Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Oldyella

none of them is fit to play with United and these are the finest of the lot.
You can't lump them together and blame the youth academy though.

Pogba was more than good enough, just gave up trying at some point.
Rashford has been fine for us till his form deserted him, most PL clubs would have loved a youth product like him coming through with is output.
Greenwood was more than good enough, I don't think the academy can be blamed for his issues.
Lingard is a decent enough footballer but not good enough for a club of our size and was kept around far too long.

All possibly on their way out, and each one a different reason.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Clearly West Ham didn't think he was worth the money. They spend £25m on Vlasic but couldn't spend £15m on Lingard, also they couldn't afford his wages, which is why when he was on loan we paid part of the wages.

When a club wants a player, they pay the money, Liverpool with VVD, United with numerous players, Chelsea, the list goes on and on.

Anyway, he is not a very professional player with no respect anyway.

Yes, Ole must have given himself a 3 year deal.
Why do you say things that arent true?

West Ham pursued a purchase of Lingard but were rebuffed by Manchester United who put out a £30m valuation. West Ham never put in an official bid as the asking price was too high. If you are about to say that £15m would get the job done, that is a fan guess and not something real that actually happened.

West Ham is a small club. For them to fork out Uniteds asking price for a player with 1 year left on his contract is just not going to happen. Jesse is 29 and West Ham have ever only signed 3 players above £30m, with the highest transfer fee ever being Sébastien Haller in 19/20 for £45m, who immediately bombed and was sold to Ajax at a 40% loss. All high price signings were around 25-26, most other in their early 20s and only when you get down to £16m you will find a 29 year old Chicarito that was signed 5 years ago.

Jesses contract term, age and buyer profile of West Ham makes it abundantly clear that they were never going to pay £30m for him, so why the feck is that being used against him?

Not directed at OP: I cant stand how absolute toxic and eager to revise history into something its not a lot of you have become. This season has made you all bitter and frankly, shit. You should all be significantly better people than this but it appears too much to ask.

Roane

Maybe I'm sentimental but I always wish a player luck when they leave UTD. Moreso if they have a history at the club. History as in came through the academy etc.

Never thought of Jesse as anything special as a player but maybe used to the SAF years and we kept many a "nothing special" player simply due to a mindset that SAF created and most were capable as back up players.

As a club we have been going in directions I can't get my head around and if intake Jesse as the example, I can't understand the contracts and wages of some players. I include Rashford in this too. Not based on this last season but altogether. Been when he was playing well I can't get my head around the wages etc.

I mention wages because I think Jesse to West Ham and them buying a £25m player whilst unwilling to pay £15m for Jesse is an unfair hammer to bash the player with. Simply because the fee is going to be important to clubs like WHU as an overall package including wages. My maths is crap but to me it makes sense to pay 25m for a player on 50k a week than 15m on a player on 120k a week ( again pulled the figure out of the air but hopefully folk get the point).

As a club we've made a rod for our own backs with some players. Think we were extremely lucky with Sanchez, and tbf it was thanks to Sanchez and his mindset rather than good business on our part. He could of stayed and sat on the bench getting paid loads.

Also find it funny that Newcastle get mentioned with almost every player we want to dump. I rate Eddie Howe and would absolutely turn on him if he paid silly money and wages for likes of Jesse. Sure on a free with high wages sort of evens out. But folk saying 70m for Rashy on his current form I think that's laughable personally.

United_98

After this season, I just don't understand the logic of keeping

Mata, Matic, Bailey, Jones, Lingard

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Clearly West Ham didn't think he was worth the money. They spend £25m on Vlasic but couldn't spend £15m on Lingard, also they couldn't afford his wages, which is why when he was on loan we paid part of the wages.

When a club wants a player, they pay the money, Liverpool with VVD, United with numerous players, Chelsea, the list goes on and on.

Anyway, he is not a very professional player with no respect anyway.

Yes, Ole must have given himself a 3 year deal.
What are you on about?

We have established Lingard was not wanted. It was a matter of negotiation to get rid of an unwanted player. But Ole saw what he did at West Ham and persuaded him to stay.

I did not blame Ole for the contract. That is Woodward's doing.
But Ole should have resigned after us being humiliated At Home by Liverpool, if he actually loved the club as he claimed.
The severance could have been negotiated.
Instead we had to wait until being humiliated at Watford who are now relegated.

The fact is the club should have fired him after that Liverpool defeat even if he had not resigned.

Well here we are.

RedDevil@84

Maybe I'm sentimental but I always wish a player luck when they leave UTD
I think most posters are doing the same. Just not spelling it out here. People just want Lingard gone and not wishing that his career gets trashed.

suheilsworld

His PR team has been on overdrive spinning stories that ETH wants to have a word but he’s decided to have a move. Can’t wait till we are without him, Marcus and Pogba.

Redlyn

West Ham pursued a purchase of Lingard but were rebuffed by Manchester United who put out a £30m valuation. West Ham never put in an official bid as the asking price was too high. If you are about to say that £15m would get the job done, that is a fan guess and not something real that actually happened.

West Ham is a small club. For them to fork out Uniteds asking price for a player with 1 year left on his contract is just not going to happen. Jesse is 29 and West Ham have ever only signed 3 players above £30m, with the highest transfer fee ever being Sébastien Haller in 19/20 for £45m, who immediately bombed and was sold to Ajax at a 40% loss. All high price signings were around 25-26, most other in their early 20s and only when you get down to £16m you will find a 29 year old Chicarito that was signed 5 years ago.

Jesses contract term, age and buyer profile of West Ham makes it abundantly clear that they were never going to pay £30m for him, so why the feck is that being used against him?

Not directed at OP: I cant stand how absolute toxic and eager to revise history into something its not a lot of you have become. This season has made you all bitter and frankly, shit. You should all be significantly better people than this but it appears too much to ask.
And you know exactly what happened how? Whether it was 15m or 30m it's all speculation.

romufc

I mean Dortmund said Sancho price is £120m, United still put a bid of £75m
Spurs said Kane is worth £150m but City put a bid of £100m.

Why should United care about West Ham's model? Are we meant to do them a favour and give them a player for less than what he is valued at? Are we a charity?

Secondly, £30m might be the case but West Ham never put a bid in, which shows they were not serious about it. They were happy to spend £25m on Vlasic though, who is a bench player at best for them.

So what we should sell to clubs out of sympathy? Do you think West Ham will look to do anything but get maximum value if we ask them for Rice?

A club who actually wants a player will go test the resolve of the selling club. I mean even Leeds who were in the championship not long ago bought James for £25m.

Oh yes we are toxic, fans who take time out their day, spend money on Manutd are toxic because a team couldn't afford Lingard. A player who has continuously disrespected the fans and the club, whilst picking up the £100k a week wage. Posting pictures in West Ham shirt, retweeting their posts, saying he is in prison whilst on a 5 star holiday in Dubai.

Let alone all the disrespect to not only the fans, his peers and manager, leaking things to the press.

romufc

What are you on about?

We have established Lingard was not wanted. It was a matter of negotiation to get rid of an unwanted player. But Ole saw what he did at West Ham and persuaded him to stay.

I did not blame Ole for the contract. That is Woodward's doing.
But Ole should have resigned after us being humiliated At Home by Liverpool, if he actually loved the club as he claimed.
The severance could have been negotiated.
Instead we had to wait until being humiliated at Watford who are now relegated.

The fact is the club should have fired him after that Liverpool defeat even if he had not resigned.

Well here we are.

Right. I do recall Fergie resigning after losing 6-1 to Man City.

I recall Ralf resigning after losing 4-0 and 4-1 to Liverpool and City.

Kaos

You can bet your house this whole "ETH wants to have a chat" story is complete bollocks too. The man is currently locked in a tight title race with PSV, the last thing on his mind is having a chat with Jesse feckin Lingard. What's probably been said is he's interested in having one to ones with each player, but Captain Cringe has done what he does best and simply twisted and leaked a story about ETH talking to him about staying to the press to inflate his feeling of self-worth.

Academy prospect or not, he's a nothing player, and I doubt ETH gives a feck whether he stays or goes. Let's see if PSG and Milan give him that £150k a week contract.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

:lol:

Getting desperate I see.

Don't insult Fergie by comparing him to this clueless muppet Ole. The score was merely the icing on a clueless, souless display. In fact the 2-0 loss to City was worse.
Pep just was being kind.

Now you bringing Ralf into it is truly funny. Must try harder.

Kaos

Poor examples. Fergie was the greatest manager of all time and had won the lot at the time of the 6-1 loss to city. That loss wasn't going to change that. Ralf is an interim manager who wasn't staying more than half a season, why would he resign?

hobbers

I cant stand how absolute toxic and eager to revise history into something its not a lot of you have become. This season has made you all bitter and frankly, shit. You should all be significantly better people than this but it appears too much to ask.
We probably learned this behavior from Jesse and his PR team

Oldyella

After this season, I just don't understand the logic of keeping

Mata, Matic, Bailey, Jones, Lingard
If we had used Mata better would have no issues with keeping him around during the next year while squad faces big changes. Smart player, well liked . Would be the older head along with Ronnie(if he stays)

glasgow 21

Can we celebrate free Lingard day? Like a recovery from a long illness.
Patient "Hi, Doc.... well give us the news"
Doctor "Well i'm glad to inform you the X-ray results are back and its gone ....we have successfully removed it all, Jesse is gone "
Patient " Awe doc that great news , please..... please can i ring the bell !!!! "

lex talionis

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect part of the reason the club kept Lingard was to prevent him from helping West Ham from challenging us for a CL or a EL spot. Given where West Ham are right now in the table it's not unreasonable to believe that a happy Lingard at West Ham might have them several points higher in the table at this point.

United are on 58 points after 36 matches
West Ham are on 52 points after 35 matches

United and West Ham are both out of of contention for fourth place now, but both clubs went into the season believing fourth place was a realistic goal. Now we're scraping EL qualification, but it's not entirely inconceivable that a happy Lingard at West Ham might have put the club above us by this point.

Counterfactual

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect part of the reason the club kept Lingard was to prevent him from helping West Ham from challenging us for a CL or a EL spot. Given where West Ham are right now in the table it's not unreasonable to believe that a happy Lingard at West Ham might have them several points higher in the table at this point.

United and West Ham are both out of of contention for fourth place now, but both clubs went into the season believing fourth place was a realistic goal. Now we're scraping EL qualification, but it's not entirely inconceivable that a happy Lingard at West Ham might have put the club above us by this point.
There's no way our club plays 4D chess like that!

Roane

If we had used Mata better would have no issues with keeping him around during the next year while squad faces big changes. Smart player, well liked . Would be the older head along with Ronnie(if he stays)
I'm convinced, no evidence from sources etc, that Mata would have been a key player under RR.

Not an attack on Ole, but I was surprised he kept him because our style under Ole just didn't suit Mata. I have no issues with players not being bought or utilised if they don't fit. Although his contract extension and our interest in likes of Sancho and DVB had me thinking "ok we seem to be wanting to play quick slick football so makes sense to keep Mata". You have to understand here that I don't buy into the whole legs have gone with certai players, as speed isn't what they rely on. More a quick brain and football intelligence.

Under RR I thought Mata would get more game time. He isn't the quickest or best at tackling but he is like a Jack Russel snapping at players. When he didn't get games I was surprised. But that surprise turned to "oh I see" because the impression RR gave after his initial appointment was a kind of "I can't implement what I'd said because I've been told not to".

I appreciate that the last game at home was not really an indication of how we would have done with Mata in the side etc but Indo feel that once everything was lost, no CL for example" RR probably wasn't obliged/pressured/told or whatever to play certain players.

Of course this could all be nonsense and it was just a chance to bid farewell to players. I just think Mata had more to give and during our dark days I would have given him the captains armband.

stevoc

Given the investment last summer I honestly don't think the club expected to be battling it out with West Ham for an EL spot with 2-3 games to go this season.

The reason he didn't go to West Ham is partly because they didn't want to pay anything like what United valued him at and partly because he probably didn't fancy West Ham and/or wanted to run his contract down.

Submarine Chief

I was thinking that’s what makes this place so special

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I find it hard to believe ETH is desperate to speak to him.
Jesse turns up in a limo, proper proud of himself as he straightens his gingham tuxedo with lime green winklepickers, and walks into Ten Hag's office. He sits down without shaking hands with him, lounges casually in the chair and smirks. "So, what do you want to tell me?" He asks. Ten Hag looks down at his desk for a few seconds before answering.

"Why are there shitloads of beans in this drawer?"

Chripper

It happens.

A while back Aberdeen were pushing Celtic hard for the SPL. Danny ward was in goals for Aberdeen, and doing brilliantly.

The Celtic manager at the time (Brendan Rodgers) called in a favour from his former club (Liverpool), who Ward was on loan from. Liverpool cut short the loan spell and Ward spent the remainder of the season on the Liverpool bench.

Aberdeen's title challenge died.

fallengt

Trying to get last buzz before leaving I see. He knows his "brand" will become irrelevant once he leaves United.

I’m loving my life

Which pound shops will take on the JLINGZ brand once the mardy feckwit let’s us free of his bile?

I can see Home Bargains taking him on perhaps as the face of the company

marcus agrippa

How we have managed the last 18 months of JL just about sums up all that has been wrong with our recruitment and letting a couple of accountants in Woodward and Judge have control over player contracts…..

We lend him out as he can’t get in the team - he goes to West Ham and has a great few months….his stock/value rises considerably even though he has 1 year left on his contract.

JL comes back full of himself after having lots of smoke blown up his arse about how he performed at West Ham.

Nice guy Ole doesn’t want to upset anyone and probably doesn’t want to let him leave so that people question his management of him.

Woody and Judge think that they can extend his contract so that his asset value is protected.

We go and sign Sancho so JL has no chance to play. He starts to sulk and lets it be known he is not happy in the media and questions Ole.

Ole leaves and is replaced by RR who also doesn’t rate him or play him. We get one last chance in Jan to flog him for some cash to Newcastle…..we reject it - and then never play him again.

We leave a bitter player in our squad full of resentment…..then wonder why we have a toxic changing room?

The lesson we need to learn more than most is that when the show doesn’t fit anymore don’t put it back in the cupboard to gather dust - throw it out or sell it on eBay, just don’t hang onto it hoping that maybe one day it just might fit again.
Good post!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Should have sold him last summer, I don’t know why we still have him here.

Marcus

Yup that was the rumour. Quite small time, but understandable.

Anustart89

Yeah. It was my mistake.

I think the closest bid was £10m
Even then, we should’ve taken it and ran. Apart from missing out on the transfer fee, we’ve paid him at least £5m in wages since rejecting that offer so we’ve thrown £15m down the drain to keep a player that’s below the required standard and who by all accounts seems to be a disruptive figure in the dressing room with his inclination to leak stories to the press.

vangagal

Even then, we should’ve taken it and ran. Apart from missing out on the transfer fee, we’ve paid him at least £5m in wages since rejecting that offer so we’ve thrown £15m down the drain to keep a player that’s below the required standard and who by all accounts seems to be a disruptive figure in the dressing room with his inclination to leak stories to the press.
I'd take whatever they offered back then as long its permanent and no wage contribution, just washed our hand clean from Lingard. This hassle just not worth it.