Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Herman Toothrot

The irony of the opinion that Lingard is somehow an "average" footballer is how dishonest the discussion is when you factor in that the odds of the 1.5 million youth players in England ever playing a minute for Manchester United is around 1:416 000. By comparison the odds of being struck by lightning in any given year is about 1:500 000

Jesse Lingard may be an average squad player at Manchester United, or any of the champions league level teams in the Premier League, but by any reasonable metric he is one of the very best footballers on the Island when you factor in that as few as 0.01% of people playing football in the UK ever see the inside of a Premier League arena in front of a crowd.

For Lingards case the media attention is more linked to the fact that he is a English player playing in a high profile club, and a national team player, rather than just because he is Jesse Lingard. If he was a non-national team player playing for Middlesbrough, no one would care. The attention is always linked to the profile of the club you play for.

And again, its worth mentioning that Jesse Lingard was the Premier League POTM for April 2021. Which immediately should disprove any notion of him being a poor player in general. At least if you dont have an agenda and get triggered by young people doing things you cant relate to, like dabbing.
It feels like a slightly disingenuous argument. When you think about it, you can't really call Jay Spearing a poor player when there are 8 billion people in the world and only 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% ever get to fly a fighter jet.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It feels like a slightly disingenuous argument. When you think about it, you can't really call Jay Spearing a poor player when there are 8 billion people in the world and only 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% ever get to fly a fighter jet.
Its not though. You can make a perfectly good argument that Jesse is not good enough for Manchester United, but to suggest that national team players are somehow bad footballers is outright false

Herman Toothrot

Its not though. You can make a perfectly good argument that Jesse is not good enough for Manchester United, but to suggest that national team players are somehow bad footballers is outright false
An average footballer is what people were saying, and half a season at West Ham and a handful of short purple patches at United aside, it's hard to argue against. Is he a better player than me? Yep, but is he better than most Premier League players? No. He's an average to decent player.

Foxbatt

An average footballer is what people were saying, and half a season at West Ham and a handful of short purple patches at United aside, it's hard to argue against. Is he a better player than me? Yep, but is he better than most Premier League players? No. He's an average to decent player.
You never know. On one day that West Ham fan Steve Davies was better than Lee Chapman.

eire-red

What a waste of 2 years of a career, and 2 years of wages from United. Needed to go the summer after Bruno was signed. Stupid decisions from both camps on this one.

I’m loving my life

If true truly deluded.
I would love it if he can’t find a club after this. It would serve him right if he ends up at Accrington Stanley on 50 quid a week

Greedy entitled fecker demanding 180k when he has done literally nothing other than prancing around on social media and spreading poison

Cafer007

Assists not much better. Very poor footballer who finally leaves
Agree that he is not the best footballer or comes across a guy who knows how to conduct himself but at least he didnt cost us much as he is our academy product. so I dont have anything against him. People on forum talk like he was a 100M failure so it surprises me.

We gave him a chance but unfortunately not succeeded here. We spent lot on others who were more underwhelming than Jesse and I am saying this even I was never a fan of Jesse. Good that he played well in few matches under LVG/Jose and we got some loan money from west ham. Nothing more about him so better we move on.

Reactions: Jippy

stevoc

I would love it if he can’t find a club after this. It would serve him right if he ends up at Accrington Stanley on 50 quid a week

Greedy entitled fecker demanding 180k when he has done literally nothing other than prancing around on social media and spreading poison
Given his behaviour over the last year or so in running down his contract I'd be willing to believe he is looking for £180k per week. But he's not going to find that at clubs like West Ham, their top earner is apparently that twat Zouma on £100k per week. So West Ham aren't going to shatter their wage structure and make Lingard their highest paid player on nearly double the next highest paid player.

GiddyUp

Has he considered a collaboration? I belive that is considered a valid form of payment for an influencer.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Apparently after £180k/week from West Ham.

Hes leaving the only club who give out silly contracts, no chance
His rationale is probably that a club has saved £20m on a fee, so he should get it instead and a nice wage on top to get to that £180k a week.

Problem is, he forgets clubs were unwilling to pay ANY transfer fee for him, so the only thing making him a attractive signing is the fact he's a freebie.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Agree that he is not the best footballer or comes across a guy who knows how to conduct himself but at least he didnt cost us much as he is our academy product. so I dont have anything against him. People on forum talk like he was a 100M failure so it surprises me.

We gave him a chance but unfortunately not succeeded here. We spent lot on others who were more underwhelming than Jesse and I am saying this even I was never a fan of Jesse. Good that he played well in few matches under LVG/Jose and we got some loan money from west ham. Nothing more about him so better we move on.
It is more his behavior that annoyed anyone, not how much he cost or not. Acted like an idiot despite being a poor player.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This forum :lol:

One guy pops in and says "heard he's looking for 180k!"

Instantly taken as fact and not questioned.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What date does his contract expire? Is it 30th June
Yes.

This forum :lol:

One guy pops in and says "heard he's looking for 180k!"

Instantly taken as fact and not questioned.
It’s not even that unreasonable when you factor in how it’s likely to be broken down. Assuming that number has come from some media report it’ll be an equivalence rather than a wages figure.

Let’s say his agent is asking for £100k per week, on a 4 year deal. Then a signing on fee of £10m because there’s no transfer fee (a standard thing to request).

Then there’s an agent fee of, say, £5m.

That’s £35.8m, which over 4 years works out at £172k per week, and would give a Sun journo enough to talk about “Lingard demanding deal worth £180k per week”.

That’s even without image rights.

Becks00

Yes.

It’s not even that unreasonable when you factor in how it’s likely to be broken down. Assuming that number has come from some media report it’ll be an equivalence rather than a wages figure.

Let’s say his agent is asking for £100k per week, on a 4 year deal. Then a signing on fee of £10m because there’s no transfer fee (a standard thing to request).

Then there’s an agent fee of, say, £5m.

That’s £35.8m, which over 4 years works out at £172k per week, and would give a Sun journo enough to talk about “Lingard demanding deal worth £180k per week”.

That’s even without image rights.
I don't know if anyone knows how the image rights thing works, I mean how is it monetized over a period of time say a season. I don't really understand how it works and would really like to, I mean a player with the profile of Lingard wouldn't earn much if anything from it or is it that every pro football player has a base amount they would expect to earn from their image rights every season?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't know if anyone knows how the image rights thing works, I mean how is it monetized over a period of time say a season. I don't really understand how it works and would really like to, I mean a player with the profile of Lingard wouldn't earn much if anything from it or is it that every pro football player has a base amount they would expect to earn from their image rights every season?
It fluctuates from player to player but is dependent upon the club making commercial use of their image and also whether the club are willing to pay for that. It’s not something all players have.

Lingard will have an image rights company which will invoice the club once or twice per year for an agreed amount. It will also be where his boot deal and other sponsorship money goes.

choccy77

Can't we just cancel his contract already and literally kick him onto the pavement, with his stupid brother.

Seij

Apparently after £180k/week from West Ham.

Hes leaving the only club who give out silly contracts, no chance
:lol: Don't believe it for a second. Has to be his camp spreading this rumor, but they need to make it at least somewhat believable... WH's highest paid player is the animal abuser at 120k/w.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
:lol: Don't believe it for a second. Has to be his camp spreading this rumor, but they need to make it at least somewhat believable... WH's highest paid player is the animal abuser at 120k/w.
But if WH get JLingz, there won't be a transfer fee. So, over the full term of the contract, it would be cheaper to sign JLingz for free, with high wages, than to buy another player at low wages + a transfer fee.
This is now becoming the default way of thinking among footballers aiming for their last contract - they leave on a free and sign up for big wages.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Given his behaviour over the last year or so in running down his contract I'd be willing to believe he is looking for £180k per week. But he's not going to find that at clubs like West Ham, their top earner is apparently that twat Zouma on £100k per week. So West Ham aren't going to shatter their wage structure and make Lingard their highest paid player on nearly double the next highest paid player.
People in the thread can't even agree on what a contracted player is actually earning, but most immediately believe any random figure a player is rumoured to be requesting.
Bonkers if the Lingards of the world are earning £100k a week full stop.

choccy77

But if WH get JLingz, there won't be a transfer fee. So, over the full term of the contract, it would be cheaper to sign JLingz for free, with high wages, than to buy another player at low wages + a transfer fee.
This is now becoming the default way of thinking among footballers aiming for their last contract - they leave on a free and sign up for big wages.
Depends on how clubs manage transfer fees and wages.

A lot of deals are done over 5 year staggered periods, in that time (especially with United) the player ends up getting a bigger contract and signing fee, so it may not always be the case one is better than the other, in all scenarios.

stevoc

People in the thread can't even agree on what a contracted player is actually earning, but most immediately believe any random figure a player is rumoured to be requesting.
Bonkers if the Lingards of the world are earning £100k a week full stop.
How would anyone actually know though?

You can Google any players wages but all you'll find is probably guesses at best.

choccy77

You can Google any players wages but all you'll find is probably guesses at best.
If United are a publically traded company, the salaries have to be revealed somewhere.

choccy77

Here is what I've found (snippet)

Annual & Per Week

Aaron Wan-Bissaka D 22 £4,680,000 £90,000
Eric Bailly D 26 £4,160,000 £80,000
Phil Jones D 28 £3,900,000 £75,000
Jesse Lingard F 27 £3,900,000 £75,000
Edinson Cavani F 33 £9,640,000 £210,000

stevoc

If United are a publically traded company, the salaries have to be revealed somewhere.
Perhaps so but we were talking about Zouma's wages at West Ham. Haven't enough interest beyond a quick Google for that information.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

That's the thing, particularly with all the appearance bonuses, image rights and all the rest, it's impossible to know. Gives me some hope Sancho isn't on £350k per week! basic

If United are a publicly traded company, the salaries have to be revealed somewhere.
Dunno about US rules, but in the UK you only have to list wage bill and the salary of the board, not all of the staff.

Kaos

June 30 is when his contract expires right? With each day I get increasingly nervous we're going to offer him a new deal.