Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

MrBest

This is the entire problem with the club, egos. I don't care if any of these players got a send off, regardless of how long they have been here. Lingard and his brother can do one, what has lingard shown or done when given the chance. Fact is we could of landed top 4, but these players could not be bothered to do anything about and watched us crash and burn. Lingard can bang on about trophies and years etc, but in reality he was not an essential player, never has been or will be, maybe Ten Hag can use him, maybe he won't. Fact is, Lingard made a very good living here, played games, England starts, he should not be bad mouthing the club or allowing his brother to say that. As for the rest, money grabbing players, the whole lot can go as far as I care and without a goodbye. With the exception of a very few, the fans have zero attachments and it's very rare for majority of us to agree that over 60% of the squad need to be gone.

BarstoolProphet

Did O’Shea or Jonny Evans or Park get send offs? Nope.

All contributed far far more to the club.
Also they are what I personally would classify as good squad players. By no means good enough to be starters over a season but can contribute whenever called upon (by varying degrees - expected more from the likes of Park than O'Shea). They all got criticism for not being good enough to be main men but atleast they contributed. Also helped by the fact we were successful back then.

georgipep

Im sorry but I just disagree with this so much.

Not giving human beings who have spent over 2 decades at the club a sendoff is just shitty, classless behavior and I expect a lot more from this club than that. Manchester United is known for their class and tact. Manchester United has partnered with UNICEF for the past 23 years, the club paid all their matchday staff full wages during covid, the Manchester United Foundation do a lot of tremendous community work in the Manchester area. The club frequently hosts fans with debilitating handicaps to visit the grounds and meet the players, and the players themselves are involved in both the MUFC Foundation and other charities.

We have all sat and listened to speeches of club greats who have been given a microphone at the grass of Old Trafford to say their goodbyes to 80 thousand people and everyone at home watch. From Sir Alex Ferguson, Nemanja Vidic, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Wayne Rooney and more. All club greats with a long and loved story at the club. Common for them all is that they saw tremendous success with the team and lifted trophies. Is that what we are now? We only appreciate players if they lift trophies and dont annoy us on social media?

The people who give speeches give speeches because they are monumental players that deserve the respect. What we can, and should do for players who have been loyal servants is the minimal decency of lettting them run on the pitch of Old Trafford and kick the ball one final time. That is not a lot to ask.

Jesse gets a lot of shit for even being employed here, earning a lot of money and not having playd all that well for a while. Not just shit, but outright hostile toxicity. Ive seen some who have lambasted him for not leaving, conveniently ignoring that the club hierarchy set a price on Jesse that West Ham and Newcastle were unwilling to pay. Jesse wanted to leave to play football, but he couldnt. He was not allowed to because the brass wanted more money than they could get. And Jesse gets blamed.

2 years ago Jesse had perhaps the worst season of his career, and he went to Ole and told him that he was struggling mentally, with issues in his personal life outside of his control that added to it. Outside of the dabs, Jlingz and a desire to go somewhere else to find playingtime you absolute cnuts have forgotten how to behave like adults and be respectful of people.

Who gives a shit if he told Paul Scholes that the dressing room was unhappy? Did you think it was after this season? - Paul Scholes is essentially Manchester United royalty, he is someone who should be able to keep a secret, especially one told in confidence. I dont blame Jesse one bit for talking to Paul about whats going on. Paul should have kept his mouth shut.

Unless ETH says differently, Jesse is now leaving the club. Ralf Rangnick who have spent a cool 5 months at the club without uniting the dressing room, or even trying, in his final act at Old Trafford has decided that 22 years of life at Manchester United was not worthy off a sendoff in front of the home crowd.

Letting players who have spent most of their lives at the club having a few minutes in front of the home crowd is the bare minimum of what they should be given. If we cant do that, we are a nothingclub.

All talk about being ruthless and clinical is genuinely pointless drivel when what happened yesterday could not impact what happens at the club going forward one bit. The only thing it displayed was bitterness and a lack of ability to forgive and reflect.

I dont really care that Jesse had a rough few seasons here. He came out and adressed his personal issues and how it impacted his on-field contribution, he went out on a loan, killed it and came back ready to fight for a spot in the team. He was not successful, but at least he tried.

It leaves me with a bitter taste that there are vultures here that have forgotten how to be decent people. Shame on you
I agree that the club must act respectfully, but there are a few factors to consider here:
a) Lingard and his entourage have taken to social media to shit on the club numerous times.
b) Lingard wanted to leave last summer and again this January. Both of those would've happened without a proper send-off, right? And it wouldn't have been a problem for him then?

The Scholes situation is just the cherry on top.

I am all for caring for other people in their hour of need. Sure. But this is more "turning the other cheek". And I don't think the club should've gone above and beyond to cater to him after there is serious disrespect on his side.

Ok, the club didn't allow you to leave. So what? You have a contract, be professional. This acting like a hurt victim is a bit much for my liking.

Jordan_mufc

I think a similar comparison would be Danny Welbeck. Academy boy, did okay for United, a couple of standout moments (league win, bernabeau goal).

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't get a send off, nor was a big deal made out of it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think a similar comparison would be Danny Welbeck. Academy boy, did okay for United, a couple of standout moments (league win, bernabeau goal).

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't get a send off, nor was a big deal made out of it.
It's ridiculous to whine about this, he can feck off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Another one. The speed at which these people defend some players and leave others hanging is incredible.
Heaps of irony here. The client journalists who are showing loyalty to one of their constant sources are now having to report on something that is directly the result of Lingard being one of their constant sources.

downunder red

It is pretty simple, if he deserved a send off he would of got one but he didn"t deserve one. He has been crap for years now.
On top of that with the media leaks and photos in a West Ham shirt he is lucky he was not sacked.
Oh and if the journalists are not happy they can have a walk out at the next Ralph presser.

Lappen

Mata, Matic and Cavani have all told everyone they are leaving, have Lindgard done that? I know its the end of his contract but is it not still reumors about an offer on the table.

Did he say good buy to all the fans after the game?

crossy1686

career ending
He should have thought about his United send off when he was posing in West Ham shirts after United defeats. He's shown them more respect than he's shown United. He's fecking lucky he's still in a position to have a potential send off!

crossy1686

career ending
Mata, Matic and Cavani have all told everyone they are leaving, have Lindgard done that? I know its the end of his contract but is it not still reumors about an offer on the table.

Did he say good buy to all the fans after the game?
He hasn't said he's leaving, the closest we got to hearing that news was Ralf telling a fan at the end of a game (who asked him to play Lingard more) "What's the point? He's leaving anyway".

Lingard then came out and called Ralf a liar on social media...

GBBQ

Was he prevented from saying goodbye when other players got to do so? That's the comparison. I'd have been fine if none of them got a chance to say goodbye but when a point was made of it for Mata and Matic then i would have much preferred Lingard to get the minutes over Cavani (who has sited himself and barely played in his two seasons). Whatever you feel personally about Lingard, he's been at the club for 20 years and was infinitely more deserving of one more appearance in a United jersey at old trafford than Cavani. The game was wrapped up and win lose or draw we were probably finishing 6th this season anyway so it just seems petty to pick Cavani over Lingard.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Nah... that sounds like something a covidiot would say. "the signs are everywhere!" ... well, yeah, if you're looking for em!
Not really.

There were certain journalists that covered the Newcastle loan in great detail throughout January, so much so that they could probably map the movements for the whole month of everyone involved in the deal.

I'm not suggesting Lingard is responsible for all leaks but he clearly has "friends" in the media.

It's not exactly new for players/managers to use the media to spin stories to paint them in a positive light.

There's probably several players leaking things but Lingard is almost certainly one of them (or could be his brother based on the Instagram story).

crossy1686

career ending
Was he prevented from saying goodbye when other players got to do so? That's the comparison. I'd have been fine if none of them got a chance to say goodbye but when a point was made of it for Mata and Matic then i would have much preferred Lingard to get the minutes over Cavani (who has sited himself and barely played in his two seasons). Whatever you feel personally about Lingard, he's been at the club for 20 years and was infinitely more deserving of one more appearance in a United jersey at old trafford than Cavani. The game was wrapped up and win lose or draw we were probably finishing 6th this season anyway so it just seems petty to pick Cavani over Lingard.
The thing about send off's is, you usually get one if you earned it or deserve one.

Gavinb33

Whats sad to me is there are players from United's past who will be remembered more fondly than Jesse that did not achieve what he did (2 cup final goals), however some of this is largely down to Jesse Lingard himself and people associated to him and their own actions.

And crying over no send off there are so many examples of players not getting a send off this doesnt sit well with me you arent owed anything.

el3mel

I wouldn't have subbed Cavani on and I don't get why he's so liked. He's taken the piss this season.

But I still don't think that means anything in regards to Lingard. He didn't deserve a send off, he should be thankful he managed to get paid and stick around about 4 or 5 years longer than he should have. He had the cup final goals in 2016 and 2017 and one good run of form in 2018.

He's done almost nothing for Utd in the 4 years since.
I don't disagree his attitude sucked and he was mostly an awful player for United bar those 2-3 years under LVG and Mourinho, and also I'm not sympathizing with him in any way. I have shown several times in his performance threads that I dislike him, his antics and his football.

I just see no harm in giving him this few minutes cameo. Wouldn't have hurt us that's all. Felt unnecessary.

GBBQ

The thing about send off's is, you usually get one if you earned it or deserve one.
His FA Cup winning goal trumps anything Cavani has done for United. Matic is hardly an all conquering United legend either to be fair so I'm not sure how he "deserved" it over Lingard.

ryansgirl

Not giving human beings who have spent over 2 decades at the club a sendoff is just shitty, classless behavior and I expect a lot more from this club than that. Manchester United is known for their class and tact. Manchester United has partnered with UNICEF for the past 23 years, the club paid all their matchday staff full wages during covid, the Manchester United Foundation do a lot of tremendous community work in the Manchester area. The club frequently hosts fans with debilitating handicaps to visit the grounds and meet the players, and the players themselves are involved in both the MUFC Foundation and other charities.

We have all sat and listened to speeches of club greats who have been given a microphone at the grass of Old Trafford to say their goodbyes to 80 thousand people and everyone at home watch. From Sir Alex Ferguson, Nemanja Vidic, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Wayne Rooney and more. All club greats with a long and loved story at the club. Common for them all is that they saw tremendous success with the team and lifted trophies. Is that what we are now? We only appreciate players if they lift trophies and dont annoy us on social media?

The people who give speeches give speeches because they are monumental players that deserve the respect. What we can, and should do for players who have been loyal servants is the minimal decency of lettting them run on the pitch of Old Trafford and kick the ball one final time. That is not a lot to ask.

Jesse gets a lot of shit for even being employed here, earning a lot of money and not having playd all that well for a while. Not just shit, but outright hostile toxicity. Ive seen some who have lambasted him for not leaving, conveniently ignoring that the club hierarchy set a price on Jesse that West Ham and Newcastle were unwilling to pay. Jesse wanted to leave to play football, but he couldnt. He was not allowed to because the brass wanted more money than they could get. And Jesse gets blamed.

2 years ago Jesse had perhaps the worst season of his career, and he went to Ole and told him that he was struggling mentally, with issues in his personal life outside of his control that added to it. Outside of the dabs, Jlingz and a desire to go somewhere else to find playingtime you absolute cnuts have forgotten how to behave like adults and be respectful of people.

Who gives a shit if he told Paul Scholes that the dressing room was unhappy? Did you think it was after this season? - Paul Scholes is essentially Manchester United royalty, he is someone who should be able to keep a secret, especially one told in confidence. I dont blame Jesse one bit for talking to Paul about whats going on. Paul should have kept his mouth shut.

Unless ETH says differently, Jesse is now leaving the club. Ralf Rangnick who have spent a cool 5 months at the club without uniting the dressing room, or even trying, in his final act at Old Trafford has decided that 22 years of life at Manchester United was not worthy off a sendoff in front of the home crowd.

Letting players who have spent most of their lives at the club having a few minutes in front of the home crowd is the bare minimum of what they should be given. If we cant do that, we are a nothingclub.

All talk about being ruthless and clinical is genuinely pointless drivel when what happened yesterday could not impact what happens at the club going forward one bit. The only thing it displayed was bitterness and a lack of ability to forgive and reflect.

I dont really care that Jesse had a rough few seasons here. He came out and adressed his personal issues and how it impacted his on-field contribution, he went out on a loan, killed it and came back ready to fight for a spot in the team. He was not successful, but at least he tried.

It leaves me with a bitter taste that there are vultures here that have forgotten how to be decent people. Shame on you
Well written sir, I can`t believe some of the nonsense and sheer slander that has been written about Jesse around here. One of the milder posts accused him of having `stopped working` - Jesse`s been a consistent worker on the pitch when representing United, he is one of the minority of United players over the past few years who can hold his head high due to actually busting his guts and not dropping his head when the team looked lost on the pitch.

His off the ball movement has been better than quite a few of the big names in the team and he still would be a good player to keep in a time of transition. Then there`s the almost puritanical condemning of off-pitch social media posts and activities including that time at the hotel which certainly fall nowhere in the category of criminal and are mild compared to what young professional sportsmen can get up to with their money and free time.

The same people who condemn Jesse condemn Marcus R as apparently having an attitude that `stinks` and not giving a damn about the club he grew up in. He`s had a rough time the last few years but it is down to what many sports pros have gone through in their careers and as some have shown us, they have the class and strength to overcome it.

hobbers

Yeh there was no send off for Welbeck. He didn't expect one, ask for one, care that he didn't get one. No mention of it in the media. No bought-and-paid-for stories about how the club disrespected Welbeck by letting him leave without a completely meaningless round of applause from OT. Just like all the other players who left before this age of the players being bigger than the club.

I don't care if it's an academy product, if they've been here since they were 5, if they've won trophies or not. Unless you are a club legend you dont deserve a special send off. And we can do without the hysteria from any player or tabloid hack who thinks they have the right to demand one.

crossy1686

career ending
His FA Cup winning goal trumps anything Cavani has done for United. Matic is hardly an all conquering United legend either to be fair so I'm not sure how he "deserved" it over Lingard.
They didn't, so imagine how much you would have to piss people off not to get 10 minutes in the last game at OT? He joined in the lap of appreciation anyway so people got to say goodbye. It's not like they chucked a bag over his head and dragged him outside when the final whistle went.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Good points on Welbeck, O'Shea, etc. I'd add Jonny Evans, Rafael and Fabio to the list. They were discarded, some harshly and there were hardly any media stories talking about how they didn't get send offs.

If anything, the fact that the media are quick to defend Lingard has me convinced he has friends in the industry.

crossy1686

career ending
Good points on Welbeck, O'Shea, etc. I'd add Jonny Evans, Rafael and Fabio to the list. They were discarded, some harshly and there were hardly any media stories talking about how they didn't get send offs.

If anything, the fact that the media are quick to defend Lingard has me convinced he has friends in the industry.
Beckham, Butt, Neville and Keane didn't get send off's, but Jesse needs a guard of honour apparently

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If they are crying about a public send-off in front of the OT then they should be thank the club because they saved Jesse from an embarrasing round of boos and jeers.
Maybe the club could have have done something as a statement thanking Jesse or something but other than that, the delusion is very strong

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

The fans had chanted ‘f off Pogba’ a couple of games ago, and even in yesterday’s game even though he was probably watching from home.

There’s every chance Jesse would have had the same reaction, so perhaps it was a decision made with that in mind and not to sour the atmosphere in the stadium.

In any case, I feel it’s much ado about nothing. Ralf’s the boss and ultimately it’s his decision to make who plays and who doesn’t play.

Danny Welbeck was with the club over 20 years, had a vital role in our last league win, and was loved by the fans (some fans still want him back!). You didn’t see him pissing and moaning.

Last edited:

Irwin99

We obviously don't know what's gone on behind the scenes but his relationship with Ralf was pretty bad from the sounds of things; called out for missing a game in January and then defended himself via social media, then the whole 'you'd have to ask Jesse' quote recently. Also, all the journalists rushing to defend him looks a tad suspicious in light of the fact that we're a club that has a lot of leaks to the press.

Again, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but if Ralf feels that Jessie has undermined him then he has every right to not put him in the team or give him a charitable send off...he's the manager for fecks sake.

NewYorkRed

The fans had chanted ‘f off Pogba’ a couple of games ago, and even in yesterday’s game even though he was probably watching from home.

There’s every chance Jesse would have had the same reaction, so perhaps it was a decision made with that in mind and not to sour the atmosphere in the stadium.

In any case, I feel it’s much ado about nothing. Ralf’s the boss and ultimately it’s his decision to make who plays and who doesn’t play.

Danny Welbeck was with the club over 20 years, had a vital role in our last league win, and was loved by the fans (still fans still want him back!). You didn’t see him pissing and moaning.
Spot on with the Welbeck comp- although def don't want him back haha. Kiko Macheda did more for this club in 20 seconds than Jesse did in 20 years and he was gone without crying like Jesse is. This is just Jesse being Jesse; an entitled spoilt little brat who think's he's far more important than he is.

Jordan_mufc

If I'm honest, I'm quite sure something has gone on behind the scenes that we aren't privvy too.

I would not be surprised if Lingard was one of the players making life difficult for Ralf.

Besides, my opinion is that no one really deserves a send off unless you're a club legend. I'm sure if Lingard came on with 2 mins to go he probably would've complained about not starting. A true send off would have been giving it your all for the last few months, rather than chatting to Scholesy about the dressing room

the_cliff

Didn't he just last week tell Scholes the dressing room is a disaster ?

Maybe he should've thought about that first if he wanted a send off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why the feck would we give Jesse Lingard of all people a sending off!? :lol:

youngrell

If they are crying about a public send-off in front of the OT then they should be thank the club because they saved Jesse from an embarrasing round of boos and jeers.
Maybe the club could have have done something as a statement thanking Jesse or something but other than that, the delusion is very strong
The club probably did have plans to do something at the end of the season, but imagine that may even be scrapped after this.

m1tch

Bent says it best here.
The two ex-pro footballers here relaying that a send off wasn't necessary and it's his fault that this year has been like it has for him.

The host reflecting some of the posters on here on the other hand. Thinking there's any good arguments for letting him go in January (rebuffed by the ex-pros) and thinking that last night was a testimonial for mediocre players that have been here far too long.

Ralf probably saved Jesse from a slating from sections of the crowd, he's done him a favour.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given he's rumoured to be the rat in the camp leaking shit he didn't deserve a send off

Feck him and his twat of a brother

Gavinb33

This should close this one for sure Bryan Robson wasn't even picked on the bench for the cup final against Chelsea that would have been his last game for us.

If Jesse didn't get on he needs to look at himself in the mirror and ask himself why

romufc

He should have thought about his United send off when he was posing in West Ham shirts after United defeats. He's shown them more respect than he's shown United. He's fecking lucky he's still in a position to have a potential send off!
This. Posting pictures of West Ham, getting your brother to post about being prisoned by United.

He should just leave at this point, no one really cares.