Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I personally think he could do a bit better than West Ham (Spurs/Arsenal level maybe?) but he might want to be at a smaller club where the pressure is off. The move should have happened in the summer, or a few years back really.
Are Spurs or Arsenal really a higher level then West Ham at the moment?

stevoc

I doubt he was made to understand clearly that he wouldn't play.

There are other alternative paths that we could have taken over the past 2 years that don't lead to him walking at the end of this season having barely featured while we pay all of his wages.

His contract just reeks mismanagement.
But was it made clear to him that he was going to play as little as he has?

If he was bluntly told "there's no future for you here, you'll barely play for us this season, you should leave" but decided to run down his contract then fair enough, there's not much you can do. It seems we weren't that firm though, despite obviously not having a particular need for him.
We don't know what was said in private but I'd take anything Solksjaer has said publicly with a pinch of salt as he was probably trying to preserve his value. Let's be honest here he was barely played for over a year then he was sent out on loan with a view to selling him. The club through various journalists were hawking him around for sale but the reports form the very start of the window were that he didn't fancy West Ham and wanted to stay.

Now did Solskjaer or the Club change their mind but it? It's possible but unlikely, it would have been been obvious even to Jesse that he wasn't getting much playing time with Rashford, Martial, Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood and Sancho occupying the same positions he does. So in my opinion Jesse has wanted to run his contract down from the start which is why he didn't leave and that's fair enough, that's his choice.

Redlyn

We don't know what was said in private but I'd take anything Solksjaer has said publicly with a pinch of salt as he was probably trying to preserve his value. Let's be honest here he was barely played for over a year then he was sent out on loan with a view to selling him. The club through various journalists were hawking him around for sale but the reports form the very start of the window were that he didn't fancy West Ham and wanted to stay.

Now did Solskjaer or the Club change their mind but it? It's possible but unlikely, it would have been been obvious even to Jesse that he wasn't getting much playing time with Rashford, Martial, Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood and Sancho occupying the same positions he does. So in my opinion Jesse has wanted to run his contract down from the start which is why he didn't leave and that's fair enough, that's his choice.
He may well have wanted to run down his contract and could do that quietly but the selfie tells me there is more to it. Club should have managed this better.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
No, he shouldn't have got any more minutes. His time was up years ago and he should not have been here to even be considered as an option. Cluelessness has meant he is still here.
I mean, he has pretty much scored every time he played this season. Maybe not a player for the long-term but someone who definitely could have been useful whilst in a great purple patch.

Gandalf

he’s now posting pics of himself at West Ham ... literally could of got 25 mil for him in summer and used it towards getting a dm. Mad
There does seem to be a little bit of context around this as West Ham initially tweeted about his goal at Molineux for them as they are playing Wolves this weekend and Jesse just shared the picture of his celebration. I know the timing isn't great but not sure there was any greater significance than sharing a happy memory.

arnie_ni

Crazy he wasn't sold in the summer of the false promise of game time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bang him on an 8 year deal on 140k a week.

Protect his value.

Irwin99

Are Spurs or Arsenal really a higher level then West Ham at the moment?
Traditionally yes, but at the moment no; I think some people are expecting the West Ham bubble to burst at some point too. Not diminishing what they're doing by the way which is great but I wonder if it will last.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry to say but this smacks of the notion from some fans that Man Utd are some holy grail club. We are not any more. You are talking about a West Ham side under Man Utd reject David Moyes that are six points ahead of us in the Premiership, beat Liverpool while we got slaughtered, and look more likely to finish top 4 than we are. He walks into the West Ham side. He did last season. They love him. And they are a better side currently than we are.
The fact he "walks" into their side shows that they aren't actually better than us at all.
The table isn't the full picture until the end of the season.

iHicksy

Just to sum up the absolute state of this club this is the timeline of Lingard:

1. Plays so badly for United Ole shouts at him from the sidelines (Yes he was actually angry enough to get out of the dugout - assume candycrush app crashed on his ipad)
  2. We loan him to West ham after it's made clear he's not in our plans with the idea of selling him on
  3. He does really well - his stock is at an all time high and it's the perfect time to sell. The loan has worked out perfectly
  4. Ole decides he's done so well that he now wants to keep him
  5. Ole promises Jesse first team football to dissuade him wanting to leave
  6. Ole starts Daniel James a transfer listed winger ahead of Jesse
  7. Ole doesn't give Jesse first team minutes as promised (weeps in VDB)
  8. Club offer Lingard new contract (supposedly on lower terms) after breaking promise of first team football
  9. Offer rightly rejected and Lingard now leaves on a free.
Jesus fecking wept.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He wants to fight for his place here but he's posting images of him in a West Ham shirt on Instagram... something doesn't add up to me. Should have been sold years ago, can we please start acting like a football club and get rid of these arses. It's not like they're difficult to replace, Lingards only ever shown one small patch of form at United. Feck him out the door.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

1. Plays so badly for United Ole shouts at him from the sidelines (Yes he was actually angry enough to get out of the dugout - assume candycrush app crashed on his ipad)
  2. We loan him to West ham after it's made clear he's not in our plans with the idea of selling him on
  3. He does really well - his stock is at an all time high and it's the perfect time to sell. The loan has worked out perfectly
  8. Club offer Lingard new contract (supposedly on lower terms) after breaking promise of first team football
Jesus fecking wept.
That about sums it up.

SAFMUTD

Dont care he's leaving, he's overpaid for the role he can do in the squad. So it makes sense for me to offer him less money than what he's currently earning, he didnt like that so fair enough. What I dont understand is why we didnt sold him last summer? why the feck did Ole wanted to keep him if he wasnt going to use him? one year paying his wages and now he'll leave for free.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can't see anyone paying close to what we did for him in the current climate. He has feck all value.
Of course not. When we bought him he was in his mid 20s and one of the finest CMs in the world. Back then he was busy winning league titles and reaching CL finals. Nowadays he's 28 year old, part of a team that is clueless and hasn't won anything for the past 3 years. Rival fans chant our manager's name as their team shit on us at home and yet we can't even sack him. So no, we won't recoup anywhere close to what he's worth just as we wouldn't be able to do that with 80M rated Maguire, 50m rated AWB, 70m rated Sancho, 40m rated VDB etc. Ole and the pandemic tend to have that effect on players.

However Pogba is still considered as a WC winner and a top top player. There's little doubt that under the right manager the guy would excel. On top of that he's very marketable as well. Add that and his value is probably higher then all of Ole's signings bar maybe Bruno. On top of that United had spent silly money on him and to let him go on free again is inexcusable. We'll be laughed at by everyone and this will effect our reputation which in turn will effect our pockets.

As said we should have given him a contract when he wanted one only to sell him once Bruno had settled down. Unfortunately we've got a board that is clueless and a manager who loves hoarding players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I heard he rejected the contract offer as it was less than he current wage.

If true, what the feck does he think he's done to expect a raise?
Sorry late to the party

less = less than he was On surely and not a pay rise? Why would he accept a pay cut?

Someone

Something
It's crazy how we have players that we don't want to play or sell. I couldn't care less about the Glazers losing their money of course, but that money could be invested in other areas. Chelsea have done a great job in recent years selling players. Why do we allow players to run down their contracts is beyond me. Real Madrid in all their might would never let that happen no matter who's the player. Pogba shoud've been pushed out last summer along with Lingard. Crazy mismanaged club.

DevTheRed

Hold no grudge against him at all. This one is on the club.

He can’t force himself onto the pitch, Ole must’ve known he was not going to get minutes, especially with the amount of players we have in forward positions. We could’ve sold him for £20m-£25m but now he will leave on a free. Awful decision making from club officials.

Withnail

Of course not. When we bought him he was in his mid 20s and one of the finest CMs in the world. Back then he was busy winning league titles and reaching CL finals. Nowadays he's 28 year old, part of a team that is clueless and hasn't won anything for the past 3 years. Rival fans chant our manager's name as their team shit on us at home and yet we can't even sack him. So no, we won't recoup anywhere close to what he's worth just as we wouldn't be able to do that with 80M rated Maguire, 50m rated AWB, 70m rated Sancho, 40m rated VDB etc. Ole and the pandemic tend to have that effect on players.

However Pogba is still considered as a WC winner and a top top player. There's little doubt that under the right manager the guy would excel. On top of that he's very marketable as well. Add that and his value is probably higher then all of Ole's signings bar maybe Bruno. On top of that United had spent silly money on him and to let him go on free again is inexcusable. We'll be laughed at by everyone and this will effect our reputation which in turn will effect our pockets.

As said we should have given him a contract when he wanted one only to sell him once Bruno had settled down. Unfortunately we've got a board that is clueless and a manager who loves hoarding players.
Oh sorry well in the context of having given him a new contract and sold him back then I'd probably agree. I didn't realise that's what you meant.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Jesus fecking wept.
You can probably do something similar for Donny, Bailly, and Henderson. Though the latter two actually suckered in and signed new deals

red4ever 79

Fair fecks to Jessie. Never rated him as a starter for us, but hearing Ole waffle bullshit in his press conference how Jessie is an important player and will get games. Jessie was obviously told the same in the summer. The fact he puts a pic of him in a West Ham shirt shows the players don't respect the manager at all.

SER19

Its a false argument to say that people who criticise this must want lingard to stay. I certainly don't. But it should really alarm you that we decided to keep a player who's stock was high, only to never play him then lose him for free.

When you add this to the length we've kept pogba and deals we've given him, how little we've played diallo, van de beek and sancho, you get a very clear picture of a club that is absolutely all over the place. No plan, no direction and generally a laughing stock

julianfr

It is what it is. Dumb@ss club values moneymaking above all else but couldn't even sell him when his stock was high. At least his ridiculous wages will be gone.

Unless of course we decide to offer him a double your money 5 year contract at the last minute...

Lee565

Good on lingard and the same for pogba when he eventually leaves for free and sticking it to the club. the club and the deluded blind loyalty fans deserve to lose out on 100 million worth of talent for nothing with mediocre standards currently allowed at the club.

Says it all really when you have 3 useful players walking out on a free under ole's watch. Some much money the club has thrown the drain thanks to striking by such an awful manager, could have sold tuanzebe after his loan with villa but instead was sat rotting on the bench, same with henderson after his Sheffield united stint and he also forced out a great back up keeper in Romero because of how awful ole managed his playing time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sorry late to the party

less = less than he was On surely and not a pay rise? Why would he accept a pay cut?
If we are talking about a player in the last year of his current contract with an overvalued salary, then there is a logic in taking a long contract that is likely to still be at a good rate since the offer was made after a succesful loan. The alternative being that he is now negotiating from a position where he doesn't have as much hype since he isn't playing.

In a way, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

clarkydaz

In one of Raiola's rants he said along the lines 'Ole needs to remember promises he made to Paul'. So this has been going on for a long time, and so much for his 'man management' which is the only thing people could give him props for

lex talionis

A complete cluster of a club, Manchester United, under current management.

As for Jesse, if he goes on a free in January that's great. He's at an age where he needs to be a regular starter for a decent club or a cover man for a PL contender. We're not a contender for the PL and it makes no sense at all, other than to leverage us for his personal branding "JLingz", to keep him. If he does well at West Ham, which is decent enough, so be it.

But the Jesse Lingard fiasco reminds us, although we need no reminding whatsoever, of squad mismanagement over the last decade going all the way back to the time when Rooney was clearly in decline yet we showered him with a sweet new contract. Moyes with the panic buy of Fellaini all the way to Ole's sanctioning of the acquisition of Donny, whom he refuses to use, has made the club a laughingtock for what will soon be a decade.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A complete cluster of a club, Manchester United, under current management.

As for Jesse, if he goes on a free in January that's great. He's at an age where he needs to be a regular starter for a decent club or a cover man for a PL contender. We're not a contender for the PL and it makes no sense at all, other than to leverage us for his personal branding "JLingz", to keep him. If he does well at West Ham, which is decent enough, so be it.

But the Jesse Lingard fiasco reminds us, although we need no reminding whatsoever, of squad mismanagement over the last decade going all the way back to the time when Rooney was clearly in decline yet we showered him with a sweet new contract. Moyes with the panic buy of Fellaini all the way to Ole's sanctioning of the acquisition of Donny, whom he refuses to use, has made the club a laughingtock for what will soon be a decade.
He certainly won't be going on a free in January.
That's the absolute certainty here.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wanted him sold but for money that could be reinvested into the squad

I’m sure West Ham would have paid 25-30m for him after the season he had for them.

Same thing for Mata he’s been signing one year extensions now for a few years and probably plays about 5 games a season. Completely pointless.
If West Ham had even offered 20M, Woodward would have bitten their hands clean off. The price quoted in the summer was 10M. I can understand the club not doing business at that kind of an offer when West Ham were signing permacrocks like Zouma for 30M instead. The gamble clearly bit us in the arse as West Ham have done well even without him and they were proven right to not have offered desperate sums for a player they can now get on a free.

DutchCruijff

Once again, Dan James has more minutes for us this season than Lingard has had for us in the PL and UCL put together this season.

Dan James left 3 months ago.

Moriarty

Hold no grudge against him at all. This one is on the club.

He can’t force himself onto the pitch, Ole must’ve known he was not going to get minutes, especially with the amount of players we have in forward positions. We could’ve sold him for £20m-£25m but now he will leave on a free. Awful decision making from club officials.
Could have been the main man at West Ham too and probably back in the England squad. I don't blame him for wanting to force his way into the United team because this is his club and he has a history with us but he's not going to get time unless we get a raft of injuries.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maybe Ole was worried that if we suddenly had 25m to rub together we’d just use it to sack him

AaronRedDevil

Can't believe united lost out on 50-80m in transfer sales with Lingard and Pogba. Bunch of morons running the club.

nodlocnost2

The first rule of management in business is that you are straight with the people you manage, I don't altogether blame Jesse for this as he is clearly bitter about promises not kept.