand him. But after about three years of playing like a liability, a 6 month purple patch three years ago, two goals against the international equivalent of a pub side and 1/4 of a season playing well for a different club isnt enough. All of a sudden we have people claiming he should start against Newcastle :lol: He has been here long enough and had enough chances to nail down a place and has not taken them.
To be fair he really only played like a 'liability' for half a season. Before that he was ok for a squad player level (not great but not terrible either - he was better than Mata for instance). Then he had the absolutely terrible first half of the 19/20 season, but after we signed Bruno in January Lingard basically didn't play again for the following 12 months. I guess you could say that he was poor enough in the few games he did get during that period to not deserve any more games, but that would still only be 18 months of really poor form (12 months of which he barely played).

Based Adnan

Lingard last 3 seasons at United - 79 games, 9 goals, 6 assists

A purple patch in a counter attacking set up at West Ham with less pressure and some goals vs Andorra has people tricked

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
To be fair he really only played like a 'liability' for half a season. Before that he was ok for a squad player level (not great but not terrible either - he was better than Mata for instance). Then he had the absolutely terrible first half of the 19/20 season, but after we signed Bruno in January Lingard basically didn't play again for the following 12 months. I guess you could say that he was poor enough in the few games he did get during that period to not deserve any more games, but that would still only be 18 months of really poor form (12 months of which he barely played).
Even if that is the case, the league is so tight and competitive these days we cant take chances, he hasnt proved he can be relied on for us, yet people are suggesting he should start against newcastle when there are superior and more reliable players available. If he hadnt come through the academy he wouldnt be getting these 8th/9th/100th chances.

United in sin

A purple patch in a counter attacking set up at West Ham with less pressure and some goals vs Andorra has people tricked
What's your source? There's no way he's featured in that many game in the last three seasons. Are you starting at 2017/18 or 2018/19? He didn't feature for us in the PL last season, just a few cup games

Based Adnan

What's your source? There's no way he's featured in that many game in the last three seasons. Are you starting at 2017/18 or 2018/19? He didn't feature for us in the PL last season, just a few cup games
Transfermarkt and includes 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21.

It's all competitions. If you want PL only then it's 49 games, 5 goals, 3 assists.

United in sin

Transfermarkt and includes 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21.

It's all competitions. If you want PL only then it's 49 games, 5 goals, 3 assists.
Just looking at this, something is amiss. Do you think Lingard has featured in 30 cup games and internationals while at united in that time period? He definitely hasn't played 79 games for united since 2018/19, that's more than half his total appearances for the club

Last edited:

Strats

This. Skimmed through his player performance threads from the last 2-3 years, people seem to have forgotten the absolute shower of shite performances he has put in when given a chance at multiple occasions over the years.

He can't handle the pressure of being a United player.

Last edited:

Based Adnan

Just looking at this, something is amiss. Do you think Lingard has featured in 30 cup games for united in that time period? I don't even have to check to think it's wrong. He definitely hasn't played 79 games for united since 2018/19

I did check though, and Whoscored has Lingard at 42 total apps for united in that time, not including the 16 he played for West Ham on loan last season.
Cup games (30):
18/19 = 6 CL, 2 FA Cup, 1 EFL Cup
19/20 = 9 EL, 4 FA Cup, 5 EFL Cup
20/21 = 1 FA Cup, 2 EFL Cup

Total games (79):
18/19 = 36 (27 PL, 6 CL, 2 FA Cup, 1 EFL Cup)
19/20 = 40 (22 PL, 9 EL, 4 FA Cup, 5 EFL Cup)
20/21 = 3 (1 FA Cup, 2 EFL Cup)

These are United only and it's all on Transfermarkt... If you really think Lingard has only played for us 42 times in the past 3 seasons then I question just how much of him you've watched.

antohan

As Rio said 'being at United is a good gig' - clear which players are happy to sit in the background and collect a pay cheque rather than go to a less glamorous club but actually play.
Except Lingard did exactly that last season, getting himself back in the mix for England in the process.

You really can't knock the guy with that stick.

LazyGoal

Great that he had a good match. But, to celebrate like that against Andorra.. that is just embarrassing. Sorry.

antohan

I doubt anyone wants or expects him to start on the back of that. He is a decent squad option, much like JOS who everyone panicked at seeing on the lineup but clearly made a contribution covering and resting players.

United in sin

Cup games (30):
18/19 = 6 CL, 2 FA Cup, 1 EFL Cup
19/20 = 9 EL, 4 FA Cup, 5 EFL Cup
20/21 = 1 FA Cup, 2 EFL Cup

Total games (79):
18/19 = 36 (27 PL, 6 CL, 2 FA Cup, 1 EFL Cup)
19/20 = 40 (22 PL, 9 EL, 4 FA Cup, 5 EFL Cup)
20/21 = 3 (1 FA Cup, 2 EFL Cup)

These are United only and it's all on Transfermarkt... If you really think Lingard has only played for us 42 times in the past 3 seasons then I question just how much of him you've watched.
I stand corrected in that case

Hackman2210

Hang on a minute - did Linguard just become better than Sancho?? If it wasnt for the fact UTD are the club i love - that would be laughable. As it stands its a sad indictment of our player evaluation........

Blood Mage

Hang on a minute - did Linguard just become better than Sancho?? If it wasnt for the fact UTD are the club i love - that would be laughable. As it stands its a sad indictment of our player evaluation........
I don't think anybody has said that. Sancho was shite against Wolves though and deserves to be on the bench for Newcastle.

Dve

Not better, but at the moment, Lingard is probably in better form than Sancho.

OverratedOpinion

Great that he had a good match. But, to celebrate like that against Andorra.. that is just embarrassing. Sorry.
Andorra are crap and I don't think I would be much more generous with my assessment of Lingard.

With that said he has had a torrid time of things both professionally and personally and he bagged a brace for his national team. I don't think it means he should suddenly start for us but he is well within his rights to celebrate.

I reckon you are probably the type who would say "A purple patch at West Ham for a few months and he thinks he is above playing for his country" if he played it cool and didn't celebrate.

LazyGoal

Andorra are crap and I don't think I would be much more generous with my assessment of Lingard.

With that said he has had a torrid time of things both professionally and personally and he bagged a brace for his national team. I don't think it means he should suddenly start for us but he is well within his rights to celebrate.

I reckon you are probably the type who would say "A purple patch at West Ham for a few months and he thinks he is above playing for his country" if he played it cool and didn't celebrate.
Playing Andorra is like playing kids. You don't celebrate like that when you score against kids as a top professional player. Thats all.

Dve

Playing Andorra is like playing kids. You don't celebrate like that when you score against kids as a top professional player. Thats all.
When you thought you´d heard it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.