Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sadly I'm not sure Mata made a good stake for it when he came on. Minute by minute, pound for pound he might have been just as mediocre
Probably true, I'm not a fan of Mata, but he can't start Lingard. Lets see what happens

JohnnyKills

Lingard's movement is quality and he is one of the key parts of the pressing game we've started to play. But yeah, his output is frustrating.

GMoore23

Did Jesse Lingard score or assist a PL goal?

May 2018: no
Aug 2018: no
Sep 2018: no
Oct 2018: no
Nov 2018: no
Dec 2018: YES (4G 2A)
Jan 2019: no
Feb 2019: no
Mar 2019: no
Apr 2019: no
May 2019: no
Aug 2019: no

Silent Domination?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Lingard's movement is quality and he is one of the key parts of the pressing game we've started to play. But yeah, his output is frustrating.
We should have players with quality with the ball, without is not half as relevant. Lingard does not have it and if Ole keeps playing him, we will suffer

Baneofthegame

Outside of pressing/running, his touch is awful, his vision non existent and he is basically an attacking negative.

If Mata didn’t look like he was stuck in quicksand every time he runs, he would be starting RB every game.

I’d be happier to play Pogba there and try Fred next to McTominay, or just throw Gomes in the deep end.

Raw

Silent Domination?
It's honestly inexcusable that a player with these stats is starting as a #10 for us. Pretty sure half those goals/assists were against Cardiff too.

swred

If Lingard's finishing & passing was as good as his pressing & movement, he'd be a decent player!

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's gone past just being frustrating now. It's horrendous.

No goals or assists in the league, one goal no assists in all competitions, since Boxing Day? There's only so long his movement and pressing can used to excuse that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

No goals or assists in the league, one goal no assists in all competitions, since Boxing Day? There's only so long his movement and pressing can used to excuse that.
And people justify his place in the squad because of the pressing and movement blah blah.

Have you ever seen any team with a dedicated player just for pressing? He plays as an attacker and should be contributing but the chances of that happening are closer zero.

freeurmind

weak willed
This season is last chance saloon for him. If he doesn't produce then we need to move on. Gomes, Greenwood and Chong can all play his position.

TRUERED89

This might sound a bit silly, but if we had someone like KDB or similar.. Lingard would look so much better, if you watch closely Lingard makes a lot of penetrating runs inbetween oppo back 4, that get completely ignored, if someone actually picked their head up and could find a good weighted pass we'd be in all the time..

Cassidy

This might sound a bit silly, but if we had someone like KDB or similar.. Lingard would look so much better, if you watch closely Lingard makes a lot of penetrating runs inbetween oppo back 4, that get completely ignored, if someone actually picked their head up and could find a good weighted pass we'd be in all the time..
Like Pogba... Lingard wasn't making any runs last night

TRUERED89

Like Pogba... Lingard wasn't making any runs last night
Pogba was way too deep at times, watch the first half again from the right side when James and AWB had the ball, Lingard was right up against the back 4 many times waiting for the ball to be released, only for it to be recycled around to our CB's again...

Cassidy

Pogba was way too deep at times, watch the first half again from the right side when James and AWB had the ball, Lingard was right up against the back 4 many times waiting for the ball to be released, only for it to be recycled around to our CB's again...
Indeed standing and not actually making a run, the lack of movement across the whole forward line was bad yesterday

Marty1968

Last night's game was the first time he really looked like he had no place in the team. Last season's mediocrity across the board meant that he blended in a little with other poor performers but last night is the first game where I've seen every other player on the pitch totally outshine him. Yes, he runs around and presses defenders but as a no.10 he needs to do soooo much more.

Maybe he'll get better but can't see it based on last night's performance.

JoaquinJoaquin

If we had Messi, Lingard might be better :rolleyes:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I saw Lingard stand in no man's land several time, staying behind a Wolves player, it would require crazy precision and pace to find him in those conditions.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thank god we've got the kids from academy. They bailed us out right?

Seriously, this is exactly what I was expecting. We keep hammering about how good kids are at preseason only for us to rely on the same old players when it truly matters.

TRUERED89

I saw Lingard stand in no man's land several time, staying behind a Wolves player, it would require crazy precision and pace to find him in those conditions.
Not necessarily all the time, often it was a clear straight pass, that just got ignored and ball just went sideways/backwards again..

Smores

He was way too far forward last night, barely gave Pogba and McTominay an option which meant they had to always go through the fullbacks.

He won't get dropped though Ole thinks he's good enough or we'd have signed someone.

JoaquinJoaquin

He hides and refuses to make runs on purpose at times so he doesn't have to recieve the ball.

Kemizee

Still dont get the logic where it's more beneficial that Ole would rather have lingard in our line up over eriksen because they sensed we weren't his first choice club when the reality is most players want to play in Spain for either Barcelona or Madrid, like he would have even downed tools had he come here as he's always come across as a model professional
You really believe we wanted Eriksen? IMO it was nothing but a fake attempt by Ed to make it look like we had a flurry of activities towards the last days of the window but we weren't successful. The board didn't wanna spend any money again after Maguire. We had the Lukaku money and would have easily matched Eriksen's salary with the departing Lukaku's . We had no intention of bringing in anyone else.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Silent Domination?
Im a fan of Lingard for his movement and ball retention but its very difficult to argue with those stats for an attacking player

Does anyone know where I can find good stats comparing pre-assists (aka secondary assist) for PL players? Would be interesting to see if Lingard fares better on that measure which is usually overlooked but actually very important

Andersons Dietician

If Lingard's finishing & passing was as good as his pressing & movement, he'd be a decent player!
His world class movement is a myth. Running a lot does not equal good movement. I mean I think it’s at 19 minutes. Watch him run behind one player, to another player, then back to another player and repeat where no one can get a pass to him. There is also a moment later on where McT has the ball and is waiting for someone to drop in to a space and the closest person is Jesse and he doesn’t even move.

Jacob

Im a fan of Lingard for his movement and ball retention but its very difficult to argue with those stats for an attacking player

Does anyone know where I can find good stats comparing pre-assists (aka secondary assist) for PL players? Would be interesting to see if Lingard fares better on that measure which is usually overlooked but actually very important
I wouldn't say very important. The chances of having ridiculous pre-assists are very high. Ridiculous in the sense that the assister and goalscorer were exclusively to credit for the goal.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

And people justify his place in the squad because of the pressing and movement blah blah.

Have you ever seen any team with a dedicated player just for pressing? He plays as an attacker and should be contributing but the chances of that happening are closer zero.
The funny thing is that Anyone can be made to press for the team. If Ole has managed to get Martial of all people pressing consistently then i don't know why it'd be a monumental task and ask to find any other player that will be willing to press as instructed. Lingard meriting a place in the staring line up because of his pressing is one of the saddest if not the saddest reason ever to have him start games for us.

Those stats are downright awful. Beyond terrible and acceptable, especially given his role in the team. We play a 4231 system with him being our 10 yet he has LITERALLY no end product for a good 9 months. That's tragic.

Alexit

Squad player at best! "Bang average" as you English lot say (you do say that right? :nervous:)

His outing vs Wolves summed up why we need a proper player to attack from the right.

settembrini

I can see why Solskjaer wants him in the team but if he doesn't start scoring and creating then Gomes should be given a chance.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Pre assist stats numbers. What the hell is that :lol:

You mean we'll start crediting him for things like the simple 2 yards pass he made to Pogba before the latter ping that long ball assist to Rashford, or the ball he gave to Perreira who then curled in a cross that led to Martial goal against Chelsea or the pass to Rashford who then proceeded to put a through ball to Martial who scored? Those type of stats?

Well then LinGod is the best there is out there if this how we're gonna play this stat game.

Seriously though, simple 2 yards passes that shift the responsibility and burden of creativity to the receiving player shouldn't be given some sort extra weight :lol:

redshaw

Picking up where he left off. I'd give Gomes some of his minutes.

Real shame Lingard can't contribute, he went on a purple patch scoring 17 goals but has been rubbish for nearly a year now and producing air shots.

I remember his game against Arsenal a few years ago, he helped closing down their players and we got a 2-0 lead through him but I don't see that Lingard now either. We know what he can do or has done but he is just not delivering in a United shirt for a long time.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I wouldn't say very important. The chances of having ridiculous pre-assists are very high. Ridiculous in the sense that the assister and goalscorer were exclusively to credit for the goal.
Not really the right thread to be arguing about the value of the pre-assist - I personally think its an interesting stat to look at, things have moved on a lot since when only assists and goals are of any value

Anyway this is the only source I could find for last season pre-assists and Lingard is nowhere to be found so its not getting any better for him!
Lukaku highest on the list for us followed by Martial, Pogba and Young.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/b08gxl/premier_league_players_ranked_by_amount_of/

JoaquinJoaquin

Pre assist stats numbers. What the hell is that :lol:

You mean we'll start crediting him for things like the simple 2 yards pass he made to Pogba before the latter ping that long ball assist to Rashford, or the ball he gave to Perreira who then curled in a cross that led to Martial goal against Chelsea or the pass to Rashford who then proceeded to put a through ball to Martial who scored? Those type of stats?

Well then LinGod is the best there is out there if this how we're gonna play this stat game.

Seriously though, simple 2 yards passes that shift the responsibility and burden of creativity to the receiving player shouldn't be given some sort extra weight :lol:
Desperate people do desperate things mate :D

Ekeke

Not really the right thread to be arguing about the value of the pre-assist - I personally think its an interesting stat to look at, things have moved on a lot since when only assists and goals are of any value

Anyway this is the only source I could find for last season pre-assists and Lingard is nowhere to be found so its not getting any better for him!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/b08gxl/premier_league_players_ranked_by_amount_of/
Why would the pass before the assist be any more important than the pass before the pass before the assist?

Either one could have been the more creative pass. But with a key pass or assist you at least know that the pass gave someone the chance to get a shot away

Djemba-Djemba

What about pre - pre- assists?

Status
Not open for further replies.