g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jesse Lingard | Seoul singer

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He took the gamble and it didn’t pay off.

Doesn’t have the name or reputation coming off his Forest stint for Saudi or the US.

Newly promoted teams won’t be handing out any big contracts. I understood the gamble at the time, but in hindsight, West Ham really was the right move for him.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Don't understand why @Forest Red so staunchly defends this guy.

You paid him a lot of money, he only came to you for the money and he wasn't very good.

You should be grateful it was only a 1 year contract.
Why, because some United fans seem to want to misrepresent Lingard‘s time at Forest to legitimise their continued animosity towards him. Your highlighted summary of the season is your narrative and is plain wrong and simplistic. I’m not defending Lingard, I’m posting what actuality happened at my club and why. For the record, he’s not a twat, he is a team player, he turned up and supported the club even when not picked, he helped out with academy lads, he never once bad mouthed Forest or anyone at the club and his season was compromised by injuries at the wrong time. Maybe you just need to let it go?

Bwuk

If he doesn't end up in MLS I could see him at Celtic.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why, because some United fans seem to want to misrepresent Lingard‘s time at Forest to legitimise their continued animosity towards him. Your highlighted summary of the season is your narrative and is plain wrong and simplistic. I’m not defending Lingard, I’m posting what actuality happened at my club and why. For the record, he’s not a twat, he is a team player, he turned up and supported the club even when not picked, he helped out with academy lads, he never once bad mouthed Forest or anyone at the club and his season was compromised by injuries at the wrong time. Maybe you just need to let it go?
I don't think any of your points about his time at the club necessarily negate the idea that he only joined Forest for the money.

I don't particularly understand why people use that as a stick to beat players with, but it seemed fairly certain he had an offer on the table from West Ham, a club where he'd enjoyed a good run of form and was already well liked. The only thing the Forest offer had over the West Ham one was more money.

stevoc

Well...

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He should be a warning to all pros on how not to negotiate.

Went from potential offer at West Ham to a one year deal at Forest and now unemployed.

Well, at least he has the clothing brand to fall back on....

GazTheLegend

@Forest Red with respect, I'm not going to attack his time at Forest - if you're happy with how your club paid him £10million quid to piss about with your academy players, be a good lad and "turn up", power to you and to him. It's not his fault he's shit. But he ripped into Manchester United football club and whined about it when he left, something about "days off", our social media efforts (whatever) and that sort of thing. And this is a guy who played as a number 10 for Manchester United and went an entire calendar year without getting a single assist or goal. I mean the logic of that is absolutely astonishing to me, number 10's at most clubs are supposed to be your best player and somehow we had Lingard shitting the bed every game - even I'd get an assist or goal in a year at United, I'd expect at least one to bounce off my arse into the path of someone actually good at football - and somehow he still has the audacity to go ripping in to Manchester United? Whatever.

It's embarrassing for our management that he stayed as long as he did because he's not good enough for us and I expect not even going to play another game in the Premier League, maybe ever again. It's embarrassing as fans we had to put up with it.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
@Forest Red with respect, I'm not going to attack his time at Forest - if you're happy with how your club paid him £10million quid to piss about with your academy players, be a good lad and "turn up", power to you and to him. It's not his fault he's shit. But he ripped into Manchester United football club and whined about it when he left, something about "days off", our social media efforts (whatever) and that sort of thing. And this is a guy who played as a number 10 for Manchester United and went an entire calendar year without getting a single assist or goal. I mean the logic of that is absolutely astonishing to me, number 10's at most clubs are supposed to be your best player and somehow we had Lingard shitting the bed every game - even I'd get an assist or goal in a year at United, I'd expect at least one to bounce off my arse into the path of someone actually good at football - and somehow he still has the audacity to go ripping in to Manchester United? Whatever.

It's embarrassing for our management that he stayed as long as he did because he's not good enough for us and I expect not even going to play another game in the Premier League, maybe ever again. It's embarrassing as fans we had to put up with it.
Yes I have no problem with paying him £10mil (or whatever). I’m not really interested in the Lingard that was at United - your player, your problem. The problem I have is that numerous United fans (including yourself) churn out prejudice comments about his time at Forest. It’s just plain disrespectful. Get your own house in order - ask yourself why he supposedly ripped into United but was nothing but respectful and supportive of us - despited not getting picked. One of the reasons we stayed up was togetherness and team spirit, of which Jesse played a huge part of. Again, just get over it he doesn’t play for either team now.

Heardy

Still no news on his next move?? Glad we moved him on but it’s mental to think that only 12 months after releasing him, he’s on the scrap heap - without even a championship team coming in for him.

I really hope we’ve turned a corner in terms of not keeping players past their best, but we’ve got to be smart on contracts / wages to stop us from being unable to move players on.

lex talionis

Glad he’s long gone from United. I understand football is a business and footballers have to look out for themselves, but he tried to pull off a side hustle to the detriment of his service to the club.

Trequarista10

He's still young and learning with a long future ahead of him. Hope he finds the right club which allows him to fulfill his potential.

Someone

Something
Dude turned down a long term contract from West Ham for a one year deal with NF. One of the dumbest things i've ever seen in football. The lack of self awareness is incredible.

Oranges038

Still no news on his next move?? Glad we moved him on but it’s mental to think that only 12 months after releasing him, he’s on the scrap heap - without even a championship team coming in for him.

I really hope we’ve turned a corner in terms of not keeping players past their best, but we’ve got to be smart on contracts / wages to stop us from being unable to move players on.
I'd imagine there's been some interest.

I'd also imagine he has unrealistic wage demands and that puts everyone off.

SAFMUTD

Dude turned down a long term contract from West Ham for a one year deal with NF. One of the dumbest things i've ever seen in football. The lack of self awareness is incredible.
He believed in himself doing a good job to extend that contract. Also wages reported where even higher in Forest while West Ham required him taking a considerable pay cut.

Obviously it was a high risk high reward move and it didn't worked out for him in the end.

glasgow 21

Can imagine his agent tryna get through to Inter Miami everyday
only problem is Miami asked for a photocopy of his driving license and they replied they didn't know a Bill Smith played up front for United.

Last edited:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yes I have no problem with paying him £10mil (or whatever). I’m not really interested in the Lingard that was at United - your player, your problem. The problem I have is that numerous United fans (including yourself) churn out prejudice comments about his time at Forest. It’s just plain disrespectful. Get your own house in order - ask yourself why he supposedly ripped into United but was nothing but respectful and supportive of us - despited not getting picked. One of the reasons we stayed up was togetherness and team spirit, of which Jesse played a huge part of. Again, just get over it he doesn’t play for either team now.
well said

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The hatred of Lingard in some quarters is a very clear by-product of fan frustration at our expectations failing to meet reality in the aftermath of Fergie’s departure. In literally every other era - including the doldrums before SAF - he’d have been a **** hero at worst.

Pretty much any academy product who scores an FA Cup winning goal in extra time deserves to be tbh… at any club. But he just happened to exists at the absolute worst time for our fanbase tolerating his kind of personality.

Nickelodeon

The hatred of Lingard in some quarters is a very clear by-product of fan frustration at our expectations failing to meet reality in the aftermath of Fergie’s departure. In literally every other era - including the doldrums before SAF - he’d have been a **** hero at worst.

Pretty much any academy product who scores an FA Cup winning goal in extra time deserves to be tbh… at any club. But he just happened to exists at the absolute worst time for our fanbase tolerating his kind of personality.
Sorry, but that's just not correct.

He could've been a **** hero if left at the right time or at least not bad-mouthed the club in his parting days. He takes every opportunity to use the clubs name to gain more PR than he deserves.

Mercurial

He believed in himself doing a good job to extend that contract. Also wages reported where even higher in Forest while West Ham required him taking a considerable pay cut.

Obviously it was a high risk high reward move and it didn't worked out for him in the end.
More like High risk Low reward maneuver. Flew to close to the sun and all that..