Jesse Lingard considered break from football because of mental health issues

Dante

Average bang

Ed Aarons
@ed_aarons
Thu 22 Apr 2021 08.15 BST

Jesse Lingard has revealed he considered taking a break from football last year because of mental health issues affecting him and his family but believes talking openly about his feelings since has helped to rejuvenate his career.

Lingard has scored nine times since moving to West Ham on loan from Manchester United in January to earn an England recall, having not played a minute in the Premier League for his parent club this season, and is expected to be part of Gareth Southgate’s squad for this summer’s European Championship.

The 28-year-old has admitted his mother’s struggles with depression affected his mental health while he was at United and made him seriously consider whether he wanted to continue playing.

“Not quit football, just have a time out really,” he told the entertainment show Presenting… “I was going into games happy sitting on the bench and that’s not me. I was telling my brother the other day: ‘Remember when I was happy sitting on the bench and all this?’ I didn’t want to play because my mind wasn’t there, I wasn’t focused at all. I was thinking about other things and obviously bottling it all up; trying to play football, you can’t do it.”

Lingard’s mother has lived with depression for most of her life and received treatment in London last year that meant the United midfielder was looking after his younger brother and sister while playing – a situation he admitted was a struggle.

“Through the years we had the help for her, but even just for me it’s hard to bottle things up,” Lingard said. “It feels like you’re not the same person. I felt like I wasn’t Jesse Lingard. Even in football matches, I felt like the game was just passing me by, like I just didn’t want to be there – it was crazy … So, I opened up to United and told them what I was going through, what my mum was going through and they’re always there to help.”

Lingard had been a regular at United under Ole Gunnar Solskjær until last season but rarely featured after Christmas because of his struggles off the pitch. The player who joined the academy as a seven-year-old and was a part of the England side that reached the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 believes the first Covid-19 lockdown in March 2020 was the turning point.

“I could have easily quit in lockdown, been like: ‘Nah I don’t want to do it’. I could have easily given up but the fight in me always brings me back to life and in lockdown I was just smashing gym, doing runs. I wanted to get back to training fitter and faster than anyone else and I did that.

“I feel like lockdown has kind of transitioned me in a way. I watched my old games back and watched the World Cup games back and I thought: ‘Yeah, that’s the real Jesse Lingard.’ The time that I had going a couple seasons back or last season, it just wasn’t me at all and you can see that. My brother who lives with me, he could see that and he’s got a video of me literally laying on the couch and I’m just staring for three minutes into thin air and he’s just thinking: ‘What is he going through? He’s got the weight of the world on his shoulders.’ And even he didn’t know what I was going through at the time.”
Lingard has thrived under the former United manager David Moyes at West Ham as they attempt to secure a top four-finish, but his future remains unclear with the loan due to expire at the end of the season. Whatever happens, he feels ready again to give his all after such a difficult 12 months.

“I feel like with my mum and me I’ve learnt that when you open up you feel like a butterfly – you’re in a cocoon and then you can spread your wings, you can fly. It’s an amazing feeling and now I’ve got all that behind me and I can concentrate on football and my family.

“Of course, you’re going to get dragged through and there are going to be highs and lows and you might have a low point but you’ve got to find that something in you, that never give up, that attitude to go again, go again, go again, because I’ve never been a quitter.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...from-football-because-of-mental-health-issues

Glad to see that United were there for him during his struggles.

It also seems that he's winning the battle against his demons. Really happy for the guy. Mental health issues deserve to be treated seriously in football. They can be as debilitating as any muscular injury.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It felt like the games were passing him by when we were watching him play. Glad he opened up and glad United helped.

Really happy for him how he's doing at West Ham.

CG1010

It must have been difficult to open up and I am glad Lingard took the difficult route. Mental health is a tough one and I am sure several players go through it but not many are able to admit things like "I was happier staying on the bench". But this is exactly what happens when you have depression and anxiety. Kudos to him. Reading this, I hope he has an amazing remaining career.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Ed Aarons
@ed_aarons
Thu 22 Apr 2021 08.15 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...from-football-because-of-mental-health-issues

Glad to see that United were there for him during his struggles.

It also seems that he's winning the battle against his demons. Really happy for the guy. Mental health issues deserve to be treated seriously in football. They can be as debilitating as any muscular injury.
And arguably more painful, as an injured player won’t end up playing badly in front of the whole world when they’re not capable of performing at the level required. Then getting dog’s abuse on social media as a result.

IncyWincySpider

This is great news and I'm glad to hear he's talking about it all and starting to feel better. I hope whether he comes back to United or not that he enjoys the rest of his career and makes the most of it.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Good for him and I’m glad he’s flying this season for West Ham. There’ll be so many in the same boat and as fans we’re quick to slag players off if they’re having a bad run or look like they’re not interested but we have no idea what’s going on in their personal lives.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Him being open and talking about this will help others to do the same. Well done lad.

Abizzz

It takes a lot of strength to talk about this publicly. Respect!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Tough for the lad. Good luck to him and I hope he overcomes it. Great to see him doing so well on loan.

Robertd0803

Fair play to him for opening up and talking about it which certainly isnt easy. Even more so for someone in the public eye (Id imagine so for this part but dont think Im wrong).

Glad that hes doing better now and hopefully this will inspire others to seek help as well.

NFM

Welcome back next season, Jesse. You are far too good to be lost to 'your' club.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Really am starting to think that having him back next season will be a good idea

OverratedOpinion

Congratulations on talking about it so openly, people genuinely benefit when this is encouraged.

Icemav

A lot of respect for the guy. Thats a lot of reaponsibiity and family problems for a young man to deal with so all credit to him.

BFernandes

Good to hear he's in a much better frame of mind, and it's showing with his form!

Not my favourite United player by any stretch, I find the whole BEANS BEANS BEANS thing unbearably cringe, but I'm glad he's turned/turning it around

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's great that he is seemingly in a better place.

Castia

I work in mental health and him coming out and telling his story is a very positive thing.

No need to be a nob about it.
:lol:

Soz mate long day at work, was only messing about.

Good on him for talking about it and i think we're all pleased he is doing well at West Ham. None of it changes the fact he's not good enough for the top, but he should be able to finish up a successful career in a place like West Ham.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What’s insane is there were genuinely people on here who implied that he was acting up on this, to shirk responsibility as a player. A couple of them were very sound posters too. Batshit stuff.

So happy for Lingard that he’s out of that place.

Vanrouge

This is why I try to avoid taking potshots at players publicly. I mean, offline with your mates, it can't do any harm, but in football forums and comments sections, it can potentially do real-world harm to people. It's worth remembering. Good for Jesse speaking out.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Hope people lay off him after watching this, he’s one of our own and it’s heartbreaking to reveal what he’s had to go through regarding his mental stuggles.

There are things bigger than football and after watching this it’s clear as to why he wasn’t performing as well as he could as his mind was elsewhere as he was worried about his family. Heartbreaking watch.

*Please watch the video before replying*

KW2006

So this is the reason behind JLINGZ and beans beans beans?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Maybe it was his way of trying to go around his depression issue rather than open up about it? I am happy he is recovering from it and showing his true ability as a player. I have to admit he used to annoy the shit out of me because you just can't go from a serial cup player to a championship level player in the space of weeks without having something behind the scenes happening to you. We used to blame him for inconsistency/off the field antics but this video was just heartbreaking, happy for him to get help from our club and now playing to his potential. Look at Adriano, he was one hell of a player but his father's death just destroyed him, glad Jesse was able to avoid going down that path...

OleBoiii

Poor lad. Brave for speaking up.

Caring for someone with depression long-term sounds really difficult, especially when it also involves responsibilities such as taking care of younger siblings. The worst part is that when you almost inevitably become depressed yourself, you don't really have anywhere to turn. You are already the "psychologist" in the relationship/friendship. And let's face it, it's a terrible conversation to have.

"I think I have become depressed too"
"Why?"
"Because of your depression"

RUCK4444

Glad he's spoken out and is doing well. The main gripe many fans had was that games seemed to pass him by and he was anonymous at times, this could well explain a lot of that.

I find it sad that many people struggle to talk about mental illness, I've always been quite open about my own, I think it helps if you are close with others who also have similar illness which I have always had. I'm sure it will have helped Jesse a lot to open up and talk about it.

Hopefully with time the stigma around mental illness will continue to subside until it's viewed the same as any other illness, which is exactly what it is.

hubbuh

What's that got to do with anything?

It's great that Jesse has been able to come out of this the other side. It makes you wonder about all those players that went through similar things and couldn't get the better of it. Statistically it'll surely be rife, but mental health in football is something you barely ever hear about (at least in active players, retirees seem a bit more open about it).

Glorio

Good for him and I’m glad he’s flying this season for West Ham. There’ll be so many in the same boat and as fans we’re quick to slag players off if they’re having a bad run or look like they’re not interested but we have no idea what’s going on in their personal lives.
This ... And it's happening again. I think before we type sometimes we just need to sit back and think: this is not a video game character, it's a person with a full life - someone's son, father, brother, nephew, and a rounded character with concerns, hopes, and dreams.

Throwing out the old "they know what they signed up for" is lazy and shows a distinct lack of empathy.
It crystallised in the mind a bit when Shoretire's dad joined The Caf to try and defend his son from abuse. Interesting thing is for players like Rashford, Martial, Fred, Pogba, James, Maguire - it's the same (and they're all relatively young humans). The value of a life outweighs the two hours of a football game.

Oranges038

I like most had a good moan about him and his performances, he was awful for a long time and he just seemed to be going through the motions.

This puts a lot of that into perspective. Takes a lot of guts to speak out like that, it's good to see him playing well again.

Meep

My oldest son (12y) loves Jesse and have started watching all of West Hams games since he joined them. He is convinced Jesse is one of the best forwards in the league and I have been kind of rough on him about it when he tries to convince me. Making him a little bit mad for fun. I really can see why Jesse gets attention from the young united supporters. A bit of a crowd pleaser but a rfeally good player when he is in the right mood. But mostly a very charismatic person growing into a role model. (and he is still young.. ;-) )

Next time my son will say 'Jesse is one of the best in the league'.. I will agree with him. Looking forward to watching Jesse with him tomorrow! :-)